Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2018, 12:06   #361
BHPian

Re: 2012 Chevrolet Cruze : Official Review

I have a 2017 March registered 6-speed Manual LTZ Cruze - one of the last few models sold in India.

To improve the handling I had Ultraracing strut brace installed. The ground clearance is less just after the front wheel arch so I had coil spring buffers inserted on the 4 springs.

2012 Chevrolet Cruze : Official Review-cruze1.jpg

2012 Chevrolet Cruze : Official Review-cruze2.jpg

Last edited by eapen : 5th May 2018 at 12:08.
eapen is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th September 2018, 16:36   #362
BHPian

Hi all,

I am looking to acquire a 2015 Cruze LTZ Auto, which has around 45k kms on the odo. What do I keenly monitor when I inspect the car and what all has a higher chance of going wrong or needing replacement at this km mark?

Looking forward to some feedback!
Old 19th February 2019, 13:18   #363
BHPian

Should I Choose To Cruze??

Hello Bhpians,
I am currently contemplating buying a 2015 or above Chevrolet Cruze Manual LTZ (The facelifted model with newer bumpers and alloys). Since the departure of Chevrolet from India the used car value of the Cruze have really sinked. I have always had a soft spot for the Cruze due to it's brutish looks, amazing power and the hefty kit on offer. I don't think there is a car in the same price bracket that offers the feature list,power output and size offered by the Cruze.
I am aware that it would be a little tougher to maintain as part sourcing would get tougher by the day but I still have an authorized service centre near my place and since it would not be the primary car in my household( as we have a Honda Amaze I-Dtec) small niggles can be lived with.

Overall I would love your opinions on:
1.What to look out for when buying a used example.
2.Stuff that I would potentially have to deal with during the course of ownership.
3.How reliable/unreliable the purchase could turn out to be?
4.What should I be paying for a good example?
5.Is this decision a little too much heart than head?

In second place is the VW Jetta simply because it is very low on kit in comparison to the Cruze but it has a big plus that VW is still present in India(also it has better fuel efficiency), so I would love your thoughts on the Jetta as well and any other offering that you feel is worth taking a look at.
Old 19th February 2019, 14:02   #364
Senior - BHPian

Re: Should I Choose To Cruze??

My BIL recently picked a 2012 LTZ MT with very low mileage of 65k for at almost a throwaway price of 2.1 lacs. He spent another 40k for the clutch replacement. He has already been offered 3.5 lacs for it. He and his driver both prefers the Cruze now over their 2013 Terrano XL Opt.

Though the parts are relatively expensive but I think an not so abused example would be a good bet.
BANDHAV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th February 2019, 14:06   #365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANDHAV View Post
My BIL recently picked a 2012 LTZ MT with very low mileage of 65k for at almost a throwaway price of 2.1 lacs. He spent another 40k for the clutch replacement. He has already been offered 3.5 lacs for it. He and his driver both prefers the Cruze now over their 2013 Terrano XL Opt.

Though the parts are relatively expensive but I think an not so abused example would be a good bet.
Thank you for the insight. I believe the 2012 model was still the 150 ps : 5 speed though, and I personally want the 166 ps : 6 speed. Not really different in terms of maintenance I believe?
Old 19th February 2019, 23:10   #366
BHPian

It's a good car to buy, but my advice would be to look out for an automatic. One, they are much more easy to drive and the way things are moving in the country automatics will fetch a much better price few years down the line when you try and sell it yourself. Last I had heard, although I have never owned one so can't confirm for sure, the automatics were surprisingly more reliable than the manuals. All the best with your search.
Maverick1977 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2019, 23:35   #367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
It's a good car to buy, but my advice would be to look out for an automatic. One, they are much more easy to drive and the way things are moving in the country automatics will fetch a much better price few years down the line when you try and sell it yourself. Last I had heard, although I have never owned one so can't confirm for sure, the automatics were surprisingly more reliable than the manuals. All the best with your search.
Thank you for your input.
I personally am looking to buy the Cruze simply for the driving experience and want to buy the manual because I find manuals more engaging, so automatics are out of consideration.
Old 9th July 2019, 23:36   #368
BHPian

Hi Cruze-rs!

I got hold of a very well maintained 2011 Cruze (White colour) which has done just 58k kms on the odo, here in Hyderabad. Was driven by a doctor for most part of its life and appears the car was loved well.

Asking price was ₹5.3L. I know how crazy it might sound, but in general, used car prices are way too inflated here in Hyderabad (not sure why!!?). And being a well maintained Cruze, the owner is indeed quoting a very high price.

I drove the car, it drives amazingly well but has a clutch that kicks back slightly. AC blows air well, but doesn't really cool the cabin as much. (My dad's 2016 WagonR does a brilliant job in comparison). But the raw power of the car after crossing the 1800 RPM mark brings a huge smile on anyone's face!

I could negotiate and bring the price down to ₹4.3L and will be paying the token advance to the owner tomorrow. I know this is a very high price I'm paying for it, but current Cruze owners, please help if there's something I should be vigilant about with respect to the car itself before going ahead with this purchase.

Mods: Apologies for the long post. You guys are amazing!
TwistOfFate! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2019, 15:06   #369
BHPian

Clutch kick back is normal for that year variant. They softened it in later variants. AC also is weak compared to Maruti and Ford cars. Get it checked with a trusted mechanic before you put down the money.
krish3 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2019, 18:42   #370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistOfFate! View Post
Hi Cruze-rs!

I got hold of a very well maintained 2011 Cruze (White colour) which has done just 58k kms on the odo, here in Hyderabad. Was driven by a doctor for most part of its life and appears the car was loved well.

....... I know this is a very high price I'm paying for it, but current Cruze owners, please help if there's something I should be vigilant about with respect to the car itself before going ahead with this purchase.

Mods: Apologies for the long post. You guys are amazing!
I have a 2016 all new Cruze LT with bilsteins, K&N Filter, Pioneer Touch screen display, upsized pirelli tyres etc, etc... My car has completed 81000 Kms and the asking price as per CARS24 is only 485000.( That too, because of the immaculate condition of the vehicle). I think a good price for the Model and the year that you are going for is maximum 3.5 lacs.
A word of caution though. Cruze parts are not that readily available( takes 3-5 days from ordering in Chennai). Be intuitive and listen to what your car is trying to tell you and you'll save a lot of breakdown scares and have a pleasurable ownership experience.
PS : I am not selling my cruze. Its just that the CARS24 people kept on nagging me for a free appraisal that I went there. There is still not a car in this segment that has the power and the acceleration of Cruze.
Neil Roy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2019, 20:12   #371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy View Post
I have a 2016 all new Cruze LT with bilsteins, K&N Filter, Pioneer Touch screen display, upsized pirelli tyres etc, etc... My car has completed 81000 Kms and the asking price as per CARS24 is only 485000.( That too, because of the immaculate condition of the vehicle). I think a good price for the Model and the year that you are going for is maximum 3.5 lacs.
A word of caution though. Cruze parts are not that readily available( takes 3-5 days from ordering in Chennai). Be intuitive and listen to what your car is trying to tell you and you'll save a lot of breakdown scares and have a pleasurable ownership experience.
PS : I am not selling my cruze. Its just that the CARS24 people kept on nagging me for a free appraisal that I went there. There is still not a car in this segment that has the power and the acceleration of Cruze.
I am the owner of the Cruze being discussed here. Even I got my car evaluated at Cars24. They offered me a little more than 3.5 lakhs. I would not go with their pricing process though. The general talk is they offer less than what you can get for your car in open market.

I agree with you, there is no replacement to Cruze in it's segment. I never drove Octavia.

Did other Cruze owners receive any communication to replace the driver airbag module? I received a letter for my 2011 model. Service center replaced the module free of cost.

Last edited by satish_appasani : 22nd July 2019 at 20:17.
satish_appasani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 12:23   #372
BHPian

Hello,

I have a 2012 Cruze AT having done 57000km. My last service was March 2019 as my car has hardly done 2.5k since. Today I sent the car for service to my regular service center (Metro Chevrolet, Vasan Kunj, Delhi - shutting down very soon). I have been dealing with the in charge there for years and he informed me that the Turbo pipe is extremely damaged and will require a change, costing at company*price near 20k !!. He was of the firm view that in case the pipe is not replaced the car can breakdown at any time. I do not plan to keep this car beyond*May - June 2021 since we will be relocating.

I asked him to just do the routine service (oil, filter, AC cleaning etc.). This itself cost me 12.5k which I thought was quite a lot for a company that does not really have a presence in India. My earlier services for the same works used to cost me under 10k due to the service camps etc.*

Also the shockers*of the car are not in a very good shape and the company charges for replacement of each shocker is 14k. Now considering that I will be using the car for max another 2k km in next 6 months, I do not intend to spend so much on the car. I am not even sure whether there is a turbo pipe issue in the first place ! I do not feel any drop in pick up though my car has been exhaling some black fumes from the exhaust, but which I think may be due to the long pending service.

I was looking for advice in case anyone has faced any such issues with the turbo pipe and whether it is worth getting it done from aftermarket and cost ?*

Please can you advise on any reliable workshops in Delhi that have the expertise on diagnosing and fixing the Cruze. My limited experiences with the after markets (for brake pads etc.) have been extremely disappointing and I have always had to go back to the company workshop for the repeat job.
Also if i get a good price, I may also get the shockers fixed.

Any and all advice will be much appreciated.
Thank you*
kch82 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 17:01   #373
rpm
BHPian

Title headline: Own a Chevrolet Cruze in India? Your car may be part of recall for airbag fault

Source: https://auto.hindustantimes.com/auto...307417281.html

Quote:
Chevrolet Cruze models between 2009 and 2017 are being recalled to check and fix possible faults with the Takata airbag inside.
Quote:
Chevrolet India states around 12,000 models have already been inspected in the past several months.
Old 11th November 2022, 13:44   #374
BHPian

Found a 2017 cruze for sale via my mech. Car is in immaculate condition as per him. It is one of the last few units to be sold. I am yet to receive pictures of the car. Car has run around 45k, and asking is 7 lacs.

Need advice on this. Maintenance will not be an issue is what I feel as we have a Chevy at home and maintenance has never been an issue so far, despite Chevy leaving India half a decade ago.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks