Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2014, 23:25   #4186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Driven through heavy bumper to bumper traffic in towns too.
Frankly, didn't feel any big issues with turbo lag from 109.
That is why you guys are called veterans, mastered the art of driving and adapt to different driving conditions with ease.
Old 14th July 2014, 08:00   #4187
J.Ravi

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
The distance on the odometer will be more accurate. The road distance on navigation maps are based on calculations of plain lines. The terrain is not known to the maps in most cases.
If so, the distance shown by the odometer [356.5 km] should be more than that of the navigator [361 km] which is not the case, atleast in my MMI navigator. Moreover, the odometer calculates the distance based on the number of revolutions of the tyre, which again depends upon the wear and tear/upsizing/downsizing of the tyre.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 14th July 2014 at 08:09.

Old 14th July 2014, 10:59   #4188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
If so, the distance shown by the odometer [356.5 km] should be more than that of the navigator [361 km] which is not the case, atleast in my MMI navigator. Moreover, the odometer calculates the distance based on the number of revolutions of the tyre, which again depends upon the wear and tear/upsizing/downsizing of the tyre.
Thats an error of 1.2% on the whole. I'd they it is near perfect for both of you. The map and the car
Milestones along the road would show better accuracy as they are marked by calibrated devices, which people actually walked those distances. With road widening, these are not found in many stretches now a days.

Tyre wear should show more Km covered because the tyre needs to rotate more for the same distance. A larger tyre, if upgraded will show lesser Kms on the Odo.

No navigation map in India shows accurate distances. They are accurate only within known towns and cities. You might notice the car driving through plain air (google) or showing dotted lines (MMI) in place of regular roads. These are nothing but the roads that are off the actual track. Not to say the Navigation system is not misbehaving in some places because it cant get a proper lock on your location.

Last edited by HillMan : 14th July 2014 at 11:13.
Old 14th July 2014, 14:41   #4189

Nice overall review and comparison .

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepeshh View Post
The 85ps is definitely not under powered as rightly mentioned my GTO in his official review. <snipped> Well the 85ps will definitely not please the enthusiasts who drive above 100-120 Km/hr range. I was able to hold speeds at 80-90 KM/hr between 2000-2300 rpm and beyond that the engine definitely gets more vocal and starts to show strain.
Somehow that does not add up for me.
An SUV engine( the 85 variant) which does not seem comfortable at speeds > 80-90 Km/hr seems underpowered to me . Considering that, some of the hatch-backs perform fine at speeds higher than 100 or 110.
Old 14th July 2014, 16:42   #4190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagendra_11 View Post
An SUV engine( the 85 variant) which does not seem comfortable at speeds > 80-90 Km/hr seems underpowered to me . Considering that, some of the hatch-backs perform fine at speeds higher than 100 or 110.

Nagendra, I think its unfair to say that. Its precisely why Ranault has two state of tunes 85 & 110 to cater to the different requirements of customers. Personally I am pretty satisfied with the 85's performance. I guess the 85 is well suited for a person upgrading from a sedan to an SUV. Its gives him the SUV presence and feel and in the mean time drives like a Sedan with the economy of a Sedan as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Meanwhile I hope you updated the media controller firmware. Its a patch that solves the infamous echo problem while speaking.
Ampere could you pl throw some more light on this. Will the service center get this done?

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Last edited by Technocrat : 14th July 2014 at 21:48. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
Old 14th July 2014, 17:07   #4191
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Ampere could you pl throw some more light on this. Will the service center get this done?
Yes, the service centre would get this done. They connect their PC/Laptop through the OBD port and update the firmware. I used to have lots of echo issues. But after the update the problem got resolved.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2014, 17:45   #4192
BHPian

Quote:
I just completed a 1200 Km drive in my recently acquired 85ps Duster which has done an overall mileage of 4K. Having owned and driven a Ford icon 1.6 (P), Indica DLS, Honda City IDSI, Optra Magnum and a Vento Diesel, here are my view on the 85ps Duster.

The 85ps is definitely not under powered as rightly mentioned my GTO in his official review.

Overall I am very satisfied with my decision to go with the 85ps as it serves my style of driving. The road presence that you enjoy with this car is definitely notches above from a sedan owner.
I fully support your views ,as I too am from Kerala and got an 85 ps model.

The only thing I differ is the fact about wind noise.Wind noise becomes obvious once you start cruising at steady speed around 80 km/hr. I think thicker glass would have helped here.

Quote:
Nice overall review and comparison .

I wish to make a correction here ,

GTO never said 85 ps is underpowered , in fact GTO has mentioned twice ,specifically that its NOT underpowered. Actually I went through official review few times,since I was really ripped between 85 bhp or 109 bhp doubtThe price difference between 85 bhp RXL plus and 109 bhp RXL is just 30000 Rs.
I also did test drives of both ,and it all depends on once driving style and road scenario. So I went for 85 bhp and am fully satisfied.

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Last edited by Technocrat : 14th July 2014 at 21:55. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
Old 14th July 2014, 18:18   #4193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilntny View Post
I fully support your views ,as I too am from Kerala and got an 85 ps model.

The only thing I differ is the fact about wind noise.Wind noise becomes obvious once you start cruising at steady speed around 80 km/hr. I think thicker glass would have helped here.
Thanks anilntny,

May be I couldn't detect wind noise as music was on most of the time .

One other point which I feel could improve is the brake feel. Yes, no doubt the brake bite is good and more than sufficient, but the initial feedback that you get from the pedal is not very inspiring. It has a spongy feel and due to this you tend to overdo the brake during emergencies and create a panic scenario for the other occupants.

I also wish that the ORVM were a bit more wider and could have given better view.
Old 14th July 2014, 21:38   #4194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeshmani View Post
I updated the software but i don't see an update in map version. Could you please check and let me know what is the map version shown on your media nav.
Will check and let you know in a couple of weeks. I know that's a long wait; however I'm on a business trip. IIRC the map version is 2013 Q4 and software 4.04.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifoso View Post
... I couldn't find the MediaNav toolbox download for Mac. The site only lists the details for 'Windows'.
I've not heard about the mac version of MediaNav Toolbox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
In my opinion roof rails add character. Does not make sense to remove them. But then its all about personal opinions and tastes.
True. Looked as if the car just had a haircut.
Old 15th July 2014, 01:51   #4195
BHPian

Any offer on Duster these days? They seem to have ready stock -- planning to pick up 85 RXL+, and are saying the 9.99L ex showroom is only till July 15, which is today. No further discounts. On road is ~11.5 in Pune.

Anyone getting any offers/ better deals anywhere else? A quick reply would be great!!

Last edited by determinus : 15th July 2014 at 01:52.
Old 15th July 2014, 10:57   #4196

Quote:

I wish to make a correction here ,

GTO never said 85 ps is underpowered , in fact GTO has mentioned twice ,specifically that its NOT underpowered.
anilntny,

I think you misunderstood my quote . I was not saying that GTO or deepeshh referred to 85 ps being underpowered.
It is just 'my' personal opinion that 85 ps seems underpowered( since it does not seem to be handling speeds more than 80-90 well enough. )
Old 15th July 2014, 12:06   #4197
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It is just 'my' personal opinion that 85 ps seems underpowered( since it does not seem to be handling speeds more than 80-90 well enough
You can consistently do 110-120 with Duster 85. But what I meant was, it does not have the top end reserves to go further and you can feel the grunt of the engine. 100 seems like a sweeter spot.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2014, 14:27   #4198
BHPian

Solution for wind noise.

Since there was some discussion recently, about wind noise creeping in to dusters cabin,I listened for the same at around 80 km/hr today.But none was there! It was there few days back.Its gone now!

Later I figured out the solution was the wind deflector /door visor I installed.No wonder Renault has named the part as "wind deflector" .
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster : Official Review-dsc_00132.jpg  

Last edited by anilntny : 15th July 2014 at 14:31.
anilntny is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2014, 14:32   #4199
BHPian

Quote:
Solution for wind noise.

Since there was some discussion about wind noise creeping in to dusters cabin,I listened for the same at around 80 km/hr .But none was there.It was there few days back.

Later I figured out the solution was the wind deflector /door visor I installed.No wonder Renault has named the part as "wind deflector" .
I have them in my car and that could be the reason I too couldn't make out any wind noise. So does that mean wind deflectors or rain guards, whatever its called as is the solution?
Old 15th July 2014, 14:35   #4200
BHPian

Quote:
Solution for wind noise.

Since there was some discussion recently, about wind noise creeping in to dusters cabin,I listened for the same at around 80 km/hr today.But none was there! It was there few days back.Its gone now!

Interesting! Anyone tried fixing these? What does it cost? I had read earlier posts on replacing the stock beading with customized one as a solution. Any good experience in Bangalore, cost?
Will much appreciate inputs. Thanks.

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks