Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2013, 23:07   #586
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCUS_520i View Post
Good evening everyone!

I saw a nano with a slightly different badging than usual. It was at the rear next to the LHS tail lamps and read "TCS Special".

Anyone knows about the 'speciality' of this one?
There was an offer made in mid 2011 specially for TCS employees. In addition to easy finance options, the offer included
1) Left ovrm
2) Alloy wheels
3) Ratan Tata signature on the speedo console PLUS a generous 25000 discount.

It was good value for money. I think they managed to sell 1000 + cars as part of this campaign.
Vishbull_6157 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2013, 00:38   #587
BHPian

Re: Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishbull_6157 View Post
There was an offer made in mid 2011 specially for TCS employees. In addition to easy finance options, the offer included
1) Left ovrm
2) Alloy wheels
3) Ratan Tata signature on the speedo console PLUS a generous 25000 discount.

It was good value for money. I think they managed to sell 1000 + cars as part of this campaign.
Yes, I did notice the LHS ORVM and the alloys.
A 25K rupee discount on an already low priced car is fab! *Of course, the ones benefiting would only be Tata employees, but still
Old 23rd August 2013, 08:42   #588
BHPian

Guys, how much does the transition to synthetic fuel for Nano cost and which is the recommended oil?
Also does this change make a difference in terms of fuel efficiency, output, engine life etc?

edit: is it ok to change to synthetic if the car ran on regular oil for the previous two years?

Last edited by avingodb : 23rd August 2013 at 08:46.
Old 23rd August 2013, 10:29   #589
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avingodb View Post
Guys, how much does the transition to synthetic fuel for Nano cost and which is the recommended oil?
Also does this change make a difference in terms of fuel efficiency, output, engine life etc?

edit: is it ok to change to synthetic if the car ran on regular oil for the previous two years?
Dear Avingodb,

IMO, synthetic oil in Nano is not necessary and moreover, will increase the cost of ownership of the car. I don't see the small engine benefiting too much due to the use of synthetic oils as the refinement level in the 2 pot engine is not among the best.
The Castrol edge, fully synthetic costs around 800-900 bucks for a litre. Castrol Magnatec, which is not fully synthetic but a good engine oil will cost about 1200/- for a 4 litre pack. IMO, its a better take to use it on your car, but DO check the specs. Follow the drain interval given in the manual.

What spec engine oil does the Nano takes, btw?

I have been using Castrol Magnatec in my car for last 10 years and needless to say, fully satisfied with it.

Regards,
Saket
Old 23rd August 2013, 10:49   #590
BHPian

the addition of power steering and improving interiors is a welcome addition, as is the repositioning of the brand as city car.

I hope they introduce the megapixel version in india.
Old 23rd August 2013, 11:21   #591
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post

IMO, synthetic oil in Nano is not necessary and moreover, will increase the cost of ownership of the car. Castrol Magnatec, which is not fully synthetic but a good engine oil will cost about 1200/- for a 4 litre pack. IMO, its a better take to use it on your car, but DO check the specs. Follow the drain interval given in the manual.
For normal Indian road use, a good mineral oil that meets/exceeds the automaker grade spec is perfectly adequate for any car, along with the change as recommended. You just want to be sure it isn't spurious.
Synthetic oil is an expensive overkill for the application - although if some car makes specify its use, best follow their recommendation.
Semi synth is pure marketing, doesn't mean anything.
For many years I have used Magnatec - a good mineral oil - too, supplying the service station with it. Now I don't bother, I am content with the oil that the authorised service station uses, and use the money saved on other things that matter more. And no hassle running around buying oil and carrying it along for service. I do ensure change of oil/filter as recommended.
I was pleasantly surprised at DSK Toyota for my petrol car - the SA said we have both kinds of Toyota branded oils, but mineral is perfectly adequate. Most places would up sell, so this approach was nice to see.
PS: One problem I foresee with the Nano is checking oil levels. Even for cars with 6 monthly changes, I check the oil level once in between, and always before an intercity run.
With the annual - for my running - recommended change in the Nano, doing this every three months is going to be a pain, since there isn't easy access to the oil level.

Last edited by Sawyer : 23rd August 2013 at 11:37. Reason: PS
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 01:49   #592
BHPian

An amazing Nano ( identical colour as mine) overtook me on S.Bapat rd. last month. I had to take some quick photos!

As any Maharashtrian will tell you freely, the spelling is exactly how our accent pronounces the words "Spacious, Get, and Seat" :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-wp_000589.jpg  

Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-wp_000585.jpg  

Last edited by john doe : 16th September 2013 at 01:51.
john doe is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th September 2013, 19:38   #593
BHPian

Nano unvieled as New Delhi Police PCR van at security expo.

Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-photo_205a7c8f861f21f08452554049f613e0.jpg
Image source
SandyX is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2013, 20:32   #594
Senior - BHPian

For those of you concerned about the location of the Nano battery might interested to know that the Porsche Cayenne VW-Touareg also locate their 12V battery inside the cabin

Pic Source: Google Search
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-touareg-underseat-battery.jpg  

Last edited by Mpower : 8th October 2013 at 21:38.
Mpower is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2013, 17:00   #595
BHPian

Tata Nano CNG has been launched, here are the specifications which I got from Tata Motors Website.

Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-tata_nano_cng.gif

Source: http://www.tatamotors.com/media/pdf/...a-nano-CNG.pdf
teemus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2013, 10:23   #596
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyX View Post
Nano unvieled as New Delhi Police PCR van at security expo
right news but the picture you attached is from the Mumbai Police fleet Nano.
Here is the right picture; courtesy Zigwheels.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-tatananodelhipolicevehicle560x420_560x420.jpg  

avingodb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2013, 08:47   #597
Distinguished - BHPian

A friend (not on TBHP) is planning to buy the 2013 Nano. I've a few questions regarding the Nano:
  • In Bangalore, what mileage are users getting, for a commute at 10 am and 8 pm through the city?
  • The fuel level indicator uses an LCD - how many bars are there and how many bars do you let it go down to before filling up? Is there any reserve available when there are no bars shown? I know that letting it go too low is not smart for FI engines, but given the small 15L tank, I also don't want to keep visiting the fuel station too often.
  • On a non-fuel note, what is the opinion of lady drivers steering the Nano in traffic & parking - is the absence of power steering a large handicap? My friend very occasionally drives a Grande Punto, so that steering weightage is the benchmark.

BTW, I had a very impressive TD of this car on Saturday, it doesn't feel like just a 600cc 2-cyl at all. Colour me impressed.
Old 15th October 2013, 09:04   #598
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
A friend (not on TBHP) is planning to buy the 2013 Nano. I've a few questions regarding the Nano:BTW, I had a very impressive TD of this car on Saturday, it doesn't feel like just a 600cc 2-cyl at all. Colour me impressed.
I am not from Bangalore but I normally get 15-16 kmpl with AC ON in city. I have not managed to get mileage higher than 16 kmpl in city. On highways, I get 20-22 Kmpl.

The digital bar type fuel level indicators are not the best when it comes to accuracy. I prefer analog type fuel level indicators since we can better interpret the amount of fuel present. I have ran out of fuel (the last time it happened was last night) more than 5 times credit goes to fuel level indicator. Never trust it, fill up as soon as the bars disappear on the LCD.

The steering is not a problem, steering at speeds is a breeze. Yes, when the car is at stop, there is more effort required to steer.
mercedised is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2013, 12:51   #599
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
  • what mileage are users getting
  • how many bars do you let it go down to before filling up?
  • what is the opinion of lady drivers steering the Nano in traffic & parking
  • Avg. mileage has been 14 kmpl with intermittent AC in bangalore. Decent mileage considering that the 4th gear is hardly engaged during the commute.
  • Driven about 5 kms on the last bar. Do no recommend to wait that long. Note - when starting from an incline, the fuel indication fluctuates. Shows higher or lower than actual depending on whether it was parked down or up hill but settles after ~200 meters.
  • My wife uses the Nano primarily. Steering is a issue only when starting from tightly parked spaces. Once started, it is a breeze to drive, easy to park. High seating position helps a lot. Complains about thick 'A' pillars - have to watch out at intersections. Clutch gets hard but improves temporarily after service - need to get used to this.
ashw_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2013, 18:13   #600
Senior - BHPian

The mileage you'll are getting is low. I get atleast ~18-20 (w/o A/c) in city with my '10 Nano. Did you use the tankful-to-tankful method to check mileage? If it still gives the same numbers, contact the company and get it checked.

Fuel indicators Bars : I let it go till the E has been flashing for a few kms. Highway mileage depends on how you drive it. I've got 24-25kmpl while driving 80-90kmph.

Lady drivers generally won't find it very tough to steer at traffic speeds, the issue is only at standstill.

Most importantly, I believe the Nano is a very reliable car. Not because of its crashworthyness, but also due to its simplicity in engineering. It goes up comfortably in inclines due to the RWD, the independent suspension actually works out well and all this while being quite feature rich at almost 2/3rd the price of the Alto!

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 15th October 2013 at 18:29.
GrammarNazi is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks