Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2020, 14:43   #4606
BANNED

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Cross posting since no update there:

Around the end of fourth year of ownership there was this knocking sort of sound coming from the engine which would be more evident when the ac was switched on. Checked at TASS and different people. They all said that It seams that there is some fuel related dirt which gets clogged in interjectors and it needs to be cleaned. Now I follow a very simple concept and that is if something is not broken it doesn't needs to be fixed specially in relation with TASS. The sound was not that a big disturbance. I have been using Adon-D for some time now for that purpose but to avail.

Secondly when it comes to mileage on long route, the best I get with Adon-d is 12.5. I keep changing the gears where it is immediately needed. For cruising I try to keep the rpm at 2k with speed at 95-100. Only once I got the mileage of 13.5 between Mumbai to Ahmedabad super roads.

Any suggestions from Storme owners for the two areas of concern.
Old 24th June 2020, 11:57   #4607
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobsamu View Post

Around the end of fourth year of ownership there was this knocking sort of sound coming from the engine which would be more evident when the ac was switched on. Checked at TASS and different people. They all said that It seams that there is some fuel related dirt which gets clogged in injectors and it needs to be cleaned. Now I follow a very simple concept and that is if something is not broken it doesn't needs to be fixed specially in relation with TASS. The sound was not that a big disturbance. I have been using Adon-D for some time now for that purpose but to avail.
At 77k now and facing the same issue along with a few more issues detailed in previous post on this thread itself.

There's a sense of relief when you know many others face the issue and you're not left alone to go figure what the issue is.

Been reading about the issue for a while now on the forum and according to many others and TASS it's just clogged injectors.

I believe it happened about three years back too, and dad said that they changed the injectors and it was gone. Kanpur fuel quality might be to blame.
Now in Hyd and been using the same pump 80% of the time but I guess it needs a change if it's the reason for the clogged injectors.

Car is due for servicing and will update regarding the noise after either an injector overhaul or replacement within the week.

ViXiT
Old 24th June 2020, 15:38   #4608
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post
At 77k now and facing the same issue along with a few more issues detailed in previous post on this thread itself.

There's a sense of relief when you know many others face the issue and you're not left alone to go figure what the issue is.
Is there a possibility that due this clogged injector the mileage would also be effected?

Last edited by moralfibre : 24th June 2020 at 15:43. Reason: Fixing quote tag.
Old 24th June 2020, 20:20   #4609
BHPian

Knocking sound (clogged injectors??)

Quote:
Is there a possibility that due this clogged injector the mileage would also be effected?
It sounds possible
but without proof or knowledge , I am not sure.
But because the car is made in such a way that we have the best of power and mileage possible, I’m 100% sure that we are losing something somewhere because there’s a component working in a way it wasn’t intended to.

My guess would be that fuel wouldn’t be able to Flow properly so the air to fuel ratio will definitely be messed up which will affect performance .

But don’t take my word for it as it is just a guess,
Will wait for someone more educated to reply to our posts
viXit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2020, 16:24   #4610
BHPian

My Storme is in TASS for the 4th year service and I was informed by the SA that the front discs need replacement, as the thickness of the discs is quite low. The brake pads however have good life left in them.
While I couldn't find any tell tale signs or abnormal scratches on the disc (it feels smooth on the surface too), SA is suggesting that since the thickness has reduced, the lip portion (highlighted in pic below) is more pronounced/projected now; he's giving it max 3K kms of more life left in the discs. Interestingly, the rear discs don't seem to have this kind of setup.

I am not able to buy the logic for few reasons -

1. The car is in its 4th year and has not even completed 50K (its at 491xx still). One set of pads were changed in 2nd year.
2. I have not heard any abnormal squealing sounds and the braking never felt like it was missing any bite.
3. Saw some videos on youtube; the lip and its projection is at about .5 to 1mm anyway, from the disc. Question is by how much should this lip project and is it a right measure to identify a worn disc?

I've asked them to leave the discs alone for now as I wasnt convinced; what do you guys think!?
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-img_20200627_151044__01.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-img_20200627_151521.jpg  

Last edited by avinash_m : 27th June 2020 at 16:29.
avinash_m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2020, 17:12   #4611
BHPian

Quote:

Around the end of fourth year of ownership there was this knocking sort of sound coming from the engine which would be more evident when the ac was switched on. Checked at TASS and different people. They all said that It seams that there is some fuel related dirt which gets clogged in interjectors and it needs to be cleaned. Now I follow a very simple concept and that is if something is not broken it doesn't needs to be fixed specially in relation with TASS. The sound was not that a big disturbance. I have been using Adon-D for some time now for that purpose but to avail.
I was owning a Safari from 2010 to 2015. It was a 2.2 Dicor engine which i assume is same in Storm may be with a different state of tune. At around 90K kms i used to hear a knocking sound from engine mainly at idle and when load is applied like switching ON A/C. The sound became louder as i crossed 1.1 L kms. This was coming from the injectors. It had Delphi injectors and many people told me that its a common issue with Delhpi units as they have a piston like movement inside and due to play generated over a period of use they make this sound.

Sometimes a reset of your engine ECU software will reduce this sound since the ECU maps will be reset to default. Had done twice. (Not sure, experts can comment)

Word of Caution from my experience: I ended up replacing the whole engine head while trying to service my injectors. Reason, Injectors though a press fit into the engine head with retaining ring wont come out as they almost got welded sort of bonding to the head. I was told this was because of different materials being used for making head and injector and trying a removal after so many kms. We tried for almost two weeks with different methods initially using fluids from outside and finally press removing from inside of the head in a lathe which damaged the head. Here in Bangalore i believe they service these injectors for Rs 2500, not sure if it was for a set of 4. Delphi itself has a service centre.

Posting my experience if it helps.
ameaa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2020, 08:27   #4612
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_m View Post

I've asked them to leave the discs alone for now as I wasnt convinced; what do you guys think!?
This is a known TASS scam. They love to ask you to change all discs and brake pads, it brings them easy money. When I owned Tata vehicles, they used to try this stunt with me, I never fell for it and had no problems with the brakes throughout my ownership period.

On the other front, injectors will knock in older cars, especially the ones in which diesel additives have been added. These additives work like detergents and wash off carbon build up which were acting like seals. Without these carbon seals, the worn out heads and linings will leak leading to lower performance, knocking and poor fuel economy.

Last edited by AirbusCapt : 28th June 2020 at 08:29.
AirbusCapt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2020, 08:37   #4613
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameaa View Post
i believe they service these injectors for Rs 2500, not sure if it was for a set of 4
My sense is it would be 2500 per injector, which is between 10 and 15% of the cost of a new one.
Old 2nd July 2020, 19:31   #4614
BHPian

Is the injector cleaning a proper solution or is it a jugaad To get rid of the noise,

On another topic,
Here was a discussion earlier on in this thread about the Pioneer AVH-x7850BT
Flip out type 1 DIN system.
I have used the system extensively for two years and am very happy with the head unit.
Please PM me for any queries regarding that,(looking forward to some PMs, JUST promoted from Newbie

I will respond immediately.

I had quoted other BHPians from a post in 2017 to clarify few doubts, they were already clarified,
I apologise for that.

Last edited by viXit : 2nd July 2020 at 19:39. Reason: Posted about something else as the queries I had replied to have already been answered.
Old 2nd July 2020, 20:55   #4615
BANNED

I am ok with the noise part because it’s not very evident and secondly I have got used to it in last few years but I am only concerned and would prefer to look at it if it’s effecting my mileage and secondly if it’s effecting the health of the engine. Experts can guide us here. Should we go for some tuning to sort it out??
Old 2nd July 2020, 20:55   #4616
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is the injector cleaning a proper solution or is it a jugaad To get rid of the noise,

The injectors are serviced by Delphi, if the TASS does the right thing. You can ask for the service invoice or the service report from Delphi to confirm.

The other alternative is to replace the injectors with reconditioned ones available with TASS. These are official spares.

I speak from my experience with a 2.2 Dicor and not a Storme.

regards
Srinivas
smsrini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 12:35   #4617
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post

The other alternative is to replace the injectors with reconditioned ones available with TASS. These are official spares.
thank You, I shall update after speaking to the SA about the injectors.
How was the result after the service?
[quote] I speak from my experience with a 2.2 Dicor and not a Storme.

regards
Srinivas[/q]
Sir,
The DiCOR and VariCOR engines are the exact same,
I assume that the name was changed because safari storme came with a VAriable geometry turbocharger.

But if you see the engine number on a storme RC card. The number starts with DICOR......

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirbusCapt View Post
On the other front, injectors will knock in older cars, especially the ones in which diesel additives have been added. These additives work like detergents and wash off carbon build up which were acting like seals. Without these carbon seals, the worn out heads and linings will leak leading to lower performance, knocking and poor fuel economy.
I think I saw the TASS using additives once or twice.
I will ask them not to do it then.

SERVICE AT SELECT MOTORS SANATHNAGAR, HYD

The storme has gone to TASS and the estimate is a whopping 60k
I shall attach the estimate sheet .

The issues being addressed were
  1. 90k service
  2. Changing the keys as they have holes, the plastics of the keys are destroyed
  3. Rear shocks absorber service
  4. Wheel balancing And alignment
  5. Engine oil flushing
  6. Timing belt kit including water pump
    Apparently the timing belt was almost half torn.
    I inspect the engine bay every now and then and couldn’t find Visible damage , can someone please point out how I can check this next time.
The keys being provided are of the new safari storme with flip type key.
I shall attach pictures of the similar hexa key.

The catalytic converter has been rattling a lot and there is a sound with jerks like closing the door.
He has said that he’s removing the chemical block from the cat con.
[u]Wanted to know if it will have any problems.[\u]
I know NO And CO gases will flow out freely but AFAIK that’s all.

The advisor has said that few minor adjustments and clearing codes from ECU might solve the issue of knocking,
Please give your inputs regarding the same and advice if there’s anything.
I have spoken to SA about the cost and he said it has been increased to cover for any other issues that might crop up while fixing existing issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-screenshot_20200713123732_excel.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-20200711_160204.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-20200711_160200.jpg  

Last edited by viXit : 13th July 2020 at 12:39.
viXit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 14:21   #4618
BHPian

Quote:

I shall attach the estimate sheet .

Apparently the timing belt was almost half torn.
I inspect the engine bay every now and then and couldn’t find Visible damage , can someone please point out how I can check this next time.

[/LI
The keys being provided are of the new safari storme with flip type key.
I shall attach pictures of the similar hexa key.

The catalytic converter has been rattling a lot and there is a sound with jerks like closing the door.

The advisor has said that few minor adjustments and clearing codes from ECU might solve the issue of knocking,
Please give your inputs regarding the same and advice if there’s anything.
I have spoken to SA about the cost and he said it has been increased to cover for any other issues that might crop up while fixing existing issues.
Please get the service advisor to show you the old parts which are replaced like shock absorbers and the worn out timing belt. Also ask him for a full wheel alignment report on paper. TASS are known to inflate bills via dummy repairs, hence a verification is needed.
Kindly leave out non essentials like interior cleaning, shampoo etc, you can get a far better job done in a standalone cleaning place such as 3M.
A catalytic converter is a sealed unit and can't be cleaned by using chemicals, the service advisor may be pulling a fast one.
Knocking is usually a sign of a faulty injector, poor sealing or poor fuel. Not sure how an ECU error code cleanup will remove knocking.
You can easily knock off 10 k from your estimate by not taking up interior cleaning, catalytic converter wash and that ecu cleanup.
Old 13th July 2020, 15:57   #4619
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirbusCapt View Post
Please get the service advisor to show you the old parts which are replaced like shock absorbers and the worn out timing belt. Also ask him for a full wheel alignment report on paper. TASS are known to inflate bills via dummy repairs, hence a verification is needed.
Kindly leave out non essentials like interior cleaning, shampoo etc, you can get a far better job done in a standalone cleaning place such as 3M.
A catalytic converter is a sealed unit and can't be cleaned by using chemicals, the service advisor may be pulling a fast one.
I was told that there are blocks of chemicals inside the cat con that he will break and remove.
He claims to have done this several times and that it is a standard practice.
Quote:
Knocking is usually a sign of a faulty injector, poor sealing or poor fuel. Not sure how an ECU error code cleanup will remove knocking.
It’s really been a hassle, the car has been sound deadened using sound deadening material in the doors and it was really great until the knocking sound showed up, it is really irritating and what’s more worrying is that a sound means something is wrong
Quote:
You can easily knock off 10 k from your estimate by not taking up interior cleaning, catalytic converter wash and that ecu cleanup.
I will ask for the cleanups to be cancelled but he cat con needed to be worked on because it was rattling A LOT.
Again thanks for the prompt reply
Old 19th July 2020, 19:55   #4620
BHPian

Has anyone had to replace their *whole* windshield wiper assembly (including motor) - as 1 wiper was not functioning?

Concorde Mumbai is asking for over 14k to do this work...full replacement!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks