Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2021, 15:00   #4681
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Driven : 2021 Tata Safari XZA+ 6 seater

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
But I have not done tankful to tankful on them, except for twice on the storme. Now that storme has become my daily driver, I am already on the first tankful. Let me see if I can get anything over 12 kmpl.
Thanks to this thread, I just did my second tankful today and the results got me elated.

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-screenshot_202102021446352.png

13.58 kmpl !!

I have always thought Storme to give just about 10-12 kmpl depending on how one drives it. And last tankful (last year IIRC), I calculated approximately with fuel level indicator's low fuel indication instead of refilling the tank. And arrived at 12 kmpl. Blame Tata's carefree attitude in not even giving a Avg FE read-out in a 2018 truck.

The Fuelio app has been a blessing in that regard. I am very glad that storme returns 13+ kmpl, considering that the distance was done inside the city and around rural roads involving quite a lot of gear changes frequently. I drive with AC ON all the time, even in cold weather as I tend to get unbelievably frustrated with dusty dashboard and cabin.

Here is what my previous daily driver used to return. The data is from 12 tankfulls.

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-screenshot_202102021445572.png

I was honestly worried when I sold Ciaz and took the storme as the daily driver, thinking about almost 70% increase in fuel expenses. But now, the storme is just about 30% more expensive than the Ciaz to run. And that little Maruti was frugal as hell.

I will be updating future data of fuel efficiency here. Let's see what the big truck does, long term.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 2nd February 2021 at 15:21.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2021, 15:41   #4682
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_m View Post
Fellow Stormers - anyone knows if opening up the front bumper is a DIY job (can be done at home)!?
Can be done. Pls message @Varun560061. He has done it a few times, including my Storme. He had helped me put in these projectors in there . The key part will be alignment, and also the clamps to hold these projectors in place,
Quote:
Thanks to this thread, I just did my second tankful today and the results got me elated. :Cheering
@PrasannaDhana is now Prasann ! Cool, bro. That's a very good FE there, esp since it is mixed mode. And just 30% increase in fuel cost for the kind of comfort it gives is more than worth it. What say ?

Last edited by condor : 2nd February 2021 at 15:44.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2021, 16:02   #4683
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
And just 30% increase in fuel cost for the kind of comfort it gives is more than worth it. What say ?
Ciaz is one extremely comfortable car too. For that 30% increase in fuel cost, I get two major benefits though

1. No need to worry about potholes or big bumps. The ground clearance scare is no more.

2. I don't honk anymore. Cars/autos/cabs and even buses, they just give way to the storme. That road presence is invaluable
Old 3rd February 2021, 10:16   #4684
BHPian

Quote:
Ciaz is one extremely comfortable car too. For that 30% increase in fuel cost, I get two major benefits though
I own both Ciaz and Storme. The only advantage I see with Ciaz is in city limits and bumper to bumper traffic its effortless with AT variant. Storme is pain to drive in bumper to bumper traffic since clutch feels very hard.

Other than that i bought Ciaz just 2 months back and going to complete 7 years for my storme this year May. Still in love with my Storme
lazybrain is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 11:25   #4685
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybrain View Post

Other than that i bought Ciaz just 2 months back and going to complete 7 years for my storme this year May. Still in love with my Storme
I owned one for 5.5 years clocking 1.33 lakh km. Ciaz is an effortless car to drive and is also very comfortable. The best ride quality in the C2 sedan space, city coming close(or equal with the new gen).

I drove a Dicor before my ciaz and I am back to driving the Storme daily now.

Surprising when you say Storme's clutch is hard. Infact I find is very light, as light and effortless to use as my ciaz. The clutch play is longer but it isn't hard. Our rapid 1.6 tdi has a harder clucth than my Storme.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 3rd February 2021 at 11:27.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 11:39   #4686
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I owned one for 5.5 years clocking 1.33 lakh km. Ciaz is an effortless car to drive and is also very comfortable. The best ride quality in the C2 sedan space, city coming close(or equal with the new gen).

I drove a Dicor before my ciaz and I am back to driving the Storme daily now.

Surprising when you say Storme's clutch is hard. Infact I find is very light, as light and effortless to use as my ciaz. The clutch play is longer but it isn't hard. Our rapid 1.6 tdi has a harder clucth than my Storme.
Behram Dhabhar, rest his soul, had a force gauge inbuilt into his left foot. He could drive your Storme around the block and tell you within a few units what the reading on the company test gauge would be for your clutch pedal force.

Storme clutch does get hard after a while. Depending on how you use it.

Still nowhere close to the old Dicors which is probably your frame of reference.

It helps with my cycling, since my left leg like for most of us is my non dominant leg.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 3rd February 2021 at 11:41.
ebonho is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 11:43   #4687
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post

Storme clutch dies get hard after a while. Depending on how you use it.

Still nowhere close to the old Dicors which is probably your frame of reference.
Doesnt the last gen Storme come with self adjusting clutch? I am not sure.

True. The Dicor was a beast, be it turning radius (almost 6m) or ease of use. It was hardcore. Storme is much easier to use. I used to plan well before making a U turn with the Dicor while in storme I just don't worry at all. 5.4 meters turning radius, as small as the ciaz.
Old 3rd February 2021, 11:47   #4688
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Doesnt the last gen Storme come with self adjusting clutch? I am not sure.

True. The Dicor was a beast, be it turning radius (almost 6m) or ease of use. It was hardcore. Storme is much easier to use. I used to plan well before making a U turn with the Dicor while in storme I just don't worry at all. 5.4 meters turning radius, as small as the ciaz.
I think you are right. But my Storme is the first one from 2012 end 2013 February bought. Not a Varicor.

The turning radius is amazing. Even my brother who drives a city was amazed.

Dicor guys first time when they see where you start turning in, are sure you are going to mount the pavement like a tank (which again, is normal for them lol).

Also the steering feel in a Storme is very direct. When I drive a Dicor a large initial part of the steering input is dead space where nothing happens. Like the truck is warming up to start it's turn.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 3rd February 2021 at 11:49.
ebonho is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 15:03   #4689
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybrain View Post
Storme is pain to drive in bumper to bumper traffic since clutch feels very hard.
Which year/month is your Storme ?
The clutch on mine is now at 70k, and doing fine. Though I think the plates are wearing out (I feel a judder at certain times). The hardness is fine and hoping to stretch the clutch some more before I replace it. Mine's a 2013 April with one replacement under the Gold AMC @ about 25k - due to hardness.
condor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 15:07   #4690
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The clutch on mine is now at 70k, and doing fine. Though I think the plates are wearing out (I feel a judder at certain times). The hardness is fine and hoping to stretch the clutch some more before I replace it. Mine's a 2013 April with one replacement under the Gold AMC @ about 25k - due to hardness.
That AMC was God's gift man. Wish Tata Motors had given/offered a longer one. Best money I ever spent.

Since its ceased, spending 20-25K on a service has become the norm (twice now for me, though admittedly over 4 years). Definitely a culture shock. Though the feel of a freshly serviced Storme is priceless.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 16:31   #4691
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The clutch on mine is now at 70k, and doing fine. Though I think the plates are wearing out (I feel a judder at certain times). The hardness is fine and hoping to stretch the clutch some more before I replace it. .
Mine lasted 1,05,000 km in my Dicor. But that truck was driven 80% on highways, 10% on rural roads and never in bumper to bumper traffic. Perks of living in a tier II city I guess.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 20:59   #4692
Senior - BHPian

Very surreal and humbling experience today. An army Storme, GS 800. Driven by a young guy, without an afsar at the back. So he was enjoying himself. As was I. On the way to work.

At a traffic light, I get a nice slot. I see him behind me. The traffic to my left gets an opening up in front, as traffic I'm Poona always does, even at a standstill traffic light. Like water taking the path of least resistance (obstacles in this case, inch by inch, like the Bedouin and his camel).

Now that there's empty teal estate on my left, army boy in his OG Storme pulls alongside.

And here's the HORROR. He looks DOWN at me into my cabin, smiling behind his face mask.

DAMN!!!! Double damn man. That thing is T.A.L.L!!!!! What a stance.

I console myself. Maybe his wheels are on the raised manhole covers I'd noticed on the left. He pulls ahead. And I notice the yummy alloys painted matte OG. Then the Shaktiman type tread tyres.

And the HUGE space between the tyres and the wheel arches.

I come to work a d first chance I get I Google for the GS 800.

Special high performance beefed up rear axle. Because of which it does not get rear discs, but brake drums (gimme that!). And completely reworked raised suspension to be able to maintain a FULlY LADEN ground clearance of 200 mm.. With a full load of 800 kilos!!!!

Man what a beast! Loved it.

I swear his windowsill was a good 6 inches higher than mine. He was that close, and exactly in line with and parallel to me.

Thought I'd share with the Storme boys here. And maybe save some heartburn. Lol

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 21:55   #4693
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
And here's the HORROR. He looks DOWN at me into my cabin, smiling behind his face mask.
Doc, I hope you at least waved to him, gave him a thumbs up, or at least flashed your lights once he passed you.

But felt good reading your post, about the young soldier.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 23:04   #4694
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Doc, I hope you at least waved to him, gave him a thumbs up, or at least flashed your lights once he passed you.

But felt good reading your post, about the young soldier.
Once I managed to close my gaping mouth I smiled at him as well. We were stood side by side for maybe 15-20 seconds before the green came on.

But sadly an infantry friend (a motorhead too) tells me these have been a horror story for the army. Toppling easily. At the slightest steering aggressive input. Many deaths over the last year. The most recent being 3 months back when two officers died in Bikaner on the highway trying to avoid a cow.

Due to the increased height, there is a lot of body roll and it feels very nervous, and apparently topples easily at the slightest of hard steering input. Drivers have been specifically briefed to be careful on the highways and stick to the speed limits strictly.

Also no more Stormes coming to the Army anymore, so the faint glimmer of hope I had of the Army keeping the Storme (and spares and parts) alive is gone.

But man, that thing LOOKS super sexy.

Our own desi Humvee.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 3rd February 2021 at 23:08.
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2021, 09:46   #4695
BHPian

Quote:
Mine is May 2014 Model. I have already changed clutch assembly once when my safari touched 55K at ODO. The master and slave cylinder went kaput

Now at 80000 kms on ODO there is no problem with clutch as such, just feels bit hard during bumper to bumper traffic.

In general I always felt clutch feels hard during bumper to bumper traffic (likes of silk board junction, Sarakki signal etc.) from Day 1 I purchased safari.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks