Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2012, 10:40   #541

Re: Chevrolet Beat TCDI Diesel : Test Drive & Review

Completed 12000 kms in 9 months. Have PS model. Penning my experience

1. Mileage is 18 kmpl in city & 22 kmpl in highway, all with a/c on.
2. Done many highway driving. Touched 140 km/hr once in a while. Can cruise at 120 km/hr whole day.
3. Front fender is very delicate as made of plastic/fiber. Wont withstand even a slight impact. But can be repaired easily.
4. Steel rims already got many bents. Looks like not as strong as other steel rims.
5.Steering is light. Needs some attention at high speeds. though nothing scary.
6. Suspension is very good. Nice ride quality as well as decent handling.
7. Brakes are fantastic. Way better than swift siblings.
8. Excellent head lamps. Very good for highway driving.
9. Driving position very good for people with above average height. But bad otherwise. Front seats are good and comfortable for long trips.
10. Too many blind spots on all sides. Will miss nearby objects like rock, divider etc. Always take a walk around the car before getting in.
11. A/C is average. Not a chiller but will do the job.
12. NVH levels are strictly average. Music system a must buy.
13. Back seats are a big no in every case. Not at all airy, spacey, or even light ambient.
14. It was the cheapest diesel car with a modern engine at the time of purchase. On Road 4.75L. Feels like a decent bargain.

Last edited by Mpower : 5th November 2012 at 18:59.
jojipg is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th October 2012, 13:04   #542
BHPian

Beat diesel would not start

Our 1 year old beat diesel wouldnt not start just one fine day. Its has run around 18k kms and had the oil change done in the 15k service. Since its in my native I couldnt get more details other than, it would crank but would not start. Anyone faced this issue with a beat diesel. Called the service people but they are yet to have a look at the car. Probably they will come today, and wanted to know what to expect on the possible causes.

Please advice.
Old 29th October 2012, 13:20   #543
Senior - BHPian

Re: Beat diesel would not start

Maybe rats have chewed through some wires. Flat battery though if it cranks not likely. No fuel though I would assume that is checked.
Old 29th October 2012, 13:34   #544
BHPian

Check Fuel , manually pump from filter.

Did You get it refueled recently ???
Old 29th October 2012, 13:58   #545
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkris View Post
Our 1 year old beat diesel wouldnt not start just one fine day. Its has run around 18k kms and had the oil change done in the 15k service. Since its in my native I couldnt get more details other than, it would crank but would not start. Anyone faced this issue with a beat diesel. Called the service people but they are yet to have a look at the car. Probably they will come today, and wanted to know what to expect on the possible causes.

Please advice.
Looks like some electrical problem.

Check battery. Are the lights working ?
Old 29th October 2012, 18:15   #546
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Looks like some electrical problem.

Check battery. Are the lights working ?
Battery seems to be in good condition and it seems to be cranking as well. They had checked the battery charge and it seems to be fine. Since I am away from the car would not be able to check the electricals. Will wait for the service guys explanation once he has a look at the car.
Old 30th October 2012, 13:17   #547
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkris View Post
Battery seems to be in good condition and it seems to be cranking as well. They had checked the battery charge and it seems to be fine. Since I am away from the car would not be able to check the electricals. Will wait for the service guys explanation once he has a look at the car.
Looks like the battery was the culprit. One of the cells is totally dead. So had sent it for warranty as it is just 1 year old.
Old 5th November 2012, 14:01   #548
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi all,a few questions,one of my relatives is planning to change his CNG Santro and is considering Beat Diesel.I want to know about the refreshed Beat as in when it is expected? Moreover, which is a better one,Beat diesel or Figo diesel?
Old 5th November 2012, 21:52   #549
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector
...Moreover, which is a better one,Beat diesel or Figo diesel?
Buy Beat for mileage, compact size & in city runs. Figo otherwise.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 5th November 2012 at 21:58.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2012, 16:13   #550

Any Chevy Beat Kerala Drivers who got any freebies with their cars ?? Cos I my In-law is picking up a car now and they are telling him that there is no freebies given across Kerala ?? Anyone got any suggestions ??
Old 16th December 2012, 17:32   #551
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cancerianlove View Post
Any Chevy Beat Kerala Drivers who got any freebies with their cars ?? Cos I my In-law is picking up a car now and they are telling him that there is no freebies given across Kerala ?? Anyone got any suggestions ??
I see some ads with discounts on Beat (in Bangalore)! Not sure its for petrol or diesel. Does the dealer have stocks? If so get the VIN of couple of cars to check the date of manufacture. If those are atleast from Oct, ask for discounts as its not moving quick off the showroom.

You could also call up couple of more dealers & ask for discounts. If nothing works out, delay the purchase by couple of weeks & the deales will offer something by last week of December I feel.
Old 8th January 2013, 00:26   #552
BHPian

Guys I'll be giving my Beat for 20,000Km service.
Is there anything in particular that I need to mention / get checked?

Quick update from my end:
Mileage in B'lore peak hour traffic is around 13-14 Kmpl, highway is around 20-22 Kmpl.
Top speed clocked 140Kmph, can happily cruise at 100 - 120kmph.

Positives
- Driveability
- Mileage (especially coming from a 1.3L swift petrol)
- Headlights - truck drivers these days are dipping their lights for my high beam, getting some respect on highway from the truck drivers means a lot.
- Build quality

Negatives
- Seats are BAD:
- Lack of under thigh and lumbar support for front seats- resulted in severe lower back ache, planning to modify the seats / replace them
- Lack of under thigh support for back seats - these might be good for city driving but would definitely take a toll on you if you are driving for more than 150 Kms at a stretch, you have to take a break after every 150 Kms.

Neutral
- Luggage - this is something which I knew before I bought the car so nothing to feel bad about it.
- NVH levels - I knew it is on the higher side, this can be rectified by a good ICE.
Old 9th January 2013, 09:14   #553
BHPian

You echoed exactly the positives, negatives and neutral. One difference is that in chennai traffic I get 16.5-17 KMPL mileage. Isn't it GM has changed the service intervals to every 7500 kms?
In that case you can wait till 22500 kms, correct?
In the manual, there is the maintenance sheet almost at the middle of the book. They have put the details on what will be done during the specific kms interval.
I am going to cross 20K KMS and I already checked with the service center. I was told that there will be just a periodic maintenance and if required alignment and balancing. I told them I would like to do alignment and balancing with outside vendor and doing it for every 5K kms(balancing at 10K). They were fine with that and I could see that the periodic maintenance will cost Rs.800 without tax.
Old 9th January 2013, 15:03   #554

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balaji31582 View Post
You echoed exactly the positives, negatives and neutral. One difference is that in chennai traffic I get 16.5-17 KMPL mileage. Isn't it GM has changed the service intervals to every 7500 kms?
In that case you can wait till 22500 kms, correct?
In the manual, there is the maintenance sheet almost at the middle of the book. They have put the details on what will be done during the specific kms interval.
I am going to cross 20K KMS and I already checked with the service center. I was told that there will be just a periodic maintenance and if required alignment and balancing. I told them I would like to do alignment and balancing with outside vendor and doing it for every 5K kms(balancing at 10K). They were fine with that and I could see that the periodic maintenance will cost Rs.800 without tax.
People who have chosen 3 yrs maintenance free program and bought the car on 2011, will have to stick to service interval of every 5000 kms. As they have already paid for / got it in advance. Got it from SA.
Old 21st January 2013, 20:57   #555

My Beat TCDi LT is giving me a problem.
I've clocked 820 kms and it's due for the 1000 km check-up.

Additions:
The car was delivered to me with remote locking installed by the dealer.
I've additionally installed a reverse camera unit which works fine.

Problem:
[1] The service/malfunction indicator constantly glows in yellow (the icon of the car with a spanner). When I attempt to crank the engine, at the time of cranking all the electricals in the entire car shut off completely even before the starter motor gets a chance. So, the engine does not start.

[2] Power returns to the interior electricals after say 5 minutes of staying idle or when one of the doors is opened and shut. (any of the 4 doors or the boot). I'm not sure if this is triggered by the remote locking system.

[3] When the power comes back, the time on the dashboard is restored to factory setting (12:00). There is some very mild fluctuation with the courtesy light and the speedometer needle for the first few seconds, and then things are normal, but back to [1].

==
Since I'm not able to crank the engine, I'm not able to drive the car anywhere. I'll anyway be calling up Chevrolet tomorrow morning.

Has any one faced a similar problem before? Are there any obvious causes for this?

I haven't checked the fuses yet. I'm currently staying away from taking any action myself until I have some more info at hand or some one from Chevrolet looks at it.

THE MANUAL:
The manual says, the Service Vehicle sign illuminates yellow and in combination with a warning code. I however didn't find any reference to the warning codes elsewhere in the Manual. Nor do I know where on the console do I look for it. Does any one have any idea?

Thanks,
Praveen

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks