Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2014, 08:03   #1621
BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque18 View Post
Attaching a picture of the birthday gift to my MY12 Rapid. Its OEM from Skoda, installed without cutting or splicing of any wire.
Congrats mate! With a simple tweak, you've turned your Rapid MY12 into a MY14 one, except for the badges.

Please share the cost of installation for the sake of other members, who seek similar upgradation.
Pferdestarke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2014, 08:24   #1622
BHPian

Quote:
Attaching a picture of the birthday gift to my MY12 Rapid

Its OEM from Skoda, installed without cutting or splicing of any wire.

Sorry for the poor quality pic. Its the crappy BB camera!

Looks beautiful! Congrats!

Please share cost.
How to source it?
As this is OEM product. So warranty should not be a problem I believe.

Any problems with switching between high and low beam? I believe you had posted about this problem earlier.
Old 30th May 2014, 09:52   #1623
BHPian

There is some trouble with the parking lights, requires some connecter modification if I am not mistaken.
Old 30th May 2014, 13:59   #1624
BHPian

Quote:
Attaching a picture of the birthday gift to my MY12 Rapid

Its OEM from Skoda, installed without cutting or splicing of any wire.

Sorry for the poor quality pic. Its the crappy BB camera!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 500ContyCruiser View Post

Please share cost.
How to source it?

Any problems with switching between high and low beam? I believe you had posted about this problem earlier.
Also.. Do share feedback on night driving.
Old 30th May 2014, 19:32   #1625
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pferdestarke View Post
Congrats mate! With a simple tweak, you've turned your Rapid MY12 into a MY14 one, except for the badges.

Please share the cost of installation for the sake of other members, who seek similar upgradation.
Quote:

Please share cost.
How to source it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_convert View Post
There is some trouble with the parking lights, requires some connecter modification if I am not mistaken.
Got it from the dealer after several hiccups. It costed around 22k with the four bulbs (2 of which cost around 700 each). The bulbs are shared with Laura.

The units were installed at my place by my brother himself. The connectors are exactly the same, albeit the changed position of connector on the left unit which necessitates loosening up the wiring harness a little bit to make it reach the connector part.

Yes, there was a problem getting both the high beam and low beam to work together but that was taken care of by making a slight change in the connections behind the headlight switch. I repeat, changes in connection without cutting or splicing a single wire. It has been done in such a manner that the power flows to the low beam constantly once you switch the headlights on from the knob. This means that when the knob is in the off position and you flash the light, only the high beam lights up (i think this is how it is in the MY14 models).

And no problems with parking lights or indicator bulbs whatsoever.

Quote:
Also.. Do share feedback on night driving.
The units were installed 2 weeks back but I haven't taken the car out since then except for a 4-5 kms drive within city. The twin beams do have better illumination but I think focusing is required as I feel the beam falling a tad too short. Apart from this, the low beam is more than sufficient for city use and does not have a blinding effect even if you look straight into the unit!

I am scheduled to leave for Delhi on Sunday so that will give me the exact idea of the improvement. Will post the review soon.
torque18 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2014, 19:58   #1626
BHPian

Quote:

The units were installed at my place by my brother himself. The connectors are exactly the same, albeit the changed position of connector on the left unit which necessitates loosening up the wiring harness a little bit to make it reach the connector part.

Yes, there was a problem getting both the high beam and low beam to work together but that was taken care of by making a slight change in the connections behind the headlight switch. I repeat, changes in connection without cutting or splicing a single wire. It has been done in such a manner that the power flows to the low beam constantly once you switch the headlights on from the knob. This means that when the knob is in the off position and you flash the light, only the high beam lights up (i think this is how it is in the MY14 models).

And no problems with parking lights or indicator bulbs whatsoever.

Thank you for figuring this out. It would help all of us if you could share exactly what connectors were modified and how!

Any comparisons with stock reflectors with 90/100w bulbs and these?

Car looks great!
Old 31st May 2014, 11:13   #1627
BHPian

I'm not very happy with the stock headlights of my new Rapid. I barely manage to notice much on the road even with high beam. Is it due to the low intensity of the stock bulbs? Looking for some advise if anyone else has experienced the same problem and the possible solution for it.

Thanks
Pete
Old 31st May 2014, 13:36   #1628
BHPian

Took my Rapid for a spin yesterday night and I hit the highway block which I used to frequent in my Fabia. Normally I look into the speedo only when I feel 'This is the limit'. In my Fabia it has always been ~140 kmph, but in Rapid it was 120kmph . The speed masking was really great in my Fabia. Need few more long drives and open roads I guess. And one more thing I could notice was the vibrations reported by my dad. It has also been discussed in this thread. It is mentioned that the vibration vanishes on reaching optimum temperature. But I could feel the vibrations whenever the RPM is between 1500 and 2000. May be because the vibrations reach the resonant frequency at this point? Does everyone feel the same?

Quote:
This means that when the knob is in the off position and you flash the light, only the high beam lights up (i think this is how it is in the MY14 models).
That is a great birthday gift man . Yes you are right, this is how it works in MY14 models.
Old 31st May 2014, 15:44   #1629
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspeter View Post
I'm not very happy with the stock headlights of my new Rapid. I barely manage to notice much on the road even with high beam. Is it due to the low intensity of the stock bulbs? Looking for some advise if anyone else has experienced the same problem and the possible solution for it.

Thanks
Pete
Although I havent felt the stock headlights to be grossly inadequate, I went for Philips Xtreme vision, costing about 950/- bucks. I can see a visible difference in night lighting. You can check it out. I got it from AK traders at JC road, Bangalore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narsi_6989 View Post
Took my Rapid for a spin yesterday night and I hit the highway block which I used to frequent in my Fabia. Normally I look into the speedo only when I feel 'This is the limit'. In my Fabia it has always been ~140 kmph, but in Rapid it was 120kmph . And one more thing I could notice was the vibrations.....

I have felt the high speed discomfort too. In the Laura, I could comfortably take it upto 160km and not feel a thing. (This was done only once for about 20 seconds, I do not advocate such high speeds anywhere.)
In the Rapid, I do feel uncomfortable when I push it beyond 120 kmph. Not as stable as say a Laura. But our Indian roads are not worth going at higher speeds anyway, unless we compromise on safety.

And where are the vibrations being felt? In the whole car? In Rapid, it is a known issue that the clutch vibrates when idle. Not heard or experienced the full car vibrating as such.
Old 31st May 2014, 16:06   #1630
BHPian

Quote:
But I could feel the vibrations whenever the RPM is between 1500 and 2000. May be because the vibrations reach the resonant frequency at this point? Does everyone feel the same?
What's your odo reading? I think quivering is common during run-in period as new parts inside the engine undergo a lot of friction. This usually settles down with usage and oil replacement. Even I've experienced similar shuddering during >120 speeds but definitely not below that except for a cold start. Yes, resonance could also be a reason for that.

Last edited by Pferdestarke : 31st May 2014 at 16:07.
Old 31st May 2014, 16:11   #1631
BHPian

I assume you're referring to the high beam bulbs. What about the low beam which I assume in MY14 are the projector's. Can those be upgraded with higher intensity bulbs? Can I get the bulbs replaced in the open market without fiddling with the wiring? Hope I will not run into any warranty issues later with the dealer.

Thanks
Pete
Old 2nd June 2014, 11:38   #1632
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
I have felt the high speed discomfort too. In the Laura, I could comfortably take it upto 160km and not feel a thing. (This was done only once for about 20 seconds, I do not advocate such high speeds anywhere.)
In the Rapid, I do feel uncomfortable when I push it beyond 120 kmph. Not as stable as say a Laura. But our Indian roads are not worth going at higher speeds anyway, unless we compromise on safety.
Laura is infact a class apart. I do not want to compare Rapid with Laura. My point is, the less expensive Fabia was better in this aspect. But I come to know that there are many changes in the Fabia on sale today. Mine was the 2009 model and was different.

And even I do not advocate high speed driving and I normally love to cruise at ~100kmph. Only when I take out the vehicle exclusively for a ride in the highways I try to hit some speed and that too late in the night.

Quote:
And where are the vibrations being felt? In the whole car? In Rapid, it is a known issue that the clutch vibrates when idle. Not heard or experienced the full car vibrating as such.
As for the vibrations, it is felt in the gear lever and the steering wheel. It is very prominent when you progress from 1500 rpm in 3rd and 4th gear. When the speed build/rpm touches 2000 mark, it slowly comes down.

Quote:
What's your odo reading? I think quivering is common during run-in period as new parts inside the engine undergo a lot of friction. This usually settles down with usage and oil replacement. Even I've experienced similar shuddering during >120 speeds but definitely not below that except for a cold start. Yes, resonance could also be a reason for that.
The vehicle is pretty new and the ODO is 3900 kms. May I should give it some more time to settle down and check the behavior post 7500km free check up.
Old 2nd June 2014, 11:52   #1633
BHPian

Quote:
The vehicle is pretty new and the ODO is 3900 kms. May I should give it some more time to settle down and check the behavior post 7500km free check up.
Yeah, I suggest you to give it some time till the free check up and meanwhile check your engine oil levels regularly. I hope you are following the 30 second idling rule. If not, please do it hence forth.
Pferdestarke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2014, 11:53   #1634
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As for the vibrations, it is felt in the gear lever and the steering wheel. It is very prominent when you progress from 1500 rpm in 3rd and 4th gear. When the speed build/rpm touches 2000 mark, it slowly comes down.

I think its better to give it some more time to settle down. Steering vibration may also be an alignment issue. You can check it out.
hrman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2014, 11:57   #1635
BHPian

Quote:
Yeah, I suggest you to give it some time till the free check up and meanwhile check your engine oil levels regularly. I hope you are following the 30 second idling rule. If not, please do it hence forth.
Infact I am following the rule for 60 seconds

Quote:
I think its better to give it some more time to settle down. Steering vibration may also be an alignment issue. You can check it out.
Will be driving directly from office to wheel alignment center this evening. Got to get the ride ready for a 1000 km round trip scheduled for tomorrow and day after
narsi_6989 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks