Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2011, 14:32   #331
Team-BHP Support

Re: Chevrolet Beat TCDI Diesel : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeldo View Post
Let me chip in. Just now received info on Beat Diesel prices. The version I am interested, ie, the LT O goes at Rs. 546597 viz the Ritz VDi ABS at Rs. 543708 and Figo Titanium at Rs. 558019. The petrol Beat LT Option is Rs 474351, making the Diesel premium at 72246. Except for the rear wiper and climate control, there is little that the Beat offers more than the Ritz. Still weird, look at the regular LT Diesel: Rs 500546 vs Ritz VDi at 525741 and Figo ZXi at 519577. Sorry to say this and don't slice me to pieces, but I do not feel like paying 5 big ones plus another 50G OTR for that diminutive car.
Ritz/Figo are roomier, pack in more cubes and have proper 4 cylinder engines.

GM, review your prices.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2011, 15:19   #332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff1609 View Post
And I as a possible buyer did not like the build quality and that is where it ends. This is my tuppence! I am sure anyone who wants to consider the car will go and check it out for himself instead of making a decision solely on the basis of what t-bhp members say.
Some opinions are opinions, like say - I love the creases and curves of the Beat, but there are a large number who don't. Including GTO, by the way. These are subjective opinions, where there is room for debate.

Then there are opinions like - the build quality of the Beat is poor. Now that is something that no-one else (non-owners who have just driven the Beat and Don't like it, to actual owners of the car) will agree with. This is not a subjective opinion, because there is evidence to prove that the Beat is well built. Weight, lack of rattles, quality of materials, tight shut lines and panel gaps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff1609 View Post
The idea behind having an online forum is to let various people share perspectives, if t-bhp wanted only one person's views they'd have used a read-only format.
Now you are entitled to stick to your opinion, but since this is a Public Forum and is Not Read Only, there will be counter-views. So I suggest you re-read your posts and understand that being overly aggressive will not really convince others to agree with you.

Getting back to the topic: Beat is over-priced for what it offers. It does not offer anything significantly better than the competition to really draw people away, apart from the subjective looks and build quality. To be completely honest, my attempts at highlighting the positives of ACC weren't really accepted in my own educated, middle-class family. ASC and space really matter, along with perceived VFM (4Cyl, big boot, apparent size, brand).

The Chevy 3 year warranty will be a draw, but as a Chevy owner, I know that their ASC leaves a Lot to be desired. So getting things changed under warranty is all very well only if they're able to diagnose the issue to begin with.

IMH and Totally Personal opinion, I'd rather plonk in for a Ritz diesel for the space and extra power without losing much in the FE department. Maruti ASC is not better, but the multitude of options does help in finding one that is not too far and not too bad, most of the time.
VeluM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2011, 19:28   #333
Distinguished - BHPian

Whatever else, I've personally seen 2 customers lost by GM due to the pricing. 2 of my friends were waiting very eagerly on the BEAT D. And they were dumbstruck to see the pricing. One will be booking the Figo tomorrow (I've informed him about the feature cuts on the ZXi already.) and other is now back to comparing the usual suspects - Figo, Ritz, Vista. They've definitely ruled out the BEAT D, citing pricing.

I think that will be the overall market reaction more or less.
Old 29th July 2011, 21:18   #334
Senior - BHPian

I got to test drive the Beat D today. Like most have mentioned, the vibrations are very well controlled. There is no vibration felt at all even on the gear lever.

Turbo lag has also been well managed, and there is no turbo surge as well. There is the three cylinder thrum that can be heard on accelerating.

That said the car seems well built and i quite liked the interiors (LT(O)). It was a very short drive, so could not check out the handling, though the ride seemed quite good.

This is a good city car and should do reasonably well for GM.
Old 30th July 2011, 16:39   #335
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Figo/Swift/Ritz/Vista are bigger cars than Beat. So if a buyer opts for space, beat is out of the list. ( I am 6.2" and my left ankle hits the centre console)

As per the review and feedback, i feel this car (diesel beat) will find good amount of buyers especially who wants an economical car to drive in the city. Long back Santro was chosen for its peppy engine in the city. So beat comes under the same category with its diesel now.
If there is a combination of highway and city driving, then Beat may not be right choice.

The advantage of beat is, it has already launched the petrol version and most of the buyers know about it and now it is just a test drive of its diesel motor.
RGK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2011, 21:56   #336
Senior - BHPian

Between Figo and Beat, frankly if someone was looking for just the lowest variant and possibly the cheapest reliable Diesel car then one would choose Beat.

But on the higher end of the variants Figo still strikes the right cord. I am getting more interested to know how the sales figures would look like for this month.
Given that Beat Diesel and Liva would be in full flow.
Old 30th July 2011, 23:14   #337
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
To be completely honest, my attempts at highlighting the positives of ACC weren't really accepted in my own educated, middle-class family.
Many a times unless people really "feel" the positives, they will not see any value in certain features. I for one, absolutely want ACC & Cruise control in my next car. How many people in this "live & love car" forum think that cruise control is useful? Its all about one's requirements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
2 of my friends were waiting very eagerly on the BEAT D. And they were dumbstruck to see the pricing. They've definitely ruled out the BEAT D, citing pricing.
I would say there was something seriously wrong with their expectations then ! The prices are pretty much inline with GMs declarations [10-15% premium over petrol], just an additional 15K for the LT(O) version. If that 15K is a deal breaker for your friends, then they should have never waited for this car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
Figo/Swift/Ritz/Vista are bigger cars than Beat. So if a buyer opts for space, beat is out of the list. ( I am 6.2" and my left ankle hits the centre console)
Sorry to differ here ! If space is the biggest criterion for any, only Vista scores here. I cannot really classfiy the Swift / Ritz as better spacious compared to Beat, Figo not by a mile again !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeldo View Post
The version I am interested, ie, the LT O goes at Rs. 546597 viz the Ritz VDi ABS at Rs. 543708 and Figo Titanium at Rs. 558019. Except for the rear wiper and climate control, there is little that the Beat offers more than the Ritz.
What you mentioned is the MOST visible changes / features for these two cars !! Question for you - Where is the Airbags mentioned here ? And How about Alloy wheels ?? How much price difference will these two features bring in additional ?? And where does the price difference stand now compared variants to variants, including just these 2 features?

Honestly I am quite disappointed with your post and comparison. Unless we really sit down and write each of the features available in Beat D & in Ritz, we will not have a proper picture. My strong guess is that all the features which are available on the LT(O) model over Ritz VDi ABS could be in the range of 20-30K ! And where Ritz scores over will be for a 4 pot engine and loses again on mileage.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 30th July 2011 at 23:30.
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2011, 23:57   #338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Question for you - Where is the Airbags mentioned here ? And How about Alloy wheels ?? How much price difference will these two features bring in additional ?? And where does the price difference stand now compared variants to variants, including just these 2 features?

Honestly I am quite disappointed with your post and comparison. Unless we really sit down and write each of the features available in Beat D & in Ritz, we will not have a proper picture. My strong guess is that all the features which are available on the LT(O) model over Ritz VDi ABS could be in the range of 20-30K ! And where Ritz scores over will be for a 4 pot engine and loses again on mileage.
Excellent points, in all the comparisons that are happening, looks like everyone is forgetting the features in this car over the Ritz VDI. However, when compared feature to feature- the Figo Titanium vs the Beat LT (O) , the Figo is a more well rounded car, but even with that, my family preferred the Beat for its higher stance and seating position, styling and overall feature set. It ticks most of our boxes and should be a good performer.

I am taking delivery of my Beat LT (O) next week and should be in a position to post about my experiences with the car as time progresses
Old 31st July 2011, 00:12   #339
BHPian

Price listing for Pune and PCMC area in Maharashtra :

Chevrolet Beat TCDI Diesel : Test Drive & Review-chevrolet-beat-diesel-001.jpg
keyur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2011, 07:59   #340
BHPian

Went for a TD of Beat D yesterday as its one of the options for my next car,
Like everyone mentioned turbo lag is minimal and ride also felt good while going through small dips

Noise level is well controlled inside but you can hear the 3 cylinder sound while accelerating

Overall its better than i expected

SE claimed 31kpl has been achieved on the TD car w/o AC

On road prices at TVM (not exact price as i couldn't find the price list they gave me,might have misplaced it in my friend's car)

Beat PS - 4,75,xxx

Beat LS - 5,09,xxx

Beat LT - 5,52,xxx

Beat LT(O) - 6,01,xxx

Metallic colour means additional 5,410 rs plus tax (roughly around 6k)

Apart from cars in stock fresh order would take 1.5 months,SE also said prices are expected to increase around October (may be he said so to get my booking as i'm expecting to buy a car in October as finance will be ready)

Last edited by crazybiker46 : 31st July 2011 at 08:02.
Old 31st July 2011, 11:42   #341
BHPian

Here is Siddarth comparing Beat TCDi vs Figo TDCi in NDTV Car & Bike Show:
Diesel duel: Hatchback wars heat up
Old 31st July 2011, 19:27   #342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbin View Post
Here is Siddarth comparing Beat TCDi vs Figo TDCi in NDTV Car & Bike Show:
Diesel duel: Hatchback wars heat up
A fairly fair comparison, but do i sense a slight positive bias towards the Chevy? Hardly any time spent on engine, performance, fuel efficiency etc..

Also, shocking how there is an over 50k difference on OTR prices for this car b/w TVN and BLR!
Old 31st July 2011, 20:40   #343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fangface View Post
A fairly fair comparison, but do i sense a slight positive bias towards the Chevy? Hardly any time spent on engine, performance, fuel efficiency etc..

Also, shocking how there is an over 50k difference on OTR prices for this car b/w TVN and BLR!
Checked the Chevrolet site, in Chennai Beat is 2K costlier than Bangalore for the basic version. Looks like Chevy cars are costlier in Chennai than Bangalore compared to other manufacturers, any specific reason ?
Old 31st July 2011, 22:01   #344
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Sorry to differ here ! If space is the biggest criterion for any, only Vista scores here. I cannot really classfiy the Swift / Ritz as better spacious compared to Beat, Figo not by a mile again !.
Yes Vista is the biggest. My observation is if a buyer opts for space then he/she will not consider Beat at all.
Front seats of Swift/Ritz are really good for tall persons like me and Figo is also better. At the same time, as you have mentioned the metrics may not give a big difference.
Old 31st July 2011, 22:02   #345
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fangface View Post
Reason : Kerala RT = 6% , Karnataka RT = 13% or so!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post
Checked the Chevrolet site, in Chennai Beat is 2K costlier than Bangalore for the basic version. Looks like Chevy cars are costlier in Chennai than Bangalore compared to other manufacturers, any specific reason ?
The ex showroom price should have that difference for every car and not only Chevy! Some states have much bigger difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
My observation is if a buyer opts for space then he/she will not consider Beat at all.
Frankly I asked this question on space comparo a couple of times on this forum and people who have TD'ed these cars [including GTO] came back and answered that space in Beat is in the same league as Ritz / Swift. The car "looks" cramped because of dark interiors and also the rear door design.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 31st July 2011 at 22:05.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks