Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2015, 18:20   #3931
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
The Storme does not use Shims.
Ah! there's the difference. I own a 2.2 Dicor, so the reference to the Shims.

My earlier comment was a generic question as to why the Safari or the storme should loose the alignment settings so frequently when other manufacturer cars dont.

cheers!
Old 23rd April 2015, 18:36   #3932
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajismine View Post
True that - LX will have no jump seats. The rims are 15 inch but tires have higher radius to offset this rim decrease
That equals to more side wall flex which is really undesirable. I do not understand these poor thinking by TATA this time.
Old 24th April 2015, 09:52   #3933
BHPian

If R15 is really a problem, how Pajero [not the funky sport] was considered a good off-roader with the same 15" rims ?

I guess, the vehicle will look beefier with more rubber exposed on 15" rim. I will not be surprised if EX and VX customers go for it as exchanging their 16" !

Prem.
Old 24th April 2015, 10:45   #3934
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
They have also upgraded the grill for the namesake.
Hi Amit!

Is the grille nicer than my Storme's? Will it fit?

Any other new changes that could potentially replace-plug-fit the olde Storme and are desirable?
Old 24th April 2015, 11:10   #3935
BHPian

To give international quality finish to the exterior and interior (not fancy gadgets), how much extra would it cost Tata Motors? The customer who is buying an SUV would definitely not mind paying that extra, as long as he gets quality. If Storme gets international fit and finish, definitely with proportionate higher price, would attract more customers. Now we have a hard choice. Either settle with Storme as it is or go for Fortuner which is costing double. Ofcourse, the quality of ASS should also improve.
Old 24th April 2015, 11:31   #3936
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
Tata has gone milestones ... most on holidays.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajismine View Post
Its not the Torque ... no change there
Many thanks to both of you.
The concirn for third row was for a comfortable seven seater, which obviousely Jumps seats cannot provide. Specially if adults have to fit in. We are (read were ) waiting for Storme's front facing third row. If that is not the case, i guess we will switch to Aria then; after a test ride though.
Good Bye. Storme Facelift.

Really feel sorry for Tata, they have now eventually pushed their flagship vehicle to grave (if still jump seats) & pour the "jhatpat sookhne waala cement" over it. Really all the engineers were sleeping instead of catching the nerves of the people. All expectations are dead & buried. Can't even imagine the logic of removing Jump seats from last row in LX.

Regards,
Saurabh

Last edited by saurabh2711 : 24th April 2015 at 11:34.
Old 24th April 2015, 13:53   #3937
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh2711 View Post
Can't even imagine the logic of removing Jump seats from last row in LX.
Must be some regulatory loophole of some taxes which differ significantly for a 5-seater vs a 7-seater.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2015, 18:33   #3938
Senior - BHPian

@ebonho, IIRC 7 seater will have less tax than 5 seater.
And we should wait for the pricing. If Tata has a great introductory offer, I'll surely pick it up.
Old 28th April 2015, 18:23   #3939
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
When me and my brother in law were testing out the top speed of the Storme, once it hit a certain magical speed, there was a loud tak-tak-tak-tak which happened. That sound also never reappeared on the drive back immediately thereafter or anytime afterwards, I have never hit that same speed anytime afterwards either. Wonder if MR. BEHRAM DHABHAR can please confirm!
Dear Vistasp - the answer is as follows, the complete drivetrain, which includes the engine, is electronically controlled to operate within a factor of safety, the figure of which I shall obviously not mention. There are numerous input and process parameters (much more than what we could ever imagine ). Even if any single input to the ECU even remotely approaches this figure, the ECU shall automatically disallow the activity. This is a very important safety feature which determines aggregate life. This subroutine happens all the time, even when you crawl through the city at 40 kmph, you will never even know as you are not supposed to know! Also, this also ensures conformity to the CMVR. Compulsory COP (conformity of production) is a measureable parameter in this activity.

In case you have any niggling doubt, I have not given you "SR" (standard reply). Please enjoy your vehicle! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th April 2015, 10:43   #3940
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
In case you have any niggling doubt, I have not given you "SR" (standard reply). Please enjoy your vehicle! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Roger sir. So I pushed Beastie to the edge of where Tata Motors boffins decided it can be pushed to keep everything inside safe and living long (including the passengers within). And something somewhere pre-programmed kicked in and said "enough and no more! have some nimbu paani and drive the vehicle like a SUV should be driven"

Got that. So no permanent (or even temporary) damage.

Can you share what exactly that loud (pretty alarming) tak tak tak tak tak sound from somewhere under the vehicle (or engine bay .... cant be sure, but both of us looked under the floor boards first) was????? It was not metallic. But it was a hard sound, and could be heard AND felt.

Thanks again!

P.S. How many people across the country have reported this sound in the past two years since the Storme was launched? I really need to learn how to control both my right limb extremities ....
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2015, 11:14   #3941
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I really need to learn how to control my right limb extremities!
Dear Vistasp - hahaha, good one there! The only thing that I can tell you is that sometime in the night in late 2011, with the ugly black "burqa" (camouflage) and the red number plate, with yours truly driving and exerting the right limb "almost" to the extreme as indicated and controlled from the laptop, I effortlessly overtook a very fast moving Fortuner, saw him only once as a blip in my rear view mirror and then I disappeared! . This happened on the Malavali straight after Lonavla. The guy tried his level best, but the time difference at the toll gate when he finally landed up was a shade under 3 minutes! We both know the distance. Calculate now. Good naa? He is my good friend now! Whenever I want Fortuner feedback, he gives me, for free!

I guess I must thank God that am blessed to be able to drive and evaluate "small things" like "programmable ECUs" et al! The production vehicle is obviously slower! As we say in our typical Parsi Gujarati - "evu badhu thaay", means, "such things happen"! .

YOU AIN'T SEEN NOTHIN' YET! ENJOY! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by moralfibre : 29th April 2015 at 15:06. Reason: Only two smileys permitted per post. Thanks!
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th April 2015, 11:29   #3942
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Vistasp - hahaha, good one there! The only thing that I can tell you is that sometime in the night in late 2011, with the ugly black "burqa" (camouflage) and the red number plate, with yours truly driving and exerting the right limb "almost" to the extreme as indicated and controlled from the laptop, I effortlessly overtook a very fast moving Fortuner, saw him only once as a blip in my rear view mirror and then I disappeared! .
I note that you happened to leave out the most important part for any red blooded male.

What was under the burqa?

Quote:
This happened on the Malavali straight after Lonavla.
The tak tak tak was on the same straight, I think, but returning back from Mumbai.

The "to" leg had already had 3-4 pulls, incrementally higher, which gave us a good indication of what she could do.

The "back" leg final pull was a good 10 kmph more than the fastest "to" pull.

Quote:
The guy tried his level best, but the time difference at the toll gate when he finally landed up was a shade under 3 minutes! We both know the distance. Calculate now. Good naa? He is my good friend now! Whenever I want Fortuner feedback, he gives me, for free!
Sadly sir, the two SUVs which have to date properly put me in my place in the automotive pecking order, both driven by very good drivers, was a white VW Tuareg leaving Mumbai (through the normal fast exit mess, so you can imagine what two monsters were doing .....) and again a white Fortuner returning back from Goa (he was good, but risky, a few passes especially on two wheelers way too close for my personal comfort).

You are right. The stock production Storme cannot hold a Fortuner. But then sir, its 2.2 liter vs 3 liter. I never argue with displacement. I try very hard though.

Quote:
I guess I must thank God that am blessed to be able to drive and evaluate "small things" like "programmable ECUs" et al! The production vehicle is obviously slower! As we say in our typical Parsi Gujarati - "evu badhu thaay", means, "such things happen"! .
When are we meeting sir?

Respectful regards,

Vistasp

Last edited by ebonho : 29th April 2015 at 11:43.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2015, 22:30   #3943
BHPian

The left projector lamp has conked off. Wondering which bulb should be put?

1. Is it the regular kit bulb we get when we buy a new car (does the storme come with a spare bulb kit? Where is it placed) or will I have to buy a new one?
2. Is it a DIY or should I take the car to ASS

The tyre end bolts have again started making a khat sound on both sides. This is the 4th set I am on. Is anyone facing a similar problem or is mine a special case?
Old 29th April 2015, 22:48   #3944
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by storme'd View Post
The left projector lamp has conked off. Wondering which bulb should be put?

1. Is it the regular kit bulb we get when we buy a new car (does the storme come with a spare bulb kit? Where is it placed) or will I have to buy a new one?
2. Is it a DIY or should I take the car to ASS

The tyre end bolts have again started making a khat sound on both sides. This is the 4th set I am on. Is anyone facing a similar problem or is mine a special case?
Page 1 Post #7

It uses the H7 bulb. Dicor used to come with spare bulbs. No idea about Storme. Check your Glove box.

Regarding DIY, can you reach and remove the black plastic cover behind the low beam projector? If so its a DIY. It depends upon your confidence level. A bit tricky and you have to squeeze your hands through, but no special tools required.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 29th April 2015 at 22:49.
Old 29th April 2015, 23:11   #3945
BHPian

Going by pics of the new Storme yet to be launched, I see Tata Motors have not considered having an automatic climate control and multi info display. These are glaring omissions when vehicles that cost half as much have them. Come on Tata, if Mahindra could do it on the Scorpio I don't see why you can't .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks