Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2021, 15:20   #4711
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
The trip meters reset back to zero automatically when you cross 2000 km.
Quote:
I am not sure if it's a setting specific to Trip B or even Trip A will also max out at 2000 km.
To me, this seems like a very normal behavior. Few cars have trip meters reset soon after 999 due to the limitation in the digits. I have seen some cars where trip meters reset after 4999 too.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 15:37   #4712
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
To me, this seems like a very normal behavior. Few cars have trip meters reset soon after 999 due to the limitation in the digits. I have seen some cars where trip meters reset after 4999 too.
But aren't digital trip meters free from digits limitation? Atleast it can hold up to 9999 km even if it can't accommodate 10000 km.

My kwid's trip meter has seen 8000 km without any resetting. Even ciaz has seen 4000+ km before I reset it back to 0.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 15:48   #4713
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
But aren't digital trip meters free from digits limitation? Atleast it can hold up to 9999 km even if it can't accommodate 10000 km.
Believe this is how manufacturers would want them to be and nothing else. Trip meter to be treated a trip meters .

But I agree that it should at least have an upper limit of 5k or at max 10k km. These days many easily manage to go on trips that are 2000+ km anyway.

PS: Ciaz I think will reset after 4999. Not sure though. In Ertiga I usually reset after every tankful. But I know that it's limit is beyond 3000km at least and should be around 4999 too. Never tried.

Last edited by paragsachania : 23rd April 2021 at 15:50.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 12:49   #4714
Distinguished - BHPian

My Storme completes 8 years today, with 98040 on the odo.

In these 8 years, it has been regular services, a couple of issues, 2 battery replacements, 1 tyre change, one timing belt in the 5th year.

FE remains steady, as I go about my regular running around. Some memorable trips too.
condor is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 14:18   #4715
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
My Storme completes 8 years today, with 98040 on the odo.

In these 8 years, it has been regular services, a couple of issues, 2 battery replacements, 1 tyre change, one timing belt in the 5th year.

FE remains steady, as I go about my regular running around. Some memorable trips too.
Congrats Condor. May both of you enjoy many more kilometers together!

Mine is only around 40,000 km behind you, hot on your heels.

Speaking of battery, my original company fitted one lasted beautifully. I finally replaced it in June 2019. That's well over 6 years. February 2013 Storme.

The replacement conked off last week when my family (son driving) had gone to meet some friends on their farm in Karjat.

Got a jump start and drove straight back to Pune. When he stopped the truck at home, and tried to restart it, it would not start. In spite of the 130 km drive.

With the lockdown the warranty replacement is taking time so I'm driving y old Baleno. But I'm very displeased with such a short battery life (less than 2 whole years, when the previous Amaron went for 6+).

What is the experience of you and others here on the batteries? Is Exide preferred over the Amaron? Any tips on which model works best/longest?

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 15:53   #4716
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
What is the experience of you and others here on the batteries? Is Exide preferred over the Amaron? Any tips on which model works best/longest?
Thanks, Doc.

Batteries ? I guess these work in a range. Not sure how it works. You got a good run there with 6+ years. I have seen 4 & 3 years. But a friend who has a swift diesel, doesnt focus much on maintenance, doesnt drive as much we do, had his battery last for about 7.5 years. I dont know what causes such differences.

My experience ? I will rather bet on Amaron. First one was Amaron but lasted me for about 4 years. I replaced that with an Exide, but the thing died exactly after the 3 year warranty expired. So back to Amaron now.

I think I did a mistake with the Exide that I did not check the levels. Else the Storme was never idle for long, including last year during the lockdown.
condor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2021, 02:37   #4717
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobsam View Post
Al And then when he drove it and climbed the RPM to 3500 mark and suddenly dropped the throttle, Storme felt completely chocked and normalized after a few seconds. He said that it seams injectors need servicing.
Since safari Storme is in Mumbai, planning to get the injectors serviced. Spoke to Kantibhai at regent motors some time back and he suggested me to get it done from Mohan Raut, Naveen Diesel, worli. Any feedbacks about them and suggestions would help me greatly.

Last edited by vb-saan : 30th May 2021 at 10:08. Reason: Quote tags fixed
Old 7th June 2021, 21:53   #4718
BHPian

Quote:
Since safari Storme is in Mumbai, planning to get the injectors serviced.
So after cross checking with a few people, I sent the safari Storme to Mohan at Naveen Diesel. He serviced all the injectors. Now the issue that’s cropping up is black smoke on high rpm and a cluttering sort of noise from engine. According to him, it’s due to wiring issue in Air mask/MAF or sensor not working. Not sure about the correct name. The vehicle is not probably getting the air that it needs. So he advised me to take it to TASS Nerul and get it done.
Also, due to rodent issue lots of debris was found inside the filter. Along with that there is a crack in radiator pipe also. Taking the vehicle tomorrow.

Please guide.

Last edited by Sheel : 8th June 2021 at 08:24. Reason: Please space out post a punctuation mark. Thanks.
Old 10th June 2021, 08:17   #4719
BHPian

Quote:
So after cross checking with a few people, I sent the safari Storme to Mohan at Naveen Diesel. He serviced all the injectors. Now the issue that’s cropping up is black smoke on high rpm and a cluttering sort of noise from engine. According to him, it’s due to wiring issue in Air mask/MAF or sensor not working.
Error code image enclosed is from the guy who serviced the injectors (Naveen Diesel).

Update: So I took Storme to TASS, Nerul on Tuesday. Told them about the sound and change of two pipes. They scanned the vehicle and found error codes relevant to injectors along with error codes 0500 and 0501. They erased the codes after confirming from me that the injectors are serviced. The main filter hose was not available so only radiator hose was changed. According to them now the ride is clear without issue.
But the cluttering sound was still there and when the accelerator was pressed to 4K rpm it makes a chocking sound and shuts down. They again said that it seams to be injectors issue only. So at the end of day one no progress. They said that they will call the authorised injector guy with the softwares and scan the vehicle the next day at 10:00 and asked me to come again.
So the next day, I am at the centre and at 12:30 the guy turns up. He again scans the vehicle with his softwares and says that the injectors and fuel pump are ok and it is not related to them. He only gets two error code 0500 and 0501 which are related to speed sensors. According to TASS, this issue is not related to these error codes where as I feel it is. So they all don't know what to do. They said that if I have time they can open the tappet cover and turbo and check it. My mistake here since I had to travel to me hometown due to my commitments. So paid for the work started for home. Crossed the Vashi bridge and there was some rotating type sound and pickup was dropping. This was not regular. Only happening some times. So took a u-turn and royally paid the toll again and when back to TASS, Nerul. They said that they will check the vehicle tomorrow now.
So this is my two days of precious time spent without any correct diagnoses.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-storme-scan.jpg  

Last edited by Sheel : 10th June 2021 at 10:17. Reason: Broken quote tag fixed.
Old 25th June 2021, 16:30   #4720
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday on the way back from work, a company bus hit me from behind.

The grey un-painted fiber cladding below the painted central section of the bumper is broken.

The part that has two holes for the twin tail pipe chrome rims.

Do you guys have any idea how much it costs?

Cheers, Doc
Old 25th June 2021, 21:06   #4721
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Yesterday on the way back from work, a company bus hit me from behind.

The grey un-painted fiber cladding below the painted central section of the bumper is broken.

The part that has two holes for the twin tail pipe chrome rims.

Do you guys have any idea how much it costs?

Cheers, Doc
You may not get the part separately, it's better if you get it plastic welded from inside (the side not facing the road) and get it colored black or something.
AirbusCapt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2021, 23:14   #4722
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirbusCapt View Post
You may not get the part separately, it's better if you get it plastic welded from inside (the side not facing the road) and get it colored black or something.
It's available. 11,500 bucks!

Cheers, Doc
Old 20th July 2021, 13:51   #4723
Distinguished - BHPian

The Storme reached a milestone today:

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-storme-1l.jpg

A brief summary:
Duration: 8 years, 2 months, 22 days
I would have reached this earlier, but for very little use for more than year during 2016-2017.

Total Fuel consumed: 9279.34 litres
Total cost of fuel: 5.59 L
Average: 10.77 kmpl

I have noted almost all the refuel details, but I think I have missed a few. Still, the numbers wont change much.

Maintenance:

Wheel Alignment Issue:

Had a very bad left pull issue at delivery time, and it wasnt solved by TASS though the matter was escalated to the regional service engineer. They kept saying that it was due to the Michelin Latitudes that I had put in. This was finally resolved through Wheel alignment at Madhu's Langford road, where Mr Gopal supervised the work, and ensured a clean alignment. Though I have not been going there of late, I do remember and thank the guys there for being able to do what TASS wasnt.

Parts & servicing
Clutch changed under warranty at about 26k
Brake pads changed at about 48k (Gold AMC)
Steering was hard, and has been serviced around the 48k mark
Timing belt changed a little after the 4.5 year mark.
Servicing is pretty much standard stuff, as per the book: and regular oils. No synthetic stuff.

Tyres changed at 65k - Michelin - put in immediately after Delivery.
Second set going good after 35k of running - Yokohama Geolandar AT

Best FE has been around 14kmpl on the Bangalore-Hubli stretch, with Reliance diesel + System-D.

Preferred diesel is Reliance, followed by IOCL. If these are not available, then BP/HP/MRPL.
I avoid Shell and Essar diesel.

Has been serviced at Prerana Motors, Kudlu Gate, Bangalore. Couple of instances were at Prerana in Peenya, like the Steering unit issue.

And thank you to all the people there who have supported me through the years - some of them are: Sunil, Deshwant Rao, Alex, Mohan, Praveen, Karthik, and a few others. Some of the guys are still in touch though they have moved out of the dealership.

And of course, Thanks to our own @Varun560061 who has helped me with stuff on the Storme - projectors in the fog lamps, the Audio set-up, and some more. He is the first guy I turn to these days when I want to ask something, or if I have any doubts.

And before anyone asks - no, no plans to change. The Storme is running beautifully. Will see how long I can stretch before another clutch replacement.
condor is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 11:38   #4724
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
The Storme reached a milestone today:
Duration: 8 years, 2 months, 22 days
I would have reached this earlier, but for very little use for more than year during 2016-2017.

And before anyone asks - no, no plans to change. The Storme is running beautifully. Will see how long I can stretch before another clutch replacement.
Congratulations Condor. Wishing you many more kms.

I have finished close to 87k now and share almost similar maintenance and replacements as you. An issue that has been bothering me is the injectors, they have been ticking very loudly and it is embarrassing sometimes when in company of friends with quieter cars.

I think the good health of your injectors can be attributed to the System D and good Reliance diesel.
Have you ever had any issues with the Injectors?

I remember you posting about the glow plugs, what happened to that? did you get them replaced?
viXit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 12:14   #4725
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post
An issue that has been bothering me is the injectors, they have been ticking very loudly ..

I think the good health of your injectors can be attributed to the System D and good Reliance diesel.
Have you ever had any issues with the Injectors?
Thanks, viXit.

No such issues with the injectors. Regarding the glow plugs, I had asked for a scan during my last service and the technician had said no errors found. I dont find any issues in starting /running, and also my FE has been steady. So I am in a wait-and-watch mode right now. May be during the next service in Jan end, unless I notice a change in behaviour in the mean time.

Yes, I am very careful about the fuel I use. Since Reliance bunks are few and far-in-between, I typically stick to known IOC bunks most of the time.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks