Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2014, 11:33   #4276
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Hi Guys,

I see, there are good amount of benefits associated with joining the "Gang"
Is there a fee- that we have to pay to join? One time / subscription or anything?

I see the joining link is here on the site:
http://www.renault.co.in/gangofduste...n-the-gang.php

Also, there are benefits in referring others!
So, if someone doesn't mind getting those benefits, would someone be kind enough to refer me?

Thanks,

Ace.
Old 7th August 2014, 13:57   #4277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
+1 to TSK's point about FWD.
With it's better traction, the 2WD FWD would actually fare better than a 2WD RWD.
Hello Condor,
Forgive the slight delay in my reply - I'm on board on OSV at the moment in the K-G basin of the Bay of Bengal & am unfortunately dependent (for my private communications) on my dongle for the fragile link with the net!

Re. my bias towards 4WD/AWD for SUVs, I'll repeat an observation I have made earlier on this forum. I came across two instances of FWDers (a City and an Ikon, both fully laden) in difficulties on an incline with loose gravel under the wheels, which were scrabbling for grip & gradually sinking. This happened on the same spot (somewhere en route Almora to Mukteshwar, if I remember right), the spot being off the main road, but still motorable, tho' the surface was not metaled. A tow-rope was used, and pulling in tandem, we got out of the spot without much trouble.

The whole point about this gospel that a FWD has better traction than RWD may hold true on level tarmac, with the engine weight on the front wheels. With SUVs on the other hand, the temptation to veer off the road is strong. On a decent incline (anything more than 1:4), with a fully laden car, the weight shifts aft of the front axle drive-line and if the surface is loose gravel or kaccha (as is common there) then the possibility of breaking/losing traction is good. And the longer the wheelbase (approaching 2.5 meters or more & overall length greater than 4 meters) the greater the risk.

With RWD/AWD, the contrary holds true - with vehicle weight shifting aft there is greater load on the driven wheels (RWD) and traction improves. And if you have a LSD or some other form of traction control, still better.

I love my Hyundai Getz, but use it mostly within the city limits. I wouldn't think of taking it to the hills. For those trips I stick to my Scorpio. It hasn't let me down yet, apart from one memorable occasion in knee deep mud, but that's another story !
shashanka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2014, 14:49   #4278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
+1 to TSK's point about FWD.
With it's better traction, the 2WD FWD would actually fare better than a 2WD RWD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post

The whole point about this gospel that a FWD has better traction than RWD may hold true on level tarmac, with the engine weight on the front wheels. With SUVs on the other hand, the temptation to veer off the road is strong. On a decent incline (anything more than 1:4), with a fully laden car, the weight shifts aft of the front axle drive-line and if the surface is loose gravel or kaccha (as is common there) then the possibility of breaking/losing traction is good. And the longer the wheelbase (approaching 2.5 meters or more & overall length greater than 4 meters) the greater the risk.

With RWD/AWD, the contrary holds true - with vehicle weight shifting aft there is greater load on the driven wheels (RWD) and traction improves. And if you have a LSD or some other form of traction control, still better.
Both the respected members are correct. FWD does have better traction but that's limited to slush and snow. With the load of the engine directly on the front wheels of a FWD, the car does not fish tail like a RWD under such conditions. But in case of an incline, a RWD surely has more advantages over a FWD during a climb. But if its an incline with a U-turn (without loose gravel), I somehow have a feeling the FWD power distributions on the front wheels has a slight advantage. Since this is a thread on the FWD Duster itself, I have taken it to the steepest roads you might never come across (Sandakphu route) just to test how it fares. Link.

Last edited by himadrimondal : 7th August 2014 at 14:58.
Old 7th August 2014, 18:07   #4279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post
Hi Guys,

I see, there are good amount of benefits associated with joining the "Gang"
Is there a fee- that we have to pay to join? One time / subscription or anything?

I see the joining link is here on the site:
http://www.renault.co.in/gangofduste...n-the-gang.php

Also, there are benefits in referring others!
So, if someone doesn't mind getting those benefits, would someone be kind enough to refer me?

Thanks,

Ace.

Not much, only some discounts on accessories ,one free wash etc .
But joining is free.

Its been 3 months,I am yet to get my discount cards.I am fed up contacting renault customer care.Its useless.
anilntny is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2014, 17:14   #4280
BHPian

Going off topic...

Uploading some picts of my newly done art leather upholstery along with arm rest.
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster : Official Review-imag0017.jpg  

Renault Duster : Official Review-imag0020.jpg  

Renault Duster : Official Review-imag0018.jpg  

deepeshh is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th August 2014, 18:33   #4281
BHPian

Prior to road trip coming week Blore-Pondy-Nagore-Velankanni-Tiruvaroor-Coimbatore-Bangalore wanted
to have a general check up at Whitefield Renault. Called and found there was Free monsoon checkup going
on. So went there y day morning after speaking to Tyagu the service advisor the previous evening. In about
1 hour waiting the filters were checked and cleaned, brakes checked, the wind screen solution topped up,
oil levels checked...

As it was free check up, it was fine.

I would have missed this as I did not get any email, SMS informing of this. I found at least another Duster
Owner in my apt complex had received an email :( Who do we request that we do not miss out such Free
Camps? Btw I learnt that general check up like the one done now costs Rs700. I did write to their service
Manager requesting that he should add my name to mailing list.

Cheers
Old 9th August 2014, 20:00   #4282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepeshh View Post
art leather upholstery along with arm rest.
For how much? It seems you have done extra padding for the thigh support.
Old 9th August 2014, 20:22   #4283
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
Not sure about art leather. Since my was the 85 PS (O), it came with fabric seats. I got Karlsson then and the seating became quite firm. The earlier fabric was not to my liking, as it did not provide me with a firm seating position. Karlsson leather turned out to be good. This is thanks to thick leather. Its been about 2 years since then.
Old 9th August 2014, 20:28   #4284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
the seating became quite firm.
I was talking about the extra thigh support in the first pic. and the pattern is slightly different from the normal duster cutting templates.
Old 10th August 2014, 06:26   #4285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himadrimondal View Post
Both the respected members are correct. FWD does have better traction but that's limited to slush and snow. With the load of the engine directly on the front wheels of a FWD, the car does not fish tail like a RWD under such conditions. But in case of an incline, a RWD surely has more advantages over a FWD during a climb. But if its an incline with a U-turn (without loose gravel), I somehow have a feeling the FWD power distributions on the front wheels has a slight advantage. Since this is a thread on the FWD Duster itself, I have taken it to the steepest roads you might never come across (Sandakphu route) just to test how it fares. Link.
Hi Himadri !,
Long time no see, no hear ! My fault I guess, I'm not a regular on the forum !
But coming back to the issue, I guess you're right - I haven't driven the Duster yet, let alone taking it Sandakphu, and your practical experience is worth any amount of pontificating ! So, how was your experience - did you at any time feel the lack of RWD/AWD ?
Over the years I have done my share of soft-roading & the occasional bit of off-roading & I still believe that, taken by and large, I'll stick to RWD/AWD !
Old 10th August 2014, 10:38   #4286
BHPian

Has anyone fixed arm rest in a Duster with a rear air con blower? Is it possible to do it? Is there a particular make/source such an arm rest can be bought? Can a picture be shared so that I get an idea how it can be done? Thanks and cheers
Old 10th August 2014, 11:10   #4287
BHPian

Quote:
Yes CMS I went for extra padding and the total cost after heavy bargaining is 14K. Apart from the aesthetics I felt an increase in the seat height as the art leather and padding add to the thickness. Now I feel seated in a more elevated position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxeloquent View Post
Has anyone fixed arm rest in a Duster with a rear air con blower? Is it possible to do it? Is there a particular make/source such an arm rest can be bought? Can a picture be shared so that I get an idea how it can be done? Thanks and cheers
I doubt whether fixing it will be possible and even if you manage, it would be of practically no use as the distance between the gear lever and the arm rest will be very minimal and you may find it almost impossible to freely engage the gears.

Well, I am sharing my opinion based on the commonly available armrest in the market. Not sure any specially made ones are available for Dusters with rear AC vent.
deepeshh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th August 2014, 19:52   #4288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepeshh View Post
after heavy bargaining is 14K.
Is the extra padding done using the soft foam (used for seat covers) or the high density foam as the seat foam? Also what material is used for cover, PU / faux leather / PVC or something else? I am yet to do the seat cover eventhough I paid the adv of 4K at imperial leathers ~1.5 month back, not getting time to do it, probably I will be going there this week.

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 10th August 2014 at 19:56.
Old 10th August 2014, 22:43   #4289
BHPian

Its time for emission test for my Duster. My usual place guy told me he can not do it for Diesel cars.
I did not know that the equipment is different.

I request fellow Duster owners from Bangalore (close to old airport) suggest some place
Old 11th August 2014, 12:30   #4290
BHPian

Quote:
Is the extra padding done using the soft foam (used for seat covers) or the high density foam as the seat foam? Also what material is used for cover, PU / faux leather / PVC or something else? I am yet to do the seat cover eventhough I paid the adv of 4K at imperial leathers ~1.5 month back, not getting time to do it, probably I will be going there this week.
The material used is PU leather and the extra padding is done by using high density foam and a thin layer of soft foam on top. I saw them inserting small copper rods(Which was shaped as hook on one side) on either ends for support along with small pieces of flooring material for support ( the one which is used to cover the interior floor) to keep the extra padding shape intact.

I went for PU leather as I am aware of its durability from my previous vehicles. Original leather is way too expensive and out of my reach.
deepeshh is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks