Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2014, 11:42   #2551
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thar4x4 View Post
I am already running on empty pocket because I moved from LX to EX on last minute after reading ebonho's review.
The EX has a lot of extras, but for me personally the driver seat (completely different - apparently even the contoured padding/material) and the roof A/C were must haves. Those 2 itself justified the paltry 60K extra I needed to pay at the time.
Old 10th April 2014, 11:49   #2552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
The EX has a lot of extras, but for me personally the driver seat (completely different - apparently even the contoured padding/material) and the roof A/C were must haves. Those 2 itself justified the paltry 60K extra I needed to pay at the time.
True.

For me seat height adjustment was not big deal as I am comfortable in current settings however arm rest is must for luxury feel.

Also front/rear fog lamp attached to stock harness and switch, inbuilt roof AC and rear wiper are main 3 things forced me to choose EX.

Edit: Now difference between LX and EX is 73000 which is reasonable (I think) for added features in EX.

Last edited by Thar4x4 : 10th April 2014 at 11:51.
Thar4x4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2014, 11:53   #2553
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
True.

For me seat height adjustment was not big deal as I am comfortable in current settings however arm rest is must for luxury feel.

Also front/rear fog lamp attached to stock harness and switch, inbuilt roof AC and rear wiper are main 3 things forced me to choose EX.

Edit: Now difference between LX and EX is 73000 which is reasonable (I think) for added features in EX.
But the difference between the EX and the VX is HUGE man. Almost 2 lacs at my time. Wonder why. Especially now (no leather seats, HU, etc.).
Old 10th April 2014, 12:01   #2554
BHPian

Quote:
But the difference between the EX and the VX is HUGE man. Almost 2 lacs at my time. Wonder why. Especially now (no leather seats, HU, etc.).
Yes. Now its 1.70 which is not justifiable for just air bags and miscellaneous things like 3rd row 12 V socket, electronically fold-able mirrors etc.
Old 10th April 2014, 12:07   #2555
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes. Now its 1.70 which is not justifiable for just air bags and miscellaneous things like 3rd row 12 V socket, electronically fold-able mirrors etc.
I got the 3rd row socket fitted for under a thousand bucks.

I also got the under bonnet light (Dicor style) fitted for another thousand odd bucks.

I dont need folding ORVMs.

I do need / want air bags. It would be nice for TATA to take the lead in India in the interest of passenger safety and provide these across all models and variants.

Incidentally, thousands of INNOVAs are being recalled because of faulty airbags. So its not like only TATA screws up as some would have us believe .....
ebonho is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th April 2014, 18:45   #2556
Distinguished - BHPian

NOM really, but I'm a bit confused about TML's strategy in the SUV segment. Is there any market survey involved in the decision making at all here? So the adverts say "take benefits of the reduced pricing due to revised excise rates on SUVs" and then, vitals like ICE are removed? Leather seats & HU both missing in the VX? Can they surf a bit in their own brouchers across the segments and compare the features of a SUMO GOLD / Sumo Grande GX & even Vista to the VX (let alone lower trims) please?

I'm disappointed. At some point, the brain starts to rule over the heart - especially with the price tags on the other side of a million rupees.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2014, 00:10   #2557
BHPian

Asking too much from a truck, I say. Even I was disappointed with the equipment levels in the Storme after sitting in a Manza, which had an info panel with DTE, outside temperature and steering mounted audio controls. However, whenever I drive the truck, the sheer pleasure of driving it takes away all the pain of not having any of these gadgets. If you want gadgets, I think its best one buys the XUV. The Storme is all about pure, unadulterated driving pleasure.
sasi405 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th April 2014, 13:36   #2558
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasi405 View Post
Asking too much from a truck, I say. Even I was disappointed with the equipment levels in the Storme after sitting in a Manza, which had an info panel with DTE, outside temperature and steering mounted audio controls. However, whenever I drive the truck, the sheer pleasure of driving it takes away all the pain of not having any of these gadgets. If you want gadgets, I think its best one buys the XUV. The Storme is all about pure, unadulterated driving pleasure.
I agree Sasi. For me personally the Storme was all about driving feel, space, size, and luxury, and dare I say, a significant dollop of feel good image too. I'm appreciating the quality of the single DIN Alpine unit too as you barrage through broken offroads at 60-70 and not once does your CD skip or sound waver. Simple things working well and having a good feel are more important to me than having a lot of jazz but which is fiddly and temperamental.

That said, I seriously miss having good cup holders that are functional. Also deep, so that they can hold taller bottles as well. Its a pain to keep unscrewing botles every time you want a sip.

Last edited by ebonho : 12th April 2014 at 13:39.
Old 12th April 2014, 15:09   #2559
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipulkamboj View Post

Hi DR, I think so too. The Storme is an excellent vehicle.

It is not only with Storme but all vehicles break down at one point of time. It is the lack of sense of urgency shown by TML is what lets it down.
Just to clarify, my storme never broke down. It was a momentary power loss with check engine sign issue that used to correct itself once I left the accelerator and pressed it down again. And it used to happen only on longer drives i.e. > 50 kms. In fact I got it corrected after driving almost 1000 kms. I must admit that I would have been really disappointed if it had left me stranded somewhere, thats not something one would expect in a new vehicle.

And thanks for the tip around the back seats being pushed hard in place. I was indeed not locking them properly.
DragonRider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2014, 12:03   #2560
Senior - BHPian

Guys
What's the price of the orvm ? Only glass portion. Cracked the right side one. Don't ask how :(
Old 14th April 2014, 12:11   #2561
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Guys
What's the price of the orvm ? Only glass portion. Cracked the right side one. Don't ask how :(
Friend did the same thing on his Safari Dicor recently. If you buy directly from the TASC, then only glass is not sold. You have to buy the whole assembly.

Otherwise, aftermarket replacements are available dime a dozen. Max 500 bucks.
Old 14th April 2014, 12:18   #2562
BHPian

Quote:
For me personally the Storme was all about driving feel, space, size, and luxury, and dare I say, a significant dollop of feel good image too.
But what about constant niggles, rattles and creaks? Are they not a sore point? The pain of paying so much and yet owning a vehicle that isn't built up to the mark and a company that offers terrible after sales that too in a metro like Bombay.
Old 14th April 2014, 12:22   #2563
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookkeeper View Post
But what about constant niggles, rattles and creaks? Are they not a sore point? The pain of paying so much and yet owning a vehicle that isn't built up to the mark and a company that offers terrible after sales that too in a metro like Bombay.
Except for the currently messed up wheel alignment , I do not have any niggles in my Storme.

There are no rattles in my Storme (except a very momentary harmonic vibration at low revs and a higher gear when sometimes driving in traffic and trying to pick up in the same gear).

Creaks, only the beading from the driver door and the mount of the driver seatbelt. Neither should be there. It irritates.

The above are the sum total of issues in my Storme.
Old 14th April 2014, 12:27   #2564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Friend did the same thing on his Safari Dicor recently. If you buy directly from the TASC, then only glass is not sold. You have to buy the whole assembly.

Otherwise, aftermarket replacements are available dime a dozen. Max 500 bucks.
But would the aftermarket ones have the heating function ?
Old 14th April 2014, 12:28   #2565
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
But would the aftermarket ones have the heating function ?
I don't think so. And the optical quality of the glass would also be suspect.

Most Viewed