Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2015, 12:51   #3991
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
I'd rather live with better braking with the 4-wheel-disc-brake-ABS than another 10 bhp or so.
Brakes over 8 bhp (its 148 bhp ) any day of the week, and twice on Sunday (when I'm on the highway).

To be honest, the new Storme does not make me feel cheated as an old Storme owner at all. I'm quite satisfied actually.

Now 170 bhp, 400 Nm torque, and 6 speed manual gearbox, with low friction tyres thrown in (preferably 17 inchers) ..... at same 13 odd lacs ..... and I'd be not as blaise about the whole thing.

Last edited by ebonho : 8th May 2015 at 12:54.
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2015, 13:36   #3992
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh2711 View Post
Hi All,

If the launch is today/tomorrow or already done:
DO we have a confirmation if the last row is front facing or still the same. Reason for multiple follow ups is looking to book this or will go for Aria.

Apologies for repeated questions.

Regarsd,
Saurabh.
Don't know about the launch, but as per a picture posted on a closed Safari User group, it has the same seats as the current Storme.

Image:
Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-rear.jpg

Image Credit: Abhijeet Prakash Tilekar
rohansachar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2015, 14:53   #3993
Team-BHP Support

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-rev...-394904,0.aspx

Quote:
The Tata Safari is nearly two decades old and continues to soldier on. Now, this warhorse has been given yet another facelift in an attempt to slow down its ageing process
I'm surprised an automobile magazine is calling it a two decade old product! If it is a layman on the street or a mainstream newspaper, I would probably understand - but Autocar?
SmartCat is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 9th May 2015, 15:40   #3994
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-rev...-394904,0.aspx

I'm surprised an automobile magazine is calling it a two decade old product! If it is a layman on the street or a mainstream newspaper, I would probably understand - but Autocar?
What can I say. Its fashionable, within a certain circle.

Meanwhile, unencumbered by prejudices or biases, I drive the vehicle to its potential on the highways, and I really enjoy it (yes it could be improved), and I do not see a lot of much costlier vehicles, with many more pages of auto mag praise to boot, overtaking me.

I guess that may not be everyone's barometer, or even a perfect barometer, but its my barometer, and it works for me. So in my book at least, TATA must be doing something right, something well, and something good.

Last edited by ebonho : 9th May 2015 at 15:43.
ebonho is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 9th May 2015, 17:37   #3995
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho
I guess that may not be everyone's barometer, or even a perfect barometer, but its my barometer, and it works for me. So in my book at least, TATA must be doing something right, something well, and something good.

Agree! Friends who own a Fortuner keep saying that once you drive one, you will never enjoy your truck again. My answer, if I can even 80% of that driving experience at 50% the cost, why would I shift at least for now. If only niggles could be fixed for good, it would help. Truck went again for malfunctioning lock set, seats squeaking and fuel gauge check.

On another note, I am still not completely satisfied with the sound my engine makes (some weird tak tak that Tata guys find absolutely normal). Just that no other Storme makes that sound surprises and bothers me. Maybe I need to take it to another ASS and get it checked.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 9th May 2015 at 19:16. Reason: Fixed quotes + no abbreviations for cars please eg. Tfort for Fortuner
Old 9th May 2015, 17:51   #3996
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
To be honest, the new Storme does not make me feel cheated as an old Storme owner at all. I'm quite satisfied actually.
If Tata would have launched a 170PS, 400 NM engine with 265 section tires shod in 17" then I would not have forgiven myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Meanwhile, unencumbered by prejudices or biases, I drive the vehicle to its potential on the highways, and I really enjoy it (yes it could be improved), and I do not see a lot of much costlier vehicles, with many more pages of auto mag praise to boot, overtaking me.
SUV's do that to you. Stress free driving position, commanding view, no need to worry about road irregularities [potholes, bumps] Just keep going on & on. I love that.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2015, 21:35   #3997

Quote:
Originally Posted by storme'd View Post
The central locking mechanism is now malfunctioning. Every time I press lock after shutting all doors, I get one beep which normally comes when one door is not shut properly. The indicator lights are not blinking on locking or unlocking and with one press, all doors are unlocking. Any ideas what the reason could be? Have pushed all doors hard, checked the push button under the hood, all seem fine. TASS is shut tomorrow so stuck till day after. Any DIY welcome.
Had the same problem for my 3k kms ran storme. TASS chennai told me it is a problem with the sensor and the front right door lock assembly needs to be changed. Took a week for them to get the replacement part. Now is is back to the original state. Since it is covered in warranty, nothing was charged. However, took the risk of running with literally no lock at all on the road.
Old 11th May 2015, 11:12   #3998
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
SUV's do that to you. Stress free driving position, commanding view, no need to worry about road irregularities [potholes, bumps] Just keep going on & on. I love that.
Sheel you've probably misunderstood. Sure I love the tank-like character of my SUV. But that's not what I was referring to.

I drive my Storme pretty much like I drive any other car of mine, including my Baleno. Aggressively. And the Storme responds.

Its been over two years now, and I have had but a couple of instances when I've not been happy or satisfied. Sump leak and shocker leak.

She's a good solid well engineered vehicle, and while I understand the human nature to never be satisfied and always want more, personally what I want more from this vehicle and from its makers is very different to what as a general norm I read on forums of people wanting more from it.

Last edited by ebonho : 11th May 2015 at 11:16.
Old 11th May 2015, 22:55   #3999
BHPian

I would anytime trade in the harman whatever with a dual airbag setup in middle and lower variant. Its already equipped with ABS / disc brakes and presence of airbags would have made it an armour-on-the-move.
Old 12th May 2015, 10:49   #4000
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storme_on_d_way View Post
I would anytime trade in the harman whatever with a dual airbag setup in middle and lower variant. Its already equipped with ABS / disc brakes and presence of airbags would have made it an armour-on-the-move.
I agree. Airbags like seatbelts should be the norm. But if you see, ABS, which I guess is cheaper than airbags, is still not there on all vehicles. Even the new Storme LX does not have it. So I guess unless there is legislation that forces the hands of the manufacturers, ABS and Air Bags will be treated as a high end differentiator more than a necessity must-have.

I wish they modify the body mould and make the rear end side walls less sloping, to free up some much needed back space for normal sized adolescents at least. Yes the Scorpio look boxy and lie an overgrown Jeep, and personally a little weird from behind, but the jump-seats in the Scorpio are so much more usable than those in the Storme - where 8-10 year olds are the upper limit.

Did anyone try to find out whether the new map is programmable on to our old Stormes? What about the bigger fuel tank? The clutch is not retro-fittable. And there is nothing else I would want, unless the new Storme has improved guaranteed non-leak shockers ......
Old 12th May 2015, 11:44   #4001
BHPian

Mr. BD is the best person to comment if the leaking shocks has been resolved completely in the new version.
Old 12th May 2015, 11:59   #4002
BHPian

ebonho I had a discussion with the technical guy at Concorde about the remap for the older storme and options available:

1. Clutch - no
2. Fuel tank - maybe. He said will confirm on seeing it in flesh
3. Remap - no. Advised against it as per him we use a manual turbo while the new storme uses the electric turbo. Thus there may be an issue. Am not convinced with this explanation - hopefully someone here can shed more light on this
4. Steering - yes. The sound keys won't work but I am fine with having a thicker wheel on my truck. The current one is too thin for comfort
5. Front grill - yes!

On another note, has anyone got the ORVM folding Motors retro fitted on their ex / lx like what comes in the VX? I really miss them in the tight lanes where I stay with the ORVM's taking quite a few scratches on a regular drive.
storme'd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2015, 18:17   #4003
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by storme'd View Post
On another note, has anyone got the ORVM folding Motors retro fitted on their ex / lx like what comes in the VX? I really miss them in the tight lanes where I stay with the ORVM's taking quite a few scratches on a regular drive.
No idea about retro-fitting the electrically folding ORVMs, but the service centres should be able to do it. I have a VX 4x4 and I indeed managed to keep the ORVMs scratchless after 14 months of ownership thanks to the electrically folding feature. I think, it should be a standard offering across all variants for a car of this mammoth proportions.
Old 12th May 2015, 18:36   #4004
BHPian

I am manufacturing ORVM's and supplying them to some OEMs (read: OEM vendors, and not the car manufacturers) and into replacement market primarily. To the best of my knowledge, they cant be retro fitted on the older variant. Retractable ones have got 6 wires compared to three of normal ones. You need to give an external switch along with proper wiring that does include cutting n slicing the wires which invariably leads to a lapse of warranty. In company fitted ones, they are already equipped with the wiring and switch both of course.
Storme_on_d_way is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2015, 18:45   #4005
BHPian

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by psurelia View Post
No idea about retro-fitting the electrically folding ORVMs, but the service centres should be able to do it. I have a VX 4x4 and I indeed managed to keep the ORVMs scratchless after 14 months of ownership thanks to the electrically folding feature. I think, it should be a standard offering across all variants for a car of this mammoth proportions.

The guys at Concorde mentioned that since wires are less in EX, they can't do it. This is frustrating.

Thanks storme_on_d_way.

Last edited by storme'd : 12th May 2015 at 18:47.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks