Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2014, 11:33   #3256
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ortho_surgeon View Post
@wildsdi5530 If I ever buy a Storme, it will be Lx.

Tata vehicles are depreciation disasters, so want to go for the cheapest variant. I think the front AC will be enough, as very rarely the rear seats will be occupied.

Xuv 500 w6 costs 2.3 lakhs above the Lx, but the Storme won my heart over long back, but my mind still hesistant to go for it.

Thanks a lot guys for sharing your inputs.

Ortho_surgeon - I went with the same thought process when i bought the Lx and its mentioned in my ownership thread as well. Lx is a good enough choice and trust me - you wont miss the roof a/c unless you regularly travel with people in the 3rd row as well AND you park your car under the sun. Otherwise, inspite being in Chennai, I havent missed the roof a/c

Now I see you have some old baggage reg Tata vehicles and I agree sometimes, the warranty expiry could mean an impending disaster. From reports available in the forum, the Storme seems to be largely trouble free but to be objective, one has to also consider this feedback in light of the low sales numbers. Storme + Safari sell around 800 units per month.

You may want to consider the W4 variant as well which is far cheaper and closer to the Lx. But if heart over-rules your head, there is no choice !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
Hey Guys,

Saw two Stormes yesterday separately on the road and felt something different. The stance of the car felt different and the ground clearence felt reduced. Both the cars looked very nice with this reduced Ground clearance and near perfect horizontal stance.

Has tata tweaked the suspension of the Storme?

Regards
Rachit

I think what you have seen is nothing un-usual. The Storme has a very good stance unlike the Dicor which I have seen largely with its nose pointing skywards the moment 3 well fed adults sit even in the middle row. Further, If you view the Storme from the rear three quarters, it has a nice kind of low slung ( for an SUV ) look. But, its also quite likely, you probably saw a fully loaded Storme and if its nose wasnt pointing skywards, its a good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormerider View Post
Around about 42000 on odo. We thought it has something to do with the choked filter we had to deal with a couple of days earlier. But looks like this has nothing to do with it.
The technician also told me that he has changed turbo on 1 more car. And I saw that turbo lying on the warranty room.
Since bhpian Sunit was also complaining, have asked him to show his storme also to the same guy.
This is a bit worrying. I am at around 20,000 kms. Lets see !
narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 12:15   #3257
BHPian

Quote:
You may want to consider the W4 variant as well which is far cheaper and closer to the Lx
W4 costs 13.55 on road Bangalore. No discounts on W4. W4 lacks the infotainment system. I am not a gadget freak. Google maps is all that I need. But the vacant slot on the center console looks bad.

W6 comes to 14.66, but 24k discount. I think I can squeeze another 30 k out from them.

Storme is available for 11.5 after discount. The facelift is due, but no discounts will be available on that, at least the immediate future.

With our past experiences with Tata, everyone at home is paranoid about me buying a Storme.

I was discussing with my local mechanic, and he suggested that I should instead buy a used Innova. According to him, Safari just looks good. According to him, even a one lakh kms driven Innova makes more sense. Innova should come for 6 lacs here in Kerala. This is just confusing me further.

What do you guys think?
Old 26th August 2014, 13:43   #3258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What do you guys think?
Related thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-m...others-19.html

An Innova at 6L would be at least 7-8 years old. Are you comfortable with that?

IMO, if you can afford it, go for the Storme, simply because you get a new car with warranty coverage. Also, a 2L and 3L difference with the W4 and W6 respectively is too large to ignore.

The LX is a well kitted variant. It doesn't have fog lamps, but aftermarket ones are easily available. The only feature you might miss is the rear wash & wipe. W.r.t the rear AC, please note that even though the LX does not have the roof mounted AC, it does have AC vents on the floor between the 2 front seats. So it's not as if the middle row passengers don't get any cool air at all.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 14:04   #3259
BHPian

Just read on NDTV -- Safari Facelift to arrive soon.

Seems to be minor tweaks here and there, hopefully for better.

http://auto.ndtv.com/news/tata-safar...from=home-auto

Tata Motors, the home-grown automajor, is planning to bring in the facelifted model of its flagship SUV - the Safari Storme - during the upcoming festive season. If reports are to be believed, the company has already started testing the updated model of the SUV in India. Launched in 2012, the Safari Storme has not been able to attract many buyers, so, this is the company's attempt to revive its lost ground in the mid-sized SUV segment.

The updated model will get a new front fascia, thanks to the new grille and revised bumper. Whereas, the rear and side profiles of the car are expected to remain unchanged. Moving on to the SUV's cabin, it might receive a few changes like better upholstery, revised dashboard, a new music system etc., though the biggest change will be in the form of third-row seating arrangement. Furthermore, the company might replace the existing front-side facing third row seat with the captain seats.

Since it will be a mid-life makeover of the car, there will be no mechanical changes. However, the company might tune the engine for more power. The updated Aria, which has the same engine as the Storme- 2.2-litre VariCor diesel, also received the tuned version of the powertrain. So, from the existing 140bhp, the new Safari Storme might deliver 150bhp along with 320Nm of peak torque.
advaitlele is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 14:35   #3260
BHPian

Does any one face an issue where you feel a vibration (rather wobble feeling) from underneath while decelerating? I checked the wheel alignment, but still this wobble exists and transfers itself to the whole body and all the passengers can feel it. Could this be an issue with drive shaft alignment?

I do have another issue where the vehicle initially hesitates to move in first and second gear. There is a continuous jerk (3 or 4 times) while releasing the clutch just before the initial movement.

Last edited by sandeep_vgl : 26th August 2014 at 14:50.
Old 26th August 2014, 16:07   #3261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by advaitlele View Post
The updated model will get a new front fascia, thanks to the new grille and revised bumper. Whereas, the rear and side profiles of the car are expected to remain unchanged. Moving on to the SUV's cabin, it might receive a few changes like better upholstery, revised dashboard, a new music system etc., though the biggest change will be in the form of third-row seating arrangement. Furthermore, the company might replace the existing front-side facing third row seat with the captain seats.
The major game changer will be third row seating. If changed to front face then I feel it will attract more customers as after this change Storme will be proper 7 seater SUV.

In terms of reliability, Storme has already proved itself as no major technical issue/niggles have been reported by its customers (in this thread atleast)

Another option TML must offer is 4X4 option in LX and EX variants.

Last but not the least, must focus on improving after sales service. After spending 12-15 LAC one expects good customer service.

-
SS
Old 26th August 2014, 18:17   #3262
BHPian

Quote:
Another option TML must offer is 4X4 option in LX and EX variants.
4wd will be again available only on VX variant.

There was a short period when the 3.0L Dicor was launched when 4wd was offered on EX variant.

Other than the Lx scorpio, 4wd is only available on the top end model. The Lx Scorpio is also bare bones model, without even ABS.

The fact is Tata has missed the bus. They should have upgraded the Safari long back. Even when the upgrade came, they priced it against the Xuv.

Quote:
Last but not the least, must focus on improving after sales service. After spending 12-15 LAC one expects good customer service.
I been to Concorde motors Bangalore, and the sales staff never showed any interest. I have heard that customer care has improved. But more than anything accountability for work done and quality of parts has to improve. Turbo failure, gear lever problem, rattling issues have to be sorted. Most of the Indian manufacturers take the new customers as their Study group. See what happened when Xuv was initially launched. But Mahindra has sorted out most of its issues.

I will wait for the S cross before making a call.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 27th August 2014 at 16:01. Reason: fixed quote-tags. :)
Old 26th August 2014, 18:57   #3263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storme_on_d_way View Post
Have not heard of any suspension tweak. Could it be the load? I know people sitting would have heen visible but sometimes we load our vehicles with stuff which look smaller but weigh like hell. My dzire boot almost weighs down and touches the road every time i carry even one injection mould in it.
Probably, its just that seeing 2 in one day and noticing this one thing in both somehow made me ask the question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Ortho_surgeon - I went with the same thought process when i bought the Lx and its mentioned in my ownership thread as well. Lx is a good enough choice and trust me - you wont miss the roof a/c unless you regularly travel with people in the 3rd row as well AND you park your car under the sun. Otherwise, inspite being in Chennai, I havent missed the roof a/c

Now I see you have some old baggage reg Tata vehicles and I agree sometimes, the warranty expiry could mean an impending disaster. From reports available in the forum, the Storme seems to be largely trouble free but to be objective, one has to also consider this feedback in light of the low sales numbers. Storme + Safari sell around 800 units per month.

You may want to consider the W4 variant as well which is far cheaper and closer to the Lx. But if heart over-rules your head, there is no choice !

I think what you have seen is nothing un-usual. The Storme has a very good stance unlike the Dicor which I have seen largely with its nose pointing skywards the moment 3 well fed adults sit even in the middle row. Further, If you view the Storme from the rear three quarters, it has a nice kind of low slung ( for an SUV ) look. But, its also quite likely, you probably saw a fully loaded Storme and if its nose wasnt pointing skywards, its a good thing.

This is a bit worrying. I am at around 20,000 kms. Lets see !
Yeah, probably you are right.

Thanks.
Old 26th August 2014, 19:33   #3264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

There was a short period when the 3.0L Dicor was launched when 4wd was offered on EX variant.
When the 3.0L Dicor was launched, the 4X4 version was available across all trims, LX included. It was withdrawn fairly soon.
Old 26th August 2014, 19:54   #3265
BHPian

Quote:
When the 3.0L Dicor was launched, the 4X4 version was available across all trims, LX included
I hope someone at TML is reading this thread.

For TML to recover some lost ground, I feel they should launch the facelifted Storme with 4wd option available across all variants. I am sure quite a few BHPians here will defi buy it.

The Storme 4wd is way better than the rest, only drawback is the high price.

I hope someone at TML is listening.
Old 26th August 2014, 21:31   #3266
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I will wait for the S cross before making a call.
If you like the driving characteristic of the Storme, I don't think you would be satisfied with an XUV (yes, it is faster, stable, is more FE & has tons of features) leave alone the S-Cross. I am not promoting the Storme, but it appears you haven't TD the XUV & the Storme.

I personally feel the ladder on frames more comfortable & stress free to drive aided by the perch, dedicated arm-rest & greenhouse.

I would have gone for the Storme, if not for the worst ASC nominated in India was at my place.

I have been following Storme's thread on a regular basis and I think, the vehicle is a huge improvement over its past avatar as the Safari Dicor. I believe there have been no mechanical failures reported, but, the ASC remains the same and there have been stories about it.

Please do take a test-drive. From what I have read, the S-Cross comes as a competent car as well. You might wait.
Old 26th August 2014, 21:42   #3267
BHPian

Quote:
If you like the driving characteristic of the Storme, I don't think you would be satisfied with an XUV (yes, it is faster, stable, is more FE & has tons of features) leave alone the S-Cross. I am not promoting the Storme, but it appears you haven't TD the XUV & the Storme.
I have driven both.

I agree with what you say. But ASC matters to me as well, so I am waiting for S Cross. The pricing of the S cross is going to be interesting. I just hope its in my reach with AWD on all variants.
Old 27th August 2014, 08:56   #3268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have driven both.

I agree with what you say. But ASC matters to me as well, so I am waiting for S Cross. The pricing of the S cross is going to be interesting. I just hope its in my reach with AWD on all variants.
To be really honest I don't see what is so bad about TASC ?
I somehow feel people have skyhigh expectations from TASC. May be on my limited experience woth other brands I have owned I really do not know what's really bad. I have owned a Maruti in past and now a Honda Amaze petrol as second car. However I can not pinpoint anything which maruti or honda ASS do better except charging more.
Concord Motors never even bother to bill small services such as idler nut adjustment, door setting or once a metal bracket for holding wiring in engine bay was cut. Mechanic simply opened did continues weld and fitted back after filing with zero bill.
The paid service charges for safari are 1500 Rs and it has far more points to grease such as centre pin , propeller shaft ,lower amd upper arm joints which don't exist of FWD cars of honda and maruti without double wishbone suspension.

Most people actually have brand image problem and not problems with A.S.S per say.
amitk26 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th August 2014, 09:40   #3269
BHPian

Quote:
Most people actually have brand image problem and not problems with A.S.S per say.

amitk26 is online now Report Post Thanks
Tata has churned out plenty of lemons in the past, definitely their brand image has taken a beating.

We had an Indigo Manza in our family in the past, which had wheel alignment issues and significant pulling from day one. We were lucky to sell it off at the end of 2 years. The time that car spent at the workshop was much more than it spent on the road. We barely used for 14000kms. Please check various forums, you will find many such instances.

The stigma of the past is still there in many ex- Tata customers.

Coming to Maruti, I agree that the cost of ownership and service has increased. But at the end of the day, the quality of the products is maintained. Also the service centers are accountable for the work done, and work is done to the customer satisfaction, most of the times.
I have been driving a swift for 80,000kms and a Ritz now for 60,000kms. I have serviced these vehicles in various parts of Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Bangalore and even Bombay. So there is conviction behind what I am saying.

Tata Storme is a good product, but at the end of the day, it is a TATA.

Last edited by ortho_surgeon : 27th August 2014 at 09:50.
Old 27th August 2014, 10:11   #3270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
To be really honest I don't see what is so bad about TASC ?
Well said!
People who talk [negatively] a lot about TATA A.S.S are either "never owned a TATA vehicle" person OR "dont want to own a TATA vehicle" person either for "Brand image" OR "being afraid how my friend/colleague/boss would judge me" reasons.
I pity them, seriously.

Prem.
kaviprem is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks