Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2017, 23:33   #256
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Pulsar 220 DTS-Fi thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSharan View Post
Now MRF Zappers are factory fitted on the bike. They are decent enough. The sizes are 90/90 x17" (front) and 120/80 x17" (rear). You can easily go up to 100/90 x17" (front) and 130/80 x17" (read).
I had a NSR150 which had the same tyre sizes. For the rear, instead of a 120/80-17, I went for a 110/70-17, which is front tyre of a few bikes.

You can do the same with the front tyre off a duke 390 ( Metzeler or Michelin Pilot street). Yes there is a difference in profile and width is lesser but the far far better rubber compounds more than makes up the difference.

My NSR in front with the 110/70 rear, behind is a NSR with stock 120/80 tyre.

The Pulsar 220 DTS-Fi thread-1243777392159.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
There are a couple of options for the front, you could choose the R15 V1/V2 front tyre i.e. Zapper FY/FY01 both "fit" and grip very well, however, you run the issue of having a smaller sidewall and thus easily can bend a rim if you take a pot hole at higher speeds.
Don't discount the R15 V1 front tyre - I have it on my RX and I constantly did three digit speeds on roads (rather no roads - hunsur gonikoppa road before it was fixed) where everyone were pottering about doing 15KMPH. I have done trackdays on the same tyre too and till date I don't have a puncture or bent rims.
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2017, 13:13   #257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Don't discount the R15 V1 front tyre - I have it on my RX and I constantly did three digit speeds on roads (rather no roads - hunsur gonikoppa road before it was fixed) where everyone were pottering about doing 15KMPH. I have done trackdays on the same tyre too and till date I don't have a puncture or bent rims.
Definitely not saying its a sub-standard tyre, like I said the tyre grip very well.

You need to take into consideration the weight and weight distribution difference between the 220 and RX. The smaller sidewall height makes it prone to bent alloys because of the more forward-biased weight distribution on the 220. A bunch of 220 riders that I know switched to either of the R15 V1 or V2 tyres, ended up with bent alloys.

Of course, can't wholly blame the tyre, riding style does make a difference. During my initial years after moving to BLR, I've bent my front alloy about 4 times and the rear twice (riding on a bent rear rim since 2009). Changed my riding style to not brake over potholes, so the suspension is not fully compressed when you hit a pothole. Haven't had a bent alloy since 2010 now.

But with a taller rear tyre i.e. 120/90 or 130/80 I have never had to worry about the rear alloy bending ever since.

Also, I see that you have recommended at 110/70 as a rear tyre. The NSR (yours looks like a beauty!!!) might have had a wider rim and hence the tyre profile may have worked well. On the 220 that will reduce the sidewall height to risky proportions and will make the bike quite short geared. That will need to be compensated using a smaller rear (or bigger front) sprocket.
praful is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2017, 22:04   #258
BHPian

So finally, the veteran is no longer with me. My 2007 Pulsar 220 is sold, a good 10 years of ownership that went a whole lot longer than I had anticipated. Back in 2007, I didn't know how long I would have this bike, how long it would be in production. Everyone said I took a huge gamble buying a 220, but 10 years on, this bike soldiers on with few changes, being a big market success.

And with that, both my silver machines that adorned my avatar now gone, leaving a 223cc and 220cc void and fond memories, it's also time I refreshed my avatar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Please suggest a good tire for Pulsar 220. Both front and rear. Thanks.
MRF Zappers are better now, but back when I was looking, MRF had supply issues, so I used an MRF Meteor which was also good, didn't feel it lacked grip dry or wet.
Still, I trust the Michelins and Pirellis are better grip-wise.

Last edited by Ricci : 6th October 2017 at 22:10.
Ricci is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2017, 22:32   #259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
So finally, the veteran is no longer with me. My 2007 Pulsar 220 is sold, a good 10 years of ownership that went a whole lot longer than I had anticipated. Back in 2007, I didn't know how long I would have this bike, how long it would be in production. Everyone said I took a huge gamble buying a 220, but 10 years on, this bike soldiers on with few changes, being a big market success.

And with that, both my silver machines that adorned my avatar now gone, leaving a 223cc and 220cc void and fond memories, it's also time I refreshed my avatar.
Seeing the bike go would be the hardest part for sure! I’ve told my wife and mom that I wouldn’t sell this rare piece of art even though I switch or buy a new one. Your words say that! It changed the face of biking back in 2007 or at least the way I have looked and desired for it changed back then! I learnt a lot through our daily connect on pulsar 220 forum

Dominar has filled in for 220? It’s a brilliant machine in its own league. White looks menacing.
gururajrv is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks