Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2012, 17:29   #451
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat TCDI Diesel : Test Drive & Review

Also just checked with the Chevrolet folks. All the Chevrolet cars come with Tubeless tyres, be it on the Alloy Rims or the steel rims. Makes me feel more comfortable in just changing the tyres now, without worrying about spending pennies on the Alloys Rims.

And just to update, I booked the car today (the LT version) and should get it in less than a week. Just waiting for my office folks to help me with the cheque.
Old 3rd February 2012, 13:57   #452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushantV
Also just checked with the Chevrolet folks. All the Chevrolet cars come with Tubeless tyres, be it on the Alloy Rims or the steel rims. Makes me feel more comfortable in just changing the tyres now, without worrying about spending pennies on the Alloys Rims.

And just to update, I booked the car today (the LT version) and should get it in less than a week. Just waiting for my office folks to help me with the cheque.
Congrats!! so are u going to get 175s michelin's?
Old 3rd February 2012, 18:49   #453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
Congrats!! so are u going to get 175s michelin's?
Mostly yes. But I might skimp, depending upon the cash balance :P
Old 7th February 2012, 10:38   #454
Senior - BHPian

What is the best RPM to upshift/downshift in Beat Diesel? In bikes, usually for upshift I use 4500RPM, and for downshift, 3500RPM. For Beat Diesel, I am currently shifting up at about 2000RM, and downshifting at about 1000-900RPM. Is it good, or are there any better numbers?
Old 9th February 2012, 22:07   #455
Senior - BHPian

Today I found 'cruise mode'! I am sure this mode will be well known to experienced drivers, but for a newbie like me, it was a surprising discovery.

If you leave the accelerator pedal in gear, the car will keep on rolling at 900rpm at following speed:

1st gear: 2-3 kmph
2nd gear: 12 kmph
3rd gear: 20 kmph

This is with absolutely no input from the accelerator. I was in Amanora town today to see how it is from inside, and the 2nd gear 12 kmph cruising came in very handy.

I hope it is not causing any problem to engine! Any inputs on using the car like this? I think it will be a great traffic cutter because of this. Do other cars behave similarly, or is this a diesel only specialty?
Old 9th February 2012, 22:13   #456
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher
Do other cars behave similarly, or is this a diesel only specialty?
This is common to all diesel engines today. Its been highlighted in the Ford Figo review also I think.

As long as your not lugging the engine,I think it should be ok. But its always better to use the accelerator.
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2012, 23:34   #457
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
If you leave the accelerator pedal in gear, the car will keep on rolling at 900rpm at following speed:

This is with absolutely no input from the accelerator.
is this a diesel only specialty?
Yes, it's pleasing in-deed. My Tucson maintains steady 15kmph without any accelerator input in 2nd gear and I love it - in the traffic.

If you do not hear unusual clatter or knocking, it should be fine.
I think this is ECU smartness - coupled with naturally high torque of the diesels...

BTW, what's the idle RPM of the Beat diesel? I read somewhere it's 650??? If so, that's really low (good thing if engine can idle so slow without too much vibrations/clatter). Tucson (and IIRC, in fact all the cars I have driven so far) idle at 800RPM...

Cheers!
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2012, 23:44   #458
Senior - BHPian

There is no clutter or any abnormal sound from the engine in gear without accelerator. Only thing is if we press brake for speed breakers, then the engine shudders before resuming its normal cruising speed. I too think its the ECU acting smartly.

Idling rpm is not exactly known, but I think it idles at 800-900rpm.

To answer my above query of ideal rpm to change gear, the highest torque is generated as 150Nm @ 1750 rpm, so about 2k rpm gear change should be good, although ideal is around 1800. (Applying bike's logic here).
Old 10th February 2012, 00:02   #459
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What is the best RPM to upshift/downshift in Beat Diesel? In bikes, usually for upshift I use 4500RPM, and for downshift, 3500RPM. For Beat Diesel, I am currently shifting up at about 2000RM, and downshifting at about 1000-900RPM. Is it good, or are there any better numbers?
Depends on you when do you want to upshift or downshift. From an FE perspective upshift btween 2000-2500 rpms. I some times upshift at 1500 rpms as well in traffic conditions.

Quote:
Today I found 'cruise mode'! I am sure this mode will be well known to experienced drivers, but for a newbie like me, it was a surprising discovery.

Quote:
There is no clutter or any abnormal sound from the engine in gear without accelerator. Only thing is if we press brake for speed breakers, then the engine shudders before resuming its normal cruising speed. I too think its the ECU acting smartly.
That's because of the idle rpm [900] & ECU tuning. No problems with your car. At the same time, make sure that you press clutch while braking well, if the speed comes down to an extent where rpm falls below 900, the car will accelerate, giving you a surprise and heart attack!
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2012, 17:45   #460
BHPian

Quote:
for me the ideal upshift is at 2000RPM and for downshift make sure you don't fall behind the turbo range

Quote:

This is with absolutely no input from the accelerator. I was in Amanora town today to see how it is from inside, and the 2nd gear 12 kmph cruising came in very handy.

I hope it is not causing any problem to engine! Any inputs on using the car like this? I think it will be a great traffic cutter because of this. Do other cars behave similarly, or is this a diesel only specialty?
I guess this is what Chevrolet promotes as Intellidrive technology for Beat D

As long as there is no knocking or clutter this should be fine , i had tested it once to find out how long this would work , in 3rd gear to some extent and car came to a halt with a huge knocking sound

I always find it handy in slow moving traffic and also in small inclines

initially this surprised me , i remove my foot of accelerator in 3rd gear with intention of slowing down but car moved forward like someone has pushed it from back
Old 10th February 2012, 20:17   #461
BHPian

Ok I was out for a while and lot many things happened in the small stint of two weeks.

As per the last update, I booked BEAT LT sometime in the start of last week, before I went back into oblivion.

Just after a couple of days, I had to cancel the booking since my mother didn't feel so eager to try beat. For her it wasn't a step up, when compared to Alto that I have.

Next I had an altercation with my manager on "not so decent" appraisal. Out of the fury, I cancelled the idea of opting for the company's car policy; which puts into a tight spot since I'll be paying everything for the new car from my own pocket. Partial payment is what I am thinking. I'll try to cover up for 50% of the cost by myself and the rest I would get financed.

All this while, I was looking out for options for me under 6L, hatchbacks that take on diesel and offer me best safety features. I went from Ritz, Swift, Figo, Etios, Micra and what not. And till this very moment, I am not convinced. The swift looks like the best bet but the waiting period of 6 months kills the deal. Ritz looks like bumped up i10, micra doesn't cut it on the looks, Figo somehow isn't ringing bells. Etios looks so 'built to cost', micra is to rounded at every corner and finally I am all back to beat :(

To top it up, there are confusions regarding upcoming change in excise duty on diesel engines. I am all nuts at the moment. My mother is just not being able to digest the idea of getting a rather 'small' car for 6.5L

I absolutely need the ABS for safety and am trying to cut corners on other stuff.
ANyone wanna suggest me something considering all that turmoil going inside my head ??
Old 10th February 2012, 22:52   #462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushantV View Post
Ok I was out for a while and lot many things happened in the small stint of two weeks.

As per the last update, I booked BEAT LT sometime in the start of last week, before I went back into oblivion.

Just after a couple of days, I had to cancel the booking since my mother didn't feel so eager to try beat. For her it wasn't a step up, when compared to Alto that I have.

Next I had an altercation with my manager on "not so decent" appraisal. Out of the fury, I cancelled the idea of opting for the company's car policy; which puts into a tight spot since I'll be paying everything for the new car from my own pocket. Partial payment is what I am thinking. I'll try to cover up for 50% of the cost by myself and the rest I would get financed.

All this while, I was looking out for options for me under 6L, hatchbacks that take on diesel and offer me best safety features. I went from Ritz, Swift, Figo, Etios, Micra and what not. And till this very moment, I am not convinced. The swift looks like the best bet but the waiting period of 6 months kills the deal. Ritz looks like bumped up i10, micra doesn't cut it on the looks, Figo somehow isn't ringing bells. Etios looks so 'built to cost', micra is to rounded at every corner and finally I am all back to beat :(

To top it up, there are confusions regarding upcoming change in excise duty on diesel engines. I am all nuts at the moment. My mother is just not being able to digest the idea of getting a rather 'small' car for 6.5L

I absolutely need the ABS for safety and am trying to cut corners on other stuff.
ANyone wanna suggest me something considering all that turmoil going inside my head ??
Everyone faces the situation you are in currently buddy.

Okay to be honest your mother is right, 6Lakh for a BEAT is too much money considering the amount of space it has.

VISTA and FIGO are VFM and good space, Ritz VDI ABS is a little expensive, you can buy the ritz if you wish to keep the car for more than 5 yrs and need a good resale value post 5 years.

Forget about the ETIOS, MICRA and the SWIFT they are adding to your confusion at the moment.

Just one idea out of the box for you, look for a Fiesta Classic diesel, which has not clocked more than 13000km for 5lakh or 5.25 lakhs pre owned, even you can drive it sometimes and your mother will feel this is perfect step up from the alto. It is a pure drivers car, fun to drive and elegant looking too.

Cheers
Old 13th February 2012, 12:14   #463
Senior - BHPian

Went on a longish drive on sunday about 100 kms round trip.. Noticed a few things about the diesel engine.

First, the top gear doesn't make any torque near 1k, so you are effectively puttering around once you are around 1k rpm.

3rd and 4th are very driveable, with good torque builtup. At about 1800rpm, the car feels superb running as it should, predictively. Climbing ghaats in third gear was very easily possible.

AC does show its pressure in gears, specifically first and second. A wee bit of power loss is clearly felt.

Reversing and parking the car is very easy even for a newbie like me.

Lastly, I need to fit a radio antenna for the radio, which currently has pathetic reception. I heard the Indica has internal antenna, and external antennas are prone to getting flicked off. Also, the OEM antenna is very tall as per reviews. Any good internal antenna?
Old 13th February 2012, 15:45   #464

Folks,

I've read enough comments about 175/65/14 being a good upgrade for the Beat.

I booked a Beat Diesel last weekend and am expecting the delivery by the month-end.

Does anyone know if 15-inch alloys are feasible on this car? The tyre-bible would recommend 185/55 with 15-inch alloys, but then I'd rather have comments from:

1. An expert on whether the 185/55 would touch the sides while turning or with 4 passengers loaded

2. Anyone who's seen or knows of someone with 15" tyres on a Beat

All comments / suggestions welcome.
Old 13th February 2012, 21:36   #465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitsubishiEvo View Post
Folks,

I've read enough comments about 175/65/14 being a good upgrade for the Beat.

I booked a Beat Diesel last weekend and am expecting the delivery by the month-end.

Does anyone know if 15-inch alloys are feasible on this car? The tyre-bible would recommend 185/55 with 15-inch alloys, but then I'd rather have comments from:

1. An expert on whether the 185/55 would touch the sides while turning or with 4 passengers loaded

2. Anyone who's seen or knows of someone with 15" tyres on a Beat

All comments / suggestions welcome.
I am no expert but,

15-inch may just be an inch too big for the beat especially with a load of 4 people, plus the million bumps/potholes. The best option would be to have 185's shod on 14-inch alloys. You will have to buy new ones since the stock alloys can support only to a maximum of 175's.

Most Viewed