Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2017, 08:15   #5626
Senior - BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

A quick question :

Has any one tried retro fitting the Lodgy 2nd row a/c on a Duster? Can you share your experiences /cost etc if you have?

The thinking is that since both cars share the platform and what seems to be a lot of sheet metal it should be possible for a good interior guy to do a good job even if it is not a drop-in fit.

Thoughts / opinions?

Last edited by sridhu : 26th July 2017 at 08:17.
Old 26th July 2017, 10:39   #5627
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Congrats on the car! Looks like you are all set for the road.
Thanks @ampere

Quote:
This is definitely good. The first generation Duster has pretty weak AC. We need to push it way high to get good cooling for the cabin. Looks like this has been fixed? Or do you still experience the unit putting in more effort even for mildly warm scenarios?
Yes, Renault has definitely worked on the AC bit. I am normally on ECO mode most of the time, especially during highway runs. And in ECO mode, the performance of AC is lowered a bit is what Renault says. But to be honest, even on ECO mode, I always find it very effective.

Quote:
How is the audio quality? Again for Gen-1 it was nothing worth talking about. I got it changed within a week of getting the car.
I am not an audiophile, so for me the audio quality is not bad. But I have to admit that, at higher volumes, there is a bit of vibrations coming from the speakers.

Quote:
Very true. You stay at just about triple digits on the highway and the car works wonders for you. Beyond that the engine strains and so does your FE.
True. During my recent trip from Bangalore - Alleppey, I was using Cruise Control most of the time @ 110 and it was just sailing without any issues. And the FE at the end of the trip was 18 KMPL (tank-to-tank).

Quote:
If you dont do too much rough roads (I dont mean Bangalore roads! ) next change of tyres you can try Micheline Latitude. A softer tyre but definitely gets the tyre noise down. Wind noise will persist. I could feel this change.
That's the tyre I will be looking for during my next change.
Repsol is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2017, 20:42   #5628
BHPian

Hi Bhpians,

I need an urgent advice on a Petrol Duster. Is it worth buying a pre owned 2014 petrol duster. Has the engine changed now for petrol dusters? How about the parts? If in case I end up buying. I am confused between an Eco boost and a petrol duster that would be worth picking up?

I already paid a token to confirm the petrol Duster done about 39k RxL, interior needs a desperate cleaning and Tyres not that great would last 5k more. But started researching and found that the engine is now updated to 1.5L. If the parts for petrol 1.6 aren't an issue I don't mind but don't want to end up hard-earned money in drain if it is a changed engine and later I loose all my money.
Old 30th July 2017, 21:40   #5629
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster2 View Post
Hi Bhpians,

I need an urgent advice on a Petrol Duster.
How much you are planning to shell out for this vehicle? The new Duster Petrol 1.5 RxL manual is available at OTR 11.06 lakhs in Hyderabad and CVT one lakh more as per cardekho.
sandeepmdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2017, 14:52   #5630
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repsol View Post
My first car was a Hyundai Santro Xing 2009, bought on 29-Nov-2009, and has served me well for 8 years and 97K kms. And I really loved it due to fact that it was my first vehicle, and also has never ever let me down. Though I have always been particular about getting it serviced regularly at H.A.S.S.
Congrats for your new car.. you have described it in apt words.. I own the same model for past 11 months and have recently completed my 2nd free servicing for 10,500 kms; Have driven it on long drives on good aswell as rough roads and it has come out quite well.. have no complaints so far (keeping my fingers crossed while I say this ). Am getting fuel efficiency between 15 to 17 in city conditions..
STraiTDriVE is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2017, 21:22   #5631
BANNED

Hello
Have booked a Duster AWD and waiting for it since past 10 days but in the mean while lunch of Jeep Compass at such lucrative price is alluring and forcing my mind to rethink. I certainly can't afford the 4x4 limited model but may be the base sports model with additional 2lakhs. Am totally confused now. Most of my friends suggesting to go for Compass base model by cancelling the Duster AWD.

I some how still find Duster more appealing then Compass as far as features are concerned. I don't believe in procuring a vehicle just for the sake of its brand. I am looking for a vehicle that has good GC which I believe Duster (210mm) has but jeep people say the Compass GC (178mm) is after loading so the actual GC of Compass is more. This is so confusing, if it's more then how much more? Does GC of Duster AWD will go down below 178mm when loaded?

The other issue is I wouldn't get 4x4 but have to live with 2x4 if I go for Compass that too after pay some additional 2 lakhs. I wouldn't get cruise control, navigation or other frills I would get in Duster.

What I find most lucrative in Compass is the 2l engine that give 175+ PS. The question is do this extra power is worth compensating the features of a Duster ADW? Please guide.

Just to let you know about my requirements
1. I drive for 70 to 90 kms every day on all kinds of road. At times in place where road may not be there at all.

2. By profession am in architect and a nature photographer. I mostly shoot wildlife and nature. So a powerful vehicle with good GC is a must. A 4x4 is certainly luxurious.

3. My budget is 15-17 lakhs. Am not looking for a fancy vehicle that will burn my pocket afterwards in maintenance.

Kindly help in making a decision.

Kindly advise
Old 3rd August 2017, 23:33   #5632
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaktinanda View Post
Kindly help in making a decision.
Kindly advise
With your sort of driving I thing you are very much dependent on your car to get around. Going off road for a bit of photography and travelling to sites for your work would need a good ground clearance too.

Here is my opinion considering just the two vehicles you mentioned.

Jeep Compass:
+Solid build
+2.0 Engine + Manual Gearbox
+Brand new Launch, will age well

-Unknown Maintenance Cost (service, fuel and insurance)
-Out of reach 4x4
-Below par level of equipment
-stiffer ride (based on initial reports)

Duster AWD:
+Benchmark Ride Quality and Fuss Free performance
+AWD
+Known maintenance costs

-Newer model (<2 years)
-Poor Resale

FCA have really surprised us with the pricing but they have to prove themselves by providing reasonably priced after sales services. That is what will give the product a true VFM status as in the course of wining the vehicle with your sort of usage the difference of 2-3 rs.km of upkeep cost would mean a difference of 2-3 Lac rupees in a time frame of 3 years.

Other Points:
* You will learn that cruise control on our roads is quite a show off sort of feature. Its good to have but not a necessity.

* I wouldn't fret much about the laden GC of the Duster, the underbody is well protected and very flat. Have never scraped the two dusters we own in a combined running of 1.7 Lac kms and we have done fully laden trips on kuchcha roads as well.

* Friends will say stuff and pump you up since they wont have to deal with the maintenance and upkeep of the vehicle after its bought.

* I would give the Compass at least two years in the market before even considering it as a replacement for the Duster. On paper it looks good. But Jeep has no past track record in terms of anything (reliability, build quality, parts availability, after sales support etc.) in India.

* The last 2.0L Diesel I have driven was the Cruz and its fuel economy never bettered the figure of 12 kmpl. In comparison, the 1.5L Duster engine will be more frugal.

*Take a Test Drive if possible in the time frame.
Tgo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2017, 00:21   #5633
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
Benchmark Ride Quality and Fuss Free performance

This is spot on. Thank you so much. I leaned towards DUSTER AWD more and would wait for its delivery.

After study of specifications and reviews Compass, I believe, Jeep has only worked upon selling its brand name at an affordable price in India then making an affordable feature rich vehicle.

Thank you so much

Last edited by ampere : 4th August 2017 at 04:50. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 4th August 2017, 09:49   #5634
BHPian

Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
This is spot on. Thank you so much. I leaned towards DUSTER AWD more and would wait for its delivery.

After study of specifications and reviews Compass, I believe, Jeep has only worked upon selling its brand name at an affordable price in India then making an affordable feature rich vehicle.

Thank you so much

Believe me. I got mine Duster AWD RXZ Adventure edition last week. And it's worth. I also thought when compass came. I was already feeling regret. But once I got to know about the features and base sport model is petrol ,which is in our range. I had a grin on my face for having Duster AWD. More over it was a December 2016 model so got it for awesome 14.86L on road in Bangalore. So no regrets at all.

Just wait for the Duster AWD and enjoy its ride.

Just work on the headlights once you get the car. They are not good at all. And for you driving requirements you need better lighting.

----
Giri

Last edited by girishar : 4th August 2017 at 09:52.
Old 4th August 2017, 12:15   #5635
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishar View Post
Believe me. I got mine Duster AWD RXZ Adventure edition last week. And it's worth. I also thought when compass came.
========
Just work on the headlights once you get the car. They are not good at all. And for you driving requirements you need better lighting.

----
Giri

Thank you so much sir. Even I was looking for that adventure edition but unfortunately it's not their anymore. Am going for Compass TD today but don't think anything is their in Compass that can distract my mind now from having and AWD
Old 4th August 2017, 12:19   #5636
BHPian

I have an AWD bought in December 2015 and have driven 33000 km. It is a fantastic vehicle and I love the drive. I have scraped the bottom on a rock during a bit of off roading, but the underbody was so well protected that only some scratches remain. The power delivery even in 6th gear (only used outside Kerala) is phenomenal so overtaking is a breeze. Good roads, bad roads and even no roads are no problem. The mileage is also decent.Owners of AWD do not sell their vehicles unless there is some compelling reason. The service centers are fairly good and well distributed. So you will do well to stick with the AWD. The only let down is in the interiors, which once you are on the road, who cares!
Old 4th August 2017, 13:21   #5637
BHPian

Dears, I need a suggestion/reference to install an In-Dash DVD/GPS unit in my Terrano. Any place around Bengaluru south would help. I want to be careful as it requires skin-out of original wires, drilling hole etc. I will check with Nissan service center also.

Got this unit from US through my friend, it has a rear view cam as well. Do you suggest to make a hole on rear bumper OR mount it on the number plate? I heard it will be difficult to review during rain if installed on bumper, but some say view is not great from number place. Please suggest the right location.
Old 5th August 2017, 14:46   #5638
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Even I was looking for that adventure edition but unfortunately it's not their anymore.
Don't worry. Adventure edition or not, your car will have the same core capabilities.

The way I see special editions is.. just imagine the time when you have to replace some special edition part (gold side skirt/bash plate), youll have to wait for it to be in stock, otherwise will have to go through the headache of paint matching it.

Enjoy your bare bones (stock) car. Enjoy the drives.
Tgo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2017, 12:20   #5639
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
Don't worry. Adventure edition or not, your car will have the same core capabilities.

Yes that's certainly true. Anything special you want turns out to be a headache later. By the way just to update about my booking status of AWD at door steps is getting stretched day by day. Today the guys from renault called up to inform that they can't deliver before 20th of this month. The delay is just pinching my brain and it's diverting me to think about Compass, Hexa etc.

Last edited by ampere : 6th August 2017 at 20:08. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 6th August 2017, 13:54   #5640
BANNED

URGENT Advice Needed, Please Help

Renault dealer here has a 'Outback Bronze' colour 2016 (later half) model AWD which they have been using as demo vehicle. It has covered some 40k kilometres. They are offering me this vehicle for 10.80 lakhs as they are not in a position to deliver a new ADW before 20th of this month. Is this a good deal? I will save around 5 lakhs but the Odometer will show 40K. As this is a demo vehicle and yet to be registered under RTO, I will be the 1st owner of the vehicle. Is this proposal worth considering? Or it's worth wait for two weeks? Please advise.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks