Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2012, 07:37   #226
BHPian

Re: Enfield Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by desideep View Post
Dont you worry lee just get the gears adjusted ...
This should work since the slip happens one way. Get the shifter mechanism adjusted best & if it doesn't help you'll have to open the g'box. Had it been slipping out during up & down shifts it could have been linked straight to spline/ dog wear. keep us posted. cheers...
Rennjit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2012, 17:46   #227
BHPian

OE free flow filter ?

Anyone here tried replacing the newer round air filter (inside tool box) with the one from Ci 500 or older Ci 350's? Meaning, put old types in place of new inside the toolbox itself.

replaceRoyal Enfield Queries-oe-new.jpgwithRoyal Enfield Queries-oe-ci500.jpgorRoyal Enfield Queries-old-350.jpg

I got hold of a Ci500 filter packed by RE itself in end 2011 & surprisingly the paper(?) media is having clear pin holes making it more of a free flow. One can see light thru them Those of old Ci350's are made of cloth /foam but still might breath more in comparison to latest ones.
All this as an attempt to improve intake of a Ci350 with OE- clone filters, not the proclaimed free flows. You guys got some Info to share pls?
Old 13th February 2012, 02:54   #228
BHPian

Mid Life Crisis for my RE Thunderbird... Help and Advise Needed

Note from the Team-BHP Support : Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this. Thanks

Hi Guys.. searched around this and a few other threads.. didn't find my answer... so this post..!

I have one of the first Thunderbirds that RE made, Engine Number has a few zeros followed by a 2 digit number.. that's it..

Its been 10 years now since i have owned it, and done some awesome rides all over the south, west and the usual pilgrimage (read Leh/ Ladakh) on it. It now deserves a facelift.. Even today, it runs like a charm, but looks a bit old and worn out.

Am based in Bangalore and am looking for advise / help on what all can be done to improve, make it new and go on for the next 10 years.. And.. more importantly, pointers to who should i trust with that work here in Bangalore?

For those of you who have more time... a bit more about the bike... Its been 10 years, and done about 50K kms, most of it on the highways. Everything is stock except the silencer which was changed on the day it was bought (to the 500cc short silencer). No Major repairs done on it, still runs on its own supported by the regular services / oil changes that i get done from time to time. Electricals have been a problem since the day 1. Battery gets discharged within a week of charging it. RE (in the early days) and multiple mechanics have tried to fix it in the past, but a root cause was not found yet.. but it doesn't bother me too much.

I'll really wait for suggestions from BHPians before i get started on any work.. so keep them flowing. If you think you would be flooding the thread, please send me a PM with your thoughts!

for your viewing pleasure.. a few pics of the bike, these are from 2009, when the Bike was 8 years old...
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Queries-dsc07615.jpg  

Royal Enfield Queries-dsc07669.jpg  

Royal Enfield Queries-dsc07756.jpg  

Royal Enfield Queries-dsc07764.jpg  

Royal Enfield Queries-dsc07905.jpg  

Royal Enfield Queries-dsc07995.jpg  

Royal Enfield Queries-dsc08118.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 13th February 2012 at 11:57. Reason: Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this.
Old 13th February 2012, 06:55   #229
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mid Life Crisis for my RE Thunderbird... Help and Advise Needed

With that many Km on your bike, if you haven't changed the front brake pads and rear brake shoes they could be looked at to see if they need replacing.

The same goes for the primary chain that drives the clutch from the engine. It is located inside the left engine cover and should be checked by a mechanic.

If the mechanics didn't check the output voltage from the rectifier to the battery it may be the cause of your battery problem. The alternator could be producing enough power but if there are some defective diodes in the circuit it would limit the voltage output.

If you've already done these things, the cosmetics are the only thing left.
A good paint job might not help its reliability but it would visually give new life to your old war horse.
Old 2nd March 2012, 15:58   #230
BHPian

Off late I have observed that my '02 model Electra is facing a knocking problem. This typical knocking occurs in 2nd gear at speed of around 20kmph. There is no RPM meter so unable to know that but it happens say when I ride over a bump with a pillion weighing around 70kgs (my weight is 60kgs) in 2nd gear. If I rev it up, then it does not knock but if I ride at normal revs then it knocks hard!
I don't think it is because of the petrol as I only use HP Power from a company pump. Could it be the ignition timing? Or its normal & I have never noticed before.
Pl. guide >>
Old 2nd March 2012, 16:55   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Off late I have observed that my '02 model Electra is facing a knocking problem. This typical knocking occurs in *2nd gear at speed of around 20kmph...

..Could it be the **ignition timing? Or its normal & I have never noticed before.
Pl. guide >>
* Does it recur at same rpm in all gears, or only in the specific conditions you mentioned? Maybe a lean mix, get the carb tuned and see if it goes away. Does the engine rev smoothly to the red-line when warm?

** Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Electra comes with a CDI ignition, doesn't it? Ignition timing MAY not be off.

Point to ponder: Is it actually knock, or could it be piston slap?

Cheers
Rahul
Old 2nd March 2012, 18:12   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
* Does it recur at same rpm in all gears, or only in the specific conditions you mentioned? Maybe a lean mix, get the carb tuned and see if it goes away. Does the engine rev smoothly to the red-line when warm?

** Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Electra comes with a CDI ignition, doesn't it? Ignition timing MAY not be off.

Point to ponder: Is it actually knock, or could it be piston slap?

Cheers
Rahul
Hello Rahul:
As I have mentioned, mine does not have a RPM meter so cant tell exact but for the specific condition - Yes. It occurs in that specific condition. Could it be the payload? I think I should check it riding solo.

The carb mixture could be a cause. You know which way to turn the Airpin to make it rich? I could give it a try.

Yes the Electra does have a CDI but is it distributor less ignition? I don't know. If it is the latter then timing is not an issue.

For the piston slap, I am negative. It is 100% knocking.
Old 3rd March 2012, 12:52   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Yes the Electra does have a CDI but is it distributor less ignition? I don't know.
Distributors are employed in multi-cylinder CB-ignition systems, so yes, yours has no distributor. I guess it is a mixture issue. Not sure if your particular carb has an air screw or a fuel screw. Maybe someone else could help with that.

Cheers,
Rahul
Old 3rd March 2012, 14:45   #234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
Distributors are employed in multi-cylinder CB-ignition systems, so yes, yours has no distributor. I guess it is a mixture issue. Not sure if your particular carb has an air screw or a fuel screw. Maybe someone else could help with that.

Cheers,
Rahul
Mine has a Mikuni VM22. I guess there are basically 2 pins to set on a carb. One is the Idle adjustment screw (normally the biggest) & the other is the air-fuel mixture screw or you can say the 'Air-pin'.
I believe turning the air-pin clockwise riches the mixture but I am not sure.
Old 4th March 2012, 14:41   #235
BHPian

Quote:
Mine has a Mikuni VM22.
Ok, the VM22 has an air screw. Try a simple process: Screw IN the air screw all the way (don't use too much force when it seats), and open it about 1 1/2 (one-and-a-half) turns. Start the motorcycle, adjust the idle screw to obtain a slightly high idle (maybe 500-800rpm above normal). Now turn the air screw in/out until you obtain the point of highest idle. Turn the screw in small increments, maybe quarter turn each.

Reset your idle to suitable level, and you're DONE!! Close the air screw again, counting the turns as you go, just to know the final number of turns that you've tuned. Don't forget to again open it by the same number of turns.

Hope this works for you.

Cheers
Rahul
voodoochild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2012, 17:27   #236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Off late I have observed that my '02 model Electra is facing a knocking problem. This typical knocking occurs in 2nd gear at speed of around 20kmph. There is no RPM meter so unable to know that but it happens say when I ride over a bump with a pillion weighing around 70kgs (my weight is 60kgs) in 2nd gear. If I rev it up, then it does not knock but if I ride at normal revs then it knocks hard!
I don't think it is because of the petrol as I only use HP Power from a company pump. Could it be the ignition timing? Or its normal & I have never noticed before.
Pl. guide >>
Hi KkVaidya,

I was looking around for a post on the same issue as I am facing the same on my STD 500 as well.
I have a 02 Electra as well which runs beautifully nearing 90k kms., But it is my 500 that I am having similar issue as you have mentioned.
The piston/cyclinder was replaced and has run 25k kms since. Around the 20000 kms mark, on long trips, the engine used to knock quite a bit and loose power at a certain rpm band. For example, on a level road, riding alone or pillion, I shift from first to second and second to third and so forth and open the throttle after the gear change, engine used to knock and loose power. At the same time, the engine is overheating as well. I tried to figure if it was piston slapping, which it was not, however I am sure it is knocking. The engine was opened recently to replace a worn connecting road bush, which I thought would solve the issue, but it did not.
On a recent ride, climbing a ghat section, the bike lost all power and ended climbing in first or second and when i reached on top, the oil was boiling and smoking through the breather pipe.
The only time the bike runs fine is early morning when the weather is cool. These bikes had overheating issues anyway, but what surprised me was how it just popped up suddenly.
Tuning is perfect since I check the plug now and then and mileage I get is above 30 in city and abive 35 on highways.
Recently changed the engine oil before its time to address the overheating issue, but it did knock slightly again.
Next step is to check the valves since the valve set has run almost 1.5 lak kms.
Any views would be welcome on this issue.

Thanks
Old 13th March 2012, 20:33   #237
BHPian

@ tharian : Check the ignition timing of your bike. Lately I have monkeyed with the TPS of my Standard UCE and found out that when wrongly set, i.e when set well in advance without proper match to the jetting, the engine has a tendency to knock. Advanced ignition timing heats up the engine too. Assuming that you have a CI bull, there is a good write up on ignition timing at Mr.Gurunandan's website.
Regards Adrian
Old 13th March 2012, 23:29   #238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
@ tharian : Check the ignition timing of your bike. Lately I have monkeyed with the TPS of my Standard UCE and found out that when wrongly set, i.e when set well in advance without proper match to the jetting, the engine has a tendency to knock. Advanced ignition timing heats up the engine too. Assuming that you have a CI bull, there is a good write up on ignition timing at Mr.Gurunandan's website.
Regards Adrian
Thanks Adrian for the suggestion.
Ignition timing was actually checked recently and was found fine. I will get it checked once again this weekend and try different settings.
Yes, it is a 96 CI.
Also was wondering if wrong ignition timing will cause the engine to miss or have starting trouble since I face neither of that.
Now I feel the issue began rather suddenly probably after a service in which the ignition was adjusted .
Old 14th March 2012, 12:21   #239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
there is a good write up on ignition timing at Mr.Gurunandan's website.
What does TPS stand for?
Also can you please provide a link for Mr. Gurunandan's site?
Old 14th March 2012, 12:39   #240
J.Ravi

Today, I was getting acquainted with the controls of my son's new RE Classic 500. With great difficulty, I was able to open and close battery cover and fuse/ECU box. However, I could half-open the utility box after applying pressure. I was afraid of exerting brutal pressure and ending up with broken lid within 3 days of purchase! Is it designed to open only half-way through or I am yet to learn the art of opening the utility box? Apart from this, everything is fine with the new bike.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 14th March 2012 at 12:47.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks