Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2019, 11:27   #4561
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

How would you compare the 4X4 of the Storme as compared to the previous versions?
Is it problematic? In case I want to buy a used 4X4 Storme, is that an avoidable venture, or can a good enough mechanic let me know if the system has some major faults?
Any tell-tales which say that "Avoid this one"?
Old 25th November 2019, 11:28   #4562
Senior - BHPian

My Storme has clocked over 81K Km in little over 52 months. I have had to make a few trips over the last months so the Kms are piling on at a faster rate.Highways are where the beast come into its own. It is steady and comfortable.

I had replaced the original Bridgestone Duellers with Continental Cross Contacts AT's when the Odo was at 71 K . 4 Months and 10 K later the tyres are acquitting themselves very well. They have been used on tarmac except for a bit of off- roading. I will be using them in Desert conditions later in December ( I will be going for the SOUL Iconic Thar Drive ) and I have never done dune bashing in my beast. Let us see how deoes the Storme with AT tyres and 4X4 fare in the deserts. It did very well in snow during my trip to Spiti earlier in February this year.
rajneeesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 11:36   #4563
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
How would you compare the 4X4 of the Storme as compared to the previous versions?
Is it problematic? In case I want to buy a used 4X4 Storme, is that an avoidable venture, or can a good enough mechanic let me know if the system has some major faults?
Any tell-tales which say that "Avoid this one"?
I have not used any other 4X4 so I can't really compare. Storme offers great comfort and a go-anywhere capability which no other product offers a this price point. At the same time you feel free to throw her over off- road trails without bothering too much ( which is the case with all the 40 Lakh vehicles like the Endeavour) as the repairs if required will not really kill you. It may not be a mountain goat like the Gypsy or the Thar, but then these are not suitable for everyday use.

4X4 Stormes are not really easy to find. You may tap into the local SOUL Whattsapp groups to find one which is well maintained and trouble free.

Last edited by rajneeesh : 25th November 2019 at 11:42.
rajneeesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 12:52   #4564
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Do ensure that the dust-caps are good & hard. If they are rubber based, the HID wires going through them cause tiny movements & the beam edge vibrates on rough roads.

This is how the new car itch starts...
Thanks, Reinhard. But even standard replacement dust caps are not available for Storme.

Btw, no plans to uprade. Pretty clear on this. Because - the hunt is on for a Telcoline. Or at least a Tata Mobile.
condor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 15:53   #4565
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Thanks, Reinhard. But even standard replacement dust caps are not available for Storme.
Of course. That's same for all TML cars. I just don't understand why. AliExp is the only reliable place to get aftermarket replacement caps other than local car spares wholesale dealers who can provide "similar" replacements.
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Btw, no plans to uprade. Pretty clear on this. Because - the hunt is on for a Telcoline. Or at least a Tata Mobile.
Yes! Robert Langdon on the grail quest!
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 16:00   #4566
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
. AliExp is the only reliable place to get aftermarket replacement caps other than local car spares wholesale dealers who can provide "similar" replacements.
I dont think even they have these caps.

The caps for Storm's HLs are a different size. With the low numbers, even discarded /damaged head-lamps are hard to find. We have even enquired for someone who could make these, may be a 100 pcs and distribute amongst members - but no go.

If you think you know a source for the caps, do let me know.

Quote:
Please ping @Fortuner71. He was one of the early ones to get a 4x4 Storme, and is happy with this Storme.

Last edited by Sheel : 25th November 2019 at 17:28. Reason: Back to back posts.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 23:14   #4567
BHPian

Quote:
Everything in Storme 4x4 is similar to other versions. Only thing which fails in 4x4 is the electronic actuator and selector sensor in the transfer case. These can be easily addressed, it is usually dust and water making it not work as it should (no splash guard).

The other things to be checked if the car has run more than 60k kms.
* Injectors (check for excessive knocking/ticking noise)
* Front and rear struts (they often leak)
* water pump, timing belt
* Check for rat bites, its very tough to solve the electrical issues in Storme
varun560061 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 10:33   #4568
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varun560061 View Post
Everything in Storme 4x4 is similar to -snip --- in Storme
Thanks! That's very helpful. What I'm also hoping for, that even if some bits are wrong and come through after I buy the car, except the wiring part, the safari will be much easier to fix up as compared to my current car. I have a 2k5 Tucson, and there are not many guys who are able to source parts for it. A safari will not have either the non availability, or the cost factor that a Tucson has, I'm sure.
Willing to be corrected here than proven wrong later, though.
Old 26th November 2019, 10:51   #4569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks! That's very helpful. What I'm also hoping for, that even if some bits are wrong and come through after I buy the car, except the wiring part, the safari will be much easier to fix up as compared to my current car. I have a 2k5 Tucson, and there are not many guys who are able to source parts for it. A safari will not have either the non availability, or the cost factor that a Tucson has, I'm sure.
Willing to be corrected here than proven wrong later, though.
Develop a good rapport with the TASS technicians and the Service advisor. A lot of them are very good and are Safari experts. Most people don't give them the respect they deserve or even interact with them. If you do that you will be surprised by the service you get. Even today TASS is more relationship driven and less process driven. That is the reason why I always drop my car at the workshop myself, have a chat with the SA's and I have never been disappointed.
rajneeesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 11:10   #4570
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
. That is the reason why I always drop my car at the workshop myself, have a chat with the SA's and I have never been disappointed.
This is a very true tip to extract good service.

I used to do that with my previous Safari and have always gotten perfect services. The current Storme is being driven and sent to service by one of my driver's due to lack of time. I need to restart the habit of driving myself to the A.S.S.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2019, 10:40   #4571
BHPian

Can someone confirm the Storme's PCD, please? Does it remain the same as that of the Dicor- 160?
Also, Is the wheel hub diameter different from that of the Dicor?
Old 27th November 2019, 10:52   #4572
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva View Post
Can someone confirm the Storme's PCD, please? Does it remain the same as that of the Dicor- 160?
Yes - PCD is 160(x5) on the Storme.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva View Post
Also, Is the wheel hub diameter different from that of the Dicor?
I'm not sure, but would be surprised if they created a new hub spec with same PCD. Would be logical to use the same one from Dicor.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2019, 11:23   #4573
BHPian

Quote:
Yes - PCD is 160(x5) on the Storme.

I'm not sure, but would be surprised if they created a new hub spec with same PCD. Would be logical to use the same one from Dicor.

Exactly my thoughts too. The steel wheels of the Dicor and the Storme looks the same, however, the hub of the Storme is of a smaller dia, though.

EDIT: The wheels are different . So the hubs are different too.

Last edited by jeeva : 27th November 2019 at 11:25.
Old 29th November 2019, 14:01   #4574
Team-BHP Support

A friend's Storme has done 1.4L kms and he happened to have his first breakdown in all these kilometers.

Issue was EGR. When he told me, I asked him, that, why wasn't it cleaned at 80K or 100K, as per him, Storme has an electronic EGR and other vehicles say for eg - Scorpio] have mechanical EGR's.

Any one else had this issue and what is with electronic EGR? [or have the technicians taken him for a ride?]
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2019, 14:53   #4575
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
A friend's Storme has done 1.4L kms and he happened to have his first breakdown in all these kilometers.

Issue was EGR. When he told me, I asked him, that, why wasn't it cleaned at 80K or 100K, as per him, Storme has an electronic EGR and other vehicles say for eg - Scorpio] have mechanical EGR's.

Any one else had this issue and what is with electronic EGR? [or have the technicians taken him for a ride?]
The Storme EGR valve has ECU controlled solenoid. So yes its electonic. I have seen it in person during a service visit when it was being installed for a car in a bay.

I believe these electronic controlled ones became pretty standard around early 2000s so I'm a bit shocked that the Scorpio uses a legacy type pneumatic one still . More surprised since both engines had their roots in the same AVL block in previous generations of the mHawk & Dicor.

However - the biggest joke in that response is not electronic EGR valve. Not cleaning the valve earlier because it is electronic is simply .
Valve is the same either way! Electronic valve just actuates it "smartly" and can even recirculate at idling conditions with minimal air pressure using the solenoid. If my theory is correct - EGR valve would have to be cleaned MORE in electronic models as they recirculate more than legacy designs.

I guess he is looking at a bill of around 20k INR for the fix. Would it be possible to find what exactly "failed"? I'm guessing the solenoid called quits...

Last edited by Reinhard : 29th November 2019 at 15:02.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks