Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2013, 14:08   #571
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat TCDI Diesel : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr_beat View Post
I have once traveled between Bangalore to Trichy (almost the same route) under similar weather conditions. With 3 people 100-120Km/hr range the FE was 17.5 We had set 19-Deg and Auto mode. What is the AC settings you use? Your fuel efficiency figures are very good.
Mine is LS and so manual AC only. As I indicated its set at point 3 with recirculation mode. Last Sunday, Chevy carried out a mileage rally in chennai. I participated in that and by not using AC, driving my beat at 40-45 KMPH, the mileage attained was 23.47 KMPL. The route was from Cathedral road, Marina beach, adyar, Madhya kailash, OMR, Kelambakkam, Kovalam, VGP resort. The first two who got prizes were 38.1 and 38 KMPL.
But personally, I prefer to drive my car as how the scenario expects me to. I am not a mileage freak.
Old 24th April 2013, 13:52   #572

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balaji31582 View Post
Mine is LS and so manual AC only. As I indicated its set at point 3 with recirculation mode. Last Sunday, Chevy carried out a mileage rally in chennai. I participated in that and by not using AC, driving my beat at 40-45 KMPH, the mileage attained was 23.47 KMPL. The route was from Cathedral road, Marina beach, adyar, Madhya kailash, OMR, Kelambakkam, Kovalam, VGP resort. The first two who got prizes were 38.1 and 38 KMPL.
But personally, I prefer to drive my car as how the scenario expects me to. I am not a mileage freak.
So thats how you get massive FE figures!! Totally agree... how can you enjoy driving when your constantly worried about Mileage!! Since i am a newbie and beat being my first car I am just finding out clues and improving by getting tips from people having great-good driving skills! Thanks!
Old 26th April 2013, 22:17   #573

Quote:
Hi Friends

I left my beat diesel for 22500 kms service interval at Sundaram Motors, Chennai. I wanted my car's wiper blades to be replaced. Since this is a paid service, I requested the Service Adviser to give me the quote. It came around Rs.2000 including the service charge for the general which also comprises of inspection of brake disc,pads, brake drum, etc.

I got a call from the SA, around 4 PM today and was informed that my Car's brake disc, brake pads and wheel drum have to be replaced. I was told the Wheel drum will be replaced under warranty but the brake disc and pads would need to be charged. But I notified them that I didn't find any problem with my brakes. He then told me that if I don't want it to be replaced Its fine, but he told it has worn out and its not good to continue. As I have planned for a trip to KaraiKudi for my friend's marriage with my family, I don't want to take risk and somewhat hesitatingly I gave a go ahead. He has quoted 3500 + taxes for a pair of disc and brake pads.

The SA tried to convince me that for Beat generally on an average after 20000 kms they recommend the owners to change the brake disc and pads as it might get worn out that time. He mentioned that he will show and handover the worn-out parts. But I was not convinced, but still wanted to go ahead because of the trip I have planned with my family. Is that generally the brake disc/pads go off by 20000+ kms on an average? Did any of the beat owners have replaced these? Please let me know.

Recently, I had replaced the brake pads and discs of my Beat Diesel (after 15000 kms of driving - of which around 10000 kms was city driving and the rest on highways), so i guess 22,500 kms is not that bad (assuming most of it was city driving). My vehicle had a squealing sound audibly originating from the front right side of the car for about 2-3 weeks after which I had given the vehicle to Trident Chevrolet at Mysore Road, Bangalore. The Service Advisor explained to me that the brake pads had worn out and the disc too seem to be affected at the right side. He mentioned that generally the life of Beat brake pads is around 10000 Kms for city driving conditions.
As I was due to drive to Kerala the next morning, I just had to go ahead and get the pads/discs replaced. The total bill was Rs.2892 (incl taxes)
I hope the quality of Beat diesel parts are good and has nothing to do with the low pricing of the car
Old 27th April 2013, 08:58   #574
Senior - BHPian

Jay, The life of brake pads only 10,000 km? its a nice joke then in that case the driver should be really bad, first of all take caution when dealing with Trident guys who are very unprofessional I know 3 instances of my friends being cheated. The brake pads should at 30-35k km if used properly. Insist that you want to see when they remove any parts for replacement, else they will play with you with all kinds of stories.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2013, 21:00   #575
BHPian

I was talking to a relative of mine the other day and he was saying that the 3 cylinder engine in the BEAT diesel is a highly stressed engine and that to squeeze out 58 bhp, the engineers have tuned it to the maximum, so that in about three years,the engine will start giving troubles.Is the info in any way true?.

I am also seeing a lot of black greasy residue on outside of the front wheel rims.I guess it's from the calipers.Are the brakes failing?.
Old 4th May 2013, 13:56   #576
Senior - BHPian

Hi ace69, please do not believe such information, it is completely baseless. The use of a turbocharger is to extract more power from a small engine, thats the reason Beat has a small 936cc engine. The use of turbocharger helps in having a smaller engine with lesser weight. The small engine bay of Beat makes it impossible to fit a 1.3L diesel engine. A small wastegate turbo can easly increase the engine output by 15-20% and with a VNT/VGT it can be much higher. There is no need to believe the theory that 3 cylinder engines are stressed, refer to some posts on this thread itself for info on 3 cylinder engines. Beat is a great city car but still does a good job on highways.
deehunk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2013, 10:47   #577
Senior - BHPian

I have a Nov 2011 Beat Diesel, covered about 15-15k km. My 1.5 years service is due, and so I was checking the online manual for Beat diesel. I got a shock when I saw that suggested oil and oil filter change is at 1 year servicing and then afterwards every 10000 km or 1 year, whichever happens earlier. I am sure no oil was changed in my 1 year service!

But now I have the printed manual in my hand, and it clearly states that oil and oil filter change is at 1.5 years/15000kms, and then after every 15000kms or 1.5 years, whichever happens first.

Any idea why Chevrolet increased the frequency of oil change? Owners can see their manual, on page 136. This way we can see after which batch this change was made.
Old 22nd May 2013, 12:03   #578
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mine is LS and so manual AC only. As I indicated its set at point 3 with recirculation mode.
Sorry to barge in to the TCDI Beat thread. I own a Beat LT Petrol.
Will setting the AC blower at some setting help the mileage of a car ? I thought that keeping the compressor ON / OFF affects mileage. So basically if you want AC to work, you need to press the AC button and it highlights a Sun kind of image on the display panel. This is when the fuel usage comes into the picture.
No matter what you set the fan speed to, min / max, it wouldn't impact the mileage.

Please correct me if my understanding is wrong !!
Old 22nd May 2013, 12:22   #579
Senior - BHPian

@Soumyajit9. Me too own a Beat LT Petrol

You are absolutely right. Blower speed don't have any direct impact with respect to mileage of the car. Frequent on and off the AC (compressor - small one in temperature knob) may sip more fuel. I use to switch it off as a turbo boost button for sudden overtaking. I love the third gear of my Beat without AC (not bad with AC too). It is really addictive and nail you to the seat

Cheers!
myavu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2013, 15:01   #580
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
I use to switch it off as a turbo boost button for sudden overtaking. I love the third gear of my Beat without AC (not bad with AC too). It is really addictive and nail you to the seat

Cheers!

Sorry for OT: But turbo boost button, absolutely. Makes me feel we have a turbocharged 1.2 L petrol engine suddenly

Correct if I am wrong but I always thought lowering the temp would increase the fuel consumption as compared to a higher temp regardless of the blower speed?
Old 22nd May 2013, 15:34   #581
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
Correct if I am wrong but I always thought lowering the temp would increase the fuel consumption as compared to a higher temp regardless of the blower speed?
Yes you are correct. Higher the temperature means compressor will cut-off periodically when the set temperature is achieved. Lower temperature settings will lead the compressor to work overboard and take the power away from our little Beaty's 1.2 turbo motor

My best practice is to run the blower alone for around first 1 km and then set the temperature to 21~22 (with respect to the weather - Today 46 degree here in Delhi ) once cabin cools up temperature setting will be upped to 24.

Cheers!
Old 22nd May 2013, 15:38   #582
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
Sorry for OT: But turbo boost button, absolutely. Makes me feel we have a turbocharged 1.2 L petrol engine suddenly
Turbo Boost in Beat P, by switching off the AC button - Yeaaah. Works great for me too.

But lowering the blower speed won't impact the fuel consumption. Think this way - Where is the Fan connected to ? To the Battery ? Not to the Engine. The AC compressor is also connected to the battery, but the moment you turn it On, the pickup of the vehicle lowers. So you press the pedal hard, and the engine consumes more fuel to keep up the speed. Hence the more fuel consumption. Blowing more or less air would only consume more electricity (from the battery). So the engine won't be pressed in that situation.

But the AC fan can be turned down in two cases -
1) When the cabin is chilled
2) When you can't hear your favourite song due to the noise.

The lowering of the fan speed is a common notion. Just recently, my mom was sweating out in their Wagon R with Level 1 of Fan speed. My dad had lowered the fan to save fuel.

EDIT: Phew. Seems I got confused in switching off the blower and lowering the temp. myavu is correct. Lowering the temp will consume fuel, but this is more applicable in the Auto mode.

Last edited by Soumyajit9 : 22nd May 2013 at 15:51.
Old 22nd May 2013, 15:48   #583
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post

But lowering the blower speed won't impact the fuel consumption.
Soumyajit9, he referring to temperature settings not the blower speed. Blower is directly connected to the battery but the temperature is responsible for the compressor working cycle which is squeezing our precious power from Beaty.

Cheers!
myavu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2013, 15:54   #584
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybm1408 View Post
Recently, I had replaced the brake pads and discs of my Beat Diesel (after 15000 kms of driving - of which around 10000 kms was city driving and the rest on highways), so i guess 22,500 kms is not that bad (assuming most of it was city driving).
The Service Advisor explained to me that the brake pads had worn out and the disc too seem to be affected at the right side. He mentioned that generally the life of Beat brake pads is around 10000 Kms for city driving conditions.
Baloney. But going by reports of Cruze's brake pads failing around 20 K kms, I hope Chevy is not making inferior brake pads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
Jay, The life of brake pads only 10,000 km? its a nice joke then in that case the driver should be really bad, first of all take caution when dealing with Trident guys who are very unprofessional I know 3 instances of my friends being cheated. The brake pads should at 30-35k km if used properly. Insist that you want to see when they remove any parts for replacement, else they will play with you with all kinds of stories.
Agreed. I replaced my WagonR's brake pads when the odo was past 50000. My Fiesta's pads are still good at 40000 kms.
Old 22nd May 2013, 16:10   #585
Senior - BHPian

I have moved on to new Chevy Beat Diesel after passing on the keys of my beloved Accent to my cousin, will be coming up with a ownership experience very soon. The decision was to chose between Figo and Beat but finalised Beat purely from FE point of view. I have driven now 800km over the last 20 days and like its driveability in city. I am getting a FE of 18-20kmpl so far in city mostly without AC which I feel is satisfying my purpose of buying. Also in consideration is a Diesel tronic box from Racedynamics after the initial run-in period is completed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks