Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2011, 17:36   #151
BHPian

Re: Enfield Queries

Hey guys i am thinking of getting the engine painted black. Please tell me if there are any disadvantages? Also should i go for normal black paint or powder coating?
Old 15th November 2011, 01:12   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
Guys despite of multiple attempts in tuning, on engine retard my LB misfires on non stock silencer. I tried goldstar, goldstar with glasswool, megafone, and now i have custom made mini goldstar. specially in 2-3 gear on throttle release that fat fat sound is bound to come. any specific remedy for this?
The Timing needs to be retarded or richen the fuel by going 1/2 or 3/4th of a turn more, anti clockwise, on the fuel screw in the bottom of the carb. It should work.
Old 15th November 2011, 16:26   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky_1605 View Post
Hey guys i am thinking of getting the engine painted black. Please tell me if there are any disadvantages? Also should i go for normal black paint or powder coating?
Normal black paint will start peeling off due to variance in temperature due to engine overheating and then cooling.
powder coating seems to be the better option here.And try the matt black finish
Old 16th November 2011, 01:26   #154
Senior - BHPian

Hello people,
A Query from my side.

Tyre upgrade for the classic 500.
Which brand ? which variant ? any need for up size?

Thanks!
Old 16th November 2011, 10:08   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post
Normal black paint will start peeling off due to variance in temperature due to engine overheating and then cooling.
powder coating seems to be the better option here.And try the matt black finish
I was thinking of matt black only . How much does powder coating cost? I am on a tight budget as I have to get the whole bike painted. .
Old 17th November 2011, 22:14   #156
BHPian

Quote:
I was thinking of matt black only . How much does powder coating cost? I am on a tight budget as I have to get the whole bike painted. .

Dont paint the engine .... Just sand blast it in my opinion.

The cylinder is designed to take the heat off the engine and painting it will trap the heat inside. The sole reason for any paint to chip off the cylinder is the heat that is emitted from the engine.

Sandblasting and or buffing the entire engine and covers also gives a fabulous look.

Powder - coating is a high maintenance job. If you are short on money don't do it as its not a one time process and unless you are keen on spending more to maintain it.

Even if still you are keen on painting the engine then do it simply by taking any basic water based paint (like berger or asian paints) apply it to the engine. Its much easier to take it off the engine or repaint as DIY if the paint chips off.

Those were my opinions based on my experiences. No pun intended to anyone.

Cheers - Peace.

Last edited by The Great : 17th November 2011 at 22:20.
The Great is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2011, 22:24   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
Hello people,
A Query from my side.

Tyre upgrade for the classic 500.
Which brand ? which variant ? any need for up size?

Thanks!
Have a look at my tyres in this link.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...please-56.html
Old 18th November 2011, 00:26   #158
Distinguished - BHPian

Ricky

There are a number of paints that are available but their thermal conductivity can vary greatly.
I don't know if Krylon paint is sold in India but it basically comes in a spray can.
There are several different kinds of paint that is sold under that brand name and the common black spray paint creates a thermal barrier. In other words it is like putting an insulation on your engine.

Because the RE is an air cooled engine, any insulation that is applied to it will keep the engines heat from escaping. This will result in the engine running hotter.

There is also a Krylon paint that is made for use on charcoal grills, (often referred to in the US as a barbecue) and radiant heaters
This black paint is specifically made to resist high temperatures of up to 1200 degrees F or 649 degrees C for short periods of time and 600 degrees (316 degrees C) continuous duty.
This paint is highly conductive to heat, transfering almost all of the heat from the painted object to the air. The information I have says the heat transfer is so high it is almost like no paint was on the surface at all.

http://www.amazon.com/Krylon-1402-al.../dp/B000B91036

Because common paints insulate I cannot recommend that any of these types of paint should be used on an air cooled engine.

If you can find a specialty paint that is made specifically for high temperature use like painting radiant heaters or BBQ's then it should be safe to use.

While on the subject of heat transfer, Black is a much better color than any other color.

I hope this information helps you.

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 18th November 2011 at 00:27.
ArizonaJim is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2011, 10:58   #159
BHPian

On legality of vertical front numberplate

Hello all, I have a 2009 RE Standard 350, and have just picked up the front numberplate that is mounted vertically on the front mudguard. Does anyone have any experience on how cops react to this numberplate? I would definitely remove the one below the headlight once I have this fitted. Also, since this is the KA-03-xx-xxxx number, I'm guessing the font size would be a bit small.

Anyone been pulled over for such an issue, especially in Bangalore?

Cheers!
Old 18th November 2011, 16:35   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avkurian View Post
On legality of vertical front numberplate

Hello all, I have a 2009 RE Standard 350, and have just picked up the front numberplate that is mounted vertically on the front mudguard. Does anyone have any experience on how cops react to this numberplate? I would definitely remove the one below the headlight once I have this fitted. Also, since this is the KA-03-xx-xxxx number, I'm guessing the font size would be a bit small.

Anyone been pulled over for such an issue, especially in Bangalore?

Cheers!
There is no problem with the front mudguard mounted numberplate.. I have ridden my bullet like that for 10 yrs and have never been caught for that. Cant say about bangalore though as i am in mumbai.
Old 20th November 2011, 11:19   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
Dont paint the engine .... Just sand blast it in my opinion.

The cylinder is designed to take the heat off the engine and painting it will trap the heat inside. The sole reason for any paint to chip off the cylinder is the heat that is emitted from the engine.

Sandblasting and or buffing the entire engine and covers also gives a fabulous look.

Powder - coating is a high maintenance job. If you are short on money don't do it as its not a one time process and unless you are keen on spending more to maintain it.

Even if still you are keen on painting the engine then do it simply by taking any basic water based paint (like berger or asian paints) apply it to the engine. Its much easier to take it off the engine or repaint as DIY if the paint chips off.

Those were my opinions based on my experiences. No pun intended to anyone.

Cheers - Peace.
Actually I am thinking of getting my bike repainted and I had matte blue color for the body and matte black for engine, rims and chassis in mind but as I am going to do some touring also, I don't think getting the engine painted is a good idea. Now I have to change the colour combination ...
Old 22nd November 2011, 14:11   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
Guys despite of multiple attempts in tuning, on engine retard my LB misfires on non stock silencer. I tried goldstar, goldstar with glasswool, megafone, and now i have custom made mini goldstar.
Very low exhaust back pressure is not great for the valves.
Anyways, check the spark plug gap. I reckon, the spark plug gap is set too wide apart.

Last edited by jeeva : 22nd November 2011 at 14:13.
jeeva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2011, 14:15   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva View Post
Very low exhaust back pressure is not great for the valves.
Anyways, check the spark plug gap. I reckon, the spark plug gap is set too wide apart.
Let me check this as well. In the mean time i have decided to change carb, and going for VM28.

Looking for 27.5 Pilot Jet.
Old 22nd November 2011, 20:11   #164
BHPian

Re: Enfield Queries (need Help on Prices)

I have given my bike (Electra 2004) for a complete service. It was lying unused for 8-9 months and this long monsoon has left a nice impression on the metal parts.
The bike started on a single kick with a fresh battery (I knew battery would be dead, so did not unnecessarily kick it a hundred times before getting a battery) after this long hibernation. So, I think the mechanicals are alright.

Plus I have not had any major service done on the bike yet, and I am under guilt for that.

I have given it to Sekhar Anna A.K.A Mucchad (Guy with big mustache) in Mulund Dumping Road.

He has given me the below estimate. I request team bhpians to tell me if the prices are good or way above normal.

1. Water Wash - 150
2. Full Lock set with Petrol tank cover - 750
3. Switch Net (My ignition key was loose, I think this is the inside part of the ignition key) - 110
4. Full Cable Set (accelerator, clutch, speedometer etc) - 335
5. Air Filter - 200
6. Air Filter Box - 900
7. Indicator Light (4) - 650
8. Tail Light (New classic type) - 250
9. Number plate (the plates are bent, he'll straighten them up and repaint) - 300
10. Short Bottle Silencer (Indore) - 1800
11. Mirrors (2) - 450
12. Petrol Tap (Metal type, the electra has this hangy plastic bottle with platic tap kind of thing. I have meaning to replace it for last 7 years) - 200
13. Seat Modification (Will do some metal work on the seat frame and re-stitch the seat cover - the seat height will be lowered by 1.5 inches approx) - 450 (for metal work) + 350 (for stiching and stuff)
14. LHS Switch Gear - 525
15. Oil (3 Liters) - 875
16. Oil Filter - 40
17. Engine Block painting (and will add some kind of a sleeve type of thing where the bend pipe connects to engine block. This will help in some heat related matter which will prevent my bend pipe from getting browning. It's quite brown now, so I took it) - 150
18. Paste (for some cleaning etc) - 45
19. Brake Shoes - 85
20. Air filter rubber (there was no connection between the air filter in the triangular box and the air filter in the square box. He said there should be a rubber pipe) - 90
21. One straight bar type crash guard - 750

A total of Rs. 9370/-.

After this, I will get myself a set of alloys and tubeless tyres. Sekhar Anna (the mechanic) told me Rado alloys for disc brake bullets will cost about Rs. 7000/- a set. Is this good price?

Where in Mumbai can I get good quality (branded) alloy wheels for bullet? I think it has 19 inch rims.
Old 22nd November 2011, 22:13   #165
BHPian

Re: Enfield Queries (need Help on Prices)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2009 View Post
I have given my bike (Electra 2004) for a complete service. ......
hi sen2009, i recently picked up an acc cable, clutch cable and air filter for my std 350 from RE dealer in chennai. They costed 40, 59, 140 respectively.
Also had put the short bottle silencer last year and I dont think it was above 1100 - Did not change the bend pipe though.

cheers
ZedMae is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks