Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2019, 15:33   #4576
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
I believe these electronic controlled ones became pretty standard around early 2000s so I'm a bit shocked that the Scorpio uses a legacy type pneumatic one still . More surprised since both engines had their roots in the same AVL block in previous generations of the mHawk & Dicor.
I had asked them to clean it my Scorpio 4WD, so I don't know if it is electronic or not, but because they claimed that they cleaned it [no charges].

I confirmed with the SM, it too uses an electronic EGR and they said they cleaned it with some additives.

Quote:
However - the biggest joke in that response is not electronic EGR valve. Not cleaning the valve earlier because it is electronic is simply .

I guess he is looking at a bill of around 20k INR for the fix. Would it be possible to find what exactly "failed"? I'm guessing the solenoid called quits...
He was asked to cough up 53K for a new EGR. I am forwarding him this link, he can read and do his home work prior to going ahead with replacement of EGR.

Thanks .
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2019, 15:51   #4577
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I had asked them to clean it my Scorpio 4WD, so I don't know if it is electronic or not, but because they claimed that they cleaned it [no charges].
I confirmed with the SM, it too uses an electronic EGR and they said they cleaned it with some additives.
Ah that makes sense. I won't be surprised if infact the same OEM supplies for both car makers. Yes they use a spray for de-carbonization. Nothing more. As much as we wish they went ahead to manually clean it like we would in detail - they don't.
Quote:
He was asked to cough up 53K for a new EGR. I am forwarding him this link, he can read and do his home work prior to going ahead with replacement of EGR.
Thanks
I guess then its for changing the whole assembly - valve, EG cooler plumbing etc. Together they'd cost this much I guess.

Have a look here -
Link - Boodmo - Tata Hexa EGR valve

Link - Boodmo - Tata Safari EGR valves (across generations)

Just the valves are nowhere near 50k. I was surprised to see the quoted amount & checked it out. the combined price for the valve + EGR cooler will surely reach 50k though. So it seems that's what they are going for.

I suggest tell your friend to dig more. Ask for specifics & see exactly what is kaput. If its just the valve - he should demand just for the valve to be changed & reuse existing cooling plumbing. It would cost him less then half the quoted amount in that case. Unless there is a justified reason to change it all, I don't see why to.

Of course - owners can throw more light if any experience available on forum.

Last edited by Reinhard : 29th November 2019 at 15:53.
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th November 2019, 17:20   #4578
Distinguished - BHPian

@Reinhard & @Sheel - From whatever I could gather from Boodmo - For Hexa the EGR cooler & Valve with associated plumbing appears to be coming as one assembly. That maybe the reason for the cost.

# 12 on this link.

https://spareshub.oriparts.com/3/336...#item_11370170

The Mhawk engine in Scorpio comes with a vacuum pump & modulators (several) that take care of Brakes, EGR etc. Its an old setup perhaps, but pretty cheap to replace. I have replaced all vacuum modulators after 5 years as they started vibrating.
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2019, 18:25   #4579
Senior - BHPian

Another thing to look out for now! EGR!
I had a breakdown in the middle of a busy road while performing a U-Turn!
Suddenly the power steering went kaput! Started straightening itself no matter how hard I pulled. I just moved the car diagonally into a store's front bay and called the Towing Service.

There was a pool of power steering oil all over the road. The pipe went bust!

Now the problem was that this happened at 9PM at night! And I was with my expecting wife!

Now the vehicle was fixed by the dealership under warranty and all is well but seriously it brings back bad memories from my past Safari ownerships.
Man! I have lost quite a bit of confidence in this car now!
navpreet318 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th November 2019, 19:52   #4580
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
This is not new. EGR valve is present in every modern turbo diesel engine and they fail all over the world quite regularly in fact.

I had mine replaced in the revered Fiat 1.3 MJD
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2019, 11:06   #4581
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is not new. EGR valve is present in every modern turbo diesel engine and they fail all over the world quite regularly in fact.

I had mine replaced in the revered Fiat 1.3 MJD
Well, It might be the Fiat MJD in your Vista, but I am sure EGR would be from one of Tata's other vendors. Or is the EGR also a FIAT branded one ? I think the problem is with Tata's vendors and the vendor quality assurance contracts. The failure rate of such components is simply higher in Tata cars. Couple of members in our Hexa group also had their EGRs replaced under warranty, But I think the cars never broke down, It was a check engine light which was fixed with EGR replacement.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 30th November 2019 at 11:08.
Old 30th November 2019, 11:16   #4582
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
Well, It might be the Fiat MJD in your Vista, but I am sure EGR would be from one of Tata's other vendors. Or is the EGR also a FIAT branded one ? I think the problem is with Tata's vendors and the vendor quality assurance contracts. The failure rate of such components is simply higher in Tata cars. Couple of members in our Hexa group also had their EGRs replaced under warranty, But I think the cars never broke down, It was a check engine light which was fixed with EGR replacement.
Tata and Fiat both made the engine on the same assembly line in Tata-Fiat joint factory in Ranjangaon, unlike the Maruti DDiS. Everything except the Quadrajet badge on engine cover is identical.

Also, EGR valve failure rarely causes a stranding on street with breakdown. Engine continues to run. Generally loss of power, turbo boost and check engine light are the only symptoms. I'm not sure if the case that @Sheel mentioned is of an on road breakdown. Or its presumed?
Old 30th November 2019, 17:15   #4583
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also, EGR valve failure rarely causes a stranding on street with breakdown. Engine continues to run. Generally loss of power, turbo boost and check engine light are the only symptoms. I'm not sure if the case that @Sheel mentioned is of an on road breakdown. Or its presumed?
Quote:
A friend's Storme has done 1.4L kms and he happened to have his first breakdown in all these kilometers.
Since he explicitly said it was a break down, I assumed it was a case of getting stranded on road. Only @Sheel can clarify.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 30th November 2019 at 17:18.
padmrajravi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2019, 09:44   #4584
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Suddenly the power steering went kaput! Started straightening itself no matter how hard I pulled. I just moved the car diagonally into a store's front bay and called the Towing Service.

There was a pool of power steering oil all over the road. The pipe went bust!
It was a power steering pump failure and nothing to do with EGR. Just keep your EGR cleaned out every 2 years and there shouldn't be any problems. It's a mechanical EGR no ?

Last edited by Sheel : 1st December 2019 at 10:52. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Thanks.
Old 1st December 2019, 11:02   #4585
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
It was a power steering pump failure and nothing to do with EGR. Just keep your EGR cleaned out every 2 years and there shouldn't be any problems. It's a mechanical EGR no ?
Please read my post again. I'm mechanically sound enough to know the difference between an EGR and a power steering.

Let me explain my post for your easy understanding.

My first line was made to Express my feelings that there is another component to be careful about. I have never had an EGR fail in any of my safaris , my swift deisel or any other vehicles which I have owned earlier. Lucky me.

Next part was a recent failure which I had. About which i was anguished in the manner it happened. I was satisfied in the way it was promptly worked on my the local dealership. Though it shouldn't have happened.

Regular services are done for preventive maintenance which should prevent failures such as my power steering or EGR as mentioned by Sheel.

But I'm surprised that despite being a very proactive service station, there is frankly no preventive manner of judging the quality of vendor supplied articles and how they might fail. This needs to be standardized and tracking should be done by Tata. This cannot be handled by the dealership as Tata generally lays all blamed on the dealer and washes its hands off.

I hope my post is clear now. For further details into my ownership and overall experience with Tata you can please look up my Strome ownership thread. Will give you more clarity about where I come from.
navpreet318 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2019, 11:24   #4586
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
T
It was a break-down. It started with loss of power, my friend slowed down to check, opened the bonnet, couldn't spot anything amiss. He switched it off and the Storme went dead, no warning lights or anything. He was on his way to Kolkata. He called the toll free, they arranged for a tow or flat-bed [haven't asked specifically] and it was attended at Dumka, Jharkhand.

They bypassed the EGR [as per my friend] and he drove back to Purnia.

He will look at solenoids and other stuff prior to deciding on anything. Thanks for the head-sup about it @Reinhard .

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
Since he explicitly said it was a break down, I assumed it was a case of getting stranded on road. Only @Sheel can clarify.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2019, 23:17   #4587
Senior - BHPian

Can anyone help me to source a used EGR for my storm?

Part no. is 278914110182
Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-img_20191126_124337356_hdr.jpg

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-img_20191126_124306095.jpg

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-img_20191126_124416546.jpg

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-img_20191126_124357853_hdr.jpg

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-img_20191126_124331932.jpg

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-img_20191126_124316667.jpg
jeepster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2019, 23:33   #4588
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post

Part no. is 278914110182
Used, Working parts for Stormes are going to be almost impossible to find. The number of Stormes is relatively low, and any parts must come from scrapped vehicles. How many Stormes have we heard of being scrapped ?
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2019, 09:35   #4589
Senior - BHPian

Interesting. Another one gone. Since it is a vendor supplied item from Valeo, try to see if it can be sourced from the aftermarket. Valeo is from the Anand Group of companies which make Gabriel etc. and have a very strong aftermarket section.

Another thing can be to check if this part is being supplied to some other model too. Generally costs are saved this way. I don't think Valeo would make just 150 to 200 pieces per month just to supply to the storme.

On another note, seems I will need to get mine checked and cleaned asap too.
navpreet318 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2019, 12:55   #4590
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
Excellent picture! I remember I had seen this being installed. For information -

RED Box - Electronic Solenoids
YELLOW Box - Actual EGR valve
BLUE Box - Cooling plumbing

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-storme_egt.jpg

All these 3 are actually disjoint items screwed together. Do check if any components are separately available. I think they are on Boodmo. Most of the items except the actual solenoid are actually also field serviceable if people are willing & not necessarily irreparable.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks