Old 16th October 2013, 08:13   #601
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review

Interesting report from WSJ on Nano's poor sales

Linky
Old 16th October 2013, 11:07   #602
BHPian

My brother-in-law recently bought the Nano 2013 CX version. I haven't driven it much but did around 5-6KM's late in the night with open roads. Was a pleasure to drive! The engine though didn't feel too much powerful, but considering their need for City driving I guess it is perfect. The gear shifter seemed a bit stiff for my liking, maybe after the run-in period it will ease out. Any of you had an experience (similar or otherwise) about the gear shifter?
Hope the FE is good, 16 - 18KMPL in the city should be the norm IMO. Let's see, will update.
Old 19th October 2013, 14:36   #603
Senior - BHPian

The gear shifting does take a bit getting used to. Plus the shifting lever is a bit taller than other hatches.

However the engine revs happily.
Old 19th October 2013, 18:08   #604
BHPian

Feels good to be back after a long ban.
Got a Mojito Green LX last month for wife, city use only.
The car is very well designed. Is spacious. Driving is comfortable even for a long person like me, i am 6'2". The steering is placed a bit low and comes in the way when getting in. Otherwise not an issue for short drives. Also the steering is hard when stationary, but becomes lighter on the move. However, for a car designed for city use, which may require constant gear changing, i feel a power steering is must. The car should be drivable by one hand which is not possible in the Nano.
Initially felt the brakes were weak but they don't feel so bad now, after 250kms. Better than the Alto I feel.
Got fuel tank filled twice and got average of 10kmpl second time, first time was even less. Hopefully it will improve. Am able to drive in 2nd and 3rd gear only so FE may be low.
The music system is good and easy to use. Bluetooth works. Usb is also good.
Overall very happy with the car. It's perfect for the city if they only add a power steering, cannot understand why this could not be done by TATA.
Old 19th October 2013, 18:13   #605
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesrani View Post
Got fuel tank filled twice and got average of 10kmpl second time, first time was even less.
I would be very concerned about this, more so in a Nano. Hope its not any technical issue with the car.
Old 19th October 2013, 18:16   #606
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post

I would be very concerned about this, more so in a Nano. Hope its not any technical issue with the car.
So how do i address this issue? I talked to the dealer and was told it will improve after first service. Also i am hardly able to take the car into 4th gear, very short running distances and bad roads.
Old 19th October 2013, 18:52   #607
BHPian

When my Indigo was in the workshop I had the 2012 Nano top end version as a temp car . My driver said in heavy traffic it would give an average of 12kmpl . Tata could not repair my indigo and finally getting tired of Tata . I sold off my indigo and bought 2 new cars in the last 3 months. A honda amaze Vxmt Diesel and a Swift Dzire Vdi . Honda gives me 24 kmpl on highways and 19.5 in city sparse traffic . Swift Dzire in heavy mumbai traffic shows 12kmpl .
Old 19th October 2013, 20:26   #608
BHPian

Quote:
It's perfect for the city if they only add a power steering, cannot understand why this could not be done by TATA.
The more TATA adds, the more parts that can fail (TATA's reliability!).
Personally, I will want a 'minimal' Nano for city drives.
manim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2013, 20:33   #609
Senior - BHPian

My initial FE was around 13 to 16, and after the first service it climbed up to 20s. I have rarely had the FE below 19 now. Of course I don't exactly drive in start-stop traffic.
Old 20th October 2013, 10:23   #610
mgh
BHPian

Bought the Nano CX 2012 model ( as per VIN Sep 2012) for a family member for Rs 2,08,916 on the road. It has both right and left outside rearview mirrors, as standard.
Price includes insurance for three years, AMC for 4 years or 20,000 kms (whichever is first), Road tax of Rs 28,716, dealer's handling charges + a 1 gm gold coin
Asked for accessories
1. Two glove compartments,one with lock
2. Remote locking
3. Blaupunkt music system with two speakers
4. Faux leather steering wheel cover
5. Rear Parcel tray
6. Front fog lamps.

They have ordered the last two items, and gold coins will be arriving in bulk.

As per sales person of dealer, for the 2013 model, some items not standard on the 2012 model have been made standard.

Got Faux leather seat covers from elsewhere.

The officially recommended tyre pressure is now, 26 (F) and 28 (R), with 28 (F) and 30 (R) as the maximum. With the higher values, the family member reported light enough steering from standstill, and I felt the ride to be comfortable enough on good roads. At city speeds, the car has more than enough acceleration.

The most surprising aspect of the Nano is the amount of space inside. Even 90+ year old people find it easy to get in and out from the car. Three ordinary people can squeeze into the back seat.

It is barely two weeks since we got it. More detailed impressions will come later.

Last edited by mgh : 20th October 2013 at 10:25.
mgh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2013, 11:19   #611
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgh View Post

The officially recommended tyre pressure is now, 26 (F) and 28 (R), with 28 (F) and 30 (R) as the maximum.

Please keep in mind that these are COLD air pressures. So if you have correctly inflated tyres and drive for a few KMS in the afternoon and then check your tyre pressure, you might think that these tyres are overinflated

So thumb rule while filling air when the tyres are hot( which happens within a few kms of driving), is add 2-3 PSI to the recommended COLD pressures.

CHeck this link out:
http://www.wikihow.com/Check-Air-Pressure-in-Tires

Drive safe.

Last edited by john doe : 20th October 2013 at 11:32.
Old 20th October 2013, 12:02   #612
Senior - BHPian

One of my Neighbours living down the street also picked up a 2012 model, one year down the line the car is holding up really well

One of the first things I would do if I bought a Nano would be get the same size tyres front and back, the uneven tyres somehow don't get digested by me
Old 20th October 2013, 12:53   #613
BHPian

Quote:
So how do i address this issue? I talked to the dealer and was told it will improve after first service. Also i am hardly able to take the car into 4th gear, very short running distances and bad roads.
In that case a low fuel efficiency is almost expected. My Nano is used in a similar way (short distance, hardly to 3rd gear but ok roads) & returns a FE of approx 12-13 only (with AC).
Old 24th October 2013, 12:02   #614
BHPian

I bought Hella Wiper from Indiatimes Shopping and writing here to caution others against buying it.

First of all, what they are selling in the name of Wiper for Nano is 24 inches one which is shorter than the stock wiper, (I would still use it until next monsoons and then take a call on replacing it).
Second, the MRP and Date of production label was scratched off, which is not very confidence boosting and I would refrain from buying from them again.
Third, (and I need help here) is that I am not able to fix it!
Old 24th October 2013, 12:54   #615
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
One of the first things I would do if I bought a Nano would be get the same size tyres front and back, the uneven tyres somehow don't get digested by me
That may not be a wise thing to do. They are different to serve a purpose.

Most Viewed