Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2023, 07:10   #4936
BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
Sorry, if this is considered as spam. Admins, if this is inappropriate, please feel free to remove the comment.

I am looking to buy a Tata Safari Storme or a Safari Dicor in Bangalore. If you know about a well-maintained one, please let me know in DM.
Hi Geo - please PM me if you are still interested

Cheers
Subra
Old 21st November 2023, 18:43   #4937
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subraiyr View Post
Hi Geo - please PM me if you are still interested

Cheers
Subra
Dear All

Quick update. Sold my Tata Safari Storme recently to an interesting personality. Big shout out to Team-BHP Classifieds for helping with the sale. This was probably the quickest that i managed to sell anything < 24 hours from the time listing was made.
subraiyr is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2023, 20:50   #4938
BHPian

Safari Storme horn bid bye bye after ten years. What would be the ideal replacement for it?
Old 9th December 2023, 19:41   #4939
Distinguished - BHPian

Reached this milestone on the Storme today in 10.5 years

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-img_20231209_165618986.jpg
condor is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 27th December 2023, 16:22   #4940
Distinguished - BHPian

And the name is Lakhan !

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-lakhan.jpg

Upgraded the low-beam to Warm White 75W LED's through @Varun560061. Was worth every rupee, and was done just before an outstation trip to Sringeri. The lighting was perfect in the ghats and local running near Sringeri town. In city, I use the leveller to direct the beam downwards, so that the glare to oncoming drivers is minimised.

Last edited by condor : 27th December 2023 at 16:24.
condor is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 27th December 2023, 18:46   #4941
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
And the name is Lakhan !

Upgraded the low-beam to Warm White 75W LED's through @Varun560061. .
Hi Condor, Was this a direct fit or does it require additional wiring.

Thanks
Old 27th December 2023, 19:07   #4942
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kochup View Post
Hi Condor, Was this a direct fit or does it require additional wiring.
It was a direct fit. The connector plugs into the OE connector.
condor is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2024, 19:05   #4943
BHPian

Clutch Servicing & a 2800Km Road Trip

Recently crossed the 93000 Kms mark on my 2014 Astern Black Storme VX 4*4. At about 90000 Kms encountered the clutch slippage in 3rd / 4th gear one day and decided to finally give it for clutch replacement / servicing at my FNG. I knew it was due since the TASS and the FNG had recommended to get the clutch servicing since about the last year. The entire work took a couple of weeks of downtime (initially because of parts unavailability and then the gearbox dismantling and all took a lot of time) but the result was just something that I hadn't expected. The first time I pressed the clutch I almost fell over it because I had been used to putting so much pressure on it earlier . Didn't know a Storme's clutch could also be so light. I mean I have exaggerated a bit but I was so used to and comfortable with the earlier clutch that most likely I would have delayed the clutch replacement for another few months, and so the new clutch was an absolutely different experience. All the servicing plus replacements, oil changes and alignment balancing cost me around INR 25k.

The very next day went on a 2800 Kms drive. Drove from Navi Mumbai to Ooty & Coonoor including a detour to Coimbatore airport on the way to Ooty. The car performed really well on the highways giving me a tank full to tank full mileage of almost 12 KMPL. We left on 21st Dec from Navi Mumbai and reached Ooty on 23rd Dec. Took 3 days to reach at a gingerly pace since on all the days effectively started my drive around noon or post that. This time of the year the traffic in Ooty was crazy and so the mileage during the hill drive came to less than 10 otherwise I believe could have extracted an even better overall trip mileage.

While the Storme performed well during the entire trip, there were 2 – 3 occasions when I couldn’t manage the steep climbs even in the 1st gear. Once it was a steep climb up to a parking entrance on a near hairpin bend from the road and twice it was a straight but steep incline (narrow alleys or lanes) and even while in the 1st gear just couldn’t generate enough power to complete the climb. In both the cases had to resort to using handbrake plus revving up in neutral to be in the higher torque band when moving to 1st gear. In all the instances the car was at full load on both occasions (5 or 6 passengers plus luggage)

Not sure if it was the wrong way that I encountered the inclines or if there is something wrong with the clutch. Infact, started recollecting some posts from earlier on our forum where people had commented about front wheel drive vehicles or lighter vehicles performing better in the hills. Maybe I should have used the 4H or 4L in these conditions. Not really sure and so till I encounter such steep slopes next, would appreciate thoughts of other learned members here. Shall help me encounter these steep inclines better the next time.

Dashboard Storage area lid – This has been a pain for quite a few members that I recollect. Infact, I myself had got the locking pin replaced just about 1.5 years back but even the replacement pin broke a few months back. Have been on the search for the replacement part since then but for this trip managed a very crude jugaad to ensure the lid doesn't create a blind spot (Front Left corner of the car) especially on the mountains. Just created some counterweight on the lid using some marbles + stones from the highway and putting them in one of those small string bags. Has been working well for me till now (15 days and 3000 Kms later). In the picture attached the lid is raised a bit more than usual because the car was parked on a downward incline and hence gravity working against it but otherwise it works well and helps unblock the blind spot for me.

The Ooty trip also turned out to be a Safari get together as the cousins had driven in their new age Safari’s (Pre 2023 facelifts – 1 was a XZA + Dark and the other was XZA + Adventure persona). Unfortunately, due to the small space didn’t get a chance to do a proper photo and the attached photos are the best and only ones that I could manage. We (self and family) did get a couple of hours of ride in the newer Safari’s when we went from Ooty to Coonoor one evening. Feedback from self & family – the comfort level is amazing in the newer Safari, the ride quality seems to be better and more car like but the feeling of spaciousness that the Storme provides is not there in the Safari. When I moved from my usual driver’s seat in the Storme to the shotgun seat in the Safari Dark Edition, I felt that I was sitting in a car and not a SUV. It’s not a bad thing but just an observation having been used to the high seating of Storme for so many years now.

So, will I buy the new age Safari – Mostly Yes, but as a car to fulfill the need for a 5+2 seater tourer and not as a replacement for the Safari Storme. For that it will have to be something else. But in the 5 + 2 seater tourer category the Safari does make a very very strong case for itself. I think the only area of improvement needed is the ASS experience which will remain the most important thing for TAMO till their quality and reliability reaches the Toyota levels.

Talking about reliability, I feel the only reliability issues that I have recently faced are with the central locking system, window mechanisms, front dashboard top storage lid and fuel lid opening mechanism. In the initial days, the ORVMs were replaced on a couple of occasions but all that was warranty replacements. Another issue that is bugging me is the brightness of the odometer console. When I had spoken to someone at TASS he had mentioned that the entire assembly would have to be changed and hence never thought of any replacement but am really looking for a solution. The readability of the odometer is almost 0 in the nighttime. Any suggestions here welcome.

Cheers,
M
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-trip-closing-odo.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-lid-jugaad.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-black-safaris.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-all-safaris.jpg  

zadoom is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th January 2024, 17:14   #4944
Distinguished - BHPian

I think it is time to move on, and sun-set the Storme chapter of my life. A peaceful journey of 1.25L km over 10+ years will likely complete soon. The separation pangs have started. Carefully used over the years, and in turn it has give us many happy memories and quite a few special drives. Thinking of an automatic as a replacement.

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-img_6640.jpg

Last edited by condor : 6th January 2024 at 17:19.
condor is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 21st January 2024, 20:39   #4945
BHPian

Quote:
I think it is time to move on, and sun-set the Storme chapter of my life. A peaceful journey of 1.25L km over 10+ years will likely complete soon. The separation pangs have started.
Attachment 2554910
Your Storme was a reference for mine considering the same age more or less and slightly less running. Any considerations for your future ride ? I had checked out the new Safari and Scorpio N both of which were disappointments.

All the best
kochup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2024, 20:40   #4946
BHPian

Today the Storme did not crank out of the blue after a 10 km drive and parking the car for a couple of hours. All the lights, horn and power windows work but car does not start, it just sort of clicks. Finally jump started the car successfully with the help of a friend and drove back home.

Tried cranking after a 2km drive but the car is still not cranking,

Considering the battery is only 30 months old, wondering if there is any other issues i should check for like alternator?

How should i go about it? If i get a battery tech to check first, they will most probably just say the battery is out and suggest replacement without checking underlying issues if any?
Old 21st January 2024, 22:45   #4947
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Considering the battery is only 30 months old, wondering if there is any other issues i should check for like alternator?
Doesnt the battery have a health indicator ? Check the levels in the battery while also getting the battery checked.

Older Stormes can have a connection issue at the starter - where the power comes from the battery goes into the starter motor. This is a bit hard to reach/ work on unless you know it. This will be in the section between air-filter and engine, about half down (from top-of-bonnet to ground) and half-way lengthwise (of engine bay). With a cold engine, try to push with fingers, and then try to crank.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2024, 00:19   #4948
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zadoom View Post
Dashboard Storage area lid – This has been a pain for quite a few members that I recollect. Infact, I myself had got the locking pin replaced just about 1.5 years back but even the replacement pin broke a few months back.
Try this, have some adhesive magnetic locks, plenty available online in different forms like circular,buttons, rectangular etc. Also have some tiny adhesive handle on top of the lid or even a fixed idol or scale model will do the handle/opener job.Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-screenshot_202401212244502.png

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-screenshot_202401212244432.png

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-screenshot_202401212244342.png
TorqueIndia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2024, 06:56   #4949
BHPian

Quote:
Doesnt the battery have a health indicator ? Check the levels in the battery while also getting the battery checked.
Am not sure how to do this in a sealed battery, will checkout some youtube videos and see if i can find out.

Quote:
Older Stormes can have a connection issue at the starter - where the power comes from the battery goes into the starter motor.
Since the jumpstart was successful, dont think there is a connection issue at the Starter but will check this out anyways.

Somehow have not been lucky with batteries on the Storme and now am starting to think there might be some relation to my fluctuating rpm issue to battery health. Including 1 instance of physical damage to battery, i am already on my fourth battery in 10 years.
Old 22nd January 2024, 08:13   #4950
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Since the jumpstart was successful, dont think there is a connection issue at the Starter but will check this out anyways.
Btw, one doubt - jump start or push start ?

Last edited by condor : 22nd January 2024 at 08:14.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks