Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2013, 23:13   #3361
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abh1nav View Post
I too got a discount of 52K on my 85 RXL (O) when I got it this month.

For the accessories, I think everything is overpriced, as is the case usually with the dealers.

- While it is not advisable to get bull bars, still my dealer offered 14K for both, front and rear. You can easily get them outside as well for 9-10K (both).

- Side steps were offered for 11.5K by my dealer, and even they'll be much cheaper outside.

- Getting the reverse sensors + camera from the dealer is advisable, as it involves playing with the wires, which if done from outside, may cause warranty issues. Still, my dealer had a pack worth 9K which had both the sensors and the camera.

- Chrome kit for 3K is daylight robbery. I got it outside for 1200.
Thanks for the info. Can you let me know which dealer did you get your car from. Also any particular reason why the bull guards are not recommended ?
Old 25th November 2013, 23:24   #3362
BHPian

Quote:
You can get the chrome kit for just the handles as well, and skip the tail lights/fog lamps. That is available for 600-800 I guess.
Haven't seen it on any Duster yet, going by your words on look and feel
Ordered just the door handle covers on eBay. Should have it on my Grey Hound sometime this week.

Chrome Plated Door Handle Covers

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsoffires View Post
Thanks for the info. Can you let me know which dealer did you get your car from. Also any particular reason why the bull guards are not recommended ?
Personally I too dont like the look of bull bar on duster. Oh! I like the look of a pair of Hella up front instead.

On a side note, it would create some weight on the front, add to drag and the bull bar might start making vibrating noise with time by rubbing with the bumper or by itself.

Last edited by HillMan : 25th November 2013 at 23:41.
Old 26th November 2013, 09:26   #3363
BHPian

On bull bars, particularly the front, one may want to do some research on its possible impact on deployment of air bags in case of a collision. The sensors
which trigger the inflating of air bags are becoming more sophisticated as wrong deployment of them also cause injuries, some times fatal. If front bull bar will void warranty condition is also worth checking out. The rear bull bars do not seem to face such collateral issues.

Cheers
Waxeloquent is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 17:33   #3364

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
Ordered just the door handle covers on eBay. Should have it on my Grey Hound sometime this week.

Chrome Plated Door Handle Covers

HillMan, I too got the same and it definitely looks good. I got the package with fog lamp cover and it adds on to the beauty.
BTW, I got these door sill plates also -
http://www.ebay.in/itm/Car-Door-Sill...item3a7c2f36fb

The front door sill plates are comparatively large and covers more area (This area gets dirty very easily, especially on black color Dusters like mine).
Ram190877 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 18:34   #3365
P76
BHPian

Visited the Renault showroom today with a friend, dealer offered upto Rs.80k cash discount on exchange. Said that Renault has discontinued the rear a/c unit completely on the top variant Rxz(o) as well. said it would not be available in any Dusters hereafter !. Don't know if that's true.

Was talking to the salesman, and was taken aback by the total lack of knowledge about the car. According to him, the Duster is a solidly built vehicle and is heavier than the Innova . He mentioned that the duster weighs 1700kgs against the Innova's 1600-odd kgs. (I drive an Innova). He was referring to the GVW of the Duster against the Kerb weight of the Innova. I tried explaining the difference, but he was not impressed.

secondly, he mentioned that the Duster has more wheelbase than the Terrano, thus resulting in better legroom in the rear !!. When I countered this saying the Terrano is just a badge engineered Duster, he agreed that the body was the same, but wheel base was a 'bit' longer

I came back amused at how ill informed the salesmen are.
Old 26th November 2013, 20:26   #3366
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram190877 View Post
The front door sill plates are comparatively large and covers more area (This area gets dirty very easily, especially on black color Dusters like mine).
Nice. Thanks for the inputs. I was looking for door sills with LED. I am planning for it during the 2nd service.

It looks real nice on XUV. But then the XUV has a darker interior and the blue light from the door sill give a pub kinda effect at night

Coming to Duster, I am kind of confused, will it make a similar impact. The reason being the Duster interiors are very bright and I have a feeling it will nullify the impact from door sill lights. Specially with my butterscotch seats. I might have to keep a few inside lights to manual instead of switching on automatically on unlock.
Old 26th November 2013, 21:20   #3367
BHPian

Quote:
Nice. Thanks for the inputs. I was looking for door sills with LED. I am planning for it during the 2nd service.
Hi, from my previous experience with sills with LED, it is not advisable . The aftermarket one does not have a good quality. Those will not illuminate/ will be blinking after a short period of time. So better buy the one without LED.
AshwinThekkan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 23:41   #3368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsoffires View Post
I got mine from Renault Faridabad. PM me and I'll hook you up with my SA. The price I mentioned for the accessories were after the negotiations!

For bull bars, firstly, based on whatever I've read, they interfere in the deployment of Airbags. Some threads in this forum suggest that they do more harm than good.

Moreover, I personally feel that the bull bars start to look ugly after a while, once they lose the shine.

Quote:
I hope you like them! Just fit them carefully on the door handles. Mine was done at a shop, but still the guy messed up slightly with one of the tail light chrome fitting!
Old 27th November 2013, 10:27   #3369

Quote:

It looks real nice on XUV. But then the XUV has a darker interior and the blue light from the door sill give a pub kinda effect at night

Coming to Duster, I am kind of confused, will it make a similar impact. The reason being the Duster interiors are very bright and I have a feeling it will nullify the impact from door sill lights. Specially with my butterscotch seats. I might have to keep a few inside lights to manual instead of switching on automatically on unlock.
HillMan, What I took was without LED. As you rightly said, I also didn't feel the necessity of LED sill plates, as the duster interior is airy and bight. My friends who took sill plates with LED for duster were complaining that the LED hardly works now. My sill plates have the name 'DUSTER' embossed, which looks good. Sticking is pretty easy as it comes with sticking tape adhered. But it would be good to add additional tapes on our own, as there are gaps between the factory fit tapes.
Ram190877 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2013, 12:20   #3370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshwinThekkan View Post
Hi, from my previous experience with sills with LED, it is not advisable . The aftermarket one does not have a good quality. Those will not illuminate/ will be blinking after a short period of time. So better buy the one without LED.
Quote:
I hope you like them! Just fit them carefully on the door handles. Mine was done at a shop, but still the guy messed up slightly with one of the tail light chrome fitting!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram190877 View Post
HillMan, What I took was without LED. As you rightly said, I also didn't feel the necessity of LED sill plates, as the duster interior is airy and bight. My friends who took sill plates with LED for duster were complaining that the LED hardly works now. My sill plates have the name 'DUSTER' embossed, which looks good. Sticking is pretty easy as it comes with sticking tape adhered. But it would be good to add additional tapes on our own, as there are gaps between the factory fit tapes.

There goes the LED sill plates off the list. The embossed sill is a clear winner making into my list. Thanks guys, for pitching in with valuable comments.

The ebay guys hasn't shipped my handle covers yet. Waiting on it.
Old 28th November 2013, 18:46   #3371
Distinguished - BHPian

Renault Duster acknowledged by JD Power Quality Study.

Quote:
The Renault Duster was recognized today by the J.D. Power Asia Pacific 2013 India Initial Quality StudySM (IQS) for its outstanding quality among 15 SUVs in the extremely crowded segment
Quote:
Covering a period from November 2012 to July 2013, the J.D Power IQS focused on a number of quality concerns among owners, including engine and transmission, vehicle exterior, driving experience, seats and navigation. The Duster overcame competition from established products to be ranked second for its quality in the SUV space.
http://www.cardekho.com/india-car-ne...tudy-11789.htm
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2013, 19:58   #3372

Does anyone here have a problem with the Duster seats not being confortable?

I saw many people reply to a similar question in the negative, but I come from driving a i20 and I find the seats are firm, doesnt have sufficient height (so have a problem with the neck rest) and the recline angle is somewhat odd .. Infact I am even considering fitting the i20 seats in the duster (if thats possible)

So my question to you dusterites... (1) Does the seat become softer after driving for sometime (SA says after a month of use the seats wont be firm!) (2) What are you doing for neck rests (for me seat height is shorter than my shoulder by about an inch , so cant find a proper neck rest)?

thanks in advance.
Old 28th November 2013, 20:22   #3373
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceebu View Post
So my question to you dusterites... (1) Does the seat become softer after driving for sometime (SA says after a month of use the seats wont be firm!) (2) What are you doing for neck rests (for me seat height is shorter than my shoulder by about an inch , so cant find a proper neck rest)?
Fabric seats are soft in my opinion. Whereas I want firmer seats which retain shape. So I went with leather.

Neck rests are pretty much the same. No issues.

But in general what you mention is true to a large extent. Many did not like the ergonomics of Duster seating. They could not find a comfortable driving position in spite of playing with the seating positions for quite some time.
Old 28th November 2013, 20:30   #3374

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
They could not find a comfortable driving position in spite of playing with the seating positions for quite some time.
Thanks Ampere... this is precisely the problem that I face. . I drive 90 kms everyday, so this is a big issue and something that I didnt catch during my test drive..

To others..
Does anyone have experience changing their seats to a different one?
Old 28th November 2013, 20:42   #3375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceebu View Post
Does anyone here have a problem with the Duster seats not being confortable?
The seating issue can also be related to our getting used to a previous car. Like I loved the Matiz seats, when I shifted to Spark, I hated it for some time. Same happened with Duster.

But, I agree the fabric seat are softer and sinks in more than my liking. It felt good to sit but not to drive with.

I got my self leather seats too, the firmness improved rideability and comfort. But I must say, installing the arm rest takes the comfort to another level.

I've driven 5hrs at a stretch and have no complains now.

I am around 5000kms old and the seats didnt get any softer.
HillMan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed