Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2013, 07:04   #3976
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
What makes me stick with this company is the support which I got from the M&M top management during my problems with Scorpio.
+1
I am absolutely loving the way Mahindra pampers its customers.
I have visited the service center numerous times and have observed that the communication between top management to the guys at lowest level is very very fluid.
I will give two such examples.
First one was when I complaint about the tyre noise and the JK guys flatly refused that its the fault of compound. My car was kept at the service center overnight for windscreen replacement. When I went to pick it up the very next day I accidently met with Area CCM of NCR from Mahindra who was on a scheduled meeting there. To my surprise he knew my whole case and told me I can opt for any OE brand tyres and he will get it replaced. So within last evening and morning, every thing was communicated between Dealership-Mahindra-JK about my case and a decision was already taken and implemented. The JKs didn't budge, Mahindra replaced all tyres (after driving 30k KM) under what they called as "Goodwill Warranty". I am enjoying Bridgestone now.

The second case was just yesterday when I went to the service center to complain about the shoddy job they have done fixing the windshield. The problem was that there was leakage at the bottom of windshield and the water was "pouring" from just above the fuse box on the right hand side. Again I met the Area CCM at the entrance (he was about to leave). I told him about the incident and he shot email then and there to the GM Service at the dealership. I went ahead to meet my RM and while he was creating the job card the GM and the Cheaf Technician came to me and told me about the (not too kindly worded) email from the Area CCM. It was a body shop job (at a different location) but they told me that they would personally take care of it. These guys were very forthcoming and were more interested in listening, rather than arguing about the workmanship. They also told me that the Area CCM has asked them to replace the break pads to the latest ones.
I have a habit of meeting the actual mechanic who will work on my car when I visit. As soon as job card was created I went along with my car to the workshop and the mechanic who was assigned the job already had the new version breakpads issued by the store in his hands. Mind you I am talking about a service center that is supper busy and they cater to 50-60 XUVs daily. All the above happen within 15 minutes.
That's the kind of fluid communication that I am talking about.
I may or may not be happy with the car but I am surely delighted by the service and care that I get from the dealership and Mahindra.

Last edited by rohitbagai : 1st February 2013 at 07:07.
rohitbagai is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st February 2013, 08:35   #3977
Senior - BHPian

Well, it may be not be applicable to all mahindra service centres. It is the people that make the difference. NCR Area CCM seems to be good at his work. Good for you Mr Bagai.

Replacement of all the tyres at 30K kms is amazing even by MARUTI' s standards.

Last edited by F150 : 1st February 2013 at 08:39.
Old 1st February 2013, 09:02   #3978
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Well, it may be not be applicable to all mahindra service centres. It is the people that make the difference. NCR Area CCM seems to be good at his work. Good for you Mr Bagai.

Replacement of all the tyres at 30K kms is amazing even by MARUTI' s standards.
Exactly my thought! My RM does not even bother to call back if he misses my call.
Old 1st February 2013, 10:37   #3979
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post

Exactly my thought! My RM does not even bother to call back if he misses my call.
I even echo the same thought. My last RM did not even have my number stored on his mobile. Everytime I called him up,I had to introduce myself, sometimes even twice in one day.

Now on my last visit I met a new RM, he was recently appointed by the dealership. Guy is young, just out of his Mechanical Engng diploma. Now he knows nothing about the XUV in general. But he is honest about it and learning.

I insisted to be attended by the new guy. Atleast he gives me good attention. And the guy was very prompt when I complained about the poor brakes. He got it changed immediately. He even called back after a few days to find out if the XUV is behaving well.

Thats all for now.
Happy Motoring.
Old 1st February 2013, 12:34   #3980
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by liferocks View Post
Now on my last visit I met a new RM, he was recently appointed by the dealership. Guy is young, just out of his Mechanical Engng diploma. Now he knows nothing about the XUV in general. But he is honest about it and learning.

I insisted to be attended by the new guy. Atleast he gives me good attention. And the guy was very prompt when I complained about the poor brakes. He got it changed immediately. He even called back after a few days to find out if the XUV is behaving well.

Thats all for now.
Happy Motoring.
Ditto! When I visited the service center last time, I was attended by a new RM, although my RM was present in the service center. Noticeable difference in promptness and attention.

I believe the new breed of RMs are going to be overall better. May be the earlier RMs were mostly Service Advisors promoted to RM and some of them have not mentally made that shift.
Old 3rd February 2013, 15:40   #3981
Senior - BHPian

Just noticed from page 1 of this thread and the M&M website that in little over a year from launch the price has increased by exactly 1lakh rupees. This is indeed a very good pricing strategy by M&M and effectively cuts down the depreciation the initial batch of owners face by about 8-9% !
Old 3rd February 2013, 19:33   #3982
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
...What makes me stick with this company is the support which I got from the M&M top management during my problems with Scorpio...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitbagai View Post
+1
I am absolutely loving the way Mahindra pampers its customers.
I have visited the service center numerous times and have observed that the communication between top management to the guys at lowest level is very very fluid.
I will give two such examples....

Again I met the Area CCM at the entrance (he was about to leave). I told him about the incident and he shot email then and there to the GM Service at the dealership...
Agree completely. Though I don't own a Mahindra, the ONLY reason these ever got into my wish list was the way the company was positively treating their customers. I was very very impressed how even Mr. Mahindra bothers to take time to answer simple problems and get it attended to. The product may not be perfect, but such gestures go a long way in building customer trust in the brand & loyalty as well!
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2013, 17:29   #3983
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Agree completely. Though I don't own a Mahindra, the ONLY reason these ever got into my wish list was the way the company was positively treating their customers.
The customer connect of M&M is phenominal and specially at the top management level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitbagai View Post
I am absolutely loving the way Mahindra pampers its customers. I have visited the service center numerous times and have observed that the communication between top management to the guys at lowest level is very very fluid.
First one was when I complaint about the tyre noise and the JK guys flatly refused that its the fault of compound.
I had a similar experience with my Bridgestones which were replaced by M&M & the A.S.S. sharing equal responsibility for causing damage to the tyres on account of incorrect balancing. In my case Bridgestone refused to accept liability and their report was damning and critical of the way the rotation and balancing was handled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
I was surprised to hear that there are people who do not consider Strome, while their shopping list includes XUV. In my opinion, people should not take decisions based on perception of others. Give it a try and if do not like it for any reason, do not buy. But not trying itself is a mistake.
Well there is a certain image and perceptions (speaking for myself) associated with a Tata vehicle which for me is enough to have a Storme or any other Tata vehicle out of considration.

I have personally witnessed and borne the high headedness of Tata dealers when the Indica was on its peak and have had enogh close references of shoddy sales and after sales experiences. This prompted me to even keep the Fiat out of considration few years back, since the service was with Tata.
Old 4th February 2013, 17:55   #3984
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Well for starters I actually found it more planted than the Storme. It did not make me tired and it did not make me go left-right-left-right. I am going to have another longish TD into the mountains. Will revert back then.

Currently I have TDed both on the very same smooth road and XUV did not tire me.
Let me take a guess here. You rode the Storme on winding roads? If so I am not surprised by your findings. Storme has very pliant suspension when compared to the taut suspension of XUV. That's why on pothole infested plains if drive both the cars at slow speed (upto 30 kmph) the XUV will appear unsettled as compared to the Storme (at higher speeds the XUV eats up those potholes). However on the winding hilly roads the handling of Storme will unsettle people. If you have a history of sea-sickness you may experice that. Else as you put it, "right and left, left and right"... The soft suspensions always make you feel unsettled on winding roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by liferocks View Post
I even echo the same thought. My last RM did not even have my number stored on his mobile.
Actually, the RMs may or may not be always so inclined. In this case also its not the RM who did anything extraordinary for Rohit, in case you noticed. Its the M&M area manager. And that's where the beauty of it lies. The folks who drive these guys (A.S.S., RMs etc) are committed to a cause and unfailing go after an issue if you talk to them.

Let me give you guys another example, this time from Hyderabad. After 6 months usage I discovered that the rear window glass on my XUV has surgical incisions all over it. Glass is not covered in warranty (anywhere). However I talked to the area manager and asked him as to how am I responsible if the glasses moving through the channels get incisions. He immediately agreed and called up the SS and asked them to put in a replacement glass under goodwill warranty.

You see, across India, there is a definitive trend in the way M&M execs behave. I feel they have taken a leaf out of MS books and are trying to go further with that. And thats what gets them all the brownee points. I would rather go with M&M than say a rude, foreign manufacturer who will believe that they are the untouchables. And although you will get a "superior" product if you take the "foreign route" but if something happens you will have go through the grind to make anyone listen to the issue.

Last edited by Zappo : 4th February 2013 at 20:12.
Zappo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2013, 18:01   #3985
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
...That's why on pothole infested plains if drive both the cars at slow speed (upto 30 kmph) the XUV will appear unsettled as compared to the Storme (at higher speeds the XUV eats up those potholes).
If XUV is driven over potholes at high speeds to gobble it up, would NOT it take a toll on the suspension parts? Being a monocoque, I take it that XUV should not be abused. Or has Mahindra used some heavy duty parts to keep up with the abuse?
Old 4th February 2013, 20:17   #3986
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If XUV is driven over potholes at high speeds to gobble it up, would NOT it take a toll on the suspension parts? Being a monocoque, I take it that XUV should not be abused. Or has Mahindra used some heavy duty parts to keep up with the abuse?
You make XUV sound like a tin doll!

XUV might be a monocoque but I don't think XUV needs to be handled with kid gloves either. Its actually pretty rugged... or at least rugged enough not to get break apart with the potholes on the road. Yeah, you may not go climbing rocks and ford through the river beds in the wilderness with an XUV but bad roads are the least of worries for sure.
Zappo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th February 2013, 20:48   #3987
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
You make XUV sound like a tin doll! ...
Didn't mean to! Being an SUV, am sure people would abuse it or expect the car to be abused. Wanted to know to what extent it can be done considering it's not a ladder frame.

When I have such an SUV, I would love to drive it F-A-S-T thru bad roads on a highway and want, not to bother about repairs on the suspension parts. Hence the query.

Could you also tell me, what exact benefits one will have for an Innova compared to an XUV from these abuse on suspension parts over an XUV?

Edit:: I ask this because I have a Swift & in one year / 15,000 kms, I had to overhaul the suspension (again) owing to bad roads. And the car was hardly abused on such roads. Considering I pay around 4.5K for the job, it's NOT something I would like to creep up in my cars in a span of 15,000 kms; not a swift nor a future SUV.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 4th February 2013 at 20:52. Reason: Added "Edit" portion
Old 5th February 2013, 09:25   #3988
Senior - BHPian

Don't know about XUV but I paid Rs. 45K for a full front suspension replacement at 40000 Kms on my Safari 3.0Lt. It was downright scary. Coming down from Uttarkashi, the steering was juddering whenever I braked. Went to the service center. The service guy held the front wheel in hand and shook it. Yes it Shook! It had a play of about an inch measured at the edge of the tires. He looked worryingly at me and just said that "Bhagwan ka haath hai aap par sar"- God's hand is on you sir. Because that suspension should have crumbled under hard braking, let alone coming down from steep mountain roads.

So that was that. But frankly I don't expect the XUV to be any better in the suspension longevity dept. We have changed the suspensions of Scorpio as well in that kind of span. Only point being that now we have become more alert to these kind of happenings and keep a check on premature wear and tear and pay through the nose for the upkeep of the vehicle.

Coming to the Innova. Well it will last you long. Don't know how much compared to the XUV but typically 80k is a good run. We have had cars of a few friends having their suspensions changed at 70k-100k kms. That is a good suspension. But it is sligtly on the expensive side.

Also please note that the amount given above was for a full suspension replacement. So badly torn that it had to be replaced. I am not even mentioning the replaced bushes because they happen at nearly every 8000 to 9000 kms. SUV's are expensive to maintain.
navpreet318 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th February 2013, 09:46   #3989
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Don't know about XUV but I paid Rs. 45K for a full front suspension replacement at 40000 Kms on my Safari 3.0Lt. It was downright scary. Coming down from Uttarkashi, the steering was juddering whenever I braked. Went to the service center. The service guy held the front wheel in hand and shook it. Yes it Shook! It had a play of about an inch measured at the edge of the tires. He looked worryingly at me and just said that "Bhagwan ka haath hai aap par sar"- God's hand is on you sir. Because that suspension should have crumbled under hard braking, let alone coming down from steep mountain roads.
Thanks for sharing your experience navpreet318. 45K for a full front suspension replacement is indeed a very big amount. I know Safari 3.0Lt is huge & suspension parts would be equally heavy & costly, but then why did they fail in the first place & that too resulting in a complete suspension overhaul? Isn't it designed to withstand the rough roads?

Quote:
Coming to the Innova. Well it will last you long. Don't know how much compared to the XUV but typically 80k is a good run. We have had cars of a few friends having their suspensions changed at 70k-100k kms. That is a good suspension. But it is sligtly on the expensive side.
I think SUVs/MUVs come with a rough road package & these vehicles intentionally or otherwise would be driven on bad roads with least consideration for the suspension. So the suspension of these vehicle should be designed to take some abuse.

Quote:
Edit:: I ask this because I have a Swift & in one year / 15,000 kms, I had to overhaul the suspension (again) owing to bad roads. And the car was hardly abused on such roads. Considering I pay around 4.5K for the job, it's NOT something I would like to creep up in my cars in a span of 15,000 kms; not a swift nor a future SUV.
Were the roads really so bad or you had some nasty pothole hits? It would not be fair to compare, but just wanted to share that I did my first suspension job after 8.5 years & 120K kms, Assy. Front Strut complete LH was replaced at a cost of over just INR 3K. I think Indica's suspension is most abuse friendly, no wonder why it the favorite vehicle of most fleet owners/ BPO cabs

Last edited by AutoIndian : 5th February 2013 at 09:48.
Old 5th February 2013, 11:09   #3990
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
....................but then why did they fail in the first place & that too resulting in a complete suspension overhaul? Isn't it designed to withstand the rough roads?

Well for starters I asked the same question to the mechs. They said its normal. Safaris have had suspension replacements at 50-60K intervals. Infact We have had 5 Safaris in our company and all of them had this issue sooner or later. in the 40 to 60k kms interval.

Add a 2.5 ton vehicle to the bad roads equation and its a recipe for disaster no matter how good the suspension is. Its cast and welded parts after all. They will fail. Just that Tatas and Mahindras fail before other as the quality control is not that great.

I have seen the difference in quality control. Having worked at a very high profile ancillary, I have seen how they work on export items and on domestic items at the very same plant. Export stuff is 100% inspected and has very high quality control. Domestic? Eh? well "that scratch won't even show" kind of attitude. Infact most of the export rejects find their way easily in domestic lot.
navpreet318 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks