Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2013, 11:16   #3211
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Hi Guys

My uncle purchased a 85ps Duster RXE in May'13 and got a chance to drive the beast a few days back. I really loved the linear acceleration and the impressive NVH levels (I must say that driving my Amaze after the Duster made me uncomfortable with the noise levels the i-Dtec mill produces).

The one thing I really did not like about the Duster and my uncle too had been complaining about were the brakes. The car has been driven for around 7000 kms and the brake pedal feels a bit spongy not inspiring confidence. Even at slow speeds, the car drags some additional distance than anticipated and then comes to a halt. My uncle had recently gone to Renault Delhi-East where the SA simply said that it is a characteristic of all Dusters and the brakes have been intentionally designed to slip a bit so as to reduce their wear and tear. Is this true??? It would be really helpful if any Duster owner could share his experience with the brakes.

Thanks,

Sid
Old 31st October 2013, 14:22   #3212
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid_deb View Post
My uncle had recently gone to Renault Delhi-East where the SA simply said that it is a characteristic of all Dusters and the brakes have been intentionally designed to slip a bit so as to reduce their wear and tear. Is this true??? It would be really helpful if any Duster owner could share his experience with the brakes.
Please bleed the brakes. It should be fine after that.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2013, 17:00   #3213
BHPian

^^ when I asked the SA to do this in the latest 10K service; the SA said that these are ABS brakes and they do not such bleeding !!
Old 31st October 2013, 17:03   #3214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himadrimondal View Post
110 ps owners please confirm.
There is a suction like sound coming from the engine after the engine is turned off.

Can be heard only when the bonnet is open. Ask someone to switch off the car while you standing in front of the engine.

Quick update is much appreciated.
Even mine makes this sound,i think its the turbo fan,not sure what its technically called. Had the same sound in my previous Indica Turbo and that was what the mechanic mentioned then.
werfish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2013, 17:51   #3215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartik Kumar View Post

For all 110 PS versions, 60K from Renault. May be it is 30K for 85 PS models. Then the dealer also gives some BS on registration should happen before 31st of October which is definitely not the case.
It's 60k for all models except RxE . I've been told that for Duster, the dealer makes a profit of 35k per car. So, it's pretty obvious that the dealer wont be happy to waive off another 30k (Dealers share of the exchange bonus)from the price and sell the car for bare minimum profits

Whats the update on your purchase ?
Old 31st October 2013, 22:05   #3216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjosephjacob View Post

It's 60k for all models except RxE . I've been told that for Duster, the dealer makes a profit of 35k per car. So, it's pretty obvious that the dealer wont be happy to waive off another 30k (Dealers share of the exchange bonus)from the price and sell the car for bare minimum profits

Whats the update on your purchase ?
2nd or 3rd week of November
Old 1st November 2013, 03:46   #3217
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Our Duster 110 RXZ (O) is going to turn 1 year old on 4th November and it has been driven around quite a bit. It has been to Gujrat (10 Day trip) and Dehradun (5 Day trip) apart from doing duty in and around Jaipur. Dad is posted in Anupgarh (Indo-Pak Border) and has taken it there twice. The current ODO reading stands at 24,000 km which is similar to the first year's reading in our brand new Qualis back in 2001.

There is this humming noise which has cropped up. In the 40-60 kmph range it is really noticeable and above these speeds it goes away or is masked by the wind noise. The sound changes with speed (accelerating/decelerating). It is not originating from the transmission as the noise is present while coasting in that range in neutral. And there are no vibrations noticed in the steering/gear knob/ABC pedals anywhere.

The SA said that the tires are running out and this noise will come as they get older. He also said that it is present in all other vehicles which have done similar distances. I need to know from the forum whether this is being experienced by others as well?

Though I was contemplating if carrying out sound dampening is a good idea or not? It might dampen the unwanted noises but, in some cases the unwanted noises are indicators of something going wrong in the vehicle which can be identified sooner.
Tgo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2013, 10:19   #3218
BHPian

I'll be taking the delivery of my Duster today! I just wanted to ask if the the extended warranty / road side assistance certificates will be given today itself or later, as in the case of other cars.

Though I have the PDI checklist with me, any other things that i should check? Any Duster-specific things?
Old 1st November 2013, 10:36   #3219
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abh1nav View Post
I'll be taking the delivery of my Duster today! I just wanted to ask if the the extended warranty / road side assistance certificates will be given today itself or later, as in the case of other cars.

Though I have the PDI checklist with me, any other things that i should check? Any Duster-specific things?
It comes later. I got it as a mail almost 2-3 months later. So over all its 4 year 80K.
Old 2nd November 2013, 02:09   #3220
BHPian

Finally took the delivery of my Duster 85 RXL (O) today! There was a mad rush at the dealership due to Dhanteras, since it is considered to be a very auspicious occasion! Some 6-7 Dusters were delivered in front of me in a span of 1-1:30 hours!

The delivery process was smooth. The demo could have been a bit better though! Still, Ive read so much about the car, I assume it's best to go hands on straightaway!

Drove for about a 100 kms today. Once I filled the fuel, I also got the tyre pressure checked and set it to 30. Still, I didn't find the ride as smooth as I expected. Again, maybe because I've read too much!

Got the gear lock (U-Shape) installed from the dealership, as I have to park my car on the street, so I thought it's best to have it from day 1. Wanted the reverse camera + steering wheel cover as well, but it was out of stock.

Here's a picture of my brand new ride!

Renault Duster : Official Review-image381558819.jpg

Last edited by Abh1nav : 2nd November 2013 at 02:10.
Abh1nav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2013, 06:23   #3221
BHPian

Quote:
Finally took the delivery of my Duster 85 RXL (O) today! .....

The delivery process was smooth. The demo could have been a bit better though! Still, Ive read so much about the car, I assume it's best to go hands on straightaway!

Got the gear lock (U-Shape) installed from the dealership, as I have to park my car on the street, so I thought it's best to have it from day 1. Wanted the reverse camera + steering wheel cover as well, but it was out of stock.

Here's a picture of my brand new ride!

Attachment 1161275
Congrats! As I also own pearl white Duster, I would strongly recommend a
3M sealant done ASAP considering the vehicle is parked in open; also, consider getting PPF done for the wheel arches. Yeah get a repeat demo done for stepney change in the least. Happy driving! Cheers
Waxeloquent is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2013, 07:42   #3222
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Finally took the delivery of my Duster 85 RXL (O) today! There was a mad rush at the dealership due to Dhanteras, since it is considered to be a very auspicious occasion! Some 6-7 Dusters were delivered in front of me in a span of 1-1:30 hours!
Congrats !

Mandatory Updates:
- Change speakers alone. HU is pretty decent. Would recommend an Infinity Primus Components for front and co-ax for back. Increases the quality by few notches

Desirable Updates:
- Get good quality leather seats. The seating improves quite nicely compared to fabric.
- Door damping for both inner and outer linings. Gives a good thud like feel to the door. In addition marginally improves noise isolation
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2013, 15:41   #3223
BHPian

Duster antenna replacement

Hmmm, someone in my basement parking lot stole the Duster antenna :( Do I need to replace the antenna? Will the radio work without that? I will try it. Should I look for the original make or any market stuff would work as well. It is like wheel hub cover; anyone can flick it, just unscrew and off it comes. Cheers
Old 2nd November 2013, 20:46   #3224
BHPian

2014 Renault Duster to get a new Petrol engine.
1.2-liter TCe borrowed from Renault is officially rated at 125 PS and 205 Nm of toque. Renault say that 90% of peak torque is available from 1,500 rpm and all of it kicks in at 2,000 rpm.

Looks like a very promising engine and will make entry to our market as well.

Source:- Autoevolution
MaxTorque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2013, 21:03   #3225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxeloquent View Post
Will the radio work without that? I will try it. Should I look for the original make or any market stuff would work as well.
For city use FM will work without the roof antenna. Do check for the replacement cost from Renault. You have better aftermarket antennas out there. I feel the original antenna is too long.
HillMan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks