Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2014, 17:53   #3091
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesrani View Post
Another issue, for me was the driving position. I am 6'2" and my left foot was touching on the left side console. With the seat fully back and down and steering all the way up, I was just about avoiding touching the steering wheel. Was not uncomfortable but the knees are upwards when the foot is rested on floor. Not sure how it would feel on a long journey.
I'm shorter at 6' and by trial and error I find the highest seat height best - I like the feeling I get looking out of the windshield and the world below. The steering of course is set to the highest position as well. And the seat is pushed 2 notches away from way back. I used to drive with it all the way back (easiest ingress without foot twisting) but I did not get the right "feel." This way I can still get in without my left foot getting stuck under the pedal, and I feel more at one with the steering.
Old 22nd July 2014, 20:28   #3092
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Sure buddy, that would be super if you could - for both Dicor as well as us Storme owners! Thanks a ton. Especially as in most cases the Warranty does not cover replacement. Do these Fox ones come with the heated elements at the back (for the Storme glasses)?

Found out about a brand by the name of 'krishna' who gets their stuff manufactured by FOX itself . They have it for safari 2.2 , will cost me 60-70 bucks for one sub-mirror(convex mirror) without heating coils. I asked him about any in the range of 500 bucks(which your friend bought) , I was told that the same products sell for 400-500 bucks in car decor shops. For storme, none of the replacement market manufctures has made it yet but will be available soon. Will update you if I hear something.

Last edited by Storme_on_d_way : 22nd July 2014 at 20:35.
Storme_on_d_way is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2014, 22:33   #3093
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storme_on_d_way View Post
Found out about a brand by the name of 'krishna' who gets their stuff manufactured by FOX itself . They have it for safari 2.2 , will cost me 60-70 bucks for one sub-mirror(convex mirror) without heating coils. I asked him about any in the range of 500 bucks(which your friend bought) , I was told that the same products sell for 400-500 bucks in car decor shops. For storme, none of the replacement market manufctures has made it yet but will be available soon. Will update you if I hear something.
Dear, could you help me a source a pair for my dicor? I've been looking for the same since last one year. Tass was offering only the full assembly as usual. Please share the contact details.
Old 23rd July 2014, 04:40   #3094
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BipB View Post
Dear, could you help me a source a pair for my dicor? I've been looking for the same since last one year. Tass was offering only the full assembly as usual. Please share the contact details.
Give me a few days time. Will try to find out if there is another brand/better quality available. Do let me know your city and state so that i can also try to provide you with a local stockist.
Old 23rd July 2014, 10:43   #3095
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For storme, none of the replacement market manufctures has made it yet but will be available soon. Will update you if I hear something.
Thanks buddy, that would be great. Meanwhile, if you could help with the contact details in Pune for the Dicor glasses (for a close friend) that would be fantastic as well. Thanks for you help. Great to have such a community!
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2014, 15:58   #3096
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesrani View Post
Thanks. Will definitely take TD. One more question. Do you think my Wife will be able to handle it? Currently she also drives the SX4 on the highway, can she drive the Storme? And how ingress/egress for senior citizens?

I am also reading the reviews of the Mobilo, again a different segment. But seems quite good.
My wife too had an Sx4 earlier and currently drives a Duster. She is equally at ease with Storme also. The maneuverability of this vehicle is amazing. Turning radius is much lesser and the control is amazing. Even though she is deeply in love with her Duster, she likes to drive the Storme on and off as the high seating does give you a nice feeling overall. Never has she complained that she found it difficult to drive in the city. Just one thing,in bumper to bumper traffice the clutch of duster is far easy to handle.
Old 23rd July 2014, 16:06   #3097
BHPian

Quote:
Give me a few days time. Will try to find out if there is another brand/better quality available. Do let me know your city and state so that i can also try to provide you with a local stockist.
I am in Kerala. Any city- Kannur, Calicut or Cochin will do for me. Thanks once again.
Old 24th July 2014, 10:13   #3098
BHPian

3000 km on the Odo.

No issues, squeaks or rattles, have also done some spirited driving touched 120 kmph in small stretches. Excellent stability and braking, for sure on the highway it will gobble up miles with tremendous ease. I am getting 11-12 kmpl in city driving with AC on.

Havent washed the beast for a week, it is looking drool maal with all the dirt on it. My 5 year old son this morning commented "Papa did the Storme just got into a Storme, it is sooo dirty".
Old 24th July 2014, 11:04   #3099
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyag79 View Post
3000 km on the Odo.

No issues, squeaks or rattles, have also done some spirited driving touched 120 kmph in small stretches. Excellent stability and braking, for sure on the highway it will gobble up miles with tremendous ease. I am getting 11-12 kmpl in city driving with AC on.

Havent washed the beast for a week, it is looking drool maal with all the dirt on it. My 5 year old son this morning commented "Papa did the Storme just got into a Storme, it is sooo dirty".
Gaurav....you sure are raking up the miles. My storme turns one month old today and i have 1300 km on the odo. Have a couple of highway trips lines up in the next couple of weeks so should clock some good mileage then.

Enjoy!!
Old 24th July 2014, 12:20   #3100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Gaurav....you sure are raking up the miles. My storme turns one month old today and i have 1300 km on the odo. Have a couple of highway trips lines up in the next couple of weeks so should clock some good mileage then.

Enjoy!!
Himanshu, raking up the miles as I have been in India too long for comfort ;-). Have long trips lined up in the coming months, that will see Storme resting for a couple of weeks every month in the parking.

Did you clutch release thak sound got rectified or was it a non-issue as I was told?

Last edited by garyag79 : 24th July 2014 at 12:22.
Old 24th July 2014, 12:42   #3101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BipB View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Thanks buddy, that would be great. Meanwhile, if you could help with the contact details in Pune for the Dicor glasses (for a close friend) that would be fantastic as well. Thanks for you help. Great to have such a community!
As per my experience, the mirrors by 'FOX' are usually not convex. They are flat. I buy spares and such stuff from Baba Auto, opposite Wockhardt, Mulund (GMLR). We have an Indigo (2003), and the RHS O-RVM glass either keeps falling off, or gets stolen. There is another brand, 'Motto' and I have found their mirrors to be convex, exactly like the OEM part from TATA. They cost Rs65, all of them, FOX/Motto/Royal. The plastic snap lock mechanism of these third party lenses (which is a reflective plastic film, not glass) is not that great. I am going to put a bit of glue next time on the locks. OEM TATA sub-mirror costs Rs495.

I am going to visit the shop sometime this week, or the next. I have ordered a 'Motto' mirror for our Indigo. If you wish, I can ask if the convex 'Motto' mirrors are available for the Dicor/Storme.

Aalok
aalokg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2014, 15:10   #3102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aalokg View Post
I am going to visit the shop sometime this week, or the next. I have ordered a 'Motto' mirror for our Indigo. If you wish, I can ask if the convex 'Motto' mirrors are available for the Dicor/Storme.

Aalok
Yeah thanks, please do. But if the image quality (and fastening extensions) are not good, I would rather pay 500 bucks (if the option is there) than buy the cheaper 65 buck alternative. But if not, then majboori ka naam ......

Last edited by ebonho : 24th July 2014 at 15:11.
Old 25th July 2014, 02:10   #3103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aalokg View Post
As per my experience, the mirrors by 'FOX' are usually not convex. They are flat. I buy spares and such stuff from Baba Auto, opposite Wockhardt, Mulund (GMLR). We have an Indigo (2003), and the RHS O-RVM glass either keeps falling off, or gets stolen. There is another brand, 'Motto' and I have found their mirrors to be convex, exactly like the OEM part from TATA. They cost Rs65, all of them, FOX/Motto/Royal. The plastic snap lock mechanism of these third party lenses (which is a reflective plastic film, not glass) is not that great. I am going to put a bit of glue next time on the locks. OEM TATA sub-mirror costs Rs495.

Aalok
Buddy, i was talking about a brand KRISHNA which i confirmed with the manufacturer itself about it being convex. He usually sells it for 60 bucks, would have given a few to me for free since he is our dealer too. Incase you have got it in your location, thats good. Yes locking mechanism might have issues when it comes to using it with the OEM assembly but then a few drops of quickfix will be absolutely fine. And are you sure they are all using plastic films instead of glass? I manufacture ORVMs by the name of KOITO. Have never heard anyone using that so far. Although my knowledge regarding sub mirrors is limited too.

Last edited by Storme_on_d_way : 25th July 2014 at 02:14.
Old 25th July 2014, 13:01   #3104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I manufacture ORVMs by the name of KOITO.
Koito mirrors for 2008 2.2 VTT dicor , 2009 facelift of dicor and Storme will be great news. Specially people can order and buy them online :-D
Old 25th July 2014, 14:23   #3105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes locking mechanism might have issues when it comes to using it with the OEM assembly but then a few drops of quickfix will be absolutely fine.
Please help us understand this. Is this a quality control thing? Assuming its the same product, just different branding (OE vs aftermarket)? Or are the specs minutely different for OE vs aftermarket - possibly by design to protect OE spares sales (and margins) by and for the manufacturer?

We have the same issue in rear gas shocks made by Endurance for Bullets. Those made by Endurance and sod by Royal Enfield under their official packaging and slightly different to the ones we buy directly from after market spares shops with Endurance packaging. And the difference in rice is big. Yet most prefer to buy the RE packed ones for the same reason - hence my suspicion of the above. Its done purposely by the vendor on behalf of the manufacturer.

Last edited by ebonho : 25th July 2014 at 14:24.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks