Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2015, 17:20   #3856
BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohansachar View Post
ebonho, makes me literally want to do this ->

But as stormerider mentioned, if you had the same noise from the seat belt, how did you correct the same. I face this noise rarely, but it's surely there.
Try adjusting the level of seat belt to the lowest, it's a jugaad, works for me and ebonho.
stormerider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2015, 17:30   #3857
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohansachar View Post
ebonho, makes me literally want to do this ->

But as stormerider mentioned, if you had the same noise from the seat belt, how did you correct the same. I face this noise rarely, but it's surely there.
If you open the seat belt cover you spot a Bolt holding it to the pillar. Check if there is a nylon washer there. The new cars have nylon washers holding all bolts and screws. This helps keep a silent car. Ask your Tass to install all these washers everywhere.
apachelongbow is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2015, 17:40   #3858
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormerider View Post
Doc did you forget the seat belt "choo-choo" sound or have you got it corrected some other way than adjusting the height?
No bro, that is my own personal pet house mouse that live in Beastie. Suitable warnings are given to all service personnel to dare not even by mistake drive him away ......

That and the upper plastic cladding of the tailgate coming loose once (it still is, though we have tried to double tape it ....) and the 3rd row seats rattling if I have them up because when I got them upholstered the strap buckles were too short now (because of the extra padding). So we got them lengthened. Now two years later with my daughter and her friends making god use of those seats, they've flattened somewhat, and the straps are now too long and don't hold the seat base tightly to the seat back. So on rough-ish roads, khattarrrr khattaarrrr. So I keep them down, no sound.
Old 22nd March 2015, 10:24   #3859
Senior - BHPian

Folks I was wondering, where is the HVAC filter placed in the Storme? I am sure it cannot be a DIY cleanup because the space below the dashboard above the driver and passenger foot-well is now well and truly sealed unlike the older Dicor which was left open for access and repair work, the AC filter used to be removed from there. Mr. Dhabhar.. can you please help?
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2015, 11:35   #3860
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Folks I was wondering, where is the HVAC filter placed in the Storme? I am sure it cannot be a DIY cleanup because the space below the dashboard above the driver and passenger foot-well is now well and truly sealed unlike the older Dicor which was left open for access and repair work, the AC filter used to be removed from there. Mr. Dhabhar.. can you please help?
Excellent question. I wonder the same every time I remove the lint filter for cleaning from our washing machine. It being summer now, I don't want any gunk building up between me and nice clean cold air inside the cabin.
Old 23rd March 2015, 16:29   #3861
BHPian

Power windows in my storme works without even switching on the ignition. Was wondering if its the same in all stormes or something peculiar to my vehicle pointing to some wiring issue?

I have never noticed this in any other car where power windows function with out the ignition being switched on.
Old 23rd March 2015, 16:41   #3862
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep_vgl View Post
Power windows in my storme works without even switching on the ignition. Was wondering if its the same in all stormes or something peculiar to my vehicle pointing to some wiring issue?

I have never noticed this in any other car where power windows function with out the ignition being switched on.
Do they work when key is not in ignition. When key is in acc position, power windows work in safari. Take the key out, and they stop working.
Old 23rd March 2015, 17:29   #3863
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep_vgl View Post
They work once you switch off the car and dont open the driver door. But this feature remains for some time only. They should not work once the key is taken out.
stormerider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2015, 17:40   #3864
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormerider View Post
They work once you switch off the car and dont open the driver door. But this feature remains for some time only. They should not work once the key is taken out.
Yup. I was quite impressed by this feature when I first was shown it (magic!).

I think its a safety fail-safe precaution in case of a crash so that one can get the windows down without necesarily having to smash them (God forbid). Don't know the technical term.
Old 23rd March 2015, 18:16   #3865
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I think its a safety fail-safe precaution in case of a crash so that one can get the windows down without necesarily having to smash them (God forbid). Don't know the technical term.
I believe its more of a utility feature where you can open the window, if you have shut down the car and are still sitting inside, or when you forgot to close a window when you powered down.

For accidents/mishaps, the car is equipped with inertia switch. In case of accident, fuel supply would be cut off, all blinkers are switched on and all doors unlock automatically. Hence you dont have to smash those windows. IIRC, to disable it once it is activated, the switch is located on the non driver side.

Last edited by stormerider : 23rd March 2015 at 18:20.
stormerider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2015, 20:14   #3866
MSC
BHPian

tata safari storme is a good vehicle but has more cons than pros.
1. The biggest con is the weight. Safari is definitely overweight or rather seriously overweight. if tata can manage to shove off some weight , safari is gonna be an entirely different vehicle.
2. Tata service reliability is anybody's guess.
3. Couple of my friends own safari of different configuration like the oldest one,dicor version,the latest storme, 4×4 as well as 4×2 versions. I have found the suspension squeaking after 10k odd of life . this is trouble in tata sumo as well if I am not wrong.

Tata should relaunch the tata sierra in a upgraded design and configuration to meet and challenge mini SUV'S like duster . At the same time try and make safari a bit premium offering. just like mahindra which has scorpio at one end and XUV at other.
Old 24th March 2015, 10:22   #3867
rkg
Senior - BHPian

TATA ARIA also has this feature. Power windows work for 30 seconds or something like that even after key is removed. It is present even in base Pure LX model. It has inertia switch.
Old 24th March 2015, 19:03   #3868
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSC View Post
tata safari storme is a good vehicle but has more cons than pros.
1. The biggest con is the weight. Safari is definitely overweight or rather seriously overweight. if tata can manage to shove off some weight , safari is gonna be an entirely different vehicle.
2. Tata service reliability is anybody's guess.
3. Couple of my friends own safari of different configuration like the oldest one,dicor version,the latest storme, 4×4 as well as 4×2 versions. I have found the suspension squeaking after 10k odd of life . this is trouble in tata sumo as well if I am not wrong.

Tata should relaunch the tata sierra in a upgraded design and configuration to meet and challenge mini SUV'S like duster . At the same time try and make safari a bit premium offering. just like mahindra which has scorpio at one end and XUV at other.
This is what happens when people comment based on hearsay and not ownership or even a test drive. Please donot comment with statements of ownership based on what your friends have said or presumedly said. at 1970 kgs for 4x2 and 2000 kgs for the 4x4 the Storme weights almost similar to the Fortuner and the likes. I have never observed any suspension squeak in my ownership so far. The car is excellent in terms of drivability and especially in roll ons and higher gear accelerations it can surprise most sendans on the highway.

Servicing is not as bad as its presumed to be and they are improving, at least I have found them quite adequate unlike the horror stories I have read hear about say Skoda.

The Storme appears more premium compared to any offering from Mahindra especially from the inside, and calling Scorpio premium, I have nothing to comment...
apachelongbow is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th March 2015, 21:35   #3869
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
This is what happens when people comment based on hearsay and not ownership or even a test drive. Please donot comment with statements of ownership based on what your friends have said or presumedly said. at 1970 kgs for 4x2 and 2000 kgs for the 4x4 the Storme weights almost similar to the Fortuner and the likes. I have never observed any suspension squeak in my ownership so far. The car is excellent in terms of drivability and especially in roll ons and higher gear accelerations it can surprise most sendans on the highway.

Servicing is not as bad as its presumed to be and they are improving, at least I have found them quite adequate unlike the horror stories I have read hear about say Skoda.

The Storme appears more premium compared to any offering from Mahindra especially from the inside, and calling Scorpio premium, I have nothing to comment...
Totally agree! Tata has perinially been at the recieving end of undeserved brick bats, which they have not handled or responded to with the aggresiveness of the likes of Mahindra.
That been said, another point to be kept in mind in my opinion is the value for money angle. People tend to forget that if you pay half of what yould have for the Foetuner, but get at least three fourth of the value (many would agree that the value proposition is higher if anything) then things are not at all bad!
neel385 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2015, 08:08   #3870
Senior - BHPian

I wish to narrate the below incidence especially for those who believe Tata Motors service standards are poor and dealers disinterested.
I broke my RHS side mirror (only glass broke, the casing and motor mechanism including retraction was intact), when my car's mirror and an Innova's mirror kissed at the Madumalai hairpins on the way to Ooty. We called up the sole Tass workshop in Ooty during our climb up and went there the next day. The RHS mirror assembly was not available with them, however the Tass manager himself tried and called up the Tass at Coimbatore and Mysore to see if there were any RHS power mirrors available with them, then he sent across a worker to the local garages/shops in the Ooty market to see if an after market mirror assembly was available to see if we can extract the mirror glass from there and fix it into my car!!
Meanwhile the Tass also fixed a loose speaker component in the RHS which was creating a rattle and fixed the squeaky left rear brake pad and gave the car a wash all free of cost. Unfortunately no mirror was available, so the manager was very apologetic, but he called forward to Bangalore to ensure that a mirror assembly was made available on the day we were going to drive back to Hyderabad (via Bangalore).

On our return journey we spotted a big Tass on the Mysore ring road and decided to step in unannounced to check for a mirror. Not only they let us in happily, also gave us tea, searched their immense godown for a mirror, they managed to extract a new RHS mirror, but it was not the VX mirror, but the LX black colored unpainted mirror. They then proposed to extract the glass from the mirror and fix it my car's mirror to ensure I had a fully working setup, didn't charge me for labour and I had to pay only for the mirror. They also used Matt black paint to touch up a few minor scratches on the mirror casing which had got scratched due to the flying glass debris. Meanwhile the Ooty Tass and Bangalore Tass called us during our descent to check if we were doing ok during the drive!!
Now please tell me which other company goes so much out of their way to try and help a customer, especially when the damage has been caused because of the customer's fault? If this is not called personal service, I am not sure what is.

Last edited by apachelongbow : 27th March 2015 at 08:11.
apachelongbow is offline   (21) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks