Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2015, 17:43   #331

Re: 2012 Chevrolet Cruze : Official Review

Is there a provision in the car for manual ignition (using the keys)? If so could you please let me know where?

PS: The hole, in the bottom on the storage area below the handbrake, does not seem to have a provision to insert the key (or is it only in my car?).
Old 2nd July 2015, 20:37   #332
Distinguished - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post3071059

Sorry, I have a LT with a key but could you locate the area mentioned and pry it open?
itwasntme is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 13:32   #333
BHPian

I have the 2011 LT and both my keys have broken. The metal has literally broken off the key fob. I managed to weld it back, but I know this is only a temporary solution. When I asked Sundaram Motors in Chennai, they said the only solution is to pay a whopping Rs. 12000 for a replacement key and it will take 2 weeks! I have already driven this car 105,000 kms and don't want to spend any more on this.

Please can someone suggest a cheaper solution. Many thanks in advance.
Old 5th August 2015, 15:03   #334
Distinguished - BHPian

I have heard of aftermarket key-fobs which can be programmed as per specific manufacturers' immobilizers etc. Are those available in India?
Other option is to weld the key separately to another metal object and keep it on your immobilizer/fob's key ring. That way you have both the immobilizer plus a separate metal 'key'.

Let us know what happens!
Old 5th August 2015, 15:45   #335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
I have heard of aftermarket key-fobs which can be programmed as per specific manufacturers' immobilizers etc. Are those available in India?
Other option is to weld the key separately to another metal object and keep it on your immobilizer/fob's key ring. That way you have both the immobilizer plus a separate metal 'key'.

Let us know what happens!

Yes there are key makers who can make the factory keys with immobilizer pair with aftermarket key fobs - I could do it for mine i.e. Swift keys which came with immobilizer. Please check the following thread, I believe such services should be available in your city or else speak to one of the vendors and check if they can help you.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/delhi-...ml#post3660514
Old 5th August 2015, 16:51   #336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome6Boy View Post
I have the 2011 LT and both my keys have broken. The metal has literally broken off the key fob. I managed to weld it back, but I know this is only a temporary solution. When I asked Sundaram Motors in Chennai, they said the only solution is to pay a whopping Rs. 12000 for a replacement key and it will take 2 weeks! I have already driven this car 105,000 kms and don't want to spend any more on this.

Please can someone suggest a cheaper solution. Many thanks in advance.
Hey Chrome6Boy, I believe the broken key that you are referring here is a remote key with immobilizer. 12K to replace this key is nothing unusual . I am in a somewhat similar situation, though for a different car. The previous owner of my Innova handed over to me just one remote key with immobilizer. The spare key was with him, but not traceable. When I asked my Service Advisor what is the cost of making a duplicate remote key. I was like on hearing the money involved. The programmable key costs a whopping 13K and takes 15 days to be delivered once ordered. The car also came with a plain key (with immobilizer), which can be used to open the car and start it. That means it can be used as a regular key, albeit without remote opening. Now the icing on the cake is that this key costs around 2.5K only against the 13K for the key with remote. I have already ordered for one such key, will be ready in two weeks time. I suggest you too ask your dealer for such a plain key (with immobilizer). It would cost you way less than the remote key with immobilizer.
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 16:58   #337
BHPian

I'm trying this out, and I hope this works http://www.ebay.com/itm/131516068387.

Once you get the plain key copied using a laser cutter to match your original key, there is a guide online which teaches you how to program it yourself using only what is in your car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Hey Chrome6Boy, I believe the broken key that you are referring here is a remote key with immobilizer. 12K to replace this key is nothing unusual . I am in a somewhat similar situation, though for a different car. The previous owner of my Innova handed over to me just one remote key with immobilizer. The spare key was with him, but not traceable. When I asked my Service Advisor what is the cost of making a duplicate remote key. I was like on hearing the money involved. The programmable key costs a whopping 13K and takes 15 days to be delivered once ordered. The car also came with a plain key (with immobilizer), which can be used to open the car and start it. That means it can be used as a regular key, albeit without remote opening. Now the icing on the cake is that this key costs around 2.5K only against the 13K for the key with remote. I have already ordered for one such key, will be ready in two weeks time. I suggest you too ask your dealer for such a plain key (with immobilizer). It would cost you way less than the remote key with immobilizer.
Chrome6Boy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2015, 15:16   #338
BHPian

Quote:
I'm trying this out, and I hope this works http://www.ebay.com/itm/131516068387.

Once you get the plain key copied using a laser cutter to match your original key, there is a guide online which teaches you how to program it yourself using only what is in your car.
The key which cost about Rs. 300 worked like a charm! I followed instructions from

Highly recommended!
Chrome6Boy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 12:02   #339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shomshree View Post
I had sent my Chevrolet Cruze to the service center with a problem that the boot door does not shut, they carried out all sorts of diagnosis and reached to a conclusion that the B.C.M of the car is malfunctioning and needs to be replaced. With the B.C.M malfunctioning most of the electronics have stopped working including headlights and taillights.

The B.C.M is located under the passenger seat and perhaps got corrupt cause of water entering into the cabin last year. The company is asking for Rs.50000 for replacing the B.C.M. Is there any way the B.C.M can be repaired or a new B.C.M can be sourced from at a more economical price.
Looks like BCM for my cruze has also gone kaput. Thats what service manager tell me. How much did you pay for new BCM. Please provide any details you have or PM me.
Old 8th December 2015, 12:23   #340
BHPian

A very sad incident happened on 2/12/15 here in Chennai. My http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...lt-2011-a.html was submerged almost to window level while having been parked on the road in the torrential Chennai rains.

When I tried unlocking the car with my remote it didn't work. Then I manually unlocked it and the car went crazy! Headlights, wipers, windshield washers, boot release, horn all went off at the same time and wouldn't go off. I had read we shouldn't start the car while submerged and so I slotted it into neutral, released the handbrake disconnected the battery wire and pushed it into my house.

I let it dry out completely and tried reconnecting the battery but the result was the same, headlights, horn etc all go off.

I contacted Sundaram Motors and they adviced us to immediately register an insurance claim, he also said that it is likely all the sensors are damaged by water and also that the engine would have issues because of water. When I told him my car was a 2011 LT, he said the IDV would be close to 6 lakhs ( it is actually 5.87 lakhs). He said it is very likely the car was a total loss and that the insurance company will pay us out instead of fixing the car.

We were totally taken aback! The car has been a favourite of mine and I was extremely saddened to hear about this possibility.

The insurance company has been very sympathetic but has informed us that they have had a record number of claims and that the assessors are extremely busy and this will take time to even see the car.

My question is that if a car gets submerged do all the sensors die? I hear about several other cars in Chennai like the Maruti Ritz which start up fine once completely dry. Am I unlucky with this or is this the norm with advanced cars like the Cruze?
Old 8th December 2015, 13:31   #341
BHPian

I have heard this ..water does damage the electrical systems in modern cars. Have been advised before that if the water has reached the lower levels of the doors the best thing is to not attempt to drive it until it has been checked by a mechanic. with the kind of situation in chennai the water should have reached the cabin and that means the engine management, transmission operation and other primary control systems would do well with a thorough check. You dont want them acting funny while you drive.
Also sad as it is the Sundaram motors guy may be right. so much water should have effected the car mechanically. Water entry into the engine can lead to severe and expensive damage.

Sorry mate its a wonderful set of wheels but C'est la vie and i am glad you are safe.
Old 8th December 2015, 13:33   #342
BHPian

Quote:
A very sad incident happened on 2/12/15 here in Chennai. My http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...lt-2011-a.html was submerged almost to window level while having been parked on the road in the torrential Chennai rains.

When I tried unlocking the car with my remote it didn't work. Then I manually unlocked it and the car went crazy! Headlights, wipers, windshield washers, boot release, horn all went off at the same time and wouldn't go off. I had read we shouldn't start the car while submerged and so I slotted it into neutral, released the handbrake disconnected the battery wire and pushed it into my house.

I let it dry out completely and tried reconnecting the battery but the result was the same, headlights, horn etc all go off.

I contacted Sundaram Motors and they adviced us to immediately register an insurance claim, he also said that it is likely all the sensors are damaged by water and also that the engine would have issues because of water. When I told him my car was a 2011 LT, he said the IDV would be close to 6 lakhs ( it is actually 5.87 lakhs). He said it is very likely the car was a total loss and that the insurance company will pay us out instead of fixing the car.

We were totally taken aback! The car has been a favourite of mine and I was extremely saddened to hear about this possibility.

The insurance company has been very sympathetic but has informed us that they have had a record number of claims and that the assessors are extremely busy and this will take time to even see the car.

My question is that if a car gets submerged do all the sensors die? I hear about several other cars in Chennai like the Maruti Ritz which start up fine once completely dry. Am I unlucky with this or is this the norm with advanced cars like the Cruze?
Dear Chrome6Boy,

I am so sorry to read this. I would suggest that you let the insurance guys and the service guys look at it. It may be a small issue. Either way, thinking and worrying about it is not solving the issue.

Just stay calm. Do not irritate either the insurance guys or the service guys. Hopefully, you will find a good solution.

On another note - if you remember the movie 'Oh My God', some times insurance companies do not cover the 'acts of God'. I hope you do not face such issues.

Girish Mahajan
GKMahajan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 18:20   #343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKMahajan View Post
Dear Chrome6Boy,

I am so sorry to read this. I would suggest that you let the insurance guys and the service guys look at it. It may be a small issue. Either way, thinking and worrying about it is not solving the issue.

Just stay calm. Do not irritate either the insurance guys or the service guys. Hopefully, you will find a good solution.

On another note - if you remember the movie 'Oh My God', some times insurance companies do not cover the 'acts of God'. I hope you do not face such issues.

Girish Mahajan
/exactly my thoughts. Do the insurance company cover these claims. And any idea on which insurance companies do and the ones that don't.
Old 9th December 2015, 15:29   #344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_and View Post
/exactly my thoughts. Do the insurance company cover these claims. And any idea on which insurance companies do and the ones that don't.
Dear an_and,

As far as I know, ALL insurance contracts talk about the 'act of God' and something like 'war or riot'. All this is in place so that they can avoid paying up when they feel like it. In most cases, I think the surveyor's opinion decides. In such an obvious case like yours, hopefully, you should have no problems with insurance - whether the amount is small or large.

Just my 2 cents

Once more - best of luck.

Girish Mahajan
Old 24th February 2016, 13:27   #345

Chevrolet has revised prices for the facelifted Cruze. The model’s prices have been slashed by up to Rs 86,000 for the top-spec LTZ automatic model. Prices for the facelifted Cruze now start at Rs 13.95 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi) – Rs 73,000 less than its price at the time of launch, and go right up to Rs 16.95 lakh for the top-automatic variant. http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...ed-400408.aspx

SOURCE:- Autocarindia

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks