Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2020, 22:07   #4651
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by madred15 View Post
I want to know if the engine trouble is normal around the 90 kms point? What are the probable failure points and what kind of bills can one expect

Does the suspension require a rebuild and what are the parts that would need replacement, my guess is springs & associated parts need to be replaced.
Engine not performing normally at 90k is not normal. Before you get into any engine/injector related work, I suggest you first try:

1. Cleaning agents. Try anything like ABRO or good ones (one bottle to the tank).
2. System-D or IOC's Addon-D to diesel after that first tank-full. (1 ml per litre). Do this for a few tank-fulls.

3. ** Change your fuel station. **. Check out for popular bunks / COCO bunks near your place / regular route. (even though Shell is good, I actually avoid Shell, and go to IOC or Reliance).

4. Clean the MAF sensor. Also check the air-filter at this time.

5. Engine flush and new engine oil.

Try avoid any engine work. But for the clutch, if pickup is still down after #1-#5, then you may need to change it.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 10:20   #4652
BHPian

Hey guys, urgent suggestion required regarding clutch change in my Storme VX 2017 model.
I have just visited for my last service in gold AMC, got the regular service done. They also changed front disc and F&R disc pads under AMC. Engine mounts under warranty.
They told me that they can also change clutch but the part was not in stock. They have ordered it and change it at a later stage.

My vehicle has run only 36k kms and clutch is fine. Only a small bit of hard compared to a new vehicle. I need your suggestion whether to go for the replacement or not? Is there any major issue if I get the stock clutch changed?
Old 27th November 2020, 16:40   #4653
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prateek19 View Post
My vehicle has run only 36k kms and clutch is fine. Only a small bit of hard compared to a new vehicle. I need your suggestion whether to go for the replacement or not? Is there any major issue if I get the stock clutch changed?
No harm in getting it changed. However, I wonder why TASS agreed to change it if there is no issue. I tried to get my changed during in AMC and they refused saying it is perfectly alright.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 17:03   #4654
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prateek19 View Post
Hey guys, urgent suggestion required regarding clutch change in my Storme VX 2017 model.
I have just visited for my last service in gold AMC, got the regular service done. They also changed front disc and F&R disc pads under AMC. Engine mounts under warranty.
They told me that they can also change clutch but the part was not in stock. They have ordered it and change it at a later stage.

I too had Gold AMC and got mine changed just before it ended.

Disc pads too. All 4 wheels. Front ones around 6 months before the rear.

And wipers every year. The entire set of three.

Of course, yours is a 2017 Storme and mine is a first lot 2013 Storme.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 27th November 2020 at 17:16.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 17:58   #4655

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSierra View Post
only 50 K kms for clutch change? This is sad. Also how do you know that the new clutch wore out within 30 k kms? Did you get it physically inspected or are you mentioning it just based on the symptoms like loss of power and less fuel efficiency? It might not be the clutch but something else, which you mentioned in point 2.

Madred15 - thanks for your response it helped me with the troubleshooting. About the clutch it was checked and recommended by T.A.S.S that it was worn out and no explanation was provided for such a quick wearout hopefully the new one will last longer.

Quote:
Get it checked at T.A.S.S, local mechanics might not have expertise or scanner to check for issues, a full system scan on diagnosis will show up any issues, it could be ignition fuse, faulty starter relay in addition to a weak cell in battery or a bad starter motor.
I got it checked with T.A.S.S and it appears that one of the wires was damaged by a rat so it was set right.

Quote:
Since your car has done only 80 k kms, it is good time to use Engine flush and engine oil treatment. Also get your injectors cleaned. Over time there will be lot of soot and carbon deposits formed on the mechanical part of injectors and also on the engine head valves, guide seals and pistons, I wouldn't recommend engine oil flush to a high mileage car (1.5 L + kms), but since yours is only 80 K kms, you can comfortably use it.

Injector cleaning can be done in 2 ways, physically remove the injectors and get them cleaned at Delphi / Bosch / Lucas / Mico service centers, otherwise you can use this injector cleaner
Liqui Moly diesel injector cleaner

This product can be mixed in 1 tankful of diesel, It says it is not suitable for Storme in amazon vehicle compatibility list, may be it is not fed into the system, but it is actually suitable. It is not suitable for BS6 cars with DPF, for all other diesel cars we can safely use this product.

I also used Liqui Moly engine oil flush and oil treatment, here are the product links :

https://www.amazon.in/Liqui-Moly-Engine-Oil-Flush/dp/B01HSAGL34/

https://www.amazon.in/Liqui-Moly-LMOA-Engine-Treatment/dp/B01III7GSY

Note: Flush should be used only once, it is not recommended during every oil change, also it is not advisable to use engine oil flush on older cars which clocked more than 1.5 lakh kms.
This is next on my to do list want to take it for a longish drive soon.

Quote:
Could be worn out shock bushes and some other bushes (rubber parts), nothing major would fail in the rear suspension for just 80 k kms.
I asked the T.A.S.S guy to specifically check and replace the bushes and it has since improved the ride quality a lot though I am not sure if it has fully solved the problem. My first impression is it is a lot better but need to check with more people to see if it bottoms out under the weight.

Quote:
As I previously mentioned, it might not be any engine trouble, engine trouble means excess consumption of engine oil, check your engine oil dipstick and if it is drinking too much oil, you might have to worry, but as I said, get the injectors cleaned, or try cheaper injector cleaner liquid in a tankful of diesel during a highway drive, drive the vehicle at high speeds like 100 kmph in lower gears (3rd or 4th) for 5 to 10 minutes, you can smell carbon burning smell, that's the carbon / soot deposited on the engine components like valves, pistons, exhaust manifold, turbo components, cat, exhaust pipes.
Next thing to do on my list first will try with the additive and then try the other steps. I will be monitoring the oil consumption from hereon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Engine not performing normally at 90k is not normal.
======
Try avoid any engine work. But for the clutch, if pickup is still down after #1-#5, then you may need to change it.
Will be going ahead with the engine cleaning agents, additives and will avoid any engine work.

MOD NOTE - You are requested to go through our detailed FAQ where you can learn how to reply, quote, edit and host of other bits which will make reading and replying on Team-BHP delightful.

Also request you to go through our Forum Rules.

Last edited by Sheel : 4th January 2021 at 11:12. Reason: Mod note attached.
madred15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2021, 12:48   #4656
BHPian

Tata Motors posts a video - 'Safari - We Miss You'
Quote:
The SUV that changed the game, and let you make your own road.
The Beast.
The Legend.
Safari, we miss you. #ReclaimYourLife
Old 10th January 2021, 00:49   #4657
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR96 View Post
Tata Motors posts a video - 'Safari - We Miss You'
I'm really loving driving the Safari Storme 2WD - a default due to my Fortuner getting flooded...
Old 10th January 2021, 08:53   #4658
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madred15 View Post
Madred15 - thanks for your response it helped me with the troubleshooting.
Madred15, any progress on this ? Hope it has been resolved and without major work.

Last week had to park very close to the footpath on a not very wide road. There was a plastic over (garbage) on the road - someone carelessly throwing it instead of in the pile on the footpath a little away. When coming, I ran over this, and the cover was sticking to the rear left tyre. After about 50m, people began pointing out to this. We stopped and pulled it out - only to disover a plastic piece with four 2 inch nails, some of these a little deep. Result: 3 punctures
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 06:18   #4659
BHPian

Hi all

Something strange happened to the vehicle yesterday. I had put the front ac on low cooling due to the cold weather outside. Yesterday when I switched on the AC the front blowers started blowing hot air even at high cool while the rear AC worked just fine.
Any idea what the issue would be. I would like to do a DIY before I take the vehicle to the mechanic
Cheers
Subra
Old 18th January 2021, 11:38   #4660
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subraiyr View Post
Hi all

Something strange happened to the vehicle yesterday. I had put the front ac on low cooling due to the cold weather outside. Yesterday when I switched on the AC the front blowers started blowing hot air even at high cool while the rear AC worked just fine.
Any idea what the issue would be. I would like to do a DIY before I take the vehicle to the mechanic
Cheers
Subra
The issue is most likely a stuck actuator switch, which is supposed to regulate the AC temperature. The Storme's AC temperature regulation works with the coolant temperature, wherein the heating part (low cooling) is driven off the coolant temp. The problem is, the switch which is supposed to regulate the hot air from the coolant end (driven off the AC temp knob), can open wide and get stuck there, even if it is set to low cooling, instead of full heating. This mechanism can be accessed on the center console, driver side (foot well) panel.

I'd the exact same issue on mine (had posted on the V400 review thread). While it was a task to identify the cause itself, there's no easy fix for it, given the design. All the TASS could do was free it up a lil' bit and that was it. While it worked when I'd last tested it, I wouldn't be surprised if it is back to its old days. I just stopped playing the temp. knob altogether.

Apologies for the delayed response, hope this helps.
avinash_m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2021, 11:56   #4661
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_m View Post
T

I'd the exact same issue on mine (had posted on the V400 review thread). While it was a task to identify the cause itself, there's no easy fix for it, given the design. All the TASS could do was free it up a lil' bit and that was it. While it worked when I'd last tested it, I wouldn't be surprised if it is back to its old days. I just stopped playing the temp. knob altogether.

Apologies for the delayed response, hope this helps.
Hi Avinash thanks for the response. The first thing i checked is the coolant level. It was quite low, so i topped off the coolant and for now it is working fine. However, it brings me to another question. The coolant was topped off about 6 months ago and the miles driven is below 500km. A/C usage was much lesser as well. Now wondering how the coolant dropped to minimum. Checked on leakages of both radiator as well as the additional tank

Would like to get some thoughts
Old 18th January 2021, 17:21   #4662
Distinguished - BHPian

Got a routine oil change service done today at Prerana Motors, Kudlu gate. Odo at 93839 km, and 7 years 9 months since purchase. Coincidentally this was a year after the last service and 13.3k running since then. Bill was 6.5k. Also asked them to do a scan, and no issues reported.

Last edited by condor : 18th January 2021 at 17:45.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2021, 12:14   #4663
BHPian

Changed the oil myself with the help of BHPian a4anurag.

The user manual says 7.5 lists litres but we didn't even put 7 litres into the engine. And the Dipstick shows between min and Max.

Still have like 300 ml extra sitting in my boot. We waited for a really long time for it to drain. Until the last drop.

The oil filter only needs to be hand tightened. No need of more force. There is a gap at the filter that makes it look like It isn't tightened fully. But no leaks since a week. Used daily.

I need help with a problem. The AC is blowing very cold air and the temp dial doesn't do anything. It has only two modes now, cold and hot. No change of temp at all.
Old 31st January 2021, 08:49   #4664
BHPian

Re: Driven : 2021 Tata Safari XZA+ 6 seater

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post

If I had to sell my 3 year old 2018 Storme V400 which has just run 26k km, I would get a maximum of 9 lakhs as resale. And I bought it for 17 lakhs!
Prasanna - i was actually planning to ask you that question. Was checking a March 2018 Tata Safari Storme in OLX https://www.olx.in/item/tata-safari-...iid-1618174585 and while chatting with the dealer i went through Team BHP and found you have a similar aged/specd storme. Was thought of asking you what would be the ball park figure for such a car and now got your answer !! Thanks !!

Regards
Dev
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-tatasafari1.jpeg  

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-tatasafari2.jpeg  

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20210121-12.37.05-pm.jpeg  

irdevanand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 09:02   #4665
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Driven : 2021 Tata Safari XZA+ 6 seater

Quote:
Originally Posted by irdevanand View Post
Prasanna - i was actually planning to ask you that question.
Regards
Dev
Mods, please excuse the off-topic post.

I have a few red flags

1. The car has a bull bar, and I guess it was used by some one in politics, which isn't a bad thing in itself, except that they drive a lot and the car is always driven by the driver.

2. Not many buy a storme and drive just 30k km in 3 years unless they have multiple cars (in my case I have 3 other cars and hence storme wasn't used much).

We don't really know if the owner had other cars at his disposal as the ad has been posted by a used car dealer.

3. Used car dealers, in most cases, tamper the odo. So you never know if it has actually run just 30k km or more. Tire wear can be an indicator, but SUV tyres last really long (>80k km).

If that car has been driven by one owner and the odo is legit, and if it is in immaculate condition, 10 lakhs is a good price.

9 lakhs would be a steal- its a Varicor 400(better torque than even the new safari) and it is the last gen safari, which is the best safari ever sold(not including the Gravitas here)!

PS: Current Storme owners, pls dont take offense that the resale i have quoted is too low. I have quoted the reality. I have sold safari in the past, and sadly truth hurts. Moreover a 2018 Safari buyer did not buy it with resale as a priority. It was bought with passion and usually passion towards anything with motors and wheels is pretty costly.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 31st January 2021 at 09:06.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks