Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2014, 23:35   #2431

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

I have just sold my Tata Safari 2.2 EX after using it for around 5.5 years and am looking to buy a Safari Storme (LX most likely). I had some questions i wanted opinions/answers to, before getting in to the purchase

1) A dealer has Nov 2013 stock and are offering about 30k more discount over the 2014 version. The 2013 model also comes with a stock stereo system while 14 does not. Does it make sense for going with the 2013 version. Is there any refinement/change in the 2014 model compared to what was available in Nov 2013
2) I had 255 tyres in my 2.2 Dicor and i have a perception that they gave me better braking and negotiation of traffic on highway speeds. Will it make sense to have fatter tyres in Storme?
3) I like the look and feel of VX dash. Are there any kits that can spruce up the dashboard of LX.

Regards
Mandeep
Old 20th March 2014, 23:58   #2432
BHPian

Ebonho (funny I still can't figure out how to quote in this new app), I am only doing guess work. I will have to investigate further. Usually, the entire shock absorber and spring assembly tends to turn with the wheels. Also, there is a rubber mounting on top (as well as other rubber parts such as bushes etc in the arms). Suppose the car goes into a ditch slowly where the assembly gets slowly pulled to it's maximum, there can be a grating type of sound that can emerge due to the extreme limits to which these rubber parts are stretched (in normal conditions, it is working only within a limited range in the middle zone). Sometimes, such sounds can also be caused by rubber which has dried and hardened. However, that may not be the case with a new car.
Regarding the toe-out, I am quite sure that mine has gone out of alignment. Will get it checked on Saturday at a wheel centre. If its out, I will kick up a fuss at Concorde.
I did some stretches at highway speeds today on the way back from office (due to having to reach for a doctor's appointment) and I must say the truck holds it's ground very well at high speeds and the braking definitely instills confidence to push even more.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 21st March 2014 at 10:02. Reason: Mention of high speeds removed. Please avoid.
Old 21st March 2014, 06:42   #2433
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasi405 View Post
Usually, the entire shock absorber and spring assembly tends to turn with the wheels..
Are you sure about this ? I think only the wheel turns, not the shock absorber / spring assy.
Old 21st March 2014, 13:43   #2434
Senior - BHPian

Mandeep - my feedback given below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandeep View Post

1) A dealer has Nov 2013 stock and are offering about 30k more discount over the 2014 version. The 2013 model also comes with a stock stereo system while 14 does not. Does it make sense for going with the 2013 version. Is there any refinement/change in the 2014 model compared to what was available in Nov 2013

To the best of my knowledge nothing in the 2014 model as reported in this forum. Hence try to bargain a bit more for the Nov model and go for it.

2) I had 255 tyres in my 2.2 Dicor and i have a perception that they gave me better braking and negotiation of traffic on highway speeds. Will it make sense to have fatter tyres in Storme?

There are many posts in this thread discouraging from upsizing for the Storme due to the narrower ( compared to the Dicor ) wheel well

3) I like the look and feel of VX dash. Are there any kits that can spruce up the dashboard of LX.

What exactly did you like in the Vx dash over the Lx ? Other than the clock and wooden inserts I dont think anything is missing. In fact I like the black and beige combination of the Lx with the fake aluminium inserts over the full beige of the Vx

Regards
Mandeep
narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2014, 13:56   #2435
Distinguished - BHPian

@Mandeep, if you are taking the 2013 model:

1. Do a full PDI. Record all items that need attention and ensure these are corrected before registration.
2. Ensure that the warranty is applicable from the date of purchase, and not from the date it was sent from factory. Base wty is for 3 years & Extended wty will be for 1 year.
3. Ensure that any AMC package you take is from the date of purchase.

Yes, as Narayan said, there are currently no changes in these two models. I personally suspect the rear discs will be removed in subsequent models.

Regarding the dashboard, the dark color dash of the EX & LX models is actually much better than the beige color dash in the VX. The dark color provides less reflection on to the windscreen than the light color
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2014, 18:30   #2436
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
This could be the clutch release bearing.
As anticipated, in the absence of the actual sound, they did the customary mechanical and electrical diagnostic tests and declared they could find nothing. And that everything is fine (did some forward-reverse and delared it definitely was not CRB).

Brake liners opened and cleaned. AGAIN. No replacement under warranty (this is the 2nd or 3rd time I am complaining of brake squeal as er service history).

Oil filler cap replaced. The threads had slipped (I guess courtesy the enthusiastic tightening with pliers at the oil change).

The black screw was holding a fuse box just above the brake pedal. Re-fitted. The blue fuse was a spare fuse which had not been put properly and had fallen out. Refitted.

Quote:
As for the grating sound, even with stock wheels, if the turning radius has been increased beyond max, there can be touching. Best is to do U turn on such a surface in full lock, get down, and inspect clearance.
The trailing arm bolts (upper arm) on each side were slightly loose and the slight resulting play on extreme lock and suspension action was causing the grating sound. Both sides were retorqued. These are apparently the big bolts just behind the upper mount of the front shockers.

Waiting for truck to come back.

Last edited by ebonho : 21st March 2014 at 18:32.
Old 21st March 2014, 20:10   #2437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Is this problem resolved ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
possibly one of the door position sensor switches was faulty ?
Strangely, the problem seems to have sorted itself out. Had it for about a day and a half and since then the lights are functioning fine. But when the problem was there, the usual shut down and restart thing did not work. Also realised that the door position sensors in the Storme are not the simple push switch type. Two metallic doodas stick out from the inside door edges, but try as I might, they could not be pushed back. Any ideas about how the door ajar sensors and the associated cabin lights work?
Old 22nd March 2014, 13:25   #2438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel385 View Post
Strangely, the problem seems to have sorted itself out. Had it for about a day and a half and since then the lights are functioning fine. But when the problem was there, the usual shut down and restart thing did not work. Also realised that the door position sensors in the Storme are not the simple push switch type. Two metallic doodas stick out from the inside door edges, but try as I might, they could not be pushed back. Any ideas about how the door ajar sensors and the associated cabin lights work?
Based on your description they seem like the sensors which VW, Skoda and other European brands use. They work in conjunction with the door locking mechanism, the only downside of using them is that if they go kaput then one has to change the locking assembly. I had faced a similar issue in my Octavia, sometimes the sensor would work and sometimes not. So its possible that the problem might reappear. Additionally, if possible please do post a picture.
maglev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2014, 18:18   #2439
Distinguished - BHPian

Removing the rear seats

No rocket science, but still:

To remove the rear seats:
1. Flip the seat down to expose the Frame

2. Remove the nuts. Will need spanner #13
3. Pull the lower end of the Frame to free the frame from the screw-threads
4. Pull seat from the top.
Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-seatframe.jpg

5. The seat is held at the top on a horizontal supporting rod. Two views:
Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-top-support-rod.jpg

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-top-support-rod2.jpg

6. Hooks on the seat frame that sit on the supporting rod.
Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-hooks-seat.jpg

Removing the seats has been a big help in freeing up space at the rear for long trips. Normally this would not have been a problem, but the seat covers on my seats are a little thick, and cause the seats to protrude into the luggage area even when folded.

Note:
Seats are specific to each side. Seat from left side wont fit in on the right side & vice-versa.

Last edited by condor : 22nd March 2014 at 18:42.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2014, 22:04   #2440

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Mandeep - my feedback given below.
Quote:
@Mandeep, if you are taking the 2013 model:
.r
Thanks Narayan and Condor for your valuable inputs. I am kind of leaning towards 2013 model now.

But I want to have a double din setup in the car instead of the single din being provided in the stock. Has anyone heard of HU replacement ie is there a possibility of selling the stock HU and getting a new one? Do the Tata dealers or after market guys do it?

Have tried to work out a deal for chrome alloys and tyres in Delhi. Getting Neo Alloys @6k and Yoko 235 @1500 for replacing the stock ones. Dont have a lot of clue about the quality of the Neo although i got an 'Is OK' sense from previous discussions in the thread.
Old 24th March 2014, 10:26   #2441
Senior - BHPian

Re: Removing the rear seats

Quote:
Removing the seats has been a big help in freeing up space at the rear for long trips. Normally this would not have been a problem, but the seat covers on my seats are a little thick, and cause the seats to protrude into the luggage area even when folded.
Same issue noticed here. Had to get the snap-on buckle straps lengthened so that the two ends could meet - for the same reason. When folded, the original lengths were falling short.
Old 24th March 2014, 19:14   #2442

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navsangeet View Post
Ii have replaced with Yokohama 245/70/R16 HT. please note it's not AT. My most of the driving was highways, so I don't need AT, HT is very good for Highways with very low noise.
Sorry for picking up an older comment. But I am also thinking about the 245 70 tyres. Navsangeet, can you please share a pic of your storme with these tyres. Have you faced any kind of alignment issues till now. Did they fit naturally in the well or did you do anything special to accomodate them.
Old 26th March 2014, 16:50   #2443
Distinguished - BHPian

@Mandeep, why not just go for MRF Wanderers ? These tyres have a wider contact patch, just like 245's. But since they are marked as 235, there will be no problem with wty. Samurai is using them on his Grand Vitara & says they are good. Also, not as costly as Michelin's.
Old 26th March 2014, 22:27   #2444
BHPian

I am in process of booking a Storme LX this or early next month in Pune, had TD at Concorde motors on weekend and with Pandit Auto today.

Storme is awesome truck and very refined over Dicor. Feels like moving from 1RK to duplex for me.

Typical attitude of Tata SAs kills the enthusiasm its like buy if you want or go. I have read somewhere that customer is always king but learned that it is exception when you are buying Tata product. However the customer relation management form company side is improved a lot for feedback etc.

They are offering only 15 K discount + matting and mudflats accessory + Exchange bonus of 20 K (not applicable for me)

So this deal is not looking attractive for me but lets see how it goes.

Thanks,
Vishal
Old 26th March 2014, 22:51   #2445
Distinguished - BHPian

@Thar4x4, discounts are standard & published on the website. ANything more will depend on your negotiation & other factors.

If you really liked the truck, then why are you letting a salesperson to come in between & stop you ? He will come into the picture only during the sale process. If not him, go to another dealer, or use a reference.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks