Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2017, 12:54   #5671
Senior - BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
If i'm not wrong Laukik is the person working with BMW dealer in Mumbai and did a check on GTO's pre-worshiped 530d before it came home.
Yes, he is the same guy. I spoke to him a couple of times over the phone when I was escalating issues to Renault in my Duster in 2016. Somehow I am not convinced about the capability of their after sales representative in Karnataka.
Old 3rd October 2017, 13:18   #5672
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
Update:
I urge Duster owners to try & get the ASC to check both the brake cylinders in their presence when the car hits 40 or 50k.
I asked my fng mech and he said there's no reason for a brake master cylinder to fail so soon. He said it would work for 200k km or more. Is this for the rear? Coz I've changed the front brake pads twice and when I asked about the rear drums he said they need to replace the brake shoes only when the rear brakes feel weak and would easily last 150k to 200k km. He suggested to change the front brake rotors at 150k kms. My car has already done 112k kms. Brake bite has been consistent but get a harsh screething sound everytime I apply it. Haven't bothered about it till date but guess will have to double check it. Sad to see the brakes fail even after regular maintenance.
Any inputs from higher mileage car owners should be valuable to others. Any 200k +owners in the forum please?
mh09ad5578 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2017, 13:37   #5673
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh09ad5578 View Post
Any inputs from higher mileage car owners should be valuable to others. Any 200k +owners in the forum please?
No brake failure or any brake circuit related component failure yet (Nov 2012 @ 1,15,000 km). The do brake cleaning in which they open up the brake drum and remove brake dust. They should definitely check the pads when they do this.
Tgo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2017, 15:27   #5674
BHPian

We had plans of a four day drive to Hampi from Trivandrum, but our Duster AWD had other plans. The Duster and us parted company in Renault Salem. Here is the story at this link http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...review-50.html
SajiNSalin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2017, 16:10   #5675
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SajiNSalin View Post
The Duster and us parted company in Renault Salem.
There is a disagreement amongst owners between pre-facelift and post-facelift version of Duster. In another thread on Terrano, an owner faced issues with low-quality parts which I had first written about on this thread in 2016.
Old 3rd October 2017, 16:32   #5676
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I asked my fng mech and he said there's no reason for a brake master cylinder to fail so soon. He said it would work for 200k km or more.
The SA at Silk Board was talking about 40k.

Quote:
Is this for the rear? Coz I've changed the front brake pads twice and when I asked about the rear drums he said they need to replace the brake shoes only when the rear brakes feel weak and would easily last 150k to 200k km.
Yes, It is the rear brake cylinder/ shoe. 150k-200k for drum shoe seems a bit much. I would seriously doubt it lasts that long. I have replaced the front brake pads twice and the rotor once.

I suspect, strongly, that the rear brake cylinders should have been inspected when the pads were replaced and Renault does not specify this check in their repair process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
No brake failure or any brake circuit related component failure yet (Nov 2012 @ 1,15,000 km). The do brake cleaning in which they open up the brake drum and remove brake dust. They should definitely check the pads when they do this.
I guess that they should but dont really do it!
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2017, 20:47   #5677
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Update: my brakes failed catastrophically on Friday despite regular maintenance & I am upset by Renault/ Dealer's nonchalant response to it.
Luckily, I was able to stop the car from hitting the Crysta parked already.
Quote:
Update:

Just in case I missed it the first time, the brakes on my Duster failed AGAIN!
Brakes are supposed to be failsafe. Would like your observation on that aspect.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2017, 22:26   #5678
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Brakes are supposed to be failsafe. Would like your observation on that aspect.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta

Are you asking me? My entire issue with Renault is that - "how did the brakes fail when the car has been maintained as per their schedule" .

So yeah, I do feel that the brakes should never have failed
Old 4th October 2017, 12:36   #5679
BHPian

I have been facing an issue with the time shown in the MID off late. The time changes automatically by itself even after correcting it couple of times. Another problem which has cropped up is with the Media unit. The Radio stations are showing erratic displays while the RDS is on and one Channel name keeps flashing in all the columns even though other channels are tuned in and saved.

My stock battery is nearing its end as its showing signs of delayed crank and at times fail to start on the first attempt. While speaking to the SA, he is of the opinion that the trouble of the time change and FM display is due to weak battery.

Could the forum members help me with their views. I am planning for a batter change and have shortlisted Amaron, Bosch and Exide. Pl advise which is the best among the trio for my 2013 model 85ps.
Old 4th October 2017, 17:30   #5680
BHPian

I had used Amaron previously for the M800 and Dzire. Both have been sold off to buy the Duster AWD. I found the Amaron very reliable. The current Duster battery is Exide, which has been trouble free so far. No idea about the Bosch. I guess I will change to Amaron when I have to change the current battery.

Your battery has lasted close to four years, which is very good. It is better to change the battery than face all the issues with a very old battery.
SajiNSalin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 20:56   #5681
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sutripta

Are you asking me?
Wanted to know whether all braking was lost, or you still had some braking. If all braking was lost due to a single point failure at the wheel, then there is a design fail of epic proportions. And calls into question Renault's technical/ production/ quality control competence in general.

Who are the suppliers of brake components to Renault India? A new component manufacturer? Because even in cars deemed unreliable by reputation, brake failure does not come up.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 21:05   #5682
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wanted to know whether all braking was lost, or you still had some braking....
Now I understand your question.

The first time, the brakes failed completely. The second time there was some braking - about 2mm. The Renault mechanic drove the car, slowly, from home to the ASC.

Renault seems to have closed the case - no calls or mails. I have sent them the link to my first report on the brake failure in this thread.

This lackadaisical attitude is what gets to me.
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 21:13   #5683
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The first time, the brakes failed completely.
This needs investigation. Please follow up. (Or forward this post to Crazy Driver).

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2017, 06:07   #5684
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This needs investigation. Please follow up. (Or forward this post to Crazy Driver).

Regards
Sutripta

What is crazy driver, Sutripta?

Renault is pretty cool about it.
Old 5th October 2017, 06:46   #5685
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What is crazy driver, Sutripta?

Renault is pretty cool about it.
He is a fellow bhpian, see what he has done in 3 days to expose Renault for promoting Captur with misleading ads. Check the link

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-customer.html
deehunk is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks