Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2016, 21:04   #5521
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by divyankar View Post
I have two options for you, if you are in budget then go for Osaram night breakers or Philips xtreme vision130%, for both high and low beams.Its a plug n play set up no relays are required.
Hi Divyankar,

Thanks for your suggestion. It really helped.

Went to a near by auto shop and inquired about these two brands. He showed me two options I.e. OSRAM extreme night breaker unlimited (110%) and Philips Extreme vision 130%. Philips was costing bit less compared to OSRAM and the guy suggested me to go for OSRAM as they seems to be pioneer in the car lighting system.

So ended up buying both the bulbs of OSRAM brand and it came around 3600. Did a small test drive today evening and found the lights to be more brighter and white compared to the stock ones. Now fingers crossed for the night drives on highways

Last edited by ampere : 29th December 2016 at 06:52. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
SNayak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2016, 17:27   #5522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNayak View Post
Went to a near by auto shop and inquired about these two brands. He showed me two options I.e. OSRAM extreme night breaker unlimited (110%) and Philips Extreme vision 130%. Philips was costing bit less compared to OSRAM and the guy suggested me to go for OSRAM as they seems to be pioneer in the car lighting system.
Hi,

Glad to know that. I am also using OSRAM in my high beams. Down the line you can think of going with projector set up, that will cost you around 25k. And only consider genuine brands like Morimoto or Genome although Chinese projectors are cheaper but they are not that effective.

Last edited by ampere : 29th December 2016 at 06:28. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 19th December 2016, 18:17   #5523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by artrocious View Post
Do you have a DIY on how its done?
Also note, now it works intermittently.
Its simple. Just pull the horn cover on the steering wheel like you would the back cover of your mobile phone. Inside, the mechanism is very simple. Check for loose connections and put the cover back. Dont worry nothing will fall off, there are no moving parts in there that will come off.

Do not put oil, grease or anything inside.

Renault Duster : Official Review-dusterhornassembly.jpg

Last edited by HillMan : 19th December 2016 at 18:40.
Old 20th December 2016, 13:29   #5524
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
I am also using OSRAM in my high beams.
d
Hi Divyankar,

Which OSRAM highbeams are you running currently, please. Night-Breakers or Silverstar 2.0 ?

Is there a noticeable difference between the two.?

Happy to hear your inputs.

Duster AWD newbie here and hence some basic queries.
Old 21st December 2016, 19:30   #5525
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRShrikanth View Post
Which OSRAM highbeams are you running currently, please. Night-Breakers or Silverstar 2.0 ?
Mine are Osram Night Breaker Unlimited. My friend got those for me from US.
Light throw is much better from stocks, and i don't have any comparison idea between silverstar and Night breakers.
Are you happy with your new setup?

Last edited by ampere : 29th December 2016 at 06:27. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 22nd December 2016, 07:02   #5526
Distinguished - BHPian

@divyanker:
Wondering if bulbs meant for US traffic pattern would throw correct beam for Indian traffic system. The dip would light up only right side of the road whilst in India it should the left side.

See attached screen grabs from two YouTube videos. One from UK and one from Germany (perhaps?). ON dip beam the "flare" on left of road is clear in the first and similar "flare" on the right side in the second.. This extra illumination is due to tiny metal plate built near the filament that stops the light on the right side (in first picture) thus preventing blindness to oncoming traffic while allowing extra light from dip filament to illuminate the "left" bank allowing better vision for any obstacles on that side.
Name:  Screen Shot 20161222 at 6.50.28 AM.png
Views: 4748
Size:  102.3 KB

In case of bulbs made for right hand traffic (US/Germany etc.) suitability in India is a problem and many people end up driving with high beams. Many also buy such products from Dubai etc. where similar traffic system is used.
Name:  Screen Shot 20161222 at 6.52.18 AM.png
Views: 4774
Size:  95.3 KB

If you have tom import then look up Singapore, UK, Australia, Japan etc. fr sourcing.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2016, 11:57   #5527
BHPian

Quote:
Are you happy with your new setup?
My stock set-up is to be changed right out of the delivery workshop and hence my query. I am convinced that the stock set-up n absolutely inadequate for my 4500km highway run.

But I shall duly keep you informed on the LED bulb upgrade, once am on the road.
Old 24th December 2016, 19:07   #5528
BHPian

My Sandisk OTG USB 3.0 does not play in my Duster and is not even recognized; any idea how to make it work? Thanks.
Old 24th December 2016, 21:08   #5529
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
@divyanker:
Wondering if bulbs meant for US traffic pattern would throw correct beam for Indian traffic system. The dip would light up only right side of the road whilst in India it should the left side.

If you have tom import then look up Singapore, UK, Australia, Japan etc. fr sourcing.
It is not the bulbs, actually its the Headlight assembly or rather the position of the bulb holders I guess that differ in RHD and LHD cars. It is mentioned as such in posts where people have imported entire HL assemblies from abroad to fit on their cars.
Old 27th December 2016, 08:00   #5530
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
It is not the bulbs, actually its the Headlight assembly or rather the position of the bulb holders I guess that differ in RHD and LHD cars. It is mentioned as such in posts where people have imported entire HL assemblies from abroad to fit on their cars.
Not only.

The reflector and lens provide additional - and desirable - refraction. The basic bulb itself has "low beam" filament that is "cupped" by a metal plate to throw light only in the direction and patterns needed for LHD or RHD lane driving.

The low beam filament is slightly ahead of focal point of the reflector and hence achieves a non linear light throw. Virtually half of this is cut off by the built in metal plate. See screenshot below:
Name:  Screen Shot 20161227 at 7.54.54 AM.png
Views: 4225
Size:  141.5 KB

The main beam filament is the one in centre. The low beam filament is one of top wth metal cup on one side. In use the cup would be towards the bottom of mounted filament.

Yes modern HID etc. also use similar cut plates to achieve similar results but are more complex.

Last edited by sudev : 27th December 2016 at 08:02.
Old 27th December 2016, 21:03   #5531
Senior - BHPian

Trident has opened a new Service center in Indiranagar, it is located on 9th Cross, Kodihalli Road near Ayyappa temple. I had a pleasant experience with the service team here, my Duster which was sold 2 weeks ago had oil leakage, the owner sought my help. I spoke to the Service Manager Mr Satish and took the vehicle around 1.30pm. When we opened the bonnet, oil had spilled all over inside and cap was missing on the engine block. The team immediately checked the oil level, I would say that it was a fluke that sufficient oil was still present inside. They did not have a spare cap and got one from KR Puram service center and topped up the oil. I was speaking to the team till the job was completed, they are really good. This should be good news for people not satisfied with other service centers in Bangalore. Earlier this used to be a Chevrolet Service center.
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster : Official Review-20161227_160709.jpg  

Renault Duster : Official Review-20161227_160713.jpg  

Renault Duster : Official Review-20161227_160721.jpg  

Renault Duster : Official Review-20161227_160716.jpg  

Renault Duster : Official Review-20161227_160628.jpg  

Renault Duster : Official Review-20161227_160559.jpg  

Renault Duster : Official Review-20161227_160613.jpg  

Renault Duster : Official Review-20161227_160701.jpg  

Last edited by deehunk : 27th December 2016 at 21:31.
deehunk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2016, 00:11   #5532
BHPian

Quote:
@divyanker:
Wow, I never thought that way.

Thank you so much for the insight. Although 80% of the times I am on low beams so it should not matter much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRShrikanth View Post
My stock set-up is to be changed right out of the delivery workshop and hence my query. I am convinced that the stock set-up n absolutely inadequate for my 4500km highway run.

But I shall duly keep you informed on the LED bulb upgrade, once am on the road.
Sir, Led lights are totally different. And that is also a good option.
My good friend and Bhpian @Aray has it on his duster and he is very much satisfied. You can search his thread on the forum.

Last edited by ampere : 29th December 2016 at 06:27. Reason: Back to back posts merged
divyankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2016, 00:31   #5533
BHPian

Quote:
The reflector and lens provide additional - and desirable - refraction. The basic bulb itself has "low beam" filament that is "cupped" by a metal plate to throw light only in the direction and patterns needed for LHD or RHD lane driving.
Are you sure about the RHD, LHD pattern being built in the bulb?
I have used Osram NB H4s imported from US and did not find any difference in beam patterns.
Old 29th December 2016, 06:19   #5534
Distinguished - BHPian

See this link from Osram and the picture from that link.

http://<br /> https://www.osram.com/...ndex.jsp<br />

The picture clearly shows longer light travel on the right side of the road. This being for USA it is the opposite side of the oncoming lanes. For India, or left side driving countries, pattern is reversed.

Since you are driving 80% of time on low beams it is all the more important to have proper beams that give you illumination where needed without being a problem for oncoming traffic. If you are using USA pattern you are creating light dazzle for oncoming traffic in India even in dip beams.

Last edited by sudev : 29th December 2016 at 06:23.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2016, 20:16   #5535
Senior - BHPian

Its the headlights not the bulbs that make the difference in RHD and LHD cars
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks