Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2016, 11:20   #5416
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
An over-priced SUV with the features and performance of an entry level hatchback
I wanted to write a good review, but the way I am pissed off by now with this vehicle has forced me to write this review.
I bought a Duster 85PS version on September 2nd, 2016 and have driven around 1200km till date. I liked the vehicle more before I bought one.
My comments may look biased, but I want to say that it is what it is.
Very unfortunate that you don't like your new vehicle

Quote:
*The turbo lag is very high and even while driving alone, I have to shift gears frequently to move on an inclined road.
*Flat spots evident in all gears which makes driving a nuisance on busy roads. A small air filter for such a big engine
*Every time you shift gears, the RPM drops which make driving really painful
Duster 85 PS was known for city drivability with minimal/no lag. This must be something specific to your vehicle. What was SAs response on this?

Quote:
*The engine bay has very poor insulation and everything looks like a shoddy job
*Large panel gaps when the doors closed and poor quality beading material
*Inconsistent closing of engine hood between vehicles
*Lack of storage space inside the vehicle and protruding dashboard plastics restricts leg room for co-driver
*ORVM's very small for such a wide vehicle, cheap quality joysticks provided for adjusting ORVM's
*Old school central locking in Standard and RXE variants
I'm sorry but these facts would have been very evident when you took the test drive, hope you did. Duster was never known for NVH and fit and finish.

Quote:
I have written a strong mail to Renault in this regard and have asked them what is the premium factor in this 12 lakh SUV, Refinement? Performance? Features?
Please keep us posted on the response from Renault
Karthik Chandra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th September 2016, 12:42   #5417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik Chandra View Post
Duster 85 PS was known for city drivability with minimal/no lag. This must be something specific to your vehicle. What was SAs response on this?

I'm sorry but these facts would have been very evident when you took the test drive, hope you did. Duster was never known for NVH and fit and finish.
I do not trust the SAs because they are programmed parrots. I have escalated the issues directly to Renault India on their FB page and will be posting the photos of quality issue. Even during my intial feedback I told them about the quality issues and asked them to take a re-look at the pipings for inter-cooler, intake manifold and turbocharger. I have worked on real time testing of turbo's and the whole engine layout just looks cheap. Dealer did not provide a TD vehicle for 85 PS and it was also my last minute decision to go for Duster. Still I did not expect such a cheap 3rd Class vehicle at INR 12 lakhs.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2016, 16:34   #5418
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
An over-priced SUV with the features and performance of an entry level hatchback
I wanted to write a good review, but the way I am pissed off by now with this vehicle has forced me to write this review.
I have written a strong mail to Renault in this regard and have asked them what is the premium factor in this 12 lakh SUV, Refinement? Performance? Features?
Quote:
I do not trust the SAs because they are programmed parrots. I have escalated the issues directly to Renault India on their FB page and will be posting the photos of quality issue. Even during my intial feedback I told them about the quality issues and asked them to take a re-look at the pipings for inter-cooler, intake manifold and turbocharger. I have worked on real time testing of turbo's and the whole engine layout just looks cheap. Dealer did not provide a TD vehicle for 85 PS and it was also my last minute decision to go for Duster. Still I did not expect such a cheap 3rd Class vehicle at INR 12 lakhs.
Sad to read about you experience. First of all, please calm down. Most of the issues would have presented them if you had taken a test ride. But, now that the vehicle is home, there isn't much point discussing it. Tackle the issues one at a time. There are solutions to most of the problems if you look around.

Driveability and turbo lag: If there is nothing wrong mechanically, and the service center confirms it is the normal behavior, drive it around some more (maybe till 10k kms) and then consider investing in a tuning box like this one - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ng-box-32.html

ABS issues: Test drive it along with someone from the service center and show them what exactly you mean. Maybe they can identify the potential problem.

Quality issues in the engine bay: It is good that you have involved Renault, but please do not summarily dismiss the service center folks. After all, they will be working on your vehicle as directed by Renault. Talk to them, inspect other Dusters and try to find out what is lacking and get them to correct it. Ask for replacements if they can identify the faults.

Poor NVH and engine noise: Fellow member CMS has done a lot of damping and even installed extra rubber beading to improve the NVH in his car. Check out his solutions here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3871250

Uneven panel gaps: Inspect the panels thoroughly. Is it most evident on a particular panel or all over the car? In case it is concentrated around a single area, look for signs of any repair work carried out. We have seen innumerable instances of dealers trying to pass off repaired cars as new. The T-BHP PDI checklist comes handy at such times.

Lacking ORVMs: See if any of the stick on smaller mirrors can help you get a better view. Products like these - http://www.amazon.in/Adjustable-Blin.../dp/B00KNSHO7G
Also check out this thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...t-mirrors.html

Basic central locking: Depending on what additional features you want, there are solutions available in the aftermarket.

All the best, and let us know how it goes. Do not start disliking your car so early into the ownership. Give it a fair chance at least.

Last edited by Dry Ice : 27th September 2016 at 16:36.
Dry Ice is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th September 2016, 18:36   #5419
Senior - BHPian

Hi Dry Ice, I got a call from Renault today and they assured of providing assistance through their engineer. I have written a strong mail to them highlighting the major quality issues and root cause of fit and finish problem. I have not scratched my head like this with my previous 5 cars as I have done now. I will keep this thread updated with any new developments.
Old 28th September 2016, 15:14   #5420
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
I wanted to write a good review, but the way I am pissed off by now with this vehicle has forced me to write this review. I have written a strong mail to Renault in this regard and have asked them what is the premium factor in this 12 lakh SUV, Refinement? Performance? Features?
Frankly I am surprised at your post. Most of the so called gripes would have been very evident in a proper test drive. Assuming they don't have custom made vehicles for test drives and it is the same vehicle's that come of the assembly line that become test drive vehicles also.

It is sad that you had to spend 12 Lakhs and then form this opinion which could have been avoided with a proper test drive and analysis of the vehicle and including reviews of many people on this forum who have reviewed it.

Anyways, now the optiosn are 1) Sell it at a loss and buy your dream car or 2) Live with it till you sell the car. Cause majority of the stuff you complain about are on all the 85 ps dusters. Regarding Lag, there maybe an issue with your Turbo as 85 Ps has no lag.
4x4addict is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2016, 15:46   #5421
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by singh.saab View Post
The Duster in the rendering features design cues borrowed from latest models like the Koleos and Alaskan. It is expected to be the 7-seat variant with 200 mm longer than the standard 5-seat model, with its length measuring around 4.7 meters.

Source: IAB
I have to say that if this rendering makes it to the final production vehicle then it might just be one of the best looking SUVs! It is so damn proportionate and modern looking with everything spot on.

However, the new Duster being tested doesn't resemble this shape at all, what's the catch here?
fine69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2016, 17:42   #5422
BHPian

Hi Folks,

After owning Chevrolet beat for almost 5 years and after moving from Bangalore to Kolkata, finally traded my Beat for Renault Duster 85 PS RXS. So far , it has been about a month and 1500 kms of blissful ownership- puts a smile as soon as I am on the road every time . Accessories I have been able to eke out - A rear parking sensor with camera and IRVM display
Old 28th September 2016, 21:42   #5423
Senior - BHPian

I do not believe in reviews and test drives, because it depends on what a reviewer is looking for and if they were accurate the rate of prediction of failures would have been high. The turbo is fine, I was already in touch with a known tuner from last week and the ECM was remapped yesterday. The tuner has given a trial option for 1000km free of cost. I changed engine oil to 5W40 grade since the stock engine oil was in bad condition. I have been doing TD from yesterday night and seems like performance related issues have been fixed. But my opinion will not change on the quality of insulation, connectors and tapes used in engine bay, they are just cheap. The old RD tuning box is not compatible with this ECM, as confirmed by RD guys to my BIL yesterday.

Last edited by deehunk : 28th September 2016 at 21:58.
Old 29th September 2016, 12:26   #5424
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
I do not believe in reviews and test drives, because it depends on what a reviewer is looking for and if they were accurate the rate of prediction of failures would have been high.
You don't have to follow other people's test drive reports, but you can do a proper test drive of the same spec vehicle. Looks like Renault make one specially rotten vehicle very different from the test drive vehicle.
Old 30th September 2016, 11:28   #5425
Senior - BHPian

I got a call from Renault India today morning. I was clear in my words that a dealer owns the responsibility only when a vehicle reaches its service period and till then OEM is responsible for manufacturing issues. I had sent them a report with all overlooked quality issues and they acknowledged it during my conversation. I have scheduled a meeting with them next week and they are ready to fix the critical issues which I have highlighted.

Last edited by deehunk : 30th September 2016 at 11:30.
Old 4th October 2016, 11:45   #5426

Would it be okay to put a translucent white sun screen strip on top of the front windshield? And of so, any idea where can get it in the HSR Layout/ Bellandur area in Bangalore? The problem is that when I put down the visor on my Duster, it cuts off vision and without it, the glare is blinding.

Any advice where I can get a strip of sunscreen film fixed at the top of my Duster windshield in the HSR Layout/ Bellandur area in Banaglore? The problem is that when I put the visor down it cuts my view and if I don't, there is a glare. Thanks.

Last edited by ampere : 4th October 2016 at 14:22. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 4th October 2016, 14:01   #5427
BHPian

Quote:

To be honest, I can clearly say that you havent got the same kind of car as mine inspite of being an older one (mine is 2012). I wonder you bought the car without seeing it in the showroom.
- Crisp ABS? I am confused.
- NVH, I got to know the NVH levels of the car even before getting it. Moreover new gen Dusters ahve far far better NVH than the old gen.
-Smaller airfilter, common, whats the point in bigger one if the map doesnt consider the extra air mix and can produce the desired o/p.
Really, sorry, cannot write all, from the points that you have mentioned, I feel you are talking about a different car.

BTW, you remapped the car and you are going to discuss it with Renault, buddy understand your cars warranty is gone, it would be interesting if they attend the vehicle if they come to know about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
Has anyone changed the tyre of the Duster by taking out the spare from the cradle and putting the punctured tyre in the cradle back? My question is - does the same bolt work for the steel spare wheel as well as the alloy wheel?
Also, is there any video of this entire process? Had learnt it while taking delivery of the new car. But with no change required in these 2.5 years I have quite forgotten how to do it all.
Am getting ready for a longish drive to Rajasthan from Calcutta shortly. Must learn how to do it before that. Some help will be appreciated.
You can use the same bolt. I did it couple of times.

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 4th October 2016 at 14:20. Reason: Back 2 Back posts.
::CMS:: is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2016, 15:07   #5428
Senior - BHPian

Hi CMS, I am meeting a Renault representative tomorrow at Trident, Mysore Road. I agree to your point that it feels like I am talking about a different car. I had written a mail to Renault with slides of quality issues which I reported to the dealer on the day of delivery itself, after 2 days I got a call from Renault person to whom I explained the overlooked quality issues and possible root cause behind them. He agreed to my observations and assured to help me by arranging a meeting with their Technical team and he responded on time as promised. After this the blower and compressor have developed a problem, .
My point of discussion in tomorrow's meeting will be on
  1. Turbo whistle
  2. RPM drop during gear shift
  3. Quality of insulation tapes (some have peeled off)
  4. Unacceptable levels of noise and vibration
  5. Poor ABS
  6. Ineffective gas filled strut for engine hood
  7. Misalignment of Engine hood when closed
Old 4th October 2016, 15:32   #5429
BHPian

Quote:
Hi CMS, I am meeting a Renault representative tomorrow at Trident, Mysore Road. I agree to your point that it feels like I am talking about a different car. I had written a mail to Renault with slides of quality issues which I reported to the dealer on the day of delivery itself, after 2 days I got a call from Renault person to whom I explained the overlooked quality issues and possible root cause behind them. He agreed to my observations and assured to help me by arranging a meeting with their Technical team and he responded on time as promised. After this the blower and compressor have developed a problem, .
My point of discussion in tomorrow's meeting will be on
@deehunk: Sorry to hear about the issues which you are facing with your vehicle.

I have a strong feeling that from the list of things you have mentioned for discussion, Renault is going to be defensive citing warranty terms and conditions for the following as soon as they come to know about your remap.

Quote:
  1. Turbo whistle
  2. RPM drop during gear shift
I think you should have waited till your discussions are closed with Renault, before taking the remap route.

Good luck for the battle !
Old 5th October 2016, 23:57   #5430
Senior - BHPian

Update from today's meeting.
  1. I went to the showroom at 11.15 am as per plan
  2. I was not willing to talk to dealer, but Renault person backed out last minute
  3. There were few customers looking for Duster and Lodgy, Trident people moved me out from the place
  4. Two people from Service team came to see my car, I took them for a test drive
  5. I tried to reproduce all the issues, also explained the lack of freshness in the brakes.
  6. I then asked them to drive the vehicle, only the braking aspect was checked as I noticed
  7. We came back from test drive, the vehicle was put to complete scan
  8. I observed 3 error codes as they took a snapshot at that point
  9. Then their service advisor instructed to clear the error codes and do a reset
  10. I just watched these standing at a distance, later they told me that there are no errors and vehicle is fine
  11. They told to come back for the 2000km first service, and they would look into the issues if I was not satisfied
  12. They acknowledged the problem with gas-filled strut opening but not fixed
  13. I showed them the tapes which were peeling off, they just covered it with a new tape (not heat resistant)
  14. I showed them the misalignment of head lamps, they attended it promptly
  15. But, the hole itself is not drilled in the right position, so no solution
  16. They fixed all visible gaps around the bumpers
There was no job card created for the inspection done and no gate pass issued. If they were transparent what prevented them from treating this complaint as a genuine case and file a job card. The absence of Renault person at the spot and no official acknowledgment of work done today points to suspicion. This is exactly the way Skoda India handled my complaint of paint bubbles, there was no job card when the paint issue was fixed, I escalated 2 times demanding a job card and the last time I escalated Mr. Aiyanna left Vinayak Skoda.

Last edited by deehunk : 6th October 2016 at 00:15.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks