Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2014, 20:18   #3106
BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Yeah thanks, please do. But if the image quality (and fastening extensions) are not good, I would rather pay 500 bucks (if the option is there) than buy the cheaper 65 buck alternative. But if not, then majboori ka naam ......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storme_on_d_way View Post
Buddy, i was talking about a brand KRISHNA which i confirmed with the manufacturer itself about it being convex. He usually sells it for 60 bucks, would have given a few to me for free since he is our dealer too. Incase you have got it in your location, thats good. Yes locking mechanism might have issues when it comes to using it with the OEM assembly but then a few drops of quickfix will be absolutely fine. And are you sure they are all using plastic films instead of glass? I manufacture ORVMs by the name of KOITO. Have never heard anyone using that so far. Although my knowledge regarding sub mirrors is limited too.
ebonho, I went to the shop today. I asked them about the sub mirrors. They said that FOX make will be available for all cars. Royal/Motto, he said he will check for the Dicor/Storme. He was not sure if FOX mirrors will be convex. I am again going to the shop tomorrow because today he could not get the convex mirror for our Indigo.

Storme on the way, its great if KRISHNA brand makes convex sub mirrors. I did not see them at the shop I go to. And yes, I am sure many of the after market sub mirrors are film based. I have seen mine which was broken by someone, not once, but twice. It definitely was film both the times. This was last year and I do not remember which brand it was, but it was not OEM. This may not be true for all brands. And even my knowledge about such stuff if limited, so please do correct me if I am wrong.
Old 26th July 2014, 00:08   #3107
BHPian

Need some input: I feel the vehicle is running a little rough (engine) after the 15K service. Should I take it and get the diagnostics run? Maybe a reset? Will they do it? Will it help? Anyone done this nefore? Its at 16850km now.

Regarding ORVMs, both my ORVMs have a small sticker saying 'MANUAL' stuck on the glass, though they are electric operated in my car. What does that mean/ QC issues at plant? Or they simply have the same glass in both electric and manual ones?
Old 26th July 2014, 01:57   #3108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aalokg View Post
ebonho, I went to the shop today. I asked them about the sub mirrors. They said that FOX make will be available for all cars. Royal/Motto, he said he will check for the Dicor/Storme. He was not sure if FOX mirrors will be convex. I am again going to the shop tomorrow because today he could not get the convex mirror for our Indigo.

Storme on the way, its great if KRISHNA brand makes convex sub mirrors. I did not see them at the shop I go to. And yes, I am sure many of the after market sub mirrors are film based. I have seen mine which was broken by someone, not once, but twice. It definitely was film both the times. This was last year and I do not remember which brand it was, but it was not OEM. This may not be true for all brands. And even my knowledge about such stuff if limited, so please do correct me if I am wrong.
Thanks for enlightening me about the film part. Its probably because of the cut throat competition that they have started using film instead of glass but i strongly doubt they can make it convex too because i have been using convex mirrors in my production of ORVMs and we are importing the convex sheets, there is a fixed angle of convex which wont be possible in a film. So they might be only making the flat ones.
IMO The term MANUAL on your ORVM might imply that they are manually foldable unlike the electrically retractable ones in VX . Nobody as per my knowledge is making it for storme so far. For dicor, there is a convex one available in the after market.

Last edited by Storme_on_d_way : 26th July 2014 at 02:13.
Storme_on_d_way is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2014, 02:20   #3109
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for enlightening me about the film part. Its probably because of the cut throat competition that they have started using film instead of glass but i strongly doubt they can make it convex too because i have been using convex mirrors in my production of ORVMs and we are importing the convex sheets, there is a fixed angle of convex which wont be possible in a film. So they might be only making the flat ones.
IMO The term MANUAL on your ORVM might imply that they are manually foldable unlike the electrically retractable ones in VX . Nobody as per my knowledge is making it for storme so far. For dicor, there is a convex one available in the after market.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Koito mirrors for 2008 2.2 VTT dicor , 2009 facelift of dicor and Storme will be great news. Specially people can order and buy them online :-D
Will definitely keep that in mind. There has to be some good sale of the vehicle which makes the ORVM manufacturing profitable enough to recover the costing in about a year or two. I believe we do have it for safari dicor. And mods, i am in no way promoting any product/brand here. Can delete any post if found unsuitable.
Old 26th July 2014, 02:30   #3110
BHPian

Quote:
Will definitely keep that in mind. There has to be some good sale of the vehicle which makes the ORVM manufacturing profitable enough to recover the costing in about a year or two. I believe we do have it for safari dicor. And mods, i am in no way promoting any product/brand here. Can delete any post if found unsuitable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Please help us understand this. Is this a quality control thing? Assuming its the same product, just different branding (OE vs aftermarket)? Or are the specs minutely different for OE vs aftermarket - possibly by design to protect OE spares sales (and margins) by and for the manufacturer?

We have the same issue in rear gas shocks made by Endurance for Bullets. Those made by Endurance and sod by Royal Enfield under their official packaging and slightly different to the ones we buy directly from after market spares shops with Endurance packaging. And the difference in rice is big. Yet most prefer to buy the RE packed ones for the same reason - hence my suspicion of the above. Its done purposely by the vendor on behalf of the manufacturer.
Bro, you can pm or email me and let me know your contact details. I will confirm if the aforesaid brand is convex and if it is, i will make it available to you in your city pune by courier may be
Secondly, i guess yes, they might face trouble with the OEs for giving the same product in the aftermarket segment, it has also got to do with manufacturing the aftermarket product on lowest possible cost because of the tremendous competition involved there. Since OE commands its desired price without hassle. So whatever they can change and save a bit, they do it.
Storme_on_d_way is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2014, 02:40   #3111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasi405 View Post
Need some input: I feel the vehicle is running a little rough (engine) after the 15K service. Should I take it and get the diagnostics run? Maybe a reset? Will they do it? Will it help? Anyone done this nefore? Its at 16850km now.

Regarding ORVMs, both my ORVMs have a small sticker saying 'MANUAL' stuck on the glass, though they are electric operated in my car. What does that mean/ QC issues at plant? Or they simply have the same glass in both electric and manual ones?
I believe the engine should infact open up after your second servicing making the ride smoother and a settled down suspension as well. Please get it checked if you constantly feel a difference.
IMO The term MANUAL on your ORVM might imply that they are manually foldable unlike the electrically retractable ones in VX .
Old 26th July 2014, 06:32   #3112
Distinguished - BHPian

Sasi, had a similar feeling soon after the 15k service, but it settled down soon. Dont know why that should happen ..
Old 26th July 2014, 12:10   #3113
Senior - BHPian

Two quick questions guys, would appreciate some help please.

1) What is the best place to cencentrate the nozzle of water of each of the two streams of water per wiper within each's arc? Is there some "best" pattern accepted by Team BHP experts that I do not know of? Its a huge glass with wipers having huge arcs and if its dry, the water does not wet one or the other area satisfactorily.

2) My Storme's music system display does not show the name of the track that is playing or the album. It just shows some number like T10 etc. How do I get my display to show the album and the track? I am using a pen drive where the songs are put into individual albums with individual tracks within.

Last edited by ebonho : 26th July 2014 at 12:12.
Old 26th July 2014, 12:27   #3114
Distinguished - BHPian

1) Try to point the jet at a spot
vertical plane: in the middle of the windshield
horiontal plane : towards the left side.

This should be such that after the water lands on the windshield, it should spread along the length of the blade while the blade sweeps

2) Try to toggle the View button (bottom right button on the panel)
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2014, 17:43   #3115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
1) Try to point the jet at a spot
vertical plane: in the middle of the windshield
horiontal plane : towards the left side.

This should be such that after the water lands on the windshield, it should spread along the length of the blade while the blade sweeps
Thanks. I directed the first nozzle lower and the second nozzle higher on the glass, both separated in the horizontal plane by 6-8 inches.

Quote:
2) Try to toggle the View button (bottom right button on the panel)
Thanks again! Yes that's the button - it has essentially 5 toggle settings. The first two are the number formats. Then there is one with a CD icon (which gives the name of the album), then an icon with a big T (track - the number that's playing), and finally one with a mike icon (don't know what that is. However, the name of the album or track scrolls horizontally just once, and then settle into stationary mode (where you can see only the part of the whole that fits in the screen breadth). Is there a way to keep it scrolling - first album, then name of track? That would be neat!

Thanks once again bro - this is a big improvement for me as it is, but yeh dil maange more!
Old 26th July 2014, 18:02   #3116
BHPian

Hello to all the Storme owners, I'm planning to buy a Safari Storme within the next few weeks, but am a bit apprehensive about the niggling problems which comes with the Tata badge. I am really confused between the Scorpio and the Safari.
Old 26th July 2014, 18:04   #3117
BHPian

Hello

This is my first post in the Tata Safari Storme official thread. I own an Ertiga and had never driven the Strome until recently when I found myself driving it up the Himalayas and crossed the mighty and majestic Khardung La in a Storme.

The story goes that we had planned to do Ladakh this year. The battle in the mind was whether to drive the Ertiga all the way from Bangalore or drive my brother's Strome which is in Gurgaon. Elder brother's decision prevailed and we drove in a Strome. Driving from Gurgaon saved us several days also.

The experience of driving a Strome - in one word - "awesome". For all of you who own this wonderful piece of machinery - be proud, be very proud. My brother had a Tata Safari for 5 years earlier, sold it, evaluated a number of other SUVs and purchased a Strome. This was had already covered 30K in about 11 months and was in top condition.

He had readied it for the trip and guess what - it totally impressed. The acceleration, the brakes, the stability at high speeds, the power, the cabin comfort, the air conditioning, the ground clearance, the handling and the presence - all top notch. Not once did it skip a beat, steep inclines were taken in its stride and kutcha roads or roads with small rocks and large stones - all dispatched with aplomb. We had stopped at Khardung La twice (spent a night in Nubra valley) and stopped at the mighty pass both the times. At 18360 feet (yeah I know the GPS shows a little less but you know the point I am making) the Storme started with one crank. And it was snowing and there was a strong wind.

So, for all who have the Strome - feel proud. Its a great SUV and pretty complete in most respects. Happy to share any specific vehicle behaviour anyone wants to know.

Cheers

Rajain

Last edited by Rajain : 26th July 2014 at 18:06. Reason: spel correction
Rajain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2014, 23:21   #3118
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aak91 View Post
Hello to all the Storme owners, I'm planning to buy a Safari Storme within the next few weeks, but am a bit apprehensive about the niggling problems which comes with the Tata badge.
@AAK91, looks like you have not followed this thread & the other ownership threads. Read them all to get a better understanding & answers to your questions. But regarding Scorpio vs Safari - that is something for you to decide.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 27th July 2014 at 07:38. Reason: Source post deleted.
Old 26th July 2014, 23:46   #3119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@AAK91, looks like you have not followed this thread & the other ownership threads. Read them all to get a better understanding & answers to your questions. But regarding Scorpio vs Safari - that is something for you to decide.
I have just read the entire 208 pages of the thread, and let me say it was an eye opener.
The case is strongly tilting towards the STORME!
Old 27th July 2014, 00:57   #3120
BHPian

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Well experienced the infamous attention to detail for which Tata have earned the reputation that they have. The power window control switch that locks other windows but the driver one is to my surprise programmed the other way round. When I press it and it has this red light glowing on it should ideally mean that all other windows are locked for operation but the driver one.however in my car it means all windows are liable to be operated.

Is it the same in other stormed on the forum or Am I reading this wrong?

Though it's a non issue but still hehe.

Took a full house For a spin on Delhi roads at midnight. 5 adults and 4 kids. Everyone was so impressed with the space and comfort of the storme. Kids said it has even more space that what it appears to have when u see it from the outside.

Also a couple of neighbours saw my storme for the first time today , both of them gave a thumbs up for the looks, space, comfort, pearl white colour and when I said that I would have liked the dash to be a bit more busy, they said no the simple well put together dash adds elegance to the storme. Happy very happy lol.

Last edited by garyag79 : 27th July 2014 at 01:01.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks