Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2013, 13:24   #511
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review

i didn't know there are two kinds of these numbers - what does a typical TMP look like? And is it in the law/rules that it is legal for a month, and the traffic cops will accept it if shown a tax receipt that is less than a month old?
Old 7th August 2013, 16:59   #512
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
i didn't know there are two kinds of these numbers - what does a typical TMP look like? And is it in the law/rules that it is legal for a month, and the traffic cops will accept it if shown a tax receipt that is less than a month old?
See this thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...alerships.html
Old 7th August 2013, 17:07   #513
Senior - BHPian

Thanks. Reading that, it seems that temp plates are also for a specific purpose and for other than chassis sales like trucks/buses, are valid for only 7 days.
It seems therefore that using car for mobility in the city it was bought, on temp plates is also not legal. Confirms what I thought.
Old 8th August 2013, 18:29   #514
Senior - BHPian

I took delivery of the 2013 LX Nano today.

Keeping in mind that expectations are set based on price point, impressions in random order:
1. Power steering lack not felt. Very easy drive. Maybe if I try to move the steering while stationary, but I don't subject any car to that, so no idea about that part.
2. Car feels well screwed together, copes well enough with potholes.
3. Music system sounds good. But it needs one to take eyes off the road - even to find the hard to find volume controls. BT streaming from I pod touch works well too.
4. Glove boxes look good, but are small. The concorde given folder for car papers won't fit, I will have to discard that and throw stuff in piecemeal.
5. Pick up feels tardy, but I should reserve comments till the engine opens up as it runs in.
6. Drive line noisy on overrun.
7. Brake pedal has to be pressed a long way before starting to work. I will ask Concorde service if this is a setting thing.
8. The foot well isn't cramped as such, but the clutch pedal is too much to the left, leaving less space for the left side of the left foot - I don't know whether the new console is playing a part in this, I don't remember this on the test drive car.
9. The silver bezel on the console reflects sunlight right back at the driver at certain angles of the sun to it. Quite distracting - perhaps in my case, sun film will mitigate this.
10. I didn't know the key less entry has an alarm too - not mentioned as a feature. I opened the door with the key and got a shock when the car started shouting. I guess if I lock with just the key, it should be fine when I open it with the key.
11. The front quarter glass does throw up a blind spot one has to be very aware of while turning or merging.
12. Engine is noisier than I remember. Again, will reserve judgement till it is run in fully.
13. There was a drizzle, and the wiper was more slick and effective than I thought it would be.

Overall though, I am happy with the car. One no longer has to live with compromised interiors to enjoy the good looks of the car, and its suitability as a city runabout.

Last edited by Sawyer : 8th August 2013 at 18:31.
Sawyer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th August 2013, 23:27   #515
Senior - BHPian

The pickup should improve, and noise should go down after the first service. Brakes: they need getting used to when you are moving from a disc-drum to an all drum setup. But worry not! Once you get a hang of it you will find it equally effective.
Old 9th August 2013, 05:40   #516
Senior - BHPian

That is good to know, thank you. Once the brakes engage, they are effective, it is just the longer travel before they engage is what I have to get used to, or get adjusted to.
The additional holes provided in the rear bumper seems like a good idea, to carry away more of engine heat, reducing its ingress inside the car, particularly during lower speed city use. Some sound also may be carried away, although this may be theoretical and not perceived.
I have to find out what make the audio system is, but the sound quality is impressive. With rear speakers neatly implemented, it fills the car well.
Old 9th August 2013, 11:12   #517
Senior - BHPian

When I fitted the music system in my Nano - post purchase, as an accessory from the same TaMo dealer - he gave me a Sony unit. There were no choices available, and the button layout on the head is horrible, considering the other ergonomic blunders in the Nano.
Old 9th August 2013, 11:17   #518
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Sawyer. Please do post some pictures of the car. What color did you buy?
Old 9th August 2013, 11:28   #519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishbull_6157 View Post
From inside the car. Regards
Also, they take out the panel below the rear glass (undo 4 nuts and it comes off), giving easy access to engine.
Old 9th August 2013, 11:46   #520
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
the button layout on the head is horrible, considering the other ergonomic blunders in the Nano.
The new unit is integrated into the dash, looks good, but ergonomic issues remain. The volume buttons are small, much below the eyeline, and in a bouncy car, for the driver to try to adjust volume is an invitation to an accident. Best let the passenger do this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Congratulations Sawyer. Please do post some pictures of the car. What color did you buy?
Dazzle Blue - the only LX that has my preference in internal trims - black. There are plenty of pics of the blue car on the net, is there any particular thing about the car you want to see, I will be happy to post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-nav View Post
Also, they take out the panel below the rear glass (undo 4 nuts and it comes off), giving easy access to engine.
Yes, but the service tech has to sit inside the car for engine attention - not a nice thought! Hopefully that part of the car doesn't need more than a once in a year look.
Old 9th August 2013, 12:03   #521
Senior - BHPian

I was searching for the mandatory headlamp level setting control, when my son pointed out what it says on the website under features for all variants - to the effect that it is done via innovative suspension design, automatically. Scratching my head at that - how exactly can this be achieved? Any one can shed a light? When the car sits at the rear because of load, the front has to rise, so how can the lights remain at the same level? High end cars have auto levelling headlamps, but I am sure that isn't how the Nano does this, it would be too expensive.
Old 9th August 2013, 12:26   #522
BHPian

Quote:
is there any particular thing about the car you want to see, I will be happy to post
Congrats and wish you happy miles with your car!
could you post some pics of the HU and the speakers placement?
Old 9th August 2013, 15:39   #523
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was searching for the mandatory headlamp level setting control, when my son pointed out what it says on the website under features for all variants - to the effect that it is done via innovative suspension design, automatically.
No idea. It's been touted since the launch of the Nano, and it's surprising the Nano got away without a headlamp leveling mechanism. I hear it's made compulsory.

The headlights do seem better than other hatches. Do upgrade the bulbs to Philips xVision 55/60 or Osram Nightbreakers 55/60. Keeping the wattage same as the OE, these bulbs should give you another 30% to 50% light.
Old 9th August 2013, 16:39   #524
BHPian

I believe that headlights are just fine for the task of driving within city limits or on decent highways. I haven't tried any more that that. In fact, in the city, I just switch on my parking lights and the front fog lights, and its just perfect! Oncoming traffic never gets harsh lights in their eyes, and my visibility to others is perfect.

About the leveling mechanism, the adjustment is done by hand inside the bonnet. In other words , you have to adjust some screws/bolts in the housing of the headlights. I read it in this very forum. Again I really believe that the Nano headlights are perfect for what the car is meant for and in my case, rarely switched on.
Old 9th August 2013, 17:10   #525
Senior - BHPian

Audio system images below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by john doe View Post
In fact, in the city, I just switch on my parking lights and the front fog lights, and its just perfect! Oncoming traffic never gets harsh lights in their eyes, and my visibility to others is perfect.

About the leveling mechanism, the adjustment is done by hand inside the bonnet. In other words , you have to adjust some screws/bolts in the housing of the headlights. I read it in this very forum. Again I really believe that the Nano headlights are perfect for what the car is meant for and in my case, rarely switched on.
Sensible, the first part. I remember a time in Mumbai when all drivers used just the parking lights while driving at night, and the headlamp flash then served the purpose a horn does today, at night. Long gone, those days. No reason why it shouldn't work in Pune.

As to the levelling mechanism, I think the way all cars have it, is required by CMVR rules, to be easily user adjustable. That is why all makers give it, being forced to - even my 2009 Gypsy has it!

I don't know how the Nano has gotten away with this, as it seems to have.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-dsc_3796.jpg  

Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-dsc_3797.jpg  

Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-dsc_3798.jpg  

Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-dsc_3799.jpg  

Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-dsc_3800.jpg  

Last edited by Eddy : 9th August 2013 at 22:24. Reason: Merged
Sawyer is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks