Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2021, 16:44   #4741
BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Can understand the situation for the elders. But coming to replacements, if I were in the market, I would have checked out the S-Cross, though they dont have a diesel at this time. Kushaq is good for 4, I hear.

Thanks for the call out on Scross. I did see the vehicle and test drove it. While it does fit 5 adults, our family has now reduced to 2 adults and 1 child with 1 aged adult at times. Going forward, it will probably reduce to just 3 adults as the child grows and the aged adult stops traveling. The SCross comes with a slightly degraded engine and an AT converter box. It is not an enthusiastic vehicle. Somehow i felt that the AT did not provide the required power boost to the vehicle. Also the power output seems to be hovering around the 140bhp level. Somewhere the missus felt that the SCross was a bit of a tin can and negated it outright

@Ebono - I think you mean the Seltos. The Candor as i remember was from Toyota sold much in S.Africa. I checked the Seltos and it was not inspiring enough. Some service issues and more importantly not a great crash rating makes me feel a bit scared. After driving the truck, i wanted a vehicle which would be well engineered and a bit sturdy.

I also looked at the Thar, but again creature comforts were missing + high stance made it a no go

I used to own a Ford Fusion earlier and the Kushaq screams of Fusion design from the looks department. Missus seems to be sold on the design language and the European build.
subraiyr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 17:27   #4742
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post
Leaving with a few pictures of our beloved beast.
Dusty due to a recent road trip
I have logged into TBhp now, after 2020! My vehicle is now at 1,52,000 km and still running fine. The AC thing was a valve that was malfunctioning, which was replaced at that time under warranty.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 17th August 2021 at 18:45. Reason: Trimmed the post within quotes for better readability. Thanks.
sasi405 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 00:29   #4743
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasi405 View Post
I have logged into TBhp now, after 2020! My vehicle is now at 1,52,000 km and still running fine. The AC thing was a valve that was malfunctioning, which was replaced at that time under warranty.
Could you please share the part number or the service bill if possible?

My SA wants to change the entire impeller assembly. I want to be able to pin point. Thanks a lot for letting me know
Old 27th August 2021, 15:47   #4744
BHPian

Quote:
My SA wants to change the entire impeller assembly. I want to be able to pin point. Thanks a lot for letting me know
Hey Vixit, please share your SA name. My storme is always serviced at Concorde Motors then, now Select cars at Sanathnagar.

I can cross-check with my regular SA and there is an experienced mechanic in the service centre from the times of Concorde. I ensure to maintain good rapport with him whenever I am visiting for regular service.
Old 27th August 2021, 22:29   #4745
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kams_cars View Post
Hey Vixit, please share your SA name. My storme is always serviced at Concorde Motors then, now Select cars at Sanathnagar.

I can cross-check with my regular SA and there is an experienced mechanic in the service centre from the times of Concorde. I ensure to maintain good rapport with him whenever I am visiting for regular service.
I don't remember the name of the SA, don't want to think about him either.
Was a reference of an old friend of dad's. Didn't know his head from his foot.

Royally messed up my car. Charged me a bomb for it too. And all the issues have cropped up again. I'm just living with it since the noises and issues are rare although recurring.

I will never step foot in Select motors again. They even broke the roof rails plastic while trying to paint a scratch on my roof. And there's overspray all over the damn car. The paint on the area around the antenna is already flaking and peeling off. My car was in a much better state before sending it to select motors to sort out said issues.

Varun_hexaguy had a few issues with his hexa and had them sorted at Malik motors Bowempally. He introduced me to the people there. Everyone from the GM to the car wash guy knows him I had a pleasant experience at Malik. I'm going to take the car there only now onwards.
viXit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 14:22   #4746
Distinguished - BHPian

While the Storme had been giving out noise from the belts, there was a new noise on Saturday morning. Took it to TASS, and they diagnosed it as an alternator issue. Alternator was overhauled, with change of 2 bearings, the pulley. Two other bearings that drive the same belt were also changed. Bill came to 10.5k. Felt it is a bit high.

Odo now at 103368.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 20:46   #4747
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Varun_hexaguy had a few issues with his hexa and had them sorted at Malik motors Bowempally. He introduced me to the people there. Everyone from the GM to the car wash guy knows him I had a pleasant experience at Malik. I'm going to take the car there only now onwards.

I can vouch for Malik Motors Bowenpally. Good service experience for my Hexa.

Last edited by Sheel : 7th October 2021 at 17:10. Reason: Trimmed quoted post. Thanks.
smsrini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 13:57   #4748
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
While the Storme had been giving out noise from the belts, there was a new noise on Saturday morning. Took it to TASS, and they diagnosed it as an alternator issue. Alternator was overhauled, with change of 2 bearings, the pulley. Two other bearings that drive the same belt were also changed. Bill came to 10.5k. Felt it is a bit high.

Odo now at 103368.

Any improvements in electrical performance after the alternator overhaul?

Does your car have the LED dome lights for three rows?

I have observed them dim when the indicators are blinking. The Lights dim when the indicator comes on, and then brightens up when the indicator bulbs are off. They go vice versa.

Also noticed my AC blower speed slow for a second as soon as I let go of the throttle, like there was a drop in voltage. Any small things like these you noticed before?

Old 28th September 2021, 15:04   #4749
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The symptoms you have mentioned are for a different issue than what I faced. In my case, just the pulley was loose but held in place (touch-wood) by the belt. However, it had started moving a bit which caused the vibrations & sound.
Old 30th September 2021, 21:16   #4750
BHPian

So I am a proud owner of the Safari Storme VX 4*4 2014 Astern Black, again. Why AGAIN, because I had sold it in 2017 and now in 2021 bought it back again from the person to whom I had sold it to.
Well why I did what I did -
1. It's the BOF Safari not the monocoque one
2. It has 4*4 and so can manage moderate off-roading
3. That feeling that you get from sitting on the driver's seat.
4. The suspension - even though the workshop said I need to overhaul the suspension, I still just accelerate over the potholes and broken roads where others normally slow down and the suspension still doesn't make any noises.
5. It still has the dashboard clock

I need inputs from the other Storme owners on a few things -
1. One of the headlight lamps (low beam projectors) is not working but rather than change just that lamp I am thinking of upgrading the lights. This is because I always had an issue or rather found them insufficient for use in city or highways with heavy traffic and I almost never use the high beams due to obvious reasons. So if someone has done something similar, would really appreciate the inputs.
2. The TASS at Navi Mumbai (Fortune) has given me a repair estimate of approximately 1.7 lakhs - suspension overhaul, engine mounts replace etc etc. Does anyone have any inputs about some good FNG's in Navi Mumbai, Pune, Mumbai where I could get the Storme serviced instead of at the TASS.
3. How difficult it is to source the parts - the feedback I got from the previous owner and also to an extent the TASS is it could take a month or even more at times and so it is better to order everything first rather than leaving the car with them for a month or more. Any experiences of other Storme owners here and is there any other alternate (a different TASS or something like Boodmo) that I should be exploring.

Well that's it for now. I will finally keep adding my updates as well here and hopefully contribute happy stories with the Storme.

Cheers,
Mayank
zadoom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2021, 11:29   #4751
BHPian

Quote:

I have observed them dim when the indicators are blinking. The Lights dim when the indicator comes on, and then brightens up when the indicator bulbs are off. They go vice versa.
I have seen a similar issue in my car as well. Almost all backlights - speedo console, dashboard clock, the 3 row LED cabin lights everything has become dim. Though I haven't noticed link between indicators and their dimming even further. Let me know if you find the reasons and solution.
Old 1st October 2021, 14:25   #4752
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zadoom View Post
I have seen a similar issue in my car as well. Almost all backlights - speedo console, dashboard clock, the 3 row LED cabin lights everything has become dim. Though I haven't noticed link between indicators and their dimming even further. Let me know if you find the reasons and solution.
Speedo console, dashboard clock, window switches, AC controls backlight and Cigarette lighter/12v port lights have adjustable brightness that can be adjusted from your MID.
To check:
  1. turn on headlights.
  2. Press Mode button on MID till you see no text/numbers and only horizontal line/lines.
  3. Press set button to adjust no of lines which represents brightness
Hope this is the issue.
my backlights in console seem to be fine. but they are too small for me to notice. But I have noticed the Cabin light dimming. Is yours also the LED cabin light variant?

If that is not the issue, please see if it's happening even with engine off.

If it's happening with engine off, we can rule out alternator as an issue.

Quote:
5. It still has the dashboard clock
It's a beautiful little thing. Sucks that they took it out in the new storme.

Quote:
So if someone has done something similar, would really appreciate the inputs.
Storme has internal headlight wiring which needs to be altered to install anything like a HID. But for LED or halogen it should be just fine.
I have HID lights in my low beam and It's a pain to even understand what wires have been cut where!

Pls try osram nightbreaker laser in all lights before anything else. It's not that expensive also. Get the headlight lenses polished and coated with PPF or Wax/ceramic to protect them and keep them transparent for longer.

Quote:
2. The TASS at Navi Mumbai (Fortune) has given me a repair estimate of approximately 1.7 lakhs - suspension overhaul, engine mounts replace etc etc. Does anyone have any inputs about some good FNG's in Navi Mumbai,
Pls look through the teamBHP directory, mumbai has the best FNGs as I understand.

Quote:
3. How difficult it is to source the parts - the feedback I got from the previous owner and also to an extent the TASS is it could take a month or even more at times and so it is better to order everything first rather than leaving the car with them for a month or more.
Boodmo has always had the common parts for my car.
but you can also ask your TASC to place an order for all the parts and get it done after all of them have arrived. You will have to pay an advance for this

Quote:
Well that's it for now. I will finally keep adding my updates as well here and hopefully contribute happy stories with the Storme.

Cheers,
Mayank
All the best!
pls do add some pics

Last edited by viXit : 1st October 2021 at 14:33.
viXit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2021, 14:56   #4753
BHPian

Quote:
Speedo console, dashboard clock, window switches, AC controls backlight and Cigarette lighter/12v port lights have adjustable brightness that can be adjusted from your MID.
Wow, thanks so much @viXit. I didn't even remember that there was an option of adjusting the brightness. Shall definitely check that later today and update here. I am hoping it's just the brightness adjustment.

Regarding the headlights, I will prefer to try the upgrade to lamps that you mentioned. I also feel it is better to keep the wires as stock as possible. Shall try with some shops this weekend.

Pictures, shall upload soon. Currently haven't washed it and it's too dirty for a photo shoot

Thanks a ton for your inputs.

Cheers
Old 7th October 2021, 16:36   #4754
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you, I finally got to drive the Storme a little yesterday and so checked the brightness increase option that you had mentioned. It indeed worked. So at least 1 problem resolved.

The next target is to update the headlamps.

Cheers
Old 11th October 2021, 18:18   #4755
BHPian

Does anyone have any feedback about this business called as Hybrid Customs. Per the website it is based in Chandigarh and while searching for headlight upgrade for Safari Storme, it popped up in the search items.

As per the description provided, they seem to offer a plug n play swap option for the Storme headlight. The bulbs are XENON HID Projector Headlamps with an integrated LED DRL. Goes on to say that there is lifetime warranty for leakage and moisture.

Anyone with any experience of having used this set-up? I will try reaching out to them on the provided numbers and try find out more.

Here's the link to the website --> http://www.hybridcustoms.in/product/...tom-headlamps/

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks