Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2017, 12:23   #5536
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Posting this on behalf of a friend who is not a member here. He has a 2WD duster 85ps. He is looking to replace his stock tyres. Any recommendations. Usage would be 80% city roads and 20% rough patches/ off-roading.

TIA.
Old 4th January 2017, 13:52   #5537
BHPian

Duster use single filament bulbs and the LHD\RHD beam pattern and the throw is determined by the reflector not by the bulb, Yes, the distance of the filament determines the throw and pattern, however its standard for both the stock and the NB.

BTW, never use any other bulb in another reflector than its designed for. A slight difference in the pattern will blind the oncoming traffic. Hence the HIDs and LEDs are known for the blob effect infront of the car to the other vehicles. Also it blinds the driver of the car that you are following too, the reflections from the rear view mirror even with low beam can hurt the eyes. Also keep in mind that more the color temp towards white the more opaque will be the droplets during a rain or fog, it will increase if the light intensity is high, in-effect very difficult to drive.

If you are looking for Osrams, there is no reliable source in India as they have no channel for automotive bulbs. Market is flooded with fakes and even the sellers (those who are aware of this) wont guarantee you that. Better get it from an official partner or distributor like powerbulbs.com. Fakes will conk off randomly and have unpredictable beam pattern + throw and color temp.

Review by a user in DusterClubIndia - DCi who got it from powerbulbs (free shipping worldwide)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/dust...2595653695991/

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
Just pull the horn cover on the steering wheel like you would the back cover of your mobile phone.
Careful, if the car is equipped with an airbag (the one mentioned in the thread doesnt have the airbag). Make sure that the battery is disconnected atleast for 15mins to take out the steering \ horn pad and the airbag unit will be part of that pad.

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 4th January 2017 at 14:17.
::CMS:: is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th January 2017, 18:14   #5538
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayclicks View Post
Posting this on behalf of a friend who is not a member here. He has a 2WD duster 85ps. He is looking to replace his stock tyres. Any recommendations. Usage would be 80% city roads and 20% rough patches/ off-roading.

TIA.
Hi Ajay
235/60/R16 is the best upsize we can go for.
My friends upgraded with Maxxis and yokos and they are happy with the performance, you can also consider Falken it will be much cheaper.

DV
divyankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2017, 08:39   #5539
Senior - BHPian

Another horrifying incident of a Duster bought from Trident Renault in Bangalore. The owner is thinking of legal battle against them, shared from Duster Club of India.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/dust...84348026508230
Old 17th January 2017, 22:41   #5540
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rear Whell Bearing

My dad's 2012 model year duster was sent for the 1,00,000 km service in Delhi. Got a call saying LHS rear wheel bearing needs replacement. On enquiry they said Part cost INR 6,500 and labour cost INR (The best we can do for you). I was alarmed by this statement of theirs showing so much goodwill, because the same issue cropped up on the 80K service in Jaipur.

Asked the Delhi service guy to confirm from records which bearing was changed in the 80K service.

Asked the Jaipur guy to confirm which bearing they changed in the 80K. They said it is difficult to say from part number as LHS and RHS bearing part number is same. Asked me for some more time as they will pull out the job cards and check.

While I waited for confirmation from Jaipur the Delhi guy said they checked records and it was the RHS bearing that was changed in 80K service, hence now the LHS bearing should be changed as per their diagnosis. This sounded shady since without the job card how could he know which side bearing was replaced. Out of doubt and confusion I asked him to not replace any bearing as I will get it done later.

Later in the evening I got a message from service manager in Jaipur that the LHS bearing was changed as per job card in the 80K service. So I feel I was on the verge of getting fleeced by the Delhi service center guys.

I would like you all to beware of this issue and take caution. Ask for them to show you what the problem is and how they diagnose it. Because it doesn't show up in any tangible form while driving.

I believe I was getting fleeced at the 80K service by the Jaipur service center too, since the vehicle was just out of warranty at above 80K. Adding to the confusion is that the part which costs INR 6,500 was changed FOC after a little exchange of words. In which case the RHS bearing is going strong still..

Last edited by Tgo : 17th January 2017 at 22:45.
Tgo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2017, 13:00   #5541
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
I would like you all to beware of this issue and take caution. Ask for them to show you what the problem is and how they diagnose it. Because it doesn't show up in any tangible form while driving.
If the bearing is really gone to the extent of it having to be replaced, you will feel a tyre wobble at high speeds. You can jack up the wheel that is in doubt, and put the car in neutral (with blocks to prevent it from rolling, of-course) and spin the wheel as fast as you can. You will hear the hum of bearing if bearing is gone.

But personally, I think most of these are dealer scams. Over the years, I have become extremely distrustful of car dealers and authorized service centers.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2017, 15:53   #5542
BHPian

Dear Duster owners,
I have recently seen a used 2013 December Duster 85PS RXL(O) model (done only 24000km) which I am considering to buy. There are two things on this car which bothered me and is holding me back.
1. In Idle, when I gently race the engine, I get a loud rough engine noise at one point (maybe between 2500-3000RPM) and then it fades away. Is this something to be worried about? I compared this sound with another 110PS Duster and the noise wasn't there.
2. Connecting my phone via Bluetooth on the touch panel doesn't work easily and then I used a manual pairing mode and connected the phone. However, when I made a couple of test phone calls, it still works on the phone and not the car audio system. Is this an issue anyone faces or probably I'm just doing something wrong.

Would appreciate if someone could quote me while replying so that I get a notification.
Thanks
Old 19th January 2017, 16:33   #5543
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coplay View Post
Dear Duster owners,
I have recently seen a used 2013 December Duster 85PS RXL(O) model (done only 24000km) which I am considering to buy. There are two things on this car which bothered me and is holding me back.
1. In Idle, when I gently race the engine, I get a loud rough engine noise at one point (maybe between 2500-3000RPM) and then it fades away. Is this something to be worried about? I compared this sound with another 110PS Duster and the noise wasn't there.
2. Connecting my phone via Bluetooth on the touch panel doesn't work easily and then I used a manual pairing mode and connected the phone. However, when I made a couple of test phone calls, it still works on the phone and not the car audio system. Is this an issue anyone faces or probably I'm just doing something wrong.

Would appreciate if someone could quote me while replying so that I get a notification.
Thanks
You can visit the nearest service centre and get the vehicle thoroughly checked, especially point 1. Check for service history of the car and any repair job that was undertaken.
Old 20th January 2017, 07:04   #5544
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
If the bearing is really gone to the extent of it having to be replaced, you will feel a tyre wobble at high speeds. You can jack up the wheel that is in doubt, and put the car in neutral (with blocks to prevent it from rolling, of-course) and spin the wheel as fast as you can. You will hear the hum of bearing if bearing is gone.
I don't feel any wobble (tested at high speeds) but, I have to check after jacking up and rotating the wheel in question. But still, should a mass produced taper roller bearing used in this application cost Rs. 6,500?

On a separate note, the clutch in this car at 1L km is showing signs of wear. It doesn't have the same bite as it used to (...or am comparing it with the AWD model's clutch). I think I should be able to pull out another 20K from it with some babying, because the gear changes are smooth.

I like the factory issue leather seats of this 2012 RXZ model car, compared to my 2015 RXZ AWD these are plush and don't give me a back ache.

Last edited by ampere : 23rd January 2017 at 05:20. Reason: Removed absolute mention of speed
Old 23rd January 2017, 01:16   #5545
BHPian

late update people, alerting the folks for some of the malpractices run at the trident dealership Mysore road Bangalore happened at the 60k service a few months back

1.SA quoted a service estimate of 30k odd , needless to say i was shocked. (generally its around 12-13k which too i found to be on higher side)

2. He said accessories belt kit needs to be changed its a 8k part +labour as mentioned in the manual. (got to know later only the belt which is a 1.6k part needs to changed at 60k, the pulley+belt kit needs replacement only at 120k service!)

3. Refused to changed the broken Front RHS shock absorber under warranty. Cost 5.8k+1k to realce. said suspension parts are only covered for 40k kms (didn't read this anywhere in the manual)

4. i cancelled all the other extra works including wheel alignment/rotation to reduce the bill shock.

5. SA calls up and says the timing belt needs to changed as this is a 2015 model, will cost another 10k, i told him that its mentioned in the manual that it needs to be changed at 120k, he told me that the manual is not updated-shocking but i refused anyways and said that i'll get it done next service as the bill is already high. (got to know later that he was bluffing anyways)

6. The diesel filter is charged at 3.5k for every service!i thought that was kind of high, after a bit of research i think that thats only for the AWD variant and this shouldn't cost more than 2k but need confirmation for the same. The 2012 model uses a different filter costing about 1.6k.

7. Final bill was 25k odd, i decided then that i was quitting the ASS route , it was useless as even warranty was not honoured and running cost was escalating. Later had wobbling trouble coz of a loose check-nut on the replaced shock absorber.

8. Last two services at the FNG costs down to 4.5k per service!only having a lot of trouble sourcing the diesel filter, used two imported units the last two times but am not happy with the quality of the same.

car currently at 83k kms in 20 months , small rattles but holding up good with all the use and abuse. Loving it!
mh09ad5578 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2017, 05:24   #5546
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh09ad5578 View Post
car currently at 83k kms in 20 months , small rattles but holding up good with all the use and abuse. Loving it!
I am not sure about the service or service costs. But 83K in 20 months! wont it accelerate wear and tear of parts? Is there an ageing vs distance covered aspect when we look at servicing? Or its just strictly odo reading.

All said and done, you have put quite a number to the odo in less than 2 years. Great going!
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2017, 09:40   #5547
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
But 83K in 20 months! wont it accelerate wear and tear of parts? Is there an ageing vs distance covered aspect when we look at servicing? Or its just strictly odo reading.
All said and done, you have put quite a number to the odo in less than 2 years. Great going!
Can't help it, it's work related travel around 150 kms radius around my home town, it car does 5k odd kms almost every month on 50 percent of which are bad roads and I'm a negligent driver and mostly at higher speed even on pot holes riddled roads (not surprised on that broken shock absorber).

The flip side is car doesn't look like a 20 month specimen but a 4-5 year old one. But it does take all the abuse provides decent fuel economy (14 to 18 kmpl depending on acceleration)and has never left me stranded (important, I travel remote areas on tight schedules) couldn't ask for more.

Only wish Renault parts were available off the shelf it would have made the car perfect!

P.s -car is on one set tyre change at 73k and one break pad set change at 53k

Last edited by mh09ad5578 : 23rd January 2017 at 09:42. Reason: Auto correct messing up
Old 23rd January 2017, 22:36   #5548
BHPian

Quote:
Only wish Renault parts were available off the shelf it would have made the car perfect!
May parts are in fact shared with Logan. Aren't Mahindra parts (verito ?) available off-shelf ? I'm sure both cars use the same brake pads; realized that during the brake pad change at 60,000 km- it was clearly written on the package.
xjosephjacob is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2017, 23:20   #5549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjosephjacob View Post
May parts are in fact shared with Logan. Aren't Mahindra parts (verito ?) available off-shelf ? I'm sure both cars use the same brake pads; realized that during the brake pad change at 60,000 km- it was clearly written on the package.
The 2015 onwards model has different consumables I guess. The break pads are different. I sourced Rane brand (cost 1.25k) oem but they didn't fit. The new ones have some extra extensions. Finally got it replaced at 3.5k a set+ labour at the ASS. also finding it impossible to source a branded good quality diesel filter for it. Hence the view. Will try more I guess!
Regards
Old 23rd January 2017, 23:40   #5550
BHPian

Quote:
The 2015 onwards model has different consumables I guess. The break pads are different. I sourced Rane brand (cost 1.25k) oem but they didn't fit. The new ones have some extra extensions. Finally got it replaced at 3.5k a set+ labour at the ASS. also finding it impossible to source a branded good quality diesel filter for it. Hence the view. Will try more I guess!
Regards
Unless we compare a 2016 model with older models part by part, we don't know. I don't see a genuine reason why 2016 model's parts and consumables should be noticeably more expensive than a 2012 model. It's the same old school diesel engine and mechanical's underneath. 3.5 K is too much for what is essentially a logans brake pad.

I remember seeing somewhere that post 2015 AWD's fuel filter is more expensive than 2014 AWD's. I'm sure there are absolutely no changes, mechanical or electrical/electronics.

Last edited by xjosephjacob : 23rd January 2017 at 23:43.
xjosephjacob is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks