Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2016, 22:52   #5401
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

The Duster in the rendering features design cues borrowed from latest models like the Koleos and Alaskan. It is expected to be the 7-seat variant with 200 mm longer than the standard 5-seat model, with its length measuring around 4.7 meters.

Renault Duster : Official Review-untitled.png

Source: IAB
singh.saab is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2016, 00:47   #5402
BHPian

I plan to book a Duster AMT Rxz.

Are there any AMT Ownership threads for Duster I can follow?

Also, I did see a few posts here regarding replacing the clutch. Any idea on how a clutch replacement can be done on AMT? And the costs involved?

Maybe it's just my observation, but there seems to be more active Mahindra ownership threads than dusters. :/
Old 20th August 2016, 08:09   #5403
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisissoumya View Post
I won't be carrying 5 people, there would be 2-4 people max for me to carry. So I believe ecosport wins here too ( at least in my case). However one area where Duster scores a lot higher is the ride quality. During my test drive,the ecosport felt a little harsh whereas Duster just swallowed all the potholes , bad surface and I could not feel anything inside the cabin. Many thanks for your advise.
If you drive in Mumbai, you know the craters you need to cross, and the speedbreakers that half-wash away in the first two weeks of rains.

I've been driving a 85Duster for close to two years now. There are a few things I would love seeing inside, but.. the minute the ride begins, I am a 100% satisfied customer. Wide windows, and the GC are a bonus. And my options were the Ecosport and City.

My usage is 75% city and rest anywhere that doesn't need full 4x4.. though Google maps has sent me to some really odd roads with a full load and 4 passangers.
Shanmd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2016, 10:23   #5404
BHPian

I've been driving a 85Duster for close to two years now. There are a few things I would love seeing inside, but.. the minute the ride begins, I am a 100% satisfied customer. Wide windows, and the GC are a bonus. And my options were the Ecosport and City.

During my TD of Duster 85PS I could feel like putting a little extra effort on the steering for quick city maneuvering, I mean felt a little heavy (I felt that way may be because I am used to the ultra light sterring of my Grand i10). Whats your take ?

Also I want to know between 85PS duster and 99 BHP Ecosport which one has more power on road ( We all know on paper number does not really translated into performance)?

Thanks for your advise.
Old 20th August 2016, 18:30   #5405
BHPian

I like the fact that it's a bit heavy. Helps me feel exactly where my tyres are going.. Also, the driving dynamics are different for the Duster, coming from a hatchback myself. I guess I have adjusted to it's idiosyncrasies.
Even through horrific jams, I have never felt steering it to be a burden. Most cabs don't try to cut in anyways.. One look is enough to dissuade them.
I don't really floor it so.. dunno which one would be faster off the mark. Ecosport would be the winning bet, I suppose. But overall, after some 28k kms, I've found the duster responding much more eagerly in city and outside.
And long distance is a pleasure. I barely get tired at the end of a full day of driving.
Shanmd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2016, 22:13   #5406
BHPian

Hi,
Did 30k service of my duster(110 ps).Bill came to 4855.Apart from periodic service,hazard light switch was replaced under warranty.Brake pads have 5mm left and need to check after 3000kms.
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster : Official Review-page-1.jpg  

Renault Duster : Official Review-page-2.jpg  

Esu Junior is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st August 2016, 12:09   #5407
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esu Junior View Post
Hi,
Did 30k service of my duster(110 ps).Bill came to 4855.Apart from periodic service,hazard light switch was replaced under warranty.Brake pads have 5mm left and need to check after 3000kms.

That's amazing! Its between half to a third of what my service charges for my Maruti small car (diesel).
chncar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2016, 12:29   #5408
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
The issue with Hazard light switch is common in Dusters (Old type), and might turn out to be a big headache once the warranty period gets over. Rs 1373 is a high price for this shockingly poor quality switch.

The hazard light switch of my 85ps Duster which just crossed 50,000 km has already been replaced twice, and now it's malfunctioning again. That's three failures in 50,000 km which is simply unacceptable.

I've recently had two instances of battery drainage as the blinkers turned on automatically when the car was parked for a night's rest; I still can't believe that Renault is unable to ensure the quality of this particular part.
xjosephjacob is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2016, 13:36   #5409
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
Very very reasonable I must say! Good to see.

A piece of advice: Please do not share details like your name, phone, chassis, engine numbers like this. It can be misused. Maybe you can request the mods to remove this clear image and re-upload an edited one?
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2016, 10:21   #5410
BHPian

"I've been driving a 85Duster for close to two years now. There are a few things I would love seeing inside, but.. the minute the ride begins, I am a 100% satisfied customer. Wide windows, and the GC are a bonus. And my options were the Ecosport and City."

I booked a 85PS MT RXZ Yesterday. Need some advise.

Dealer is quoting 45K for insurance, so thinking of opting out for it and doing it on my own. Is it ok or its better to go with them for future hassle free claim-settlement etc.

Do you face any rusting issue? Asking this as I could see many owners complain the same (found this on the new Duster AMT link) and others say its kind of common with this car and not of an issue.

The vehicle I drove yesterday had rattling issue at the center console. When I asked the SA he said this can not be fixed permanently and the car rattles ("Thoda bahat awaaj to aata hi he sir") . Whats your take ?

Thanks
Soumya
Old 29th August 2016, 19:48   #5411
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
Has anyone faced a niggle with the horn?

My horn stopped responding at around 2800kms. Everything is factory fitted, no alterations yet. First it felt the horn response was random. Felt like a lose connection.

I was out of station so called Whitefield Renault, they suspected rat bite (which is not the case for sure). I park in a closed garage and we don't have rodent issues around.

Anyway, the horn started working after I turned the steering all the way left and then right couple of times.
My duster did the same. Only one horn blows when dual should blow. It was patchy at first, now consistently only one blows.
Old 30th August 2016, 19:04   #5412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisissoumya View Post
"I've been driving a 85Duster for close to two years now. There are a few things I would love seeing inside, but.. the minute the ride begins, I am a 100% satisfied customer. Wide windows, and the GC are a bonus. And my options were the Ecosport and City."

I booked a 85PS MT RXZ Yesterday. Need some advise.

Dealer is quoting 45K for insurance, so thinking of opting out for it and doing it on my own. Is it ok or its better to go with them for future hassle free claim-settlement etc.

Do you face any rusting issue? Asking this as I could see many owners complain the same (found this on the new Duster AMT link) and others say its kind of common with this car and not of an issue.

The vehicle I drove yesterday had rattling issue at the center console. When I asked the SA he said this can not be fixed permanently and the car rattles ("Thoda bahat awaaj to aata hi he sir") . Whats your take ?

Thanks
Soumya

Congrats. Check with the dealer about tie-ups.. and get it done on your own. ICICI and Bajaj provide cashless for gennext.

I had asked ASC to check for rusting once and did it on my own twice over the past two years. No sign yet. Will do another check after the rains.

No rattling for me yet. Yeah, there were some squeaks, turned out it was the front passenger seat springs. Sorted. Another rattle while going over some bumps, turned out to be a fault with the sparewheel setup. Sorted. Had some vibrations that cropped up near the driver side front windscreen, turned out to be a broken side indicator lamp. Sorted. Any vibrations from the dash side usually turns out to be something kept in the glove box.
How was the road?

Last edited by Shanmd : 30th August 2016 at 19:05. Reason: Formatted it wrong.
Old 14th September 2016, 16:20   #5413
BHPian

One quick question to Duster owners in bangalore. Which is the best service centre in bangalore when it comes to servicing the Duster? I have been servicing at Silk board from the begining but now i find them a bit disappointing and irritating. can I know which is the best renault service centre with happy duster customers??

Distance is not an issue...I only need good trustworthy service
Old 27th September 2016, 10:21   #5414
Senior - BHPian

An over-priced SUV with the features and performance of an entry level hatchback
I wanted to write a good review, but the way I am pissed off by now with this vehicle has forced me to write this review.
I bought a Duster 85PS version on September 2nd, 2016 and have driven around 1200km till date. I liked the vehicle more before I bought one.
My comments may look biased, but I want to say that it is what it is.
  • The engine is very noisy and smoky. Unrefined, pathetic engine when compared to the 1.3L MJD and 1.4 CRDI of Hyundai
  • I have excluded the 1.6 and 1.5 TDI VW engines as it is in a different class
  • The turbo lag is very high and even while driving alone, I have to shift gears frequently to move on an inclined road.
  • Flat spots evident in all gears which makes driving a nuisance on busy roads. A small air filter for such a big engine
  • Every time you shift gears, the RPM drops which make driving really painful
  • The engine bay has very poor insulation and everything looks like a shoddy job
  • Insulation tapes used in engine bay already peeling off in just 1 month
  • Turbo whistle is prominent at lower rpm's, the hose pipes used for inter-coolers and air filter are of cheap quality and not secured properly
  • ABS is very sharp on my BIL's 110PS Automatic variant, but I don’t feel like having ABS at all in my vehicle
  • Large panel gaps when the doors closed and poor quality beading material
  • Inconsistent closing of engine hood between vehicles
  • Lack of storage space inside the vehicle and protruding dashboard plastics restricts leg room for co-driver
  • ORVM's very small for such a wide vehicle, cheap quality joysticks provided for adjusting ORVM's
  • Old school central locking in Standard and RXE variants
I have written a strong mail to Renault in this regard and have asked them what is the premium factor in this 12 lakh SUV, Refinement? Performance? Features?

Last edited by deehunk : 27th September 2016 at 10:30.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2016, 11:16   #5415
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone changed the tyre of the Duster by taking out the spare from the cradle and putting the punctured tyre in the cradle back? My question is - does the same bolt work for the steel spare wheel as well as the alloy wheel?
Also, is there any video of this entire process? Had learnt it while taking delivery of the new car. But with no change required in these 2.5 years I have quite forgotten how to do it all.
Am getting ready for a longish drive to Rajasthan from Calcutta shortly. Must learn how to do it before that. Some help will be appreciated.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks