Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2014, 10:10   #2386
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I'm thinking of just getting a strip of that matte black rubberized non skid type of flooring/matting which they use in factories on shop floors and stick it there.
Doc, while that should work, it will not give the same finish as Plasti-Dip. The sheet will not take the contours of that plate. For a start, Plasti-Dip is better than others in this aspect.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2014, 14:05   #2387
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGarg View Post
3. Will it spoil the look of Pearl-champagne bumper?

Apart from this, has anybody tried the canned spray paints like this?
http://www.com-paint.com/consumer.aspx
There are color options available for the same and can be used & that should help in choosing the match for your car color.
Old 13th March 2014, 14:17   #2388
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
YGarg : 3. Will it spoil the look of Pearl-champagne bumper?

Apart from this, has anybody tried the canned spray paints like this?
http://www.com-paint.com/consumer.aspx
Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
There are color options available for the same and can be used & that should help in choosing the match for your car color.
@YGarg & Gowdare,

1) if one uses the body colored paint on this part, then how will it be different from OE painted surface ?

2) After using plasti-dip, if you paint the surface with body color, then this will also get scratched. So you are back to square one.

3) I havent found the touch-up paints to give good finish. May be I am not experienced enough to use it. I would not use it on body panels / Open painted surfaces.

Last edited by condor : 13th March 2014 at 14:18.
Old 13th March 2014, 14:55   #2389
Senior - BHPian

Can this be sprayed onto metal surfaces also ? Can one use this on the door sil which also gets a lot of scratches regularly ? I can understand it will be very difficult to apply over there since its not a removable part
Old 13th March 2014, 15:04   #2390
Distinguished - BHPian

@Narayan - isnt the door sill also fibre ?
Old 13th March 2014, 15:26   #2391
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@YGarg & Gowdare,

1) if one uses the body colored paint on this part, then how will it be different from OE painted surface ?

2) After using plasti-dip, if you paint the surface with body color, then this will also get scratched. So you are back to square one.

3) I havent found the touch-up paints to give good finish. May be I am not experienced enough to use it. I would not use it on body panels / Open painted surfaces.
I didn't mean to apply this paint after plastidip. Rather to keep a can of matching color paint handy and give a coat to the bumper part as and when scratches become unbearable. I thought so because IMO Plastidip coat of any color (or Clear) wouldn't suit Champagne Storme as nicely as it did on UB. I do agree that touch-up paint finish is not of factory quality, but if get a matching color; its not too bad either.
Still I liked the idea of Plastidip, and will give it a try if I'm able to find it in local market. Several other uses of Plastidip have also started brewing in my mind.
Old 13th March 2014, 18:11   #2392
Senior - BHPian

I am honestly more excited about the info that there is a grey cladding Storme going to be launched. There is a huge amount of peace of mind driving an SUV with raw grey unpainted cladding in our cities.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2014, 10:27   #2393
Senior - BHPian

Heard from a lil birdie that the upgraded Storme with revised interiors will be launched in the next couple of months. can anyone confirm this? I have no clue of the authenticity of this info since this came from the owner of a TML dealership. Unfortunately my regular contact at ERC has left TML so no insider scoops any more :(
himanshugoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2014, 15:17   #2394
BHPian

@ Lukeskywalker, do let us know how the coating holds up to usage. I wish there was a original TATA accessory similar to the Fortuner bumber protector.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-toyotafortunerrearbumperstepguard.jpg  

Old 14th March 2014, 15:21   #2395
Senior - BHPian

For the Brio that i have, i just took it to 3M and put their Film - for exactly the same reasons. I did see this film in a Storme during a Safari owners meet up and that's where i got the idea for the Brio. The 3 M Film can be a good option too.
Old 14th March 2014, 15:44   #2396
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
For the Brio that i have, i just took it to 3M and put their Film - for exactly the same reasons. I did see this film in a Storme during a Safari owners meet up and that's where i got the idea for the Brio. The 3 M Film can be a good option too.
I had tried the 3M option but due to the uneven surface they would not be able to apply the film coating.
CharlesA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2014, 19:05   #2397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had been to 3M for their vinyl wrap, but as you see, the ridged finish on the Storme bumper makes fixing the vinyl wrap impossible, I even tried a DIY with vinyl wrap bought from Ebay, but then again the serrated part cannot be effectively covered by vinyl wrap. In the case of your Brio, I'm quite positive that it's a smooth flat surface which makes it easy to cover with vinyl wrap.

Quote:
Can this be sprayed onto metal surfaces also ? Can one use this on the door sil which also gets a lot of scratches regularly ? I can understand it will be very difficult to apply over there since its not a removable part
narayan, it can be used even on door sills, in fact, that's going to be my next DIY project, one does not have to remove the part, masking is good enough and the over spray can easily be removed even after the coating dries.

Last edited by Lukeskywalker : 14th March 2014 at 19:07.
Old 14th March 2014, 23:11   #2398
BHPian

I have ordered two 311gm cans from Bombay. Planning to try it out on a wooden bar counter top in one of my projects, to see how transparent it actually is. One of the cans I will reserve for the bumper.
Old 14th March 2014, 23:18   #2399
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
narayan, it can be used even on door sills, in fact, ... one does not have to remove the part, .
For better durability, it will be good if the spray is done around the edge to the rear part of the door sill. To do this, the sill will have to be removed.
Old 14th March 2014, 23:29   #2400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Narayan - isn't the door sill also fibre ?
You are right. I checked today and noticed the fiber board extends into the metal frame of the door through a ribbed section

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks