Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2022, 12:20   #4861
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

The Storme was having an issue of a deep humming noise that would fill the cabin, especially around the 1500 rpm mark. This is where most city running was in, and had gotten pretty irritating. After checking with my regular mechanic, and also with Varun, got the engine and gearbox mounts replaced. Work was done at Tech Tune Motors in RR Nagar, and total cost about 4.2k. Back to normal now. Odo is at 1.16L

(Tech Tune turned out to be a surprisingly well rated shop, though housed in a semi-permanent structure that had tin-sheets for walls. Saw quite a few VW's, Skodas, and Fords there, apart from the usual Maruti's and Hyundai's.).

Also trying out a K&N filter now.
condor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 22:02   #4862
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
The Storme was having an issue of a deep humming noise that would fill the cabin...... After checking with my regular mechanic, and also with Varun, got the engine and gearbox mounts replaced. ....... Back to normal now. Odo is at 1.16L
\.

Also trying out a K&N filter now.
Wobble during start/stop gone?

The first time I replaced the Engine mounts, the car felt like it lost it's wobbly/shaky truck like character

It was starting like a normal car without any dance.
Old 12th December 2022, 23:32   #4863
BHPian

Few updates since this post (Tata Safari Storme : Official Review)

1.05L and 9 Years up.
Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-safrrisc.jpg

I broke the pipe joints when I had removed the cowl of the car.
Bought Y joints from Maruti Suzuki, fixed the plumbing up, now the windshield washer is working as it should.

want to replace it with a spray type jet that hyundais use. Really love it on my grand i10.

Replaced High beam with the latest get of Nightbreaker laser halogens at the time.
Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-20220906_182935.jpg
I have HID in High beam so can't flash. The Halogens were not worth the price, and it was a massive downgrade in light. But it was definitely a whiter color than normal halogens.
Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-osramnightbreaker.jpg

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-20220905_172530.jpg
Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-20220905_175126.jpg
Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-20220905_175149.jpg

The beam pattern was perfect, and I could flash my high beams, but the brightness of high beam was terrible. Switched back to my HIDs.

I exchanged the low beam HID with High beam HIDs, to put the lower aged bulbs in the low beam, so low beam is a little brighter now.
Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-20220901_195258.jpg

AMazon graciously refunded me my Life's savings after taking the osrams back.

Got rear ended,
ended up with a new left tail light, new left rear bumper, new rear bottom black bumper with exhaust tips. Car looks brand new in that corner. All work done at Malik Bowempally, TASC. Top notch Paint and paintjob. Lovely finish.
Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-cleanaf.jpg

Got all the scuffs and scratches on the rest of the car painted too, but at a cheaper place since it was not covered under insurance.
-both side steps
-rear right corner bumper
-front bumper
Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-paint.jpg
Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-paint2.jpg
paint didnt match, finish isn't great, but at least there are no scratches visible, so I don't mind. It was reasonably cheap too I guess. Nothing much to say.

Brake bleeder nipples disintegrated, need to order new, will probably order MGP.
Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-bleednip.jpg

Went to a concert with a bunch of friends,
Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-snake.jpg

they broke my 12v socket. It was flimsy to begin with. Having trouble finding the illuminated socket, I think I have to buy non illuminated and reuse the old LED in the socket.
Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-brokesocket.jpg

LED keyring has gone kaput, it was flickering for a few days before eventually giving in.

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-20210723_032436.jpg

Truck has crossed 1.05L. So engine's just been run in. Will cross 2k rpm now.
Been using the ring road a lot, and might sell the honda, so using it for it's frugal engine. 30kmpl daily, who doesn't want that?
Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-cityled.jpg
Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-cityorr.jpg
oil in storme is around 8k old. Will maintain 10k interval for all filters and Engine oil now.

Spent Air Force day on an Air Strip with the beast.
Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-taxi.jpg
Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20221212-22.12.57.jpg

Fun continues 9 years down the line.

Was teaching some kids how to draw circles.

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-lakedonut.jpg

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-163613955201.jpeg

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-sel.jpg

Took a good long TD of the Scorpio, Seems to be the only reasonable upgrade except for the Fortuner. Which I arbitrarily hate for many stupid reasons.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-20220905_160617.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-20220905_160630.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-20220905_162014.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-mates.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-pump.jpg  

Last edited by viXit : 12th December 2022 at 23:39.
viXit is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th December 2022, 17:38   #4864
BHPian

Great to see the Safari munching miles!

Since you test drove the Scorpio N, were you able to judge body roll and ride quality compared to the Storme? Would it be possible for you to rate them both on a scale of 10?

I found the Storme to be perfectly alright in terms of rear passenger comfort, but the outgoing Scorpio rolled and tumbled way too much for my liking. The Storme was leagues ahead of the Scorpio. Have things changed with the Scorpio N?
Sanidhya mukund is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2022, 02:51   #4865
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanidhya mukund View Post
Great to see the Safari munching miles!

Since you test drove the Scorpio N, were you able to judge body roll and ride quality compared to the Storme? Would it be possible for you to rate them both on a scale of 10?

I found the Storme to be perfectly alright in terms of rear passenger comfort, but the outgoing Scorpio rolled and tumbled way too much for my liking. The Storme was leagues ahead of the Scorpio. Have things changed with the Scorpio N?
It would be fair to say I did a side by side comparison.
But the comparison itself would be unfair because the storme had all that age and wear and tear under its belt

I was blown away by the ride quality on the ScorpioN.
I drove it on some broken streets of alwal that I take in storme regularly. And it performed just as well as storme if not a little better, but without any noise,shakes or rattles.

I would say it "glides" over imperfections, BIG IMPERFECTIONS. Just the way storme would do over similar over, just without that much drama or roll. Unless both wheels take the bump at the same time, storme rolls a lot. Scorpio doesn't have that problem. Which itself puts the scorpioN, much ahead of the storme in that department.

Scorpio felt much better in the body roll department.
The car is noticeably stiffer but in a very nice , damped way. Storme rolls quite a bit but you don't feel it sometimes. You just feel the steering being loose and not responsive, because instead of steering, its rolling. I take the ramps to the ring road everyday and am familiar with the feeling. It definitely feels like there isn't that much roll. But the ScorpioN is again much better in that department. The car feels light and responsive to your inputs. No unnecessary buffer/roll before it steers.

In Scorpio, on bumps ,You can feel the suspension doing its work, this is a little difficult to describe. But the storme feels a little too heavy and wallowy, and too soft at times.

The Scorpio balances that very well.

To put it simply, I found everything about the scorpioN's ride to be an upgrade over the storme, especially the way it steers and handles. I was giving it the beans in the TD.

If not for the Xylo like rear, and storme still serving us well, Mahindra would have my booking.

Out of ten?

If storme was a 10 in ride quality, the ScorpioN is definitely a 12 in my books

Handling? I don't want my storme to feel bad, let's just say I'm proud of how far Mahindra has come.
viXit is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st January 2023, 16:20   #4866
Distinguished - BHPian

Another routine servicing completed for the Storme, with the odo now at 116980 km.

Apart from Oil & filters change, also replaced the clutch + pressure plate (90k since last change), and the Timing Belt kit (after 5 years post last change). The belt had frayed, and the time interval of change having come up, we completed this too. Total cost came to about 37k. Coolant was also replaced as part of the Timing belt work.
condor is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2023, 14:57   #4867
BHPian

Hi Guys,
I am looking for the OEM Alloy wheels that come with VX. The car has been with me for a while and want to make few minor changes to refresh the look a little bit since I am still in love with it.
Any leads please? I am from Hyderabad
Rajeev
Old 2nd January 2023, 22:48   #4868
BHPian

Quote:
Another routine servicing completed for the Storme, with the odo now at 116980 km.

Apart from Oil & filters change, also replaced the clutch + pressure plate (90k since last change), and the Timing Belt kit (after 5 years post last change). The belt had frayed, .
Hi condor,

I was planning to change my clutch too.
It's got life, but it is quite hard and the bite is too high.

Little difficult to use.

How much has the clutch feel changed after new clutch?
Is it softer now?
Old 2nd January 2023, 22:51   #4869
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajismine View Post
Hi Guys,
I am looking for the OEM Alloy wheels that come with VX. The car has been with me for a while and want to make few minor changes to refresh the look a little bit since I am still in love with it.
Any leads please? I am from Hyderabad
Rajeev
you can buy wheel here

part number is 540740103801

You can also place an order at the TASC
Old 3rd January 2023, 10:54   #4870
BHPian

Quote:

Apart from Oil & filters change,
Hi Condor,

Could you please confirm what Oil is being used nowadays, last week during my service TASS used Mobil Super 3000 which seems to be a fully synthetic oil (limited google search). IIRC, they always used mineral oil.

Thanks.
Old 3rd January 2023, 15:09   #4871
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post
How much has the clutch feel changed after new clutch?
General response: Fresh engine oil, New tyres and new clutch - all three always feel good when new. And then one gets used to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kochup View Post
Could you please confirm what Oil is being used nowadays, last week during my service TASS used Mobil Super 3000 which seems to be a fully synthetic oil (limited google search). IIRC, they always used mineral oil.
I always use mineral oil. The service centre has put in GTX Pro 15w40 (Castrol) mineral oil during the service.

Check in your invoice, the price for the oil. THat will confirm if it was synthetic or not.
Old 3rd January 2023, 16:07   #4872
BHPian

Quote:

Check in your invoice, the price for the oil. THat will confirm if it was synthetic or not.
Thanks Condor,

Infact i saw this within the invoice and was surprised.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-servicebill.png  

Old 3rd January 2023, 17:35   #4873
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kochup View Post
Infact i saw this within the invoice and was surprised.
Checked my invoice, and I was charged at about Rs 376 per litre. So less than Rs 2000 more than what I have paid, you have got a better grade oil.

Not a problem, me thinks.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2023, 08:42   #4874
BHPian

Driver side High beam bulb blown. Blaster and Igniter fine, bulb damaged.
Replaced with Premium Philips halogen that @pratyushforza had lying around.

Added Osram LED H7 to cart. Any recommendations/reviews on that ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post
I am facing a serious issue with my car.
The Roof AC unit in my car is making a terrible, sharp and loud whistling noise that is making the car unbearable to be in.

Had an FNG disassemble and assemble the rear AC unit. They found a couple loose things and put it back. IDK the details but the noise left along with Rs.300 that I gave the FNG.

Whistling sound it gone, but slight gargling/whooshing still present. I don't mind at all.

But then the issue was also seasonal. Gotta wait till summer. But SitRep as of now says issue fixed
Old 25th January 2023, 10:04   #4875
Distinguished - BHPian

Almost 10 years, and 1.178L km now. Went for an emission test yesterday. The testing guy says - Sir, there is no smoke !

On a related note, this was at a different centre. At my regular centre, it used to be a 10=-15 min affair - that machine never seemed to get the readings quickly. This time went to a different centre, and was done in about 2-3 minutes.
condor is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks