Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2014, 22:05   #4141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by terra85 View Post
Hi guys have just booked a Terrano 85 want to know if any of the Duster owners have gone for the extra seat and if so how useful is it to seat adults.
I wouldn't recommend it. Not at all for highways. There is no safety out there and A/C isn't sufficient to keep them comfortable.

It's OK to seat kids for short distance joy rides.
Old 6th July 2014, 08:23   #4142
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Few updates done to my duster ,

1. Added some splash to the uninspiring interiors of our beloved duster with some 3M car wraps with carbon fiber pattern.

I did the application myself,as 3M films have custom air channels and is very easy to apply if you have proper tools like an applicator and hot air gun.Please see the results .

2. Ripped of cheap vinyl wraps from B pillars.Applied 3M wraps.As already told,working with 3M wraps is FUN if you have the right tools.Its stretchable to certain extent on heating.

3. Ripped off aftermarket rain guard or wind deflector ,atleast thats what Renault has named the part,with genuine Renault accessory .Aftermarket product was flimsy and had very poor adhesive material.Cost was 1500 Rs. genuine one cost me 2950 Rs.

Detailed application instruction comes in box,so I was able to do the instal perfectly.

4.Added carbon fiber wraps to front crash guard at 3M car care Kochi. Cost 3800 Rs.
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster : Official Review-dsc03789.jpg  

Renault Duster : Official Review-dsc03798.jpg  

Renault Duster : Official Review-dsc03784.jpg  

Renault Duster : Official Review-dsc03795.jpg  

Renault Duster : Official Review-dsc_00132.jpg  

Renault Duster : Official Review-dsc_00142.jpg  

Renault Duster : Official Review-dsc03791.jpg  

Renault Duster : Official Review-dsc03794.jpg  

Last edited by anilntny : 6th July 2014 at 08:25.
anilntny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2014, 10:33   #4143
BHPian

Blackened front grill ,instead of full black,I have kept a central strip of chrome.
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster : Official Review-dsc03802.jpg  

Renault Duster : Official Review-dsc03806.jpg  

anilntny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2014, 21:13   #4144
BHPian

Duster without RoofRails

For those who haven't seen a Duster sans the roof rails.

Found this Duster parked in my office premises. It has wraps installed on the hood and roof panel. I wanted to ask the owner if there's any reduction in the wind noise. However I couldn't meet up with him, despite waiting for half an hour near the car.

Renault Duster : Official Review-dusterworoofrails.jpg
Old 7th July 2014, 10:09   #4145
BHPian

Has anyone tried alternative firmwares for MediaNav?

I found a few videos where people have changed the firmware, for what:
- adding reverse camera
- video playback from pen-drive
- extended/alternate maps

This is one such software I found:
http://www.menavrus.com/features/

Here is a video an user of this software has put on youtube:

I wanna know if someone has done this and if its a safe alternative.
sumeshmani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2014, 16:05   #4146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeshmani View Post
I wanna know if someone has done this and if its a safe alternative.
My policy; If it ain't broke, don't fix it

http://www.menavrus.com/user-guide/
Quote:
WARNING: Menavrus is still in beta. Although most functionalities work perfectly, using Menavrus is at your own risk. In case you don’t know what you are doing, you can brick your system. Use Total Commander with care, as it has full access to the system, and of course always back up!
All such firmwares are always "Install at your own risk only". The warning at Menavrus site says a lot about it.

When ever you upgrade a firmware;

If it is a rewrite of the original firmware, there could be less chance of recovery later. Menavrus is an overwrite to replace the original firmware.

If it is a patch to override to unlock certain features, then you can give a second thought. This is not the case with this firmware.

There will never be a firmware that can do as good as the original.
If a feature is left out, it would be for a purpose. It depends on the hardware capabilities/limitation.

Dont fall for the video format capabilities. Even if the Medianav can read the format, is the hardware good enough to support a smooth playback?

Playing high def videos also need good processing prowess.

Last edited by HillMan : 7th July 2014 at 16:06.
HillMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2014, 16:17   #4147
BHPian

Quick query : 10 days back I was getting the air checked in my MRF tyres and the guy noted that the rear tyre had a 1" wide metal wedge(patti) inserted in it. There was low pressure (20psi)in this tyre as compared to the other ones.

Now, my question is:
Can this type of a 1"-wide puncture be fixed with the normal tubeless repair? since those rubber strands are barely 0.5cms in thickness...
What do I do about this now?
I am sure by this time the metal part would have gone into the tyre itself
Old 7th July 2014, 16:47   #4148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
Now, my question is:
Can this type of a 1"-wide puncture be fixed with the normal tubeless repair? since those rubber strands are barely 0.5cms in thickness...
What do I do about this now?
I am sure by this time the metal part would have gone into the tyre itself
Tubeless repair kit won't help. It is good for nail puncture alone. Not even for the tyre side walls.

Only option is to get it fixed from the inside. Use it as an emergency spare. Horizontal cuts can cause crack to open up further during usage and can be risky.
HillMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2014, 09:15   #4149
BHPian

Thanks Hillman! I suspected as much- though hate to see a <20K old tyre being pushed to "spare" duties.

Any other ideas anyone ?
Old 8th July 2014, 12:24   #4150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
Thanks Hillman! I suspected as much- though hate to see a <20K old tyre being pushed to "spare" duties.

Any other ideas anyone ?
Well, if you are not a tearaway driver, you can use it with a tube for the rest of its design life.
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2014, 13:22   #4151
Team-BHP Support

Re: Duster without RoofRails

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjosephjacob View Post
For those who haven't seen a Duster sans the roof rails.
In my opinion roof rails add character. Does not make sense to remove them. But then its all about personal opinions and tastes.
Old 8th July 2014, 22:50   #4152

Quote:
Originally Posted by terra85 View Post
Hi guys have just booked a Terrano 85 want to know if any of the Duster owners have gone for the extra seat and if so how useful is it to seat adults.
I have it in my Duster. ( didnt have to pay for it. was a freebie. ).
This seat can be easily folded, when not in use. This way, it does not eat into the boot .

I agree that it is not suitable for long rides.
But I find it pretty useful for city drives and even for distances less than 100 Km. It can easily seat a petite adult too, not just a kid.

It all depends on the need to have that 6th seat . If the need is pretty often, it definitely comes in handy. And besides, you get that feel good factor of having an extra seat in your car.
Old 8th July 2014, 23:35   #4153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagendra_11 View Post
I have it in my Duster. ( didnt have to pay for it. was a freebie. ).
This seat can be easily folded, when not in use. This way, it does not eat into the boot .

I agree that it is not suitable for long rides.
But I find it pretty useful for city drives and even for distances less than 100 Km. It can easily seat a petite adult too, not just a kid.

It all depends on the need to have that 6th seat . If the need is pretty often, it definitely comes in handy. And besides, you get that feel good factor of having an extra seat in your car.
Hi Nagendra,
When did you buy your Duster and from which dealer in Bangalore ? I was recently exploring Duster but was not offered the free jump seat - hence wanted to know. Thanks in advance.
Old 9th July 2014, 00:52   #4154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranav_mankad View Post
Hi Nagendra,
When did you buy your Duster and from which dealer in Bangalore ? I was recently exploring Duster but was not offered the free jump seat - hence wanted to know. Thanks in advance.
When I bought my duster last year from Trident Renault, Mahadevpura, they were offering the jump seat and I even saw at the back of one of the car when I took the delivery of my car, you can probably check with them.
Old 9th July 2014, 09:59   #4155

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranav_mankad View Post
Hi Nagendra,
I bought my car in Trident, Mahadevapura, Bangalore, 2 months back. The sales guy goofed up the price during quotation( He gave a lesser quote by mistake.) Later when we went for the booking, he told he had made a mistake and that the price was a little higher than he initially quoted. So as a bargain, we asked for that seat and he promptly agreed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks