Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2022, 13:19   #4771
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybrain View Post
On the way back I had to tank up at Shirdi before proceeding to bangalore and my storme this time gave me FE of 15.5 kmpl

Really commendable for 7.5 years storme now and almost 90K on ODO
And why do you think either the age (7.5 Years) or the Odometer reading (90k which is still not end of life) matter here?

Both my cars (one is petrol and the other is diesel) have clocked way over 2 L km and I still get the same FE as day 1. This is possible when you ensure that (1) The vehicle is in top condition - Engine, Fluid, Mechanicals (2) Your driving style hasn't changed (or improved)

I feel any car no matter how old will return same FE in respective modes (eco, power etc.) if you take care of them. We have a Verna that has clocked more than 3 lacs and delivers the same performance and FE even today.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2022, 13:23   #4772
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post

they are very cheap in comparison to the other IPH, BlazeIndia etc. options and I trust HELLA so I wanted to go ahead with these. WHat do you guys think?
This one by BHPian LeoShashi should help your project. Headlight beam and Fog lamp beam are quite different though.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post5217961 (My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review)
Old 21st January 2022, 21:58   #4773

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinkara View Post
So I have a niggle - the lid of the dashboard recess has broken and it stays open.
Wanted to get it closed. It seems the clip or even the lid is not available and I need to replace the entire dashboard.

I will probably it fixed in an accessory shop / hardware store. Fit and finish - really.
You can take out Utility Assembly(Check the Video link) and remove the springs at back(DIY), this will atleast keep it closed. And if you really need to buy the clip, its an imported part and manufactured by Southco costs 1k.

Link to plastic latch: https://in.rsdelivers.com/product/so...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Link for Disassembly Video:
shyam078 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 14:57   #4774
Senior - BHPian

Latest casualties on my Storme that will need replacement.

1) The motor of the front wipers (whole assembly was overhauled, but the motor is making a whirring sound)

2) The horns have completely gone (tried tuning them the last time, but that barely lasted a few days)

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 15:07   #4775
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
The horns have completely gone (tried tuning them the last time, but that barely lasted a few days
I fear I am in the same boat. Right now it is random - with 3-4 bangs it is working once. I am driving back to Gurgaon from Kolkata tomorrow - will get it checked once back. Along with the dashboard box.
chinkara is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 15:13   #4776
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Latest casualties on my Storme that will need replacement.

1) The motor of the front wipers (whole assembly was overhauled, but the motor is making a whirring sound)

2) The horns have completely gone (tried tuning them the last time, but that barely lasted a few days)

Cheers, Doc
1. Common issue, replace it for peace of mind, its going to be a bit pricey.
2. Roots Vibro-mini - direct replacement, no relays needed and its cheap, small enough to fit into the stock location.
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 15:31   #4777
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
1. Common issue, replace it for peace of mind, its going to be a bit pricey.
2. Roots Vibro-mini - direct replacement, no relays needed and its cheap, small enough to fit into the stock location.
Thanks bro. The horns are how much for a set. The Tata horns are definitely pricey.
Old 25th January 2022, 15:55   #4778
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks bro. The horns are how much for a set. The Tata horns are definitely pricey.
~700 - 800 INR, depends on the shop. Vibro mini is not riveted, so it can be opened up and repaired as needed.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 16:03   #4779
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
~700 - 800 INR, depends on the shop. Vibro mini is not riveted, so it can be opened up and repaired as needed.
And it sounds sufficiently "Safari" (masculine, non puny)? Sounds like a no brainer. Thanks a ton once again.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 13:29   #4780
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zadoom View Post
The clip only indeed is not available, at least at TASS. since you mentioned lid, I am assuming yours is a VX. I had the same issue and the TASS had ordered the entire storage unit (not the dashboard).
So a quick update on this dashboard storage space issue that some of us are facing. I finally got my car back a few days back and it seems indeed the storage unit is not available separately, you either have to change the entire dashboard or find only the clip to make it work again. Unfortunately in my case they have tried multiple times but it seems none in stock anywhere so I am back to locking the storage unit with masking tape :(

1 option that the SA gave was to go get a small drawer lock kind of a lock installed on the lid so there are no expensive parts to be replaced in the future plus you can get the storage unit back to its functional self. Am a bit apprehensive about the additional rattles it might cause so not yet got it done but am planning to explore further. In case anyone has any experience with a similar jugaad on their stormes, please do share.

Thanks,
M
Old 9th February 2022, 18:37   #4781
BHPian

The midlife crisis for me and my ride

Its one of those posts which honestly I don`t know how to draft and so moderators please bear with me.

Incase there is a relevant thread I request moderators to pls guide the post to it.

So my Tata Safari storme has completed 8 years in existence and I have three reasons for not letting it go.

1. No alternative (both in same budget and next level too).
2. I just dont want to let it go.
3. Resale value is just not there and I am not in a mood to make any new purchase.

So considering all these factors, I want to keep it with me for another three to four years at least and so I am thinking about giving it a midlife update to my ride(should I or shouldn’t it).

So the confusion as to which journey to take:

Cosmetically:

1. My ride is Urban bronze colour which I feel is the most apt colour for storme (other colour storme owners please forgive me). So not able to make up my mind whether I should change the colour and if yes which would be more suiting. Barring a few scratches, the colour is fine. Need special mention to the paint quality Tata has put. Just yesterday, after it was washed my daughter was telling me that our storme looks just like new.

2. Incase I don’t change the colour, should I go with PPF for the complete ride for a piece of mind since I belong to a tier IV city with careless wash guys.

3. Should I wrap it so that I can go back to original colour after some time.

4. The model is EX with steel rims so would like to upgrade to Alloys and need suggestions as to which would suit better. I don’t like protruding type and would prefer the stock look. I like the hexa ones or the twin pipe design that Tata used while displaying it at Delhi Expo.

5. The model came with single din JVC audio system so would like to upgrade to any android touch screen setup with navigation option. Instead of fixing the screen at the base would like to fix it at the top for the ease of navigation.

Mechanically:

So here is the issue. As many of the storme owners have pointed out about the knocking sound of injectors, I had injectors cleaned by Mohan Bhai at Naveen diesels in Mumbai a few months backs. After it was done there was this weird new knocking sound for a few seconds when accelerator is pushed. Took it to TASS and as per there lead mechanic it is because the injectors are cleaned and after settling of some carbon it wouldn’t be there. I don’t understand that logic because if that’s the case then new storme should also make that sound. Anyways, delphi injectors guys were called for a deep scanning which said all things are good and no issues. If more investigation required, we have to again open the injectors and I did`nt want to do that and so it was left at it.

Now in this situation, I was thinking of getting it tuned or mapped for a better performance and efficiency but this injector sound is creating apprehensions if something new crops up. So what would experts say. Should I go for it when the ride is at 110000 KMs. Is it advisable.

So a humble request to all the members of this esteemed forum to pool in your thoughts and guide me through this storm.

God Bless!
jacobsam is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th February 2022, 07:51   #4782
Senior - BHPian

Re: The midlife crisis for me and my ride

IMO keep the car.
Watch those brilliant Reclaim Your Life ads if you're feeling the itch

- Don't change the colour, won't feel like the factory finish and also illegal the last time I checked since the registration info specifies the colour.

- PPF would need more care than paint since it would be easier for them to scratch the softer PPF layer and IIRC a 3M guy had also asked to be extra careful when cleaning the PPF.
IMO get it detailed at a good place and probably a ceramic coating done.

- Wraps and Alloys are your call, I liked the Safari steel wheels but if you really want to then get the alloys first.

- Modern HU should be a good addition, be mindful of the mounting so it doesn't start to rattle over bad roads.

No idea on the rest, someone better informed will guide you.
Good Luck.

Last edited by shancz : 10th February 2022 at 07:59. Reason: formatting
Old 10th February 2022, 10:22   #4783
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The midlife crisis for me and my ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobsam View Post
So here is the issue. As many of the storme owners have pointed out about the knocking sound of injectors, I had injectors cleaned by Mohan Bhai at Naveen diesels in Mumbai a few months backs. After it was done there was this weird new knocking sound for a few seconds when accelerator is pushed. Took it to TASS and as per there lead mechanic it is because the injectors are cleaned and after settling of some carbon it wouldn’t be there. I don’t understand that logic because if that’s the case then new storme should also make that sound. Anyways, delphi injectors guys were called for a deep scanning which said all things are good and no issues. If more investigation required, we have to again open the injectors and I did`nt want to do that and so it was left at it.
This cannot be fixed by injector service, you will need to replace all 4. Knocking means it is also producing good amount of soot, that soot will contaminate your oil and kill other things eventually. Incase you wish to keep running this as is, please change your engine oil & filter more often.

I will also recommend not to tune this engine for more power, the cooling system is may not take it without adequate mods there as well.
Kosfactor is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th March 2022, 08:33   #4784
BHPian

Strange issue cropped up in my 2014 (320NM) Storme.
I was driving down towards home when all of a sudden i felt it was getting warm inside the car. That's when i realised that the AC is not working. I stopped by the side and noticed neither blower (at any fan speed) was working and also the vents were not cool/cold. i assumed it might be a blown fuse and continued towards my home (4 kms away). I also stopped to refuel and to my surprise the fuel cap was not opening from the button on driver door switch. Had to open the manual way from the back door, pulling the wire behind the tail lamp.

Once i reached home, i observed the following things not working:-

1. Parking lights not working (But low beam, high beam and also indicator works)
2. Fuel flap doesn't open using the button
3. AC Blower won't work
4. Central locking won't work

I checked the user manual today and noticed that all these are handled by separate fuses and relays. How can multiple fuses blow out at one instance?

Please advice if anyone has come across such issues. Does this warrant a TASS visit or might a my "well known" FNG would be able to diagnose it.

Thanks in advance.
Old 5th March 2022, 11:08   #4785
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post
Strange issue cropped up in my 2014 (320NM) Storme.
You may want to check the battery. My Zest threw a lot of tantrums including check engine light when battery was weak.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks