Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2013, 13:13   #466
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Diesel - in theory, yes. But I shudder to think of what a home grown Tata diesel engine will mean for a car of that size and weight, in terms of NVH and handling. The only decent diesel engine they have that is fit for passenger cars is the Fiat engine. I can't see Tata coming up with a diesel engine as refined as say the one in the Honda Amaze, cut down to size for the Nano. And then the pricing of the car will create further issues.
I don't know if its true, but I heard that Nano will get the Ace's heart with a turbo charger bolted on it. I have been in the TATA Ace taxi many times, yes the NVH is not good, but I found the engine surprisingly smooth and jerk free and even with full load the engine never felt strained. The engine pulled cleanly from low revs. I can only imagine it doing better on the Nano with that turbo charger (specd 41 Ps, 90 Nm torque). And with only 700 kgs to throw about, turbo-lag would not be a problem.
The OTR price should land somewhere less than 3 lakhs, and that could easily hamper the sales of Alto, Spark, etc.
The only problem then being the boot space and different sized tyres front and back. And if TATA could give Europa bigger tyres, I think the Nano should get them too. Big tyres make the vehicle look stronger, and will make the Nano look like a car finally. Go on TATA take some tips from Mahindra Reva e20.
Old 11th July 2013, 13:44   #467
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by avingodb View Post
Has anyone here done DIY for AC filters cleaning?
My car's ac is not chilling anymore at speed 1 and 2 is too noisy to operate all the time.
Plus my scheduled service is still 2 months away.
Please check my thread - Nano and life after 10k, i have done it once.
You would need a tool which bends at right angles.
Old 11th July 2013, 13:44   #468
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmad.007 View Post
I don't know if its true, but I heard that Nano will get the Ace's heart with a turbo charger bolted on it. I have been in the TATA Ace taxi many times, yes the NVH is not good, but I found the engine surprisingly smooth and jerk free and even with full load the engine never felt strained.
If it works well, that's all to the good. The little car deserves a break!
Old 11th July 2013, 14:10   #469
BHPian

Quote:
I don't know if its true, but I heard that Nano will get the Ace's heart with a turbo charger bolted on it. I have been in the TATA Ace taxi many times, yes the NVH is not good, but I found the engine surprisingly smooth and jerk free and even with full load the engine never felt strained. The engine pulled cleanly from low revs. I can only imagine it doing better on the Nano with that turbo charger (specd 41 Ps, 90 Nm torque). And with only 700 kgs to throw about, turbo-lag would not be a problem.
This seems like a good idea although at an OTR of about 3 lakhs, I don't know how many will consider the Nano. A friend of mine is in Leh right now having driven all the way from Delhi. He crossed Khardung La yesterday. Even though I wouldn't recommend the nano for the highways, it definitely has the power. The image that TATAs built for the Nano is what has been it's downfall. TATA made it sound as if the Nano was a logical upgrade from a rikshaw and not a proper second city car.

I think it's going to take a lot of effort to change the image of the Nano.
Old 11th July 2013, 14:31   #470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharninder View Post

This seems like a good idea although at an OTR of about 3 lakhs, I don't know how many will consider the Nano. A friend of mine is in Leh right now having driven all the way from Delhi. He crossed Khardung La yesterday. Even though I wouldn't recommend the nano for the highways, it definitely has the power. The image that TATAs built for the Nano is what has been it's downfall. TATA made it sound as if the Nano was a logical upgrade from a rikshaw and not a proper second city car.

I think it's going to take a lot of effort to change the image of the Nano.
Correct, the image of Nano is not of a proper car, rather than a compromise on 4 wheels.
Nano definitely has enough power, but the small tyres are a let down, little grip, lesser stability, increased risk of overheating and bursts. Alto or Eon anyday for the high road.
Old 12th July 2013, 11:28   #471
BHPian

Quote:
Has anyone here done DIY for AC filters cleaning?
My car's ac is not chilling anymore at speed 1 and 2 is too noisy to operate all the time.
Plus my scheduled service is still 2 months away.
The access is very awkward , so just get it done at some T.A.S.S.. It takes less than 20 minutes.
The "Filter"is just a net on plastic frame. It looks like a mosquito net on a frame really!
But cleaning it makes a huge difference to the AC performance in my experience.
john doe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2013, 13:03   #472
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Please check my thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by john doe View Post
The access is very awkward
thanks a lot for your help
actually i was hoping for a DIY which i found as BHPians Kollamraja and KMohanan have explained here

However, I will wait till the next trip to the service centre to get it done. Looks too tedious to my patience levels :P
Old 12th July 2013, 20:41   #473
BHPian

Quote:
thanks a lot for your help
actually i was hoping for a DIY which i found as BHPians Kollamraja and KMohanan have explained here

However, I will wait till the next trip to the service centre to get it done. Looks too tedious to my patience levels :P
I followed their DIY and could do it( and I am all thumbs), its worth doing on a lazy weekend afternoon, just to feel the blower back to its normal.

Just be careful when pulling out the filter - I had to bend it carefully to get it in between the steering column and clutch pedal.

Putting it back in is easier but we need to do it slower to allow the filter to flex. I wonder why they did not make it removable from the other side which is free of the pedals and steering column
indivic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2013, 00:33   #474
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys, Homarzd Sorabjee confirmed a 3-pot 60/80bhp Nano in the making!

I feel it'll be a 60bhp version probably with power-steering (though IMHO it doesn't need one, anyway). Come to think of it, a 60bhp Nano weighing just ~700kgs would be quite a pocket rocket! The power to weight ratio's are going to be astounding! AFAIK, it's going to be quite an amazing package given the Nano's size & the independent suspension would just make the ride better. To me atleast, cost of running was never a concern!

Dunno if they may increase fuel tank capacity or not, and maybe add disc brakes in the front. Adding ABS would be simply brilliant! Also, the Diesel Nano's engine too is completely ready, but will be launched only next year.
Old 14th July 2013, 00:58   #475
BHPian

A 60 bhp Nano! Man that could beat the Swifts and the Polos! Almost 85+ bhp/ ton! The acceleration would be impeccable, although the chassis and tyres can't handle anything above 120kmph I guess.

Last edited by aah78 : 14th July 2013 at 18:42. Reason: Language edited.
Old 14th July 2013, 07:32   #476
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
....Man that could beat the Swifts and the Polos! Almost 85+ bhp/ ton! The acceleration would be impeccable, although the chassis and tyres can't handle anything above 120kmph I guess.
AFAIK, the chassis & gearbox can definitely handle the extra power, its the tyres I'm concerned about. But I guess its nothing that can't be tweaked.

Last edited by aah78 : 14th July 2013 at 18:43. Reason: Quoted post edited.
Old 14th July 2013, 09:40   #477
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post

AFAIK, the chassis & gearbox can definitely handle the extra power, its the tyres I'm concerned about. But I guess its nothing that can't be tweaked.
Yes, TATA will definitely put bigger/better rubber on that version (if it comes out), but they would still be quite small due to body design limitations, or will TATA do some redesigning?
Any wild guesses on the pricing? :-)
Old 14th July 2013, 10:40   #478
Senior - BHPian

All that is associated with extra power is fine for a first/only car, but it does take it away from both the original concept, and the city runabout second/third car application, so I plan to go ahead with my buy once the 2013 cars are available. And with Tata cars it is better to have less than more - the less things that can fail in use. And the current design should have stabilised enough by now to be reliable enough.

I am conflicted between the new blue and the orange. What makes it worse is my preference for black trim, which isn't available in the orange. I think that black would go better with orange and beige with blue, but Tata thinks otherwise. I suppose I can add contrasting seat covers to the colour/trim I finally decide to opt for.

Last edited by Sawyer : 14th July 2013 at 10:41.
Old 14th July 2013, 10:44   #479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... will TATA do some redesigning? Any wild guesses on the pricing? :-)
Dunno. But I think all it may need is some kind of strengthening. Undoubtedly along with 85+bhp/ton it'll definitely need ABS.

Hope its positioned as a 'Smart Car' (that IMHPO it actually is), rather than a poor man's saviour. AFAIK (speculatively) ABS costs ~12K to implement at factory level, but again that depends from company to company.

Disclaimer : I'm not connected to TATA in any commercial way, except for having a Nano since ~3 yrs. This is consumer surplus talking.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 14th July 2013 at 11:06.
Old 14th July 2013, 11:19   #480
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post

AFAIK (speculatively) ABS costs ~12K to implement at factory level, but again that depends from company to company.
It will become more of a pocket rocket and hot hatch, and the "poor man's car" image will be a history. Nano is already the leader in "Bang for Buck" even with its 33bhp avataar, what will become of it with 60+ bhp I am having problems with my imagining skills. Imagine Swifts, Figos, losing their breath while catching the puny Nano, lol. Funny world it would be.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks