Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2006, 21:18   #151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mp421b
I wonder why they got rid of the Chetak tag
That's because Bajaj desperately wanted to get out of the 'Scooter Maker' image that it earlier and was aspiring towards a more performance oriented youthful 'Bike Maker' image.
Old 29th July 2006, 23:43   #152
Senior - BHPian

2 things to notice about the P220 Fi.
  1. No blacked out wheels or engine........what ever happened to their "Fear the Black" mantra
  2. No SNS rear suspension.......If it was indeed the best thing since sliced bread....like Bajaj made it seem........then how come their flagship bike dosent get it.
Old 29th July 2006, 23:47   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
  1. No blacked out wheels or engine........what ever happened to their "Fear the Black" mantra
  2. No SNS rear suspension.......If it was indeed the best thing since sliced bread....like Bajaj made it seem........then how come their flagship bike dosent get it.
If Bajaj puts all that now what will happen durring MNC?? I mean after some time they will refreshen the bike they will put black wheels i am so sure
Old 30th July 2006, 09:50   #154
Senior - BHPian

Well said BUSA, they do have to keep some things for the new model year.....
Old 31st July 2006, 11:07   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
  1. No SNS rear suspension.......If it was indeed the best thing since sliced bread....like Bajaj made it seem........then how come their flagship bike dosent get it.
SNS suspension are for teh lower segment bikes ala CT100 & Discover, teh SNS were cheaper alternative to the Gas shocks. So the DTS-FI wouldnt get them for sure
Old 31st July 2006, 15:15   #156
BHPian

Any idea whether Yamaha will try to enter the market. With what Bajaj currently has on its hand its difficult any one will beat them i am only worried about the quality which of the Pulsars isint as good as the Karizmas.
Old 31st July 2006, 15:58   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mp421b
Any idea whether Yamaha will try to enter the market. With what Bajaj currently has on its hand its difficult any one will beat them i am only worried about the quality which of the Pulsars isint as good as the Karizmas.
I guess the concern should not be on quality but on the design ( Ex: gear box assembly) as i think bajaj is up there iterms of quality and loses out to the hondas and the yamahas etc interms of expertise in designing and experience. A badly designed piece of metal will give problems irrespective of the quality.

But this bike is sure to cause ripples and a revolutionise things.

Gud work Bajaj.
Old 2nd August 2006, 18:19   #158
BHPian

Hey guys, just been reading abt the Pulsar DTS Fi. The FI system is gonna consider throttle position, intake air temparature, crakshaft angle and a lot more things while makin it's calculations and pushing in the mixture.

Also, the bike is gonna boast lights for engine malfunction, low battery, oil level, engine redline, etc.

The tyres have been specially made by MRF INDIA for the Pulsar DTS Fi.

It also has a 265 mm front disc and a 230 mm rear disc(still thinking abt the need of it).

You think all this will come for below 90k, or will it cross the 6 figure price!?
Old 2nd August 2006, 20:34   #159
Senior - BHPian

The existing Pulsars have a Throttle position sensor for the CDI mapping. As for the brakes, perhaps they should have taken a bigger rotor for the front. I doubt if 265 would be sufficient.The 273mm one on the ZMA is barely adequate.

The biggest blunder is the omission of a kick lever. I'm anxious to see the engine's nature in winter. From my past experience with 2 Pulsars, the starters on the classic 180's AND the dtsi's were far from satisfactory....
Old 3rd August 2006, 03:45   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat
SNS suspension are for teh lower segment bikes ala CT100 & Discover, teh SNS were cheaper alternative to the Gas shocks. So the DTS-FI wouldnt get them for sure
But the SNS is a spring and Gas is for the shock. Do separate components with separate functions. Why not combine both ?
Old 3rd August 2006, 11:24   #161
Senior - BHPian

From what I know SNS is cheap & relatively less effective than the Gas shocks, Also gas shocks are kind of self adjusting in nature(not too sure about this but I had read it somewhere) which makes it better for a) Heavier vehicles b) tough terrain. In short it improves handling too which aids in better handling for the pulsars. Its something like have Power Brakes in lower segment cars for better braking & having power brakes with ABS in higher segment cars

As for you second query the Gas shocks require a gas chamber or cylinder So if you have to put a coil\spring around it then it would be really big & would look out of place, I mean thats what I can think of right now :-)
Old 3rd August 2006, 12:26   #162
Senior - BHPian

Mods- Shouldn't the title of this thread be changed to Pulsar 220 DTS-Fi- now tha twe know the displacement of this bike!
Old 3rd August 2006, 13:49   #163
BHPian

A very nice bike. I'm thinking of buying one. Me- the chronic Bullet rider. I wonder how big sizewise it is though?? At 98kgs and pretty broad, I tend to dwarf my Enfield and look quite comical, esp. in winters with a thick jacket on.. The 20bhp should be fun and I eagerly look forward to the twin discs. Gotta give my Action shoes a break..

The Dilemma- Should i invest in this Pulsar or wait for the 500cc AVL engined Enfield Hurricane (Should be about 25-28 bhp, I guess).

Performance wise as well as everything else, the new Pulsar would be much superior. Even 22 bhp of the Enfield 500 mill isn't comparable to a modern fast revving 20 bhp engine, as far as pick up, in-gear accleration and pulling power is concerned. Am I right???

But then A bullet is, after all, a bullet.

I guess I'll go for the Pulsar if it is even slightly bigger/ more masculine then the HH Karizma.

If I do decide to go in for the Pulsar 220, then going from 350cc to 220cc, would i be downgrading?
Old 3rd August 2006, 15:52   #164
BHPian

Puffdamgcdragon i respect ur opinion ... but dude how can you even compare the two
A Bullet is a Bullet period.
U cant compare a Bullet with pulsar 220 or even ZMA...
Bullet has its own League ... n i guess ur lucky to own 1.....
Old 3rd August 2006, 23:20   #165
BHPian

Comparo..DTS-Fi,Karizma and Comet

well.....

I hope Kinetic relaunches the Comet. I would still pick it over Pulsar DTS-FI or karidzma....just because a simple factor..BHP!

Bajaj claims 135 Kmph top speed for Pulsar DTS-FI. But what about comfortable cruising speed? Could it come close to Comet's 120 KMPH comfortable cruising speed?

Lets compare these three bikes for now:

Bajaj Pulsar 220:
Pros: Exellent equipment levels, A/S/S, FI
Cons: one less cylinder, quality??, Not a 250 and power is just abt adequate

Comet 250:
Pros: Twin cylinders look amazing, Power, size
Cons: Isnt available new, Quality??, A/S/S

HH Karizma:
Pros: stress free engine, Quality, A/S/S
Cons: Underpowered, Not a true 250, Looks half baked

Comments and additions anyone???

Siddharth