Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2014, 00:09   #2416
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Ditto for the grating sound on extreme right or left steering lock and u turns. It does not come always / on level surface. Only on undulating up and down surface.
Get your rear diff checked. Also check the rear wheel bearings.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 19th March 2014 at 00:11.
Old 19th March 2014, 09:15   #2417
Senior - BHPian

The front co passenger seat plastic moulding juts out in my car, this fouls with dresses/sarees of ladies while getting out of the car, anyone else has a similar issue or is it a defect inherent to my car alone?

The pic with the offending plastic moulding circled in red:
Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-photo4-1280x768.jpg
Old 19th March 2014, 10:53   #2418
BHPian

This is same on the driver side too. My trousers tend to get caught once I a while. Co passenger has not conplained so far, though.
Old 19th March 2014, 11:27   #2419
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Get your rear diff checked. Also check the rear wheel bearings.
Tanveer, the sound is definitely coming from the front, on both sides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
The front co passenger seat plastic moulding juts out in my car, this fouls with dresses/sarees of ladies while getting out of the car, anyone else has a similar issue or is it a defect inherent to my car alone?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasi405 View Post
This is same on the driver side too. My trousers tend to get caught once I a while. Co passenger has not conplained so far, though.
Same in my truck for the driver seat. Got my trouser caught on it a few times in the begining. Guess I got used to it now so does not happen anymore. Mouldings on all other seats are fine and flush. Problem is that its not just a strip of plastic (that can be easily replaced). Its continuous with the entire seat side cladding which contains the levers and such. So the whole would need to be replaced.
Old 19th March 2014, 11:32   #2420
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Tanveer, the sound is definitely coming from the front, on both sides.
What size tires are you running? 255s or stock tires.
Can you describe all the situations when the sound comes, and explain a bit more?
Old 19th March 2014, 11:49   #2421
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
What size tires are you running? 255s or stock tires.
Can you describe all the situations when the sound comes, and explain a bit more?
I am running stock pressed steel wheels (Storme EX) and stock Bridgestone tyres. Both which came from the factory with the truck.

Let me explain - this is a new phenomenon and first time I have got this grating sound.

I was driving around at night in an area where there is a lot of construction work going on. Reached an intersection and sort of a dead end and had to do a tight U turn to go back the way I had come from. I had the window down because I had been stopping and asking people directions etc. I did a complete (to stop) right steering turn and since the kaccha road was quite narrow, the truck went off the road over big packed mud undulations during the right U turn. Both front wheels at very different levels. I think when/everytime the suspension compressed in a dip there was a grating sound.

I got back on to the road now facing the opposite direction, and went wide to the right a bit and now did a full steering lock on the left side and did a U turn back on to the same undulating section to see if the sound came from the left side as well. It did. In the same circumstances. i.e. full steering lock, u turning (slow speed), undulating surfaces with front wheels at different levels, and grating sound when suspension compressed in a dip.

I intially thought the same thing you probably are -that the tyre was grazing the wheel well. The reason people who put upsize tyres sometimes have to trim/cut part of the inner edges of the wheelwells (metal or fiber). But my wheels and tyres are stock.

What has changed in the recent past: (don't know if there is a relation)

1) Both front shockers

2) Both rear shockers

3) Both rear coil springs

4) Wheel alignment was done

Also as mentioned in my previous post, I somehow get the impression that the new shockers are not as stiff as the original ones.

The truck's front end feels "softer" - as in the front end dips more left and right while going into corners or doing direction/lane changes in a straight line than before earlier.

Hope this helps.

Also looking forward to your opinion on the tatatatatatat sound. Clutch bearing? Fan belt? Some bearing or something in the turbo? Loose injectors (this was suggested as a posible reason by the National tech lead). It went away when I pressed the clutch and engaged reverse and started moving backward. it has not reappeared since that day.
Old 19th March 2014, 11:57   #2422
Team-BHP Support

[quote=ebonho;3394000
Also looking forward to your opinion on the tatatatatatat sound. Clutch bearing? Fan belt? Some bearing or something in the turbo? Loose injectors (this was suggested as a posible reason by the National tech lead). It went away when I pressed the clutch and engaged reverse and started moving backward. it has not reappeared since that day.[/quote]
This could be the clutch release bearing.

As for the grating sound, even with stock wheels, if the turning radius has been increased beyond max, there can be touching. Best is to do U turn on such a surface in full lock, get down, and inspect clearance.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2014, 17:21   #2423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subraiyr View Post
All
Modification 2 complete over the weekend. Let me know your thoughts
Quite late in the day, but the DLR looks better than what I had imagined and refrained you from attempting.

To all Storme owners - How about putting roof mounted lights on the beast, I am sure that will add a lot of character to it.
Old 19th March 2014, 23:27   #2424
BHPian

Ebonho and others; the grating sound could also be coming from the shock absorber top mounts. When these are stretched to their limits, there can be a grating sound. This could happen when you are negotiating a deep ditch / undulation as well as when making lock to lock turns. Will investigate on this a bit further and revert. Btw, anyone faced the 'toe out' issue that I had queried earlier?
sasi405 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2014, 23:47   #2425
Senior - BHPian

This is the metallic bursting sound I had reported earlier for which I got advice from many of you to not take aggressive U turns in a 2.5 ton truck ! Its more pronounced when there is an undulation at the turn. Taking the turn very slowly can avoid this sound which probably points to suspension involvement as well. Hopefully we will find a solution.
narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2014, 11:34   #2426
BHPian

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Just completed a 3000km round trip to Jamnagar to see my brother's newborn son. Drove 1125 kms on the first day in 15 hours, since the roads were very good. The drive was very comfortable for everyone. The best part was the fill it-shut it-forget it feeling. The UFO had sufficient power all along on any surface(went to rann also). I am loving the highway behaviors of the storme, awesome ride quality and amazing braking. Completed 30k kms, given for service. Only one problem, hatch doors opening cylinder(one at the bottom) is leaking.

Guess its time to start planning the drive to heaven- LEH!

I see a lot of problems cropping up on this tread lately.

Quote:
Btw, anyone faced the 'toe out' issue that I had queried earlier?
Look back a couple of pages, me and ebonho had got our toe in toe out bolts replaced under warranty.

Last edited by stormerider : 20th March 2014 at 11:38.
Old 20th March 2014, 11:38   #2427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ebonho and others; the grating sound could also be coming from the shock absorber top mounts. When these are stretched to their limits, there can be a grating sound. This could happen when you are negotiating a deep ditch / undulation as well as when making lock to lock turns. Will investigate on this a bit further and revert. Btw, anyone faced the 'toe out' issue that I had queried earlier?
Sasi how can a fixed mount (bolted) "stretch"? I cannot be certain as to the timing of the gggrrrrraaacccchhh but it seemed to coincide with when the truck was tigh lock to lock U-turning and the BOTTOM of a deep undulation(ditch) - on the side the truck wa turning into.

The toe out and other alignment parameters do change immediately after alignment by the working of the independent suspension , especially in some potholes etc. This seems to be a commonplace thing as per the technicians doing the alignment at the TASC. So don't know then what is the use of doing oalignment if its going to shift the moment you hit the road in the real world. Never had these "unique" idiosyncratic issues in my Baleno for example, where I rarely if ever needed to look at my alignment and the steering and car always used to run arrow straight.
Old 20th March 2014, 12:17   #2428
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The toe out issue was present in Aria also. The solution was to change the bolt. Get it changed under warranty if your alignment is not holding.
Old 20th March 2014, 21:31   #2429
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel385 View Post
found the cabin lights on always even with all the doors properly locked. Any pointers as to the reason? (Cabin light's settings were to the central position-on with doors open only)
Is this problem resolved ?
Old 20th March 2014, 21:35   #2430
Distinguished - BHPian

possibly one of the door position sensor switches was faulty ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks