Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2012, 15:08   #196
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Eon : Test Drive & Review

Why Hyundai has given the Intermittent function to the wipers. The Mist function can not be a substitute for it but should have been an additional one.
Old 14th July 2012, 17:24   #197

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k
Why Hyundai has given the Intermittent function to the wipers. The Mist function can not be a substitute for it but should have been an additional one.
There are no intermittent wiper however if you see the instruction manual that comes with the car, it shows that it has that feature . Funny.
Old 28th September 2012, 23:04   #198
Senior - BHPian

What is not ON with the EON?

So i was flummoxed today on reading the sales numbers for August:

(from GTO's sales analysis thread).
Clearly, the Eon sells just 15% above the Manza, lesser than the i10, the WagonR, Alto, Figo and even i20 (which probably has many diesel customers).

So can someone (esp recent buyers) throw light on WHY the Eon has not really captured the volumes it has - compared to the rather dated Alto! If I were to get one, I would go for the Eon!

Now- I don't own one nor plan to, but am simply curious!
Old 29th September 2012, 01:59   #199
Team-BHP Support

Re: What is not ON with the EON?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
So i was flummoxed today on reading the sales numbers for August:

(from GTO's sales analysis thread).
Clearly, the Eon sells just 15% above the Manza, lesser than the i10, the WagonR, Alto, Figo and even i20 (which probably has many diesel customers).

So can someone (esp recent buyers) throw light on WHY the Eon has not really captured the volumes it has - compared to the rather dated Alto! If I were to get one, I would go for the Eon!

Now- I don't own one nor plan to, but am simply curious!
For me the problem was the engine. Hyundai lost out on a great opportunity with the Eon. They tried to make the Santro and Eon co exist together and to differentiate both, they developed the 800cc engine for the Eon. The engine is pretty lack lustre with very poor low rpm grunt, unrefined with unwanted vibrations and FE is not all that great.

They have been using the Santro's 1.1L engine for years now. The 1.1L was launched in the Santro in 2002/2003. Instead of reinventing a new engine this same engine could be used. The dies and manufacturing are already old and they would have recovered the capital from the Santro itself.

The target customer was always going to be different. Just like the WagonR/Estilo and Alto K10, the Eon and Santro could have existed with the same 1.1L engine known for FE, refinement, and excellent drive ability.

Imagine the Eon with 1.1L engine, an AT gearbox form the erst while Sanro AT under cutting the A-star AT. What a perfect city hatch.

Hyundai should just go back to the 1.1L engine in the Eon or atleast offer both options like the Alto 800cc and K10. That would make people take notice at a vfm hatch with good performance and decent FE.
Vid6639 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th September 2012, 02:37   #200
Team-BHP Support

^^ Hopefully, there is a plan.

Is it possible that Hyundai may discontinue the Santro in a few years and give the Eon the Santro's heart while offering it with an AT as well? It seems plausible. The Eon is a fresh car. It's still finding its roots and it will take some time before it becomes the most important car in terms of volumes for Hyundai.

It remains to be seen if Hyundai will be able to flog the age-old 1.1 from the Santro, given that the emission norms will continue to tighten its noose around car manufacturers as the years go by.
Old 29th September 2012, 08:29   #201
BHPian

Hyundai Eon:
800 CC Engine lags in every aspect
FE is bad than ALto
Old 29th September 2012, 09:53   #202
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
^^ Hopefully, there is a plan.

It remains to be seen if Hyundai will be able to flog the age-old 1.1 from the Santro, given that the emission norms will continue to tighten its noose around car manufacturers as the years go by.
Suhaas, both the Eon and Santro have the same engine to an extent. Eon has a 3 cylinder of the same design engine as the Santro.

If at all, the FE will change between the 2. Emissions will probably apply to both.

The Suzuki K10 engine was brought in only for this reason. Since the older F10D was not able to meet emission norms. Somehow they managed to make the F8D BS4 compliant but man it's such a pain to drive in the city. It jerks a lot and is not smooth.
Old 29th September 2012, 17:13   #203
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Suhaas, both the Eon and Santro have the same engine to an extent. Eon has a 3 cylinder of the same design engine as the Santro.
We've had this discussion before.

Yeah the Eon's unit is pretty much the same unit that's in the Santro albeit without one cylinder. I knew that! My question though is different.

Will there come a day when Hyundai will discontinue the Santro and replace it with the Eon, and also shoehorn the Santro's 4-pot 1.1 liter mill into the Eon? That would make a great city car, especially with an AT. That said, I was thoroughly disappointed by the quality of the Eon's interior. It does not look like it would age too well. It's a far cry from the Santro's interior that isn't bad even after a decade.
Old 2nd October 2012, 01:06   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Chief Competitors of the Hyundai Eon

Maruti Alto

What you’ll like:
• Low price tag and cost of ownership
• Decent build quality
• Competent on-road behavior
• Consistently high fuel efficiency
• Superb after-sales service

What you won’t:
• Basic in nature, inside out. Feels outdated
• Cramped interiors
• Small boot
• Poor engine performance with air-con on

Picture source : Various Team-BHP Ownership Threads
OT - LOL i was planning to sell my Alto ( Featured in this pic ) and go for a Hatch ( Range of 4 lacs to 5.5 lacs ) and here i bump into my car again
Old 19th October 2012, 00:20   #205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post
OT - LOL i was planning to sell my Alto ( Featured in this pic ) and go for a Hatch ( Range of 4 lacs to 5.5 lacs ) and here i bump into my car again
I've already put my Alto on sale and have finalised to buy EON. I'm getting a good deal in Delhi

OTR - 3.6 lacs for Magna + ( Would push further when i sit on the table to finalise the deal )

I liked the following -

Looks
Interiors
Drive - Would be primarily used in the city and i'm very much capable of taking it on drives as long as DL-MH however would be used for 600-700 kms per month
Features - PS/PW/Stereo with USB & I-Pod outlets/storage space/both side RVM's

What i can compromise

Rear seating - would be hardly used as i have a Safari for those occasional family trips
NVH - Test drove my team members EON and was pretty impressed

What i'm worried about

Mileage - Have not been able to get a clear picture on this till now and this definitely plays a huge role

Spare parts - Not sure about the cost of the spares

I would be going for alloys to make my EON look better and classy - not sure about which tyres though

I hope i'm making the right decision.
Old 19th October 2012, 10:38   #206
BANNED

Quote:
I've already put my Alto on sale and have finalised to buy EON.
Not a worthy upgrade. Other than the flashy and over-done looks, you are get nothing more, IMO. You can go for the next segment cars like i10, WR, Beat etc.
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2012, 10:51   #207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Not a worthy upgrade. Other than the flashy and over-done looks, you are get nothing more, IMO. You can go for the next segment cars like i10, WR, Beat etc.
I'm not looking for an upgrade. This is going to be a replacement to the alto , just that the alto has aged ( has done 1.2 lacs kms ) and would soon ask for lot of maintenance.

Like i said this car is going to be used for less than 1000 kms a month and would be primarily used for communtation from point A to point B.
Old 19th October 2012, 12:02   #208
BANNED

Quote:
This is going to be a replacement to the alto , just that the alto has aged ( has done 1.2 lacs kms ) and would soon ask for lot of maintenance.
OK. But then you need to be aware of the huge maintenance cost of the aged Hyundais. Please try to get some idea from fellow BHPians about the bigger-than-expected maintenance cost of old Santros, Getz and i10s.
Old 19th October 2012, 13:04   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
OK. But then you need to be aware of the huge maintenance cost of the aged Hyundais. Please try to get some idea from fellow BHPians about the bigger-than-expected maintenance cost of old Santros, Getz and i10s.
I'm trying my best. Have gone through 2 ownership threads of EON's ( there are only 2 ) and they've not clocked too many kms so far.

My friends owning hyundai cars swear by the reliability and maintenance so i guess i'll have to take a chance. Also i got to know that the service intervals are after every 15 K kms which was music to ears - so potentially i'll have to get the car serviced once a year or maybe once in 8-9 months.
Old 19th October 2012, 14:36   #210
BHPian

Why not the Alto K10 ? It does not fair well in terms of equipment list or interior space, but its fun to drive and in my personal experience more fuel efficient. And anyone who has a habit of driving with one hand on the gear knob (i do) should stay away from the Eon as the gear liver shakes like anything.

Something about the maintenance aspect, while its true that Hyundais have a higher cost of ownership they are really good with their warranty service, take an extended warranty and you can get most issues fixed and even expensive parts replaced without much fuss (there is no wrangling over warranty clauses or as such as there is with some other manufacturers they just replace it )

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks