Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2017, 21:14   #5656
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
A bit of an update. Had waited for quite long with the worn out key fob to change it.
Silly question - how do you get to the screws ?

I got myself a flexible silicone fob cover from Amazon when I bought the Duster. It does an amazing job of protecting the fob underneath. It is as good as new after 3 years !
Old 14th August 2017, 06:43   #5657
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveTrain View Post
Silly question - how do you get to the screws ?

I got myself a flexible silicone fob cover from Amazon when I bought the Duster. It does an amazing job of protecting the fob underneath. It is as good as new after 3 years !
There is just one screw at the back and its easily accessible. I mean, you can't miss, it is the only thing at the back to look at. Easily opened with a Philips head even though its a Pozidrive screw head.

I did think of those silicone covers but did not want to increase the thickness. I also think the Silicone cover makes it grip a lot more than the original plastic. Wanted it to be easy to slide in and out of my pocket and not pull out my pocket lining with it when retrieving the key from it.
Old 9th September 2017, 21:24   #5658
BHPian

Well, you guys can also consider the foldable key available in ali express. Costs just about 4 dollars. (The key filing took another 200 rupees tough).
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster : Official Review-img_20170909_211738.jpg  

Renault Duster : Official Review-img_20170909_211721.jpg  

Last edited by nettooran : 9th September 2017 at 21:25.
nettooran is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th September 2017, 09:54   #5659
BHPian

Hi Bhpians,

I just picked a pre-owned duster. It was tough decision to let go a petrol 1.5 titanium Ecosport for this cute 85ps diesel Duster. What made me think was when I sell later how many would be intrested in going for used Ecosport that is fuel guzzler ( Of course the trip meter shows it gives 9km/ltr in Bangalore traffic though interiors look more superior and of course features rich). But I use the car more than the small features like key less entry and alloys so I could compromise. Loved the ground clearance n torque for Bangalore stop n go traffic and unmatched driving comfort in its segment, we have an Innova and this has similar comfort with its suspension.

Need help in getting some accessories in Bangalore I love the chrome handles and chrome rim on the fog? Similar to the pic attached. Also any clue where I can get 4d high gloss carbon fibre wrap done for mirrors?

Any suggestions what would go best with grey colour car heard about Imperial leather in Bangalore want to get new clothes for the car :-).

As always thanks for all the advices provided by fellow bhpians.
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster : Official Review-img20170920wa0001.jpg  

Last edited by monster2 : 20th September 2017 at 10:02. Reason: Added a better image
monster2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2017, 18:24   #5660
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster2 View Post
Hi Bhpians,

I just picked a pre-owned duster. It was tough decision to let go a petrol 1.5 titanium Ecosport for this cute 85ps diesel Duster.
Hello, Congrats on your purchase & all the best, please share your experiences here. If you don't mind could you please share the Duster's model details(year,mileage) and the price that you've bought for? Also, isn't the clutch very hard for city usage?

Last edited by jetsetgo08 : 20th September 2017 at 18:26.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2017, 14:59   #5661
Senior - BHPian

Update: my brakes failed catastrophically on Friday despite regular maintenance & I am upset by Renault/ Dealer's nonchalant response to it.

Basically, I was parking the Duster in the basement garage & the brakes just went limp. The rear LHS drum cylinder gasket had failed and all the brake fluid just dumped on the floor. Luckily, I was able to stop the car from hitting the Crysta parked already. I got the car out of the garage & parked with a bit of trouble as I did not want the Crysta blocked.

I called Renault Roadside Assistance & got the car towed to the Silk Board Trident Renault dealership on Saturday

Since I had taken the 80k - 4 year extended warranty, the car was towed at the company's expense. The service manager there, Santosh, assured me that he will take care of it. He called me back & told me that the problem was with the drum cylinder and also assured me that it would be fixed under warranty. The car was fixed by Monday and I went to pick it up

So far so good. I was quite happy with the dealer's approach & responsiveness.

What I am upset about is how come the brake failed when I had serviced the car promptly according to the recommended service intervals. Something as fundamental as brakes have no business failing when the car has been serviced.

This is basic issue. The SA compounded my frustration with his answers & evasion:

- When I asked him the same question, he said the rubber gasket in the drum cylinder fails in 40k kms. I asked him why then it was not replaced, he callously said "There was no complaint and hence we did not replace it." He also claimed that there is no way to check that part of the brake system without a tear down. I have replaced the front brake pads twice and the rotors once until now. In all that time, I am shocked that they could not check this.

- There was no answer forthcoming when I asked why it was not replaced for 35k kms after its design life.Note that they had never suggested that the cylinder was up for replacement in the 75k I have driven it.

- Even now, only one cylinder has been replaced. The RHS cyclinder is stock.

- I asked for a report on what failed in the brake system as is my right. He said there is no report & refused to give it. When I pressed, he said he will ask his supervisor & revert, thereby increasing my frustration.

- I asked for a report on what failed in the brake system as is my right. He said there is no report & refused to give it. When I pressed, he said he will ask his supervisor & revert, thereby increasing my frustration.

- He asked me to pay 500. When I asked him why I should pay for a warranty repair, he said only parts are covered and labour is not. When I refused to pay, he came back with "It is for the clutch bleeding, sir" (I had asked for the clutch to be checked). I told him that I believed that he was lying and asked him if the clutch was fine. He replied that it is fine. I paid the amount

- 2 months & 2000 km ago, I had sent the car to the same service centre because the clutch pedal went limp & started working after I pumped it a few times. At that time the SA (Different person) told me that the entire clutch & the master cylinder has to be replaced for around 30k. Now, this guy is telling me the clutch is fine. I believe he has swindled me of the money and not checked the clutch at all. The clutch is 75k km old & due for replacement.

- They do not have the drum brake shoes in stock & have given back the car to me with the same old shoes saying "it will run another 1500-2000 km. We will call you once we get the parts in stock". I am grateful to them for turning it around but am not entirely sure that it was the safe thing to do.

I called the Roadside Assistance number and have made a formal complaint to Renault ( a person called Hema called me back). I am not sure what action will be taken. No one has either apologized to me for the failure nor does anybody seem to understand what a close shave it was.

Net result, I have lost confidence in the car & the way Renault specifies it be maintained. I was just lucky that the brake failed when I was at low speed & when I had the presence of mind to handle it. Just 30 minutes earlier the entire family had gone visiting relatives & I get nightmares thinking what would have happened if the brakes had failed at that time.

I will probably sell the car & go back to either Maruti or Honda.

Last edited by sridhu : 26th September 2017 at 15:17.
sridhu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th September 2017, 15:57   #5662
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
Update: my brakes failed catastrophically on Friday despite regular maintenance & I am upset by Renault/ Dealer's nonchalant response to it.

I will probably sell the car & go back to either Maruti or Honda.
Not acceptable at all. Please don't base your judgement on a dealership workshop's behavior. Escalate the issue to the company.

https://www.renault.co.in/customer-care/contact-me.html

On Renault web-site

"You can call us on our toll free number 1-800-300-44444 or SMS "RENAULT" to 53030 or even write to us at customer@renault.com"
Moto$apien is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2017, 16:04   #5663
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto$apien View Post

"You can call us on our toll free number 1-800-300-44444 or SMS "RENAULT" to 53030 or even write to us at customer@renault.com"
I have mailed customer@... with a link to my Team-BHP post. The person who called also gave me a complaint #; so I think it has been registered.

I am not really sure what the resolution for this would be.
Old 27th September 2017, 13:46   #5664
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What I gather from your post is that the root cause of your problem started when the adviser said that the part is bound to fail at 40K - (said by him because he thought would be happy to know that the part lasted beyond its cooked up designed life as in your case.

You latched onto that and he started giving real reasons as the gasket/o-ring is an integrated part and its better to replace the cylinder altogether. Actually its a repairable job but at dealership level OEMs provide option of replacing the cylinder as a whole to reduce time and the technical know how of doing the job.

Another place where he's right is by saying that the clutch bleeding was done. Even though he might have done bleeding of the system, he would have no clue whether it is going to fail in the next 2000 km. Bleeding is a process where only air is removed from the hydraulic system (clutch circuit). A difference would be felt only if there was air in the system before bleeding.

All said and done. Customer satisfaction is very hard to find if one is technically oriented because they never connect to you at that level. People doing the job and those taking the jobs and supervising them are poles apart. They very rarely have time to explain things to you. Made worsedue to the spawning of Kwids in the Indian market.
Tgo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2017, 22:13   #5665
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What I gather from your post is that the root cause of your problem started when the adviser said that the part is bound to fail at 40K
Actually, my problem is that the brake failed on a regularly maintained car. In my opinion, it should not happen. The explanation that it is a "wear & tear part" is specious; if so, they should either inspect it regularly or replace it on a schedule. It cannot be run until it fails.

I am increasingly coming to the conclusion that I am in a minority on this one!

Quote:
Another place where he's right is by saying that the clutch bleeding was done. Even though he might have done bleeding of the system, he would have no clue whether it is going to fail in the next 2000 km. Bleeding is a process where only air is removed from the hydraulic system (clutch circuit). A difference would be felt only if there was air in the system before bleeding.
Fair enough. But I had asked them to "check the clutch" not bleed it. Actually, since the same ASC had advised me to change the clutch, I would have expected it to be on file somewhere.

But I appreciate your taking the time & effort to make me see it from another point of view. Feel a lot less frustrated now.

Still selling the car, though!
Old 28th September 2017, 09:45   #5666
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The person who called also gave me a complaint #; so I think it has been registered.

I am not really sure what the resolution for this would be.
You would have got a call from Laukik Rane, Renault are well aware of the poor braking issue in Duster. They have just ignored it as many owners are happy to live with the problem. I would advise you to take the car to Renault service center in Hosur rather than wasting your time in Trident.
Old 29th September 2017, 18:25   #5667
BHPian

Quote:
Update: my brakes failed catastrophically on Friday despite regular
Shocking! Of this is a common failure it's an accident waiting to happen! I'll check with my fng. I'm scared to do triple digits on my duster now!
Old 29th September 2017, 22:26   #5668
BHPian

Quote:
Scary experience. Very unfortunate. One can only imagine about consequences had it happened during a road journey. Renault should admit this case as that of reliability failure and take necessary remedial measures. Also they should not be shy of replacing faulty parts without any charge. More than anyone else, it would benefit Renault at the end.

I hope it turns out to be a one off incident rather than a common flaw as far as Dusters are concerned. I am not sure as to how many such instances are reported on this forum. Senior members may throw some light on it.

I too own a Duster AWD that is just 9 months old. So far didn't come across any such issue. Nevertheless I find the brakes a bit lacking in feel. Now, after learning about this incident, I would be a bit jittery while driving at high speeds.

Regarding service experience (at least at Renault Nagpur) I can safely say that it is way below par. Their SAs are overburdened, clueless chaps with hardly any technical knowledge about the cars they are working for. They don't have ability to satisfy the customers for their queries and keep on giving illogical reasons for a particular problem. In several cases owners are better equipped with car related info than the SAs.

Mod Note: Please avoid quoting the entire post when responding

Last edited by ampere : 29th September 2017 at 23:51. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
agt7 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st October 2017, 16:51   #5669
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
You would have got a call from Laukik Rane,
If i'm not wrong Laukik is the person working with BMW dealer in Mumbai and did a check on GTO's pre-worshiped 530d before it came home.

Have heard good about him. Would like you to pursue it with him rather than selling the car and suffer huge depreciation.
Tgo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2017, 19:32   #5670
Senior - BHPian

Update:

Just in case I missed it the first time, the brakes on my Duster failed AGAIN!

Three days after the car was picked up after the catastrophic brake failure had been fixed, I found the brake pedal absolutely dead & the brake light glowing. The car was largely unused in this period - may be one 5-10km drive. No brake fluid leakage was noticed by me but the SA had to put in close to 400ml (1.5 bottles of Elf Dot 4) of brake fluid as a first step.

I called the Roadside Assistance & Santosh at Silk Board. Santosh sent a mechanic, Jaga, home immediately. Jaga looked at the shoes and figured out that the shoes were completely gone & needed replacement.

Kudos to the responsiveness of the ASC, the manager & Jaga himself. It was the day of the Ayudh pooja and everybody was off. Jaga worked for more than 4 hours (I was there) on the car and did 3-4 test drives before he juggaded a set of brake shoes. The sincerity has to be appreciated - his focus was to get me back on my feet with a reasonably working car.

Now I have brought the car home and parked it in the garage. Dont intend to use it until I get the replacement shoes. I will also get the other cylinder replaced, just for luck.

I am convinced that the original failure & the 2nd one were caused because of worn brake shoes extending the brake cylinder beyond design parameters.

I am unable to convince Renault that the failure is due to a failure in their process. All they did with the earlier complaint was to get Santosh to 'clarify' the issue to me. My problem has not been with Santosh or the Silk Board ASC; he has been reasonably responsive and merely happened to be unlucky enough to be the last one to take care of the car when the brakes failed.

There has to be a check that Renault institutes that makes the service engineers take off the wheels and physically check the cylinders for imminent failure. May be as part of the 40k or 50k service.

I urge Duster owners to try & get the ASC to check both the brake cylinders in their presence when the car hits 40 or 50k.
sridhu is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks