Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2014, 10:29   #3271
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ortho_surgeon View Post
Tata has churned out plenty of lemons in the past, definitely their brand image has taken a beating.

We had an Indigo Manza in our family in the past, which had wheel alignment issues and significant pulling from day one. We were lucky to sell it off at the end of 2 years. The time that car spent at the workshop was much more than it spent on the road. We barely used for 14000kms. Please check various forums, you will find many such instances.

The stigma of the past is still there in many ex- Tata customers.
Thanks for info I own a Safari since 2008 and happily munching miles . Certainly yours is not the first post on this but of you got a lamon then A.S.C had very little role in that.
In my experience with ASC of 4 brands TASC goes out of the way to help whereas Honda is least helpful and rudest.
amitk26 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th August 2014, 12:08   #3272
Senior - BHPian

While I am always critical of TML ( and I have also put my money on 2 Tata cars in just the last 2 yrs ), I have to agree with Amitk26 that TASS shouldn't be blamed for everything. I think the blame for where TML is now is more on them ( QC, longevity of parts, inconsistency in parts quality, fit and finish etc ) rather than TASS.

If the car is not well put together from the factory, what can the TASS fellow do ?

I agree that most TASS dont have fancy customer waiting areas and sweet talking service advisors. But they are quite honest from what I have seen of Hyundai and Honda ASS ( I have owned both brands ).

Many times the SAs might be a bit dis-organised but they usually dont try to cheat you into getting any extra stuff done while doing the service.

This is my experience from the Chennai TASS. This could also be due to the fact that the TASS in Chennai are all owned by some reputed business houses who might have their own policies to enforce strict discipline.
narayan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th August 2014, 13:13   #3273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
Well said!
People who talk [negatively] a lot about TATA A.S.S are either "never owned a TATA vehicle" person OR "dont want to own a TATA vehicle" person either for "Brand image" OR "being afraid how my friend/colleague/boss would judge me" reasons.
I pity them, seriously.

Prem.
I agree with this. In my immediate family we have 2 Indica v2, one Manza, one Indigo CS, one Safari and one Vista; None sold till now. You can say we love Tata cars and for sure we wouldn't have put so much money in Tata cars, if they are so bad. I guess lot of bad name comes to Tata because of folks who want to chime in because everyone says so. Its not that other vehicles don't break down or their after sales service is always topnotch, just that its not reported so much as Tata. Tata surely need to work on their quality assurance, but their service folks do go the extra mile to help you out.
ambujlal is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th August 2014, 14:35   #3274
Senior - BHPian

Even I am driving my 2010 Tata Safari Dicor Lx to the length and breadth of India comfortably. In last 4 years, I never had any issue with the car and happily doing many long drives. Beyond that what one should expect? Even there were some issue reported, TASS always tried to solve that amicably upto my satisfaction.

Even I second that, TASS never bothers billing for small things. Recently I took my car to KHT,Whitefield, Bangalore - TASS and they corrected the alignment by adjusting shims and it took lots of time. They charged me only for normal alignment charges (For camber adjusment they have separate labour charges). With this I also did following work

1. Replaced rear brake light bulb - Free
2. Replaced front brake pads - Free (Only brake pads cost was charged)
3. Adjusted the turning radius - Free

I insisted them to change rear brake pads as well. But they checked and said not required to change it will go another 20K. If they had to make money they could have happily changed the rear brake pads as well.

With this kind of service experience for past 4 years, I am more than happy with my TASS. Also, in any of the regular service they never tried to fleece me any money by tendering unwanted services, which is very common in Maruti Service. I had owned Maruti in past and three times had bad experience.

Last edited by anujmishra : 27th August 2014 at 14:37.
anujmishra is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th August 2014, 14:44   #3275
Senior - BHPian

Ok Guys - Now getting back to the Storme discussion - there is a talk of a new facelift in October. Has anyone got any updates on what the new facia might look like ?
Old 27th August 2014, 15:22   #3276
Team-BHP Support

If any of you are passing by this area, food & lodging would be free from side, please try to get your car serviced/inspected at the Tata ASC over here & neighboring towns.

Yes, it is a small sample size, but everyone is talking about an experience of their own & so am I.

BTW, please continue with Storme's discussion, but if any of you are open for this adventure, I would be just so glad to host you.

Last edited by Sheel : 27th August 2014 at 15:33.
Sheel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th August 2014, 15:10   #3277

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteemedpunter View Post
Brought an astern black EX a couple of weeks back(June 2014 manufactured). Facing some weird noise (difficult to articulate :-) ), when the rev counter is in 1500-1800 range, which smoothens out after that. This happens especially in the 3rd and 4th gear. Because I am still in the run-in period so not taking it higher than 2000 revs. Never faced these kind of noises in my diesel Punto though. Am I being paranoid or should I take it across to the service center and get it checked?
P.S. :- Right now I am located in NCR.
As I mentioned earlier in my post, even I've a June'14 A.Black LX and had a serious 'grinding' noise coming from the gearbox right from day 1, especially in 3rd and 4th gear. It was a case of faulty CRB ( Clutch Release Bearing ) which was replaced under warranty and now it's become smooth. I guess the June lot may have got fitted with the faulty parts Anyway, since you haven't mentioned about where the noise is coming from in your vehicle, I'm not sure if it'll be the same case like mine. However, do take it to the workshop and let them do an extensive TD. And do post your experience after that.
Old 29th August 2014, 15:31   #3278

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajasitlhou View Post
As I mentioned earlier in my post, even I've a June'14 A.Black LX and had a serious 'grinding' noise coming from the gearbox right from day 1, especially in 3rd and 4th gear. It was a case of faulty CRB ( Clutch Release Bearing ) which was replaced under warranty and now it's become smooth. I guess the June lot may have got fitted with the faulty parts Anyway, since you haven't mentioned about where the noise is coming from in your vehicle, I'm not sure if it'll be the same case like mine. However, do take it to the workshop and let them do an extensive TD. And do post your experience after that.
There is no grinding noise. More of an engine noise. I did read your post earlier and had spoken to the SA if the noise is coming because of a faulty CRB but he assured me that CRB is fine. The noise is coming because of an unbalanced mount causing vibrations in the 1500-1800 rev range.
Old 29th August 2014, 16:04   #3279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteemedpunter View Post
There is no grinding noise. More of an engine noise. I did read your post earlier and had spoken to the SA if the noise is coming because of a faulty CRB but he assured me that CRB is fine. The noise is coming because of an unbalanced mount causing vibrations in the 1500-1800 rev range.
So what happened did you got this corrected ? if yes how? Please do let us know.

Last edited by sunit5 : 29th August 2014 at 16:14.
Old 29th August 2014, 16:13   #3280

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunit5 View Post
So what happened did you got this corrected ? if yes how? Please do lest us know.
Not yet. Will be visiting TASS tomorrow!
Old 31st August 2014, 10:41   #3281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunit5 View Post
So what happened did you got this corrected ? if yes how? Please do let us know.

And what was the outcome of your Tass visit yesterday?
Old 31st August 2014, 13:24   #3282

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormerider View Post
And what was the outcome of your Tass visit yesterday?
Took it to Oberoi and there were two more test drives and the following observation :-
1) Initial Observation : Unbalanced mount leading to noise.
2) A slight leak in the intercooler pipe leading to the noise.
3) The head of the mechanics,has around 20 years of TATA experience, after taking an extended test drive said there is no issue. The noise is the turbo spooling around the mentioned rev range. No issues with the clutch or any other part.
So they sent me back!

Planning to check with another TASS as well. Maybe Delta in Gurgaon.

Fortunately got a chance to meet up Biraj/Lapiz_lazuli & Roy_libran and they advised to get the hoses checked for air leakage which might be causing the noise.
Old 31st August 2014, 19:58   #3283
BHPian

Hi,

I'm getting a used Tata Safari Storme VX 4x2 (Sept 12) with 23k kms on the odometer for 9.15 lacs, I test drove the car and observed the following:

1. Steering wheel vibration at 110 kmph
2. Airbag light was continuously on
3. The leather on the gear knob had withered away and the black plastic was completely exposed
4. The leather on the steering looked worn but was still in one piece
5. The plastic casing/ housing covering the seat recline lever on the drive side was missing
6. Minor scratches on the body and a cracked rear bumper (driver side)

I'll be taking the car to a nearby TASS, to check for the the airbag light and steering vibration but is there anything else I should check / lookout for?

Suggestions / advice / input would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 31st August 2014, 20:39   #3284
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
Hi,

I'm getting a used Tata Safari Storme VX 4x2 (Sept 12) with 23k kms on the odometer for 9.15 lacs, I test drove the car and observed the following:

1. Steering wheel vibration at 110 kmph
2. Airbag light was continuously on
3. The leather on the gear knob had withered away and the black plastic was completely exposed
4. The leather on the steering looked worn but was still in one piece
5. The plastic casing/ housing covering the seat recline lever on the drive side was missing
6. Minor scratches on the body and a cracked rear bumper (driver side)

I'll be taking the car to a nearby TASS, to check for the the airbag light and steering vibration but is there anything else I should check /

Thanks in advance.
1) Alignment and Balancing
2) Connector issue can be resolved by ecu reset and diagnostic tool. The error iteration after which the light comes on may need to be increased or it maybe due to water getting to the connector.
3) Knob will not cost much to replace. Possibly less than Rs. 500.
4) steering like leather too can be redone for Rs. 3000 or less outside.
5) The plasic housing of seat adjuster comes off on new stoms. If not found in he car should cost less than Rs. 500 new.
6 New painted rear bumper should cost less than Rs. 10,000

Factor above costs. Recheck service history to the ensure speedometer has not been tampered with.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2014, 20:51   #3285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
1) Alignment and Balancing
2) Connector issue can be resolved by ecu reset and diagnostic tool. The error iteration after which the light comes on may need to be increased or it maybe due to water getting to the connector.
3) Knob will not cost much to replace. Possibly less than Rs. 500.
4) steering like leather too can be redone for Rs. 3000 or less outside.
5) The plasic housing of seat adjuster comes off on new stoms. If not found in he car should cost less than Rs. 500 new.
6 New painted rear bumper should cost less than Rs. 10,000

Factor above costs. Recheck service history to the ensure speedometer has not been tampered with.

Thanks a lot ACM,

Just two more questions is the price right? And can one purchase the extended warranty at this stage?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks